shape
carat
color
clarity

What are my options? BN stone, BN Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
Maybe I''m not thinking of something correctly, here, but, if I buy a stone and a setting from BN, since their warantee is basically nothing, for the most part, and I''ll be insuring the thing anyway, what would the downside be to buying the two, having them shipped here separately, having it third party appraised(loosly, which you all say is better), set by a local jeweler, and over and done with?

(BN wants to send me the stone, have it appraised, send it back to them and they set it...which can be time-consuming and costly, due to the insurance of shipping)

What do you think? what are my options here?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I would purchase the setting from the local jeweler that will be setting it, and not from BN. You will be hard pressed to find a local jeweler that wants to take the risk of setting a stone for just $50 when they made no money off the sale of the stone or setting. They are more interested in taking the risk of setting it if you buy the setting too.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I don't like the idea of someone setting a diamond in someone else's setting. Having someone set a diamond they did not sell into one of their OWN settings is not so uncommon, but buying the diamond and setting seperately and having a third party put the two together is not something I would choose to do. The diamond does not have to be apprased loose, unless you want an in-depth appraisal. If you want an appraisal simply to verify what you have and for insurance purposes, having the diamond appraised while set is an option.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Choose a setting locally if you want it set locally. Otherwise have Blue Nile set it before they send it.

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
ok, well, what about all this "get a third party appraisal/inspection"? ''Cause it seems like the general sentiment for that is make sure the stone is loose. Hmmm. I guess I''m going to have to go call the appraisers. ...or maybe I''m just going to have to try to find a platinum setting around here! Thanks all!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
What is it that you want to get out of your appraisal? That will determine whether or not the diamond can be set during the appraisal.

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
Everything, basically.

I''d like for them to look at it without the GIA cert to get their unbiased analysis on the 4 c''s and the cut characteristics, as well as the value of the stone. Basically, I want to make sure I got what I paid for, and since the grading of a diamond is so...human error prone, I''d like to have maybe 2 people look at it for this.

Hopefully during this analysis, they will be able to tell me if the stone is the one the cert says it is.

Also, I''d like to get insurance on the ring, in total, (stone + setting) so, I need an appraisal done.

Now...I am planning on getting a VS1 clarity, so, can all this be done in the setting?

Obviously, this would be much easier if I can just get the stone set and sent to me.

Lemme know what you think! or if you have any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results