Which Diamond

• 2.700 G VS2

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • 2.416 F VS2

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

help1234

Rough_Rock
Personally, I would get the bigger diamond. I would not get a 1.8 mm setting ever, not just for a size 8 finger, but never with an over 2.5 carat diamond with a halo AND melee down the shank. Too delicate.

Did SHE pick this setting, or are you just trying to eek out a little extra size? 2.7 is gonna be noticeable, even in a solitaire. And, if you don’t return it, you can trade up later for $1 (not double like lots of places) and get her a 3 carat F for your first anniversary (okay, kinda kidding, but not really).
Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like most are saying the bigger diamond is OK and I should relax about the clouds. Good to know!

I hadn’t really been second guessing the setting up until now. She did not pick any of this with me - I’m on my own here. She gave me minimum 4 C’s she wanted and said she wanted a round halo with stones down the side, but that was where she wanted to limit her involvement. Part of the fun for her is the surprise, and the times I’ve tried to get more specific with her, she’s shut me down.

Is the concern here with the 1.8mm the actual look, or the durability of the band itself?

help1234

Rough_Rock
I agree the setting is too thin.

As far as the rest of the design, the fact that the stone looks to sit so high above the halo bothers me. If she picked this design, then fine, but if she didn't, I'd look for something different. You said this is a surprise, so I'm not sure if you know that she specifically wants a halo, why not have your diamond set in a temporary simple solitaire setting and let her pick the final setting after the engagement? I've seen many posts on PS where folks say they really want to be involved in their ring style so perhaps you could do that if she didn't pick out this setting or even say she wants a halo.

Good catch - I brought this up to the expert because I noticed the same. The diamond sits very high above the halo. She said that they can take personal preference into account when setting the stone, and set it somewhat lower. I don’t know how low they can go, but do you think that would help at all?

As I mentioned above, she doesn’t want to be involved in ring specifics (I’m sure maybe after if she wants to change something). She’s looking forward to the moment of being surprised with the ring. So she told me halo with the side stones, but that’s as much as she’d tell me. As much as it would be more practical to set it in a temporary solitaire, I know she wouldn’t appreciate that, even if it was temporary.

Any suggestions on different settings? WF does not seem to have much that has a 2+ mm band, 2+ carat weight and fits a size 8. This felt like it checked all the boxes and was the clean, simple look that fits her style. I know I could always go the diamond and setting separate, but that’s a lot more time, effort and coordination. Is there something on WF you might recommend, or something specific elsewhere either?

help1234

Rough_Rock

Would something like this fix my problem? If I went this direction, with the setting, would likely come down in size to 2.0ct or so. Do the diamonds in the halo seem bigger than the the other option, or too hard to tell from the picture? Are the size diamonds I’m looking for just not compatible with a halo in general?

This appears to be to be sort of an enhanced version of the setting I already selected, so maybe the high ring placement might still be problematic? Can anyone tell from the pictures?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends on her style. If it were me, and time permitted, I would go to someone like DK and have something custom made like these and then you could tweak them to your liking

People on here would help you with the CAD designs and then the ring would be made to fit the stone, you could have the band the width you desired and could pick the size of the stones in the halo, etc. It would at least be worth it to write to DK or another vendor and get a quote for cost and time. I think you could have WF ship the stone directly to the vendor. That's what I would do (time permitting, of course).
After looking at the options on WF, I agree with you that the choices are limited. You are buying a beautiful stone with a healthy budget so having a custom ring made would probably the best to do the stone justice. Just my two cents.

help1234

Rough_Rock
I guess it depends on her style. If it were me, and time permitted, I would go to someone like DK and have something custom made like these and then you could tweak them to your liking

People on here would help you with the CAD designs and then the ring would be made to fit the stone, you could have the band the width you desired and could pick the size of the stones in the halo, etc. It would at least be worth it to write to DK or another vendor and get a quote for cost and time. I think you could have WF ship the stone directly to the vendor. That's what I would do (time permitting, of course).
After looking at the options on WF, I agree with you that the choices are limited. You are buying a beautiful stone with a healthy budget so having a custom ring made would probably the best to do the stone justice. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the recommendation - the first ring is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but not sure time will allow for this design & customization process. I also think if I were to go custom, I would probably want her to be involved in any event (which she doesn't want to be until I propose haha). I think I might have to stick with designer rings for now and have that discussion with her later on if she wants to change something about the ring.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Size Matters I walk around with a 3.77 GIA H SI1 eye clean stone and it is breathtaking. So go for the 3.7 Oh yeah its in my photo to the left.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results