shape
carat
color
clarity

Westfield Bondi Junction incident

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All good here, we are the other side of Sydney.
Terrible event, obviously the man was not in his right mind. Tragically the woman with the baby, both were stabbed, died in hospital. Her 9 month old baby is receiving treatment and expected to survive.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reactions: CMN

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
That Westfield used to be my local shops years ago and I have many colleagues who live in the area so I am just hoping and waiting to hear. It sounds like there are still quite a few in hospital. The ABC was reporting about 8 or so at different levels of stability/criticality.

So terrible to hear about the new mum.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CMN Are you Aussie? I never realised!!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Terrible awful

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hubby and I were watching it on the news last night, I'm beyond sickened. We are near Melbourne, so a long way away, but it still feels close to home, I couldn't stop the tears last night, especially with the news of the young mother passing away. The whole thing is just gut wrenching.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
Such a tragedy.

This was my area before I moved up the coast. My property is 2km from Bondi Junction (Clovelly for those who know Sydney), and Westfield was my go to shopping area. I have many friends who live in the area. I have checked in with everyone and all are safe, thankfully.

My tenant and her family were going to go to Westfield at 3:30 but her children had had a big day at Luna Park and were too tired…..thank goodness.

Another friend, who lives in Bondi Junction, was in Westfield 15 minutes before it all unfolded. She said it was mayhem in the following hours.

Another friend was actually in Westfield while it was unfolding. She was in the supermarket at the checkout at the time.

When they realised what was happening one of the employees was fumbling trying to find the right key to unlock and close the shutters. He must have been so panicked…..the killer was standing at the top of the escalators.

She heard a loud bang and thought someone had fallen down the escalator…….she later realised it must have been the police officers gun.

They were eventually ushered out and under the Syd Einfeld Drive bridge as they were told there was an active shooter…..this was incorrect. She said she kept thinking this was another Lindt Cafe siege. Totally frightening.

No one was able to get to their cars, so she walked to a nearby bar that her son manages and had a calming glass (or two!) of wine before heading home.

She is fine but obviously very shaken.

This is an affluent area of Sydney. Things like this don’t happen there, or in Australia in general. I’m so very thankful for our gun laws here in Australia, this was an unimaginable tragedy but could have been so much worse.

My heart goes out to all those involved and had to witness this heinous crime and, most of all, to those who lost loved ones.

RIP ….we will never forget :cry2:

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Such a horrific tragedy! 5 women killed due to a man with mental health issues, and unfortunately these incidents are prevalent in Australia at the moment. We as a community have work to do.

We have friends in Bondi and thank goodness they are fine, pleased to hear that PS Sydneysiders are okay too!

Many blessings to the families that have lost loved ones in this tragic event.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So very sad and tragic for the families involved.
From the horror has come stories of bravery.
A man with a bollard brandishing it at the attacker, forcing him back down the escalators.
Two men, given the bleeding baby, who rushed to find clothing to stem the bleeding while on the phone to emergency services.
Another man confronting the knife wielding attacker and forcing him away from his wife and children and others.
Numerous stories of locked down stores, despite danger, reopening their doors to provide sanctuary to those fleeing.
And the solo Policewoman who tracked him down, called out to him to stop and put the knife down, and when he charged at her, a bullet to the heart. Then she performs CPR on him. Astonishing.
And the one that “got me”, a father who had covered his two very young daughters eyes with face masks and led them past the blood and bloodied bodies so they wouldn’t see the horror there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results