shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to Kruger Park last weekend- Pictures!

April20

Ideal_Rock
We went to Kruger Park for three days this past weekend with a couple friends. It was one of the coolest experiences! If you are ever traveling in or near South Africa, you must try to plan a trip to go! We saw four of the big five- lion, rhino, buffalo, elephant. We did not get to see a leopard. We also saw baboons, hippos, crocodiles, impalas, wild boar, wildebeast, jackyl, hyena, zebra, monitor lizard, some other little monkey and others I am sure I am leaving out.

We entered the park about midway up the western border, at the Orpen Gate. We stayed at the Tamboti Tent camp just past that gate the first night. We booked a Safari tent, which was affordable and quite comfortable (wood floors, beds, fridge, etc). The first afternoon, we traveled east towards the Satara camp (about the midway point east/west across the park) and then drove back west towards our camp. The animals really come out at sunset! We got back to the camp just in time to NOT be locked out of the main gate. They are very strict. If you do not make it into the camp by the time they lock the gate, they can opt not to let you enter. We spent the evening grilling steaks and chicken and hanging out. It was such a nice evening!

On Saturday, we got up at the crack of dawn (410 am), much to everyone's displeasure and headed out the gate at 445. It was worth it! Within 5km of leaving the camp, we saw four lions. Three headed towards us thru a field and eventually ended up on the road and a fourth walked from the opposite direction down the road and joined them. SO.COOL!!! We traveled northeastern on a gravel road thru the park and eventually made our way to the Letaba camp, which is about 2/3 of the way north into the park and towards the more eastern side. It's elephant country for sure. We saw tons and tons of them, including babies! We had a safari tent again and I must say, it was MUCH nicer. It was basically insect proof, which the first tent WAS NOT. The camp is huge- it has an elephant museum, shops, movie theater and best of all... a pool! It's late spring here and it was hot. The pool was needed!!

We grilled out (or as the SA's call it, braii'd) again and had hyenas visit just outside the fence by our tent. I couldn't get good pics at night, but saw another on the road the next day. We left at the crack of dawn again. Getting up that early is not easy. We decided to head back south and go much further south and exit the Kruger gate, which is about 1/3 up into the park. We decided to go this far south as I thought we would stand a better chance of seeing more lions. While still in the more northern section, we saw a hyena on the road, tons of giraffes and a rhino ran across the road in front of us. He was only about 10 meters away- thankful we weren't closer at the time as he was about the size of the car!! I was right about the lions too- after we were further south than we had been previously, we saw five. Two on the side of the road and three from a distance of 200 meters or so. We also saw a huge herd of elephants at a watering hole. It was an amazing sight, I must say.

If we were to do it again, we would go for more like 5 days and drive less each day. We spent so long each day in the car, we were toast by late afternoon. We would also stay in camps away from main gates (Letaba was, Tamboti was not) and stay at two different ones for a couple nights each. It's really too much to move camp every day.

I took an obscene amount of photos. I'll post a few of the best.

Antelope variety.JPG

baby baboons so cute.JPG

black rhino from distance.JPG

Giraffs1.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
more pics!

elephants at watering hole.JPG

lions in the road.JPG

juvenile male lion up close and personal.JPG

elephant eating tree.JPG

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think I might die of jealousy right now. Holy cow!

April20

Ideal_Rock

hyena on road. he's ugly.JPG

female impala-she came to our tent in the camp.  she just wants a snack.JPG

mama and baby giraffe.JPG

zebra up close.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock

african sunrise.JPG

african sunset.JPG

check these antlers!.JPG

Safari Tents.JPG

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that is amazing!!!

April20

Ideal_Rock

elephant herd in river.JPG

monitor lizard.JPG

wild boar.JPG

wildebeast.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock
That's all for now.

I do think this ranks as one of the best trip experiences of my life so far!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
soooooo AWESOME :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1320941491|3058648 said:
I think I might die of jealousy right now. Holy cow!

I agree...this would be a dream trip for me!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! I would absolutely kill to do that trip. It looks amazing! More photos please!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AMAZING photos!!!
Thank you so much for sharing them

Were you really that close to a young lion?
Scary!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1320961102|3058960 said:
AMAZING photos!!!
Thank you so much for sharing them

Were you really that close to a young lion?
Scary!

It was about a meter outside the car door. He was pretty docile. They are very used to cars. He didn't even blink when we went by!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Here's a few more pics- some of the park itself.

And fun fact! Kruger Park is the size of Wales or the state of New Jersey. It's big!

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

April20

Ideal_Rock

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome trip! Kruger is one of my most beloved places. I've been going every year for over a decade. It's amazing. You were lucky to see rhinos. They have been poached to near extinction, and two sub-species have become extinct over the past few weeks. It's one of the issues that is most upsetting to South Africans.
I'm glad you had such a good trip and took great photos. The female impala is actually a female bushbuck. They are so cute.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results