shape
carat
color
clarity

We're Supposed To Get Snow, Too!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Zoe said, we're supposed to get snow, too. It's not only the South which is supposed to get it. The current forecast (which is always wrong) says that the heaviest accumulation will be from northern New Jersey through southern New England, which may get as much as a foot. My town in Connecticut just got 18" about a week ago!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Griffin must be so excited! Another snow day for him. :appl:

We're supposed to get 8-14" here in northern NE. Some people I work with still don't quite believe it but I declared a snow day for everyone. I gave permission for everyone to take the day off and play in the snow. My principal laughed. :bigsmile:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm hearing 6-12 in for North Jersey and 4-8 in for Philly!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
My news says at least 12" for most of the state Deb. I'm coastal, so we'll have a slight reprieve. For a New England city, I have to say I'm quite disappointed with New Haven's ability to plow. Unless you live downtown (AKA Yale) it's like you don't matter. I've resigned myself to parking a block away because of the snow that was never plowed from the last two storms. If I had to pay city taxes I would complain, but I really don't have a foot to stand on in the complaint department.

Can my dogs borrow some of Griffin's fur Deb?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1294746639|2819583 said:
I'm hearing 6-12 in for North Jersey and 4-8 in for Philly!

I will take the 4-8 inches. Last year we got hammered. Expecting those terrible snowdrifts though.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My town sits right smack in the middle of the area they're calling "the sweet spot" i.e., we're gonna get slammed, HARD! They're forecasting at least another 18" for my area. I work 30 miles north so who knows if work will be canceled. I'll probably take the kiddo to day care and work from home if the office is open.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Rheumatologist's office called yesterday to ask if I wanted to reschedule my appointment for Wednesday. I asked why? and then found out about the snow. Oiy, I guess we haven't had one of these winter's in a while. What a pain in the neck! I hear we're going to get six inches or more.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I'm supposed to get 9-15" I'm so glad I don't have anywhere to go! I can't wait for Spring, all this snow is starting to get really annoying.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Boo! We're only getting 2-4" here in SE Michigan....

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I missed the last blizzard, so I'm excited for this Nor'easter! I'll definitely be working from home, but it's likely work will be canceled, so I'm looking for an adult "snow day"!

ETA: Deb, you'll have to take some Griffin pics! He's going to love it!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I'm in NYC (Manhattan) and they're predicting 8-15 inches..I'm hoping for a snow day since 2 of my 3 dcs are sick..and I really don't want to
schlepp out in a foot of snow to bring one child to school (and pick up).

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl|1294752791|2819623 said:
My Rheumatologist's office called yesterday to ask if I wanted to reschedule my appointment for Wednesday. I asked why? and then found out about the snow. Oiy, I guess we haven't had one of these winter's in a while. What a pain in the neck! I hear we're going to get six inches or more.

depends on what Ch. you watch but some forecasters are saying the Island may get more than the city. Be safe

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady|1294756634|2819646 said:
I missed the last blizzard, so I'm excited for this Nor'easter! I'll definitely be working from home, but it's likely work will be canceled, so I'm looking for an adult "snow day"!

ETA: Deb, you'll have to take some Griffin pics! He's going to love it!

NEL-

Griffin has been happily lying in the snow left from the last storm ever since he came home from the breeder five or six days ago! It has been in the mid twenties to low thirties here, so most of the snow is still on the ground and he just lies down in a pile of snow and goes to sleep! I am a little ashamed to admit this, but he has been sleeping outside at night, too! It started because we had a "fight" over his going into his crate and he refused to come back inside one night. He was so happy to sleep outside (as he did when he was at the breeder's) that I haven't forced him to come in when he balked at doing so since that night!

My father wakes up at 3:30 or 4:00 AM, so I know that Griffin won't be stranded outside forever if I go to bed at midnight and leave him outside, but never in a million years would I have left any of my other dogs outside at night!!!

Deb/AGBF

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, they're saying about 12" up here. I'm not going to hold my breath for that amount, but even 6" in the morning will keep my little Civic from making it to work. Yay snow day!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Well CT has scheduled a Emergency Management telephone conference for noon today. I let you all know what I can about what they say. :D

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Deb, my motto is to let sleeping dogs lie. If he's happy out there, no reason to force him inside. Even Byron still likes to nap outside in the snow and he's missing some fur, haha.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
A flake has yet to fall, but as of 9 p.m. tonight, Boston is officially in a snow emergency, which means our office is officially closed and I don't even have to work from home! Adult snow day!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I have to work at 0500 tomorrow, luckily my commute is only 2.5 miles otherwise I would have slept her at work. I may actually come in around midnight if the snow is really bad, just so I'm not late.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be safe everyone. For once, Philly won't get the brunt of it, 4-8 is what they are saying. I feel for all of you NYC and north... Boston it says 2 feet??

PSA: Check in with your elderly neighbors who may not have family near by.. ::)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
School = cancelled tomorrow :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1294783356|2820072 said:
PSA: Check in with your elderly neighbors who may not have family near by.. ::)

Such a good thought, Lisa! Our next door neighbor is a widow who lives alone; she turned 90 about a month before my father did! The neighbors here really look out for her, snowblowing her walk and her driveway, but she gets pretty well shut in by these snows! She lets everyone in the neighborhood use her driveway if he needs to get a car out of the way of the plows, too!

You are such a good soul to remember elderly neighbors!!!

Hugs,
Deb

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just spoke with my friend in Virginia and she said it JUST really started snowing hard there within the last hour, so I think its arrival into the NE is going to be later than expected. Our office is opening at 10 unless the storm is really really bad. I'll probably work from home though. Stay safe everyone!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1294789747|2820108 said:
I just spoke with my friend in Virginia and she said it JUST really started snowing hard there within the last hour, so I think its arrival into the NE is going to be later than expected. Our office is opening at 10 unless the storm is really really bad. I'll probably work from home though. Stay safe everyone!

That's good it's delayed, at least I won't have to deal with a lot of snow on my early commute.

I'm sooo jealous of all of you who can work from home! Stay safe everyone

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are excerpts from the latest snow update from our local newspaper. I thought they were worth reprinting; they are kind of folksy.

From, "The Greenwich Time":

"It's going to be messy.

For the third time in less than three weeks, Greenwich residents will be digging out as a massive snowstorm rolls through the area Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Snowfall predictions range from 11 inches all the way up to 25 inches, but it is not the worst Daniel Warzoha, the town's emergency management director, has seen.

'Absolutely not, this is not '78, '81, '84. This is minor so far,' Warzoha said about the battering the area has seen since Christmas. 'This is not the worst we have seen by a long shot.'

Warzhoha, who spent Tuesday afternoon setting up the town's Emergency Operations Center in the Town Hall Meeting Room, continued to list other major winter weather events he's experienced as a firefighter and emergency management director.

'In 1978 (Gov. Ella) Grasso shut down the state,' he said. 'In 1973, an ice storm paralyzed Greenwich for quite a few days. There have been a lot of incidents in my career, even in the late 1960s when I started as a volunteer (firefighter) we had 3-foot snowstorms.'

So far, Greenwich hasn't experienced that this winter season, but 18 inches of snow fell during the Dec. 26-27 blizzard, followed by 6 inches last Friday.

(snip)

While Warzoha said the blast of snow isn't expected to be as heavy as the years he cited, he said it still is going to be a challenge for residents.

'It is going to be a serious situation that we are going to work our way through," he said. "We are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.'"

And there you have it!!!

Deb/AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not excited at all about this snowstorm because my dh is in L.A. this week for business and I am worried it will mess up his return on the red eye Thurs night to Fri morning. And we always spend snowstorms together and go to the park and walk around and enjoy the beauty of the fresh snowfall. And since he is away and I am missing him this will make it even more difficult for me. He proposed to me during a snowstorm too! And the worst of it is that my job is probably going to be closed tomorrow so I won't even have that to keep my mind off missing him :((

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snow day tomorrow! :appl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I usually do my grocery shopping on Sundays, but completely forgot to buy beef broth for some chili I'd planned on making tomorrow, so I just ran out to Hannaford to pick some up. It was crazy--there was essentially no meat in the entire store. And somehow even all the broth was gone (I managed to find a box, though). I asked the clerk if it had been crazy today and she said yes, it was nuts all day, then quieted down in the afternoon. But as soon as the schools were canceled, it got crazy again, haha. Ah, storm preparation!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Just drove back home from FI's work in that snow (what takes 20 mins to get home...took about 45-50...its 4:15 AM :().....just wow. NOT good. I basically skated home because every road including highways were covered in ice.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good luck, everybody! Hope you have electricity to read this. Best thing is not to fret & just chill & enjoy being home. Drink hot toddies!!!!

Deb -- Interesting article. We lived in Greenwich in the early 90s, on North St., past the Parkway. Backed up to the reservoir. Heard coyotes sing almost every night from the woods. "Our" house (it actually belonged to my cousin, who moved to New Hampshire but didn't want to sell the house in a bad market), according to satellite photos I looked at recently, is being torn down & replaced by a McMansion. Greenwich has changed a lot since then.

We were there during a HUUUUGE storm -- the one "The Perfect Storm" was written about. Incredible winds, the snow fell sideways, and I'm sure at least 2 ft. of it. We had visitors from Holland at the time who had never experienced anything like that. Great time in the back yard with the Siberian Huskies, getting blown off our feet. We snowshoed around one afternoon.

--- Laurie

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1294787839|2820077 said:
School = cancelled tomorrow :bigsmile:

Lucky! :sick:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results