shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some of your family jewelry traditions, or new ones that you want to begin?

For example, some of the traditions in my family:

- when a baby girl is born, she is given jewelry that she wears. This jewelry is then passed down to her daughters/granddaughters.

- baby girls get their ears pierced before their 1st birthdays.

- you receive one piece of jewelry at your wedding from your maternal grandparents as their blessing

- daughters of the family wear (at least) one heirloom accessory on their wedding day (to keep, all jewelry worn on the wedding day is given to the bride as hers absolutely)

Traditions I’d like to start, for any kids I might have:

- if I have a daughter, I’d like her to wear my wedding jewelry on her wedding day (if she likes it of course… but I thought it would be special, and it could become something that she passes down to her daughter). My mom broke up her wedding jewelry to make other pieces, so hers doesn’t exist anymore. I’ve seen pics of it and it’s not fully my style, but I thought it would have been lovely to wear it regardless on my wedding day.

What are some traditions from your family?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started giving my daughter small pieces for birthdays, Christmas, etc.
For HS Graduation I gave her a antique Yellow gold diamond ring (Approx .25ct)
Various Tiffany SS necklaces, etc. for Xmas
I've given her various gemstone and diamond rings, earrings
Pairaiba and White gold stud earrings for V Day
I plan on giving her a Aquamarine and white gold (her birthstones) diamond by the yard style bracelet on her birthday March 23rd
I helped her fiance' design a necklace this past Christmas with one of my emerald cut diamonds for her
She wants something similar to my avatar but much smaller in size, I am working on that design, hopefully she can wear that on her right hand as her something blue on her wedding day

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my family all the girls get a wee diamond ring for their 18th and a pair of diamond earrings for their 21st.
I gave my daughter the ring I got for my 18th to her for her 18th. She doesn’t wear it though. Doesn’t like rings but it might change, I hope.
For her 21st, in a few months, she has asked for blue diamonds which I’m buying for Lightbox.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mum left a diamond ring in her will for her only granddaughter's 16th (she is about 10 now i think)
We don't have the longativity gene in my family
i want to mount dad's onyx cuflinks onto braclete's for my sister and I

I have one piece of baby jewlery left
(I sent the rest of it for scap when i scraped a bunch of old broken and ugly stuff two years ago when i was broke and needed to pay property taxes)
In my case I don't get baby jewlery
We were never allowed to wear stuff except for good
in fact everything and anything nice was kept for good so we always grew out of things rather than wore them out
(When my dad got sick at 50 mum still had all the linnen they got for their wedding still in its packaging unused)

i don't have anyone to pass stuff onto, but i'll make sure any family stuff goes to my niece

Anyway anyway so back to the baby jewlery
its a name brooch
I plan on making it into a necklace so i can wear it again

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only daughter has absolutely no interest in jewelry. Her three brothers make up for it and buy it for their wives!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst I do have a few inherited pieces, and a few gifts from family - they come with every string known to man attached. Don’t resize, don’t polish, don’t fix any problems. Maintain current condition no matter what. Don’t even think about altering, repurposing, or reselling.

I want to start a new family tradition: I want the people who inherit my pieces to have lots to choose from, and I want them to know that they’re allowed to do whatever the heck they want with it! Keep, reuse, sell. Only requirement will be that they make sure to get their money’s worth if they sell - or my disapproving ghost will haunt them!!

IMO jewellery is meant to be enjoyed, and my family jewellery is un-enjoyable. If my kids and grandkids don’t want my jewellery, and they sell pieces and use the money to enjoy their lives more, and their kids turn out to be rockhounds - those kids can start their own collections when they’re grown up just like I did. ::)

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to start the tradition that we work our @sses off to make tons and tons of money, but live in poverty so we can spend the big bucks on fancy colored diamonds (graded fully natural by GIA) in Vivid Blue, Vivid Green and Red (no secondary modifying hues) with VVS clarity that we pass down to our kids as we buy them.

I'm starting this family tradition with my parents, effective retroactively 50 years ago.
Too bad I'm having no kids. :Up_to_something:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
No traditions in our family so thanks for sharing, these are all wonderful ideas for my future reference...

I want to start the tradition that we work our @sses off to make tons and tons of money, but live in poverty so we can spend the big bucks on fancy colored diamonds (graded fully natural by GIA) in Vivid Blue, Vivid Green and Red (no secondary modifying hues) with VVS clarity that we pass down to our kids as we buy them.

I'm starting this family tradition with my parents, effective retroactively 50 years ago.
Too bad I'm having no kids. :Up_to_something:
I like this idea too :lol-2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In our family, the girls get a ring for their 18th & a bracelet for their 21st.

We bought our daughter her first 'real' jewellery when she left Primary school for High school (age 11) which was a Tiffany heart tag necklace with her initial on. She wears it often during school holidays (no jewellery allowed at school). Our youngest also leaves Primary this summer & we are planning to do the same for her.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst I do have a few inherited pieces, and a few gifts from family - they come with every string known to man attached. Don’t resize, don’t polish, don’t fix any problems. Maintain current condition no matter what. Don’t even think about altering, repurposing, or reselling.

I want to start a new family tradition: I want the people who inherit my pieces to have lots to choose from, and I want them to know that they’re allowed to do whatever the heck they want with it! Keep, reuse, sell. Only requirement will be that they make sure to get their money’s worth if they sell - or my disapproving ghost will haunt them!!

IMO jewellery is meant to be enjoyed, and my family jewellery is un-enjoyable. If my kids and grandkids don’t want my jewellery, and they sell pieces and use the money to enjoy their lives more, and their kids turn out to be rockhounds - those kids can start their own collections when they’re grown up just like I did. ::)

So if you inherit a ring and it's the wrong size, you can't size it? How strange.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

I like this philosophy

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
We wear traditional Berber jewelry for weddings, that’s about it ! As they can be quite expensive, and too intricate for everyday wear, these are usually passed down.

What I would like to start :
- Tiny diamond studs for christening, then upgrades for following hopefully milestones. Absolutely not to be worn for anything other than special occasions with supervision though
- Like with hobbies, develop a taste for exploration of different styles (if they are interested at all!!) via costume jewelry, I find it empowering for a woman to be encouraged to explore and develop her own style (in due time)

Other than that, I think I would adapt to if the kid actually likes jewelry for a start, then wait and see what they actually like.
I don’t think I would be buying relatively expensive jewelry before college graduation :). (Although as a side note, if I am able to or choose to live somewhere where every teen has a Tiffany heart, then I would consider it my responsibility to not make mine stand out without I think)

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I buy my daughter jewellery for each birthday, Christmas & for any reason I can as long as it’s in my budget…. We always get a matching piece for each other for Valentine’s Day. This year fresh water pearl necklaces with our names in 14k gold.

All her jewellery will go to her children (if she chooses to have them). If not she can melt it down and create something new out of it.

We have a lot of matching jewellery. Two pairs of lab diamond studs, nomination bracelets (2each), diamond huggie helix piercings, gold bangle, both wear gold anklets (hers is a ladies bracelet) & Toe rings. Multiple charms, necklaces etc.

I got a gold signet ring when I was 8. She got hers at 5.

I wore a gold bangle as a child (& still wear 2 now), she got one for her 4th birthday & it’s never been off her wrist. She is 12 in April & it will eventually have to be cut off.

We both wear a neckmess of multiple chains.

She would like her nose done (tiny stud) like me , but not until she is 16-18. And her belly button done (I can’t get mine out ). As long as my ex husband agrees that is (he would as my stepdaughter has the above), but if he said no, the answer would be no until she is old enough to do it under her own stream.

She will get a ring for her sweet 16 like I did & a gemstone pendant for her 18th like I did.

My ex husband bought Tiffany necklaces for my stepdaughter for her 16th & 18th. I imagine her will do the same for her.
Her birthday is in a few weeks & Im still working on her jewellery for that.

She really is a mini me & I love it!

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
My mum left a diamond ring in her will for her only granddaughter's 16th (she is about 10 now i think)
We don't have the longativity gene in my family
i want to mount dad's onyx cuflinks onto braclete's for my sister and I

I have one piece of baby jewlery left
(I sent the rest of it for scap when i scraped a bunch of old broken and ugly stuff two years ago when i was broke and needed to pay property taxes)
In my case I don't get baby jewlery
We were never allowed to wear stuff except for good
in fact everything and anything nice was kept for good so we always grew out of things rather than wore them out
(When my dad got sick at 50 mum still had all the linnen they got for their wedding still in its packaging unused)

i don't have anyone to pass stuff onto, but i'll make sure any family stuff goes to my niece

Anyway anyway so back to the baby jewlery
its a name brooch
I plan on making it into a necklace so i can wear it again

I love the idea about your dad’s cuff links!!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy my daughter jewellery for each birthday, Christmas & for any reason I can as long as it’s in my budget…. We always get a matching piece for each other for Valentine’s Day. This year fresh water pearl necklaces with our names in 14k gold.

All her jewellery will go to her children (if she chooses to have them). If not she can melt it down and create something new out of it.

We have a lot of matching jewellery. Two pairs of lab diamond studs, nomination bracelets (2each), diamond huggie helix piercings, gold bangle, both wear gold anklets (hers is a ladies bracelet) & Toe rings. Multiple charms, necklaces etc.

I got a gold signet ring when I was 8. She got hers at 5.

I wore a gold bangle as a child (& still wear 2 now), she got one for her 4th birthday & it’s never been off her wrist. She is 12 in April & it will eventually have to be cut off.

We both wear a neckmess of multiple chains.

She would like her nose done (tiny stud) like me , but not until she is 16-18. And her belly button done (I can’t get mine out ). As long as my ex husband agrees that is (he would as my stepdaughter has the above), but if he said no, the answer would be no until she is old enough to do it under her own stream.

She will get a ring for her sweet 16 like I did & a gemstone pendant for her 18th like I did.

My ex husband bought Tiffany necklaces for my stepdaughter for her 16th & 18th. I imagine her will do the same for her.
Her birthday is in a few weeks & Im still working on her jewellery for that.

She really is a mini me & I love it!
Neckmess, lol, I love that!
You sound like me, I spoil mine with jewelry all the time.

My child has already been asking to have jewelry "like mommy." So I've started gifting her with old pieces of jewelry that I no longer wear and have very little resale value. E.g. a pendant that I got from my first "boyfriend" when we were in middle school. She frickin loves that thing.

I do have a set of loose gems of our birthstones that I plan to turn into a custom piece for her. Haven't decided on what yet. Maybe for her bday next year? Idk.

I did tell her she can have her ears pierced as soon as she's willing and able to deal with the healing process and keep them clean afterwards.

That's it for now. She'll inherit everything once I die. And at that point, they're hers to do what she will.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we had a family tradition/heirlooms. I have no daughters. Just a son. I do have four nieces. Nothing big, but I purchased pair diamond studs (14k .75-.80 ctw) as a HS grad gift for 1st two grads. Will do the same for next two.
...and probably do same for granddaughters and grand nieces in future/down the road. So guess I'm kinda starting the tradition.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's very casual - you are gifted jewelry of some sort for your sixteenth birthday.

My mom picked out a white sapphire ring when she turned sixteen (it's cute and she still has it), I ended up with a blue topaz ring, my sister has a synthetic emerald. When my DD turned sixteen, she received one of the Elsa Peretti bean necklaces in 18 gold. My 14YO currently loves earrings most of all, so I suspect that is what she'll be gifted for the tradition.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I credit by love for all things that sparkle thanks to my great aunty Netta
She died a widow with no children but was very close to mum
I got all her costume pieces to play with
i sometimes wish i hadn't lost them because they were well made compared to today's but i had so much fun playing with them i feel it wasn't a waste
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen i love how you gifted that old boyfriend ring to your daughter
Its getting a happy little 2nd life being loved again

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's very casual - you are gifted jewelry of some sort for your sixteenth birthday.

My mom picked out a white sapphire ring when she turned sixteen (it's cute and she still has it), I ended up with a blue topaz ring, my sister has a synthetic emerald. When my DD turned sixteen, she received one of the Elsa Peretti bean necklaces in 18 gold. My 14YO currently loves earrings most of all, so I suspect that is what she'll be gifted for the tradition.

Do you still wear it ?
My sister and i got silver signet type rings when i was about 12 and i sometimes wear mine as a signet ring on my pinky

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you still wear it ?
My sister and i got silver signet type rings when i was about 12 and i sometimes wear mine as a signet ring on my pinky

My fingers have gotten chubbier since I was sixteen, so I'm sad to say that my topaz ring no longer fits. I'm a bit sentimental about it because it is the exact shade of blue that I love in a blue topaz, so it still lives in my jewelry roll!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My fingers have gotten chubbier since I was sixteen, so I'm sad to say that my topaz ring no longer fits. I'm a bit sentimental about it because it is the exact shade of blue that I love in a blue topaz, so it still lives in my jewelry roll!

Oh that's sad
would it fit your pinky if it was resized ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results