shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to a bridal show today...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
There was a bridal show in town this weekend...and I was given free tickets. My boyfriend said we should go. I was really looking forward to it. We made up a wedding date (well, it is when we want to get married, we just aren't engaged yet). I have to say- I didn't love the experience. The exhibitors were like vultures! I've gotten less pressure on a used car lot. Seriously. If I walk by and say "no thanks," leave me the f*** alone! And the question! Questions, questions, questions. I felt like I was getting the third degree. If I want to share information, I will.

I think this experience just confirmed our desire to do a very small, very simple destination wedding.

Has anyone else had this same reaction at a bridal/wedding expo? Maybe it's just me since I'm sort of anti-wedding?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I've never been to a bridal/wedding expo but I think it could be really overwhelming-if you don't want to have a "traditional" wedding, then, nothing wrong with that-you should do what you want! but I think you can have a more traditional wedding without all the hoop-la of the bridal show

merbear1215

Rough_Rock
Actually, the only bridal expo I have attended was for my then roomate. She was very into the wedding planning thing (this expo was like 20 months before their wedding). It was not for me at all. I rather liked not being the bride, because as you said, it seemed that being the bride got you a lot of pressure. However, on the other hand, people would say "when is your wedding" I would say "I'm not the bride", and it was like I didn't exist. And while I didn't want the pressure, I thought "hmm, not the best business tactic. I'm not the bride now, but someday I could be." Anyway, I am getting married on Sunday and NEVER even thought to attend one of these functions throughout our wedding planning!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I had to work at one of these yesterday, it's no fun on the other side either!

I think bridal fairs are good to go to if you don't have connections to people in your area. If you're really looking for a photographer, florist, etc. You can also win some neat prizes like free tuxedos. We handed out coupons to our store. So, there is some value to attending. On the other hand, they can be overwhelming and exhausting.

I think if you go to one, just don't even stop at a booth if it doesnt interest you at all.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I went to one and didn't really enjoy the experience. I think the way to get more out of it is to go in with a specific goal of vendors you need to find for your day. You can't go in with the intention to browse or it won't be much fun, since everybody really just wants your business. We went into it with a goal of finding a DJ. Having a goal made it easy to focus on every DJ booth, get cards, talk to people, then move on. It wasn't really fun to just randomly talk to vendors, or loiter around (which it seems like you found out). But since we actually needed a DJ, it was super helpful to have them all in one place at one time so we could tell them our date, ask if they were free and how much they cost, and make a decision right then. So much easier than searching online and having to call 5 different DJs!

The second we found a DJ, DH and I were out of there like a shot though. Haha.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl said:
I think if you go to one, just don't even stop at a booth if it doesnt interest you at all.

That's what I tried to do! But the vendors would step right in front of me and starting talking. Less is more, people...less is more.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a Bridal Expo in Boston, really, just for the hell of it. I knew I wasn't going to use any of the services offered since I knew I was getting married in Mexico....but I kind of wanted to just be the "bride" for the day and hang out with my MOH. I needed to get some ideas about bridal gowns too.

So, not to be a boozbag, but what made it fun was the cash bar, the bridal fashion show, and they had some sample bands that were a hoot to watch! I ended up winning a raffle, a $400 coupon (or something like that ) to a VERY popular Boston area wedding cake company. I obviously didn't need that so I handed it over to the lucky girl next to me. Hope she used it!

Overall, it was fun. But technically useless to me!

Diamondhalo

Rough_Rock
I've been to three now, and found it really helpful when looking for venues....on the other hand if you're looking for something either high end or unique or a little more your style you're not going to find it - those vendors operate via word of mouth alone.. (or it seems like it) and they don't need to be at these shows.

At first I was a little overwhelmed and gradually convinced I needed one of everything they were selling..I would consider myself a smart cookie so I was surprised when I found myself actually considering all these extra add-ons I never wanted before.

Vendors can be quite pushy these days. And WHAT is with the price discrepancy between <service or product> for a wedding and the exact same <service or product> for a generic party!? A wedding tax? I don't support fibbing to your vendors but I also don't want to support vendors who take your money and run with it...

I do admit the cake tasting was fun!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a bridal expo shortly after getting engaged. To say it was overwhelming is to put it very mildly, and I was happy when we left.

That being said, some of the stuff was very informative. Cake samples told me who to avoid, and who to call back. The bridal gown stores let me know when they'd have sample sales, or would sometimes give out a coupon. It also let me know that nearly all of the service vendors were out of my price range, but at least that meant that I didn't have to find out later on in the process. It also was a sort of wake-up for my mom and grandmother who have been out of the bridal loop for decades, to 1) see the prices of everything, and 2) see what is being offered.

This was the only bridal expo I went to, but I am having a fairly traditional wedding, so don't feel the need to be relegated to a destination wedding if that's not what you want. But if it is, go for it!

nicoleben

Shiny_Rock
I have been to two bridal shows and another one next weekend. Yes I totally agree with you.. they do pressure you.. ask a lot of questions. I only go to see if I can win anything! The first time I went I won a facial from a local salon and lia sophia jewelery.. the 2nd one i went to i won 250$ off of my DJ :)) Yes, it can get annoying, but they usually give 3,000$ as a grand prize at each one so it is worth a shot to go! Not to add that each vendor also gives prizes that are drawn at the end of each show. If they are bothering me I simply say, No thank you I already have someone who is doing my flowers/pics/etc.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
I went to one big one with my Mom and let me tell you, there's a reason I haven't attended one since. The vendors were pushy, rude if you declined to speak more with them, and quite frankly, made me not want to have an actual wedding at all! I did all my research via the Internet using various wedding related websites, loads of bridal magazines, and through forming great relationships with a couple trusted vendors who then recommended other awesome vendors.

I guess bridal shows are great if you have no idea what you want but I just happened to know down to the very last detail. I guess I just don't see what people can find by going to them that isn't already either on the Internet, advertised in a magazine, etc.

**Edit**

One thing that REALLY bugged me about the whole experience was the fact that they totally disregarded my Mom/her questions/etc. They treated me like the typical Bridezilla client which I'm the furthest thing from. They all spout out this "fairytale dream" crap that I just was not at all interested in hearing about...lol

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I went to one in Houston and took my sister with me. I wasn't getting married in town, so I wasn't looking for any vendors... just thought it would be cool to get some ideas and free cake.

My sister and I had a great time! We hung out, ate some yummy samples, took tons of pictures of flowers and table decor for ideas, and got a really fun photobooth strip to commemorate the day:) Making fun of the "runway" fashion show was also fun. Seriously, why are you walking in a wedding gown to "should have put a ring on it"? Isn't the song about people who are single and therefore AREN'T engaged? I also ran into an old high school friend and got to meet his fiance. I don't remember feeling pressured, but I also don't have a problem politely saying no and walking away. I also understand that the reason they are there is to ask for my business, so I wasn't annoyed by them trying to sell me stuff.

My point in posting is to let others know that it can be fun if you go with the flow. You don't have to be on a mission to get something out of the day. Just have low expectations, bring a friend, and make sure to make a separate email to enter all those drawings! I wouldn't go a second time, but don't regret going once.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results