shape
carat
color
clarity

Well I did it! I''m starting the G.G. program with GIA!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh! I''m so exicited for you too! Please let me know how the final goes, but I know you are going to rock right through it! (no pun intented) lol

Thanks Kelli!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I got my course book this weekend. I SO want to do this! Problem is that I have no idea what I''d do with it when I''m done. So would it be a waste? Would I be better off taking some actual practical classes - like metalsmithing (which I''ve looked into and can''t find much)? How much time are the classes taking you guys at home? What expenses are there besides tuition? Books? Shipping? I assume you have to ship stones back and forth at some point?

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Hoofbeat, that''s great that you got the course book. I think it''s a little expensive just to take for fun. I do plan on getting into the field at some point in the next few years. For the full GG, there''s 5 courses and 3 labs. You can only take 1 course at a time and each has a predetermined length. For ex: the first course is 3 months - has 7 sections, w/ a quiz on ea section and 1 final. I started the book Sunday morning and I''ve already completed the first 4 sections and hope to have the entire class done by this Friday. ( those 4 sections probably took me 4-5 hrs total)

So you can set your own pace and get it done pretty fast if you''d like to. The 3 labs do have to be taken at a campus though. And you do have to buy books and there is shipping.

The first course was $130 + 40 for the book and 20 for shipping. The next course is $1300 I believe and $150''ish for the book + shipping. All of the rates should be in your course book.

I think when it''s all said and done for the GG, I''ll probably spend somewhere between $9K - $11K (depending on what kind of microscope I get or rent).

Only the last class requires the stones shipped to you and I''m 99% sure you don''t have to pay for shipping (I''m sure it''s just rolled into the tuition for that course).

Hope that helps!
9.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I''d love to get into the field. But I wouldn''t know where to start with that. So I guess it''s more of a cold feet type thing. My fear is that I do this and then can''t do anything with it. Kind of like when people graduate from college and can''t find a job in their field. That type of thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results