shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, I’ve had the vaccine, anyone else?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My aunt got her first dose of the Moderna vaccine 9 days ago. She had little reaction to the dose except a sore arm until yesterday- day 8. She woke up with a hot itchy arm with a growing rash. After going to the doctor he gave her an antibiotic and a steroid and also recommended Benedryl. I was looking on line at side effects of the vaccines and I'm seeing quite a number of people who have had the same thing happen at day 8 after getting the first dose of Moderna. Sounds like cellulitis. Just thought I'd let everyone know. This does worry me a bit

@pinkjewel I am sorry to hear this and I hope your aunt is feeling better. I have to read further to see if she reported her symptoms as I think that is important to do. Sending her many healing wishes.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vaccine appts went great this afternoon, took about 70-75 minutes from the time we pulled in until we exited ... very smooth process, wonderful staff, very impressed ... mom did fine, and so did I ... I didn't feel a thing and afterward felt only the slightest pain at the injection site .. we'll see what tomorrow brings. We already have appts for the 2nd dose next month.

I am very hopeful that vaccine clinics and superstations will receive more quantity and more timely vaccine supplies so that many more people have access to the vaccine. We're hoping my DH's age group will be eligible for the vaccine maybe in Spring? Hard to say, since there are so many 65 and older still waiting ...

Wishing everyone a good weekend.

Very pleased to read this @marymm. Glad your vaccine appointment went smoothly for you and your mom and hope your DH can get the vaccine sooner than later.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got DH signed up for his vaccine for Feb 3rd. 147,000 signed up the first day so was a little worried as we don’t seem to get that much vaccine each week. So excited we are finally starting.

Yes! Good luck and please keep us posted.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI.

Just a snip from that article.

"Delayed injection-site reactions (those with onset on or after day eight were noted in 244 participants (0.8%) after the first dose and in 68 participants (0.2%) after the second dose. Reactions were characterized by erythema, induration, and tenderness, and they resolved over the following 4 to 5 days. Solicited systemic adverse events occurred more often in the mRNA-1273 group than in the placebo group after both the first dose (54.9%, vs. 42.2%) and the second dose (79.4%, vs. 36.5%). The severity of the solicited systemic events increased after the second dose in the mRNA-1273 group, with an increase in proportions of grade 2 events (from 16.5% after the first dose to 38.1% after the second dose) and grade 3 events (from 2.9% to 15.8%). Solicited systemic adverse events in the mRNA-1273 group lasted a mean of 2.9 days and 3.1 days after the first and second doses, respectively (Table S5). Both solicited injection-site and systemic adverse events were more common among younger participants (18 to <65 years of age) than among older participants (≥65 years of age).

Four cases of Bell’s palsy reported in the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine trial group...

Key limitations of the data are the short duration of safety and efficacy follow-up. The trial is ongoing, and a follow-up duration of 2 years is planned...

"

And this is interesting.
"The next few months alone are likely to see at least five new vaccines on the U.S. market, with several more in development"

Additional (new) vaccine to come. Hopeful info.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And specifically about the Moderna Vaccine.

"
The recently authorized COVID-19 vaccine developed by Moderna and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) was 94.1% effective in preventing symptomatic COVID-19, according to phase 3 trial results published December 30 in The New England Journal of Medicine.

No cases of severe COVID-19 occurred among participants who received the vaccine, known as mRNA-1273, and there were no safety concerns.

The US Food and Drug Administration on December 18 issued an emergency use authorization for the vaccine, a lipid-nanoparticle-encapsulated mRNA vaccine expressing the prefusion-stabilized spike glycoprotein.

The trial began in July and enrolled 30,420 adults in the United States. Volunteers were randomly assigned in a 1:1 ratio to receive either two doses of the vaccine or two shots of saline placebo 28 days apart. The average age of the participants was 51 years.

In all, 196 cases of symptomatic COVID-19 occurred at least 14 days after participants received their second shot — 185 cases in the placebo group, and 11 in the vaccine group.

In a secondary analysis that included cases that occurred at least 14 days after the first shot, vaccine efficacy was 95.2%, study author Lindsey R. Baden, MD, of Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, and colleagues report.

About half of the participants who received mRNA-1273 experienced moderate to severe side effects, such as fatigue, muscle aches, joint pain, and headache, after the second dose. Most adverse events resolved within 20 days.

Future Studies

Future studies will assess the vaccine's effect on infectiousness.

Both the Moderna vaccine and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine "begin to protect recipients approximately 10 days after the first dose, with maximum protection after the second dose," said Barton F. Haynes, MD, in an accompanying editorial.

That both have "near-identical 94% to 95% vaccine efficacies — and that both vaccines were developed and tested in less than a year — are extraordinary scientific and medical triumphs," said Haynes, director of the Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, North Carolina.

"mRNA technology has the potential to radically change vaccine design for future viral outbreaks," he said.

Continued safety monitoring and analysis of virus escape from protective immune responses will be important, Haynes added.

Subgroup analyses by age, sex, race/ethnicity, and risk for severe COVID-19 showed "maintenance of efficacy across the board," tweeted Medscape Editor-in-Chief Eric Topol, MD, leader of the Scripps Translational Science Institute in La Jolla, California.

Topol highlighted the absence of severe COVID-19 among participants who received the vaccine. All 30 participants in the trial who developed severe COVID-19 were in the placebo group. One death among those participants was attributed to COVID-19.

The study was supported by the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority and the NIAID. Baden is a deputy editor at the
The New England Journal of Medicine and received NIH grants during the study. Baden collaborates with federal agencies, companies, and foundations on HIVand COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials. Some study coauthors are employees of Moderna or disclosed ties to pharmaceutical companies or grants from foundations and federal agencies. Haynes owned Moderna stock at one point during the past year, has received grants from the NIH outside the submitted work, and has patents pending related to COVID-19 vaccine development. He has collaborated with Baden on HIV vaccine research projects.

N Engl J Med
. Published online December 30, 2020.
"

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Well, that's encouraging that they didn't record any cellulitis. However, this reaction that is happening 8 days later than the injection is concerning. None of the people who are reporting having this problem had any issues (except the normal sore arm for a day or 2) until 8 days later. They all are describing the same reaction- hot, swollen, itchy-but not painful and a rash that spreads. My aunt has circled the area and will report if it gets larger. I also gave her the FDA and Moderna phone numbers to report what has happened. I could not find anyone that is reporting these same reactions following the Pfizer vaccine. My aunt is now questioning whether she should get the second dose. Other people online who've had the same thing happen are also commenting they are concerned about getting a second dose.

I started with a rash at the injection site about 24 hours after first dose. 48 hours after that it was a full body severe rash, no infection or cellulitis. I declined to take steroids as now I can't get the second dose and they felt that steroids may reduce any immunity I'd build from the one dose I got. It all cleared up over about 3 days after it peaked. I haven't known anyone else this has happened to though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! Good luck and please keep us posted.

Thank you. DH has some significant health issues so we are so relieved he is scheduled, as is my 90 year old Mom. Not an easy process to get through to schedule. I wish there was a consistent process for all states as this is way too confusing and frustrating for people. I worry about those who don’t have anyone to help them when they can’t figure it out themselves, especially the elderly. I am hoping the new administration will help straighten it out!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. DH has some significant health issues so we are so relieved he is scheduled, as is my 90 year old Mom. Not an easy process to get through to schedule. I wish there was a consistent process for all states as this is way too confusing and frustrating for people. I worry about those who don’t have anyone to help them when they can’t figure it out themselves, especially the elderly. I am hoping the new administration will help straighten it out!

Yes agreed. My parents don't do internet but my sister is helping them. It is not easy. I tried but I couldn't get them anything and we have our hands full here with Greg's surgery last week and recovery and all the follow up appointments. I felt guilty I couldn't get them an appointment but my sister is on it. On a different (but somewhat related) note it is so ridiculous how they are deciding who gets the vaccine.

I know people who got it who are retired health care workers and not seeing any patients and my own sister who was labeled essential from the beginning and has not missed one day at work cannot get it. Because, in NY at least, Veterinarians are not in the first few groups. Ridiculous. Her DH got it at the hospital because he is in healthcare but not a veterinarian and my sister, who has severe asthma and is going to work every day, still cannot get the vaccine. And she is among people who bring their animals in to the clinic daily. Not right. IMO. At all. She has been working since the beginning of the pandemic. NO time off at all. Because the animals need her. And this is how the state shows their appreciation. It's disgusting if you ask me.

I am relieved for you @rcjtraveler that your DH is scheduled as is your 90 year old mom. May the vaccine process go smoothly for them and may they have no adverse reactions.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Yes agreed. My parents don't do internet but my sister is helping them. It is not easy. I tried but I couldn't get them anything and we have our hands full here with Greg's surgery last week and recovery and all the follow up appointments. I felt guilty I couldn't get them an appointment but my sister is on it. On a different (but somewhat related) note it is so ridiculous how they are deciding who gets the vaccine.

I know people who got it who are retired health care workers and not seeing any patients and my own sister who was labeled essential from the beginning and has not missed one day at work cannot get it. Because, in NY at least, Veterinarians are not in the first few groups. Ridiculous. Her DH got it at the hospital because he is in healthcare but not a veterinarian and my sister, who has severe asthma and is going to work every day, still cannot get the vaccine. And she is among people who bring their animals in to the clinic daily. Not right. IMO. At all. She has been working since the beginning of the pandemic. NO time off at all. Because the animals need her. And this is how the state shows their appreciation. It's disgusting if you ask me.

I am relieved for you @rcjtraveler that your DH is scheduled as is your 90 year old mom. May the vaccine process go smoothly for them and may they have no adverse reactions.

Thank you Missy. I hear you about the way people are being prioritized. I am shocked with some getting the vaccine before others that are at a much higher risk. While I know so many are anxious to get theirs, I don’t feel it is right to go before those at higher risk. Just my opinion.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Hi PinkJewel, I’m sorry your aunt is going through this. For my reference, where are you finding “reaction“ data? My elderly parents are getting vaccinated soon and I would like to know the full spectrum of side effects with the Moderna (or Pfizer) Vaccine. They have access to the Moderna vaccine.

I hope this issue starts to fade for your Aunt soon. Please let us know how she is doing.

I don't know if they list everything and be sure to scroll down to read comments from people who have had the vaccine. The website is Medshadow.org

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
@pinkjewel I am sorry to hear this and I hope your aunt is feeling better. I have to read further to see if she reported her symptoms as I think that is important to do. Sending her many healing wishes.

thanks Missy- I gave her the phone numbers to call and report so hopefully she has followed through!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FYI.

Just a snip from that article.

"Delayed injection-site reactions (those with onset on or after day eight were noted in 244 participants (0.8%) after the first dose and in 68 participants (0.2%) after the second dose. Reactions were characterized by erythema, induration, and tenderness, and they resolved over the following 4 to 5 days. Solicited systemic adverse events occurred more often in the mRNA-1273 group than in the placebo group after both the first dose (54.9%, vs. 42.2%) and the second dose (79.4%, vs. 36.5%). The severity of the solicited systemic events increased after the second dose in the mRNA-1273 group, with an increase in proportions of grade 2 events (from 16.5% after the first dose to 38.1% after the second dose) and grade 3 events (from 2.9% to 15.8%). Solicited systemic adverse events in the mRNA-1273 group lasted a mean of 2.9 days and 3.1 days after the first and second doses, respectively (Table S5). Both solicited injection-site and systemic adverse events were more common among younger participants (18 to <65 years of age) than among older participants (≥65 years of age).

Four cases of Bell’s palsy reported in the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine trial group...

Key limitations of the data are the short duration of safety and efficacy follow-up. The trial is ongoing, and a follow-up duration of 2 years is planned...

"

And this is interesting.
"The next few months alone are likely to see at least five new vaccines on the U.S. market, with several more in development"

Additional (new) vaccine to come. Hopeful info.

Thank you for this very helpful info Missy!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ended up with a large ( quarter size) lymph node on my left clavicle On day 7. Dr says it’s probably a reaction to the Moderna but if not gone in 2 weeks a chest X-ray.
Thats the only reaction I got.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ended up with a large ( quarter size) lymph node on my left clavicle On day 7. Dr says it’s probably a reaction to the Moderna but if not gone in 2 weeks a chest X-ray.
Thats the only reaction I got.

Gee :(2 we all sure hope its a reaction and disapairs asap

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I received my first dose of the Moderna Vaccine two days ago. The only side effects are a little edema, warmth and soreness of the arm muscle at the injection site. Of course it doesn't help when one of your fur babies uses your arm as leverage to reposition herself.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Just got my 90 yo Mom’s first shot today with second appointment scheduled! She got the Pfizer vaccine and is feeling fine at this point. I don’t know how some elderly will get theirs if they don’t get help with the scheduling process!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got my 2nd injection today. My husband and daughter had very sore arms after the 1st shot and they are complaining again, you would think someone has been beating them with a lead pipe the way they're carrying on. :roll:Frankly the teeny little mild discomfort I may be experiencing doesnt even register on my pain-o-meter.

MsCocoChanel

Rough_Rock
I received my 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine about 3 weeks ago as a frontline healthcare worker. I did experience injection site pain for about 2 days, slightly worse than the annual flu vaccination but not bad enough to take NSAIDs or Tylenol. On Day 2, I felt a little more fatigued than usual and a bit achey, which was very transient. People seem to develop more adverse reactions with round 2 of the vaccine and my next dose is due soon so I’ll keep you posted.

Janabike

Rough_Rock
Healthcare worker here. The “rash” that pops up for some people at the injection site is becoming a known side effect. One of my coworkers got it 12 days after the first injection! It was a big rashy circle around the injection site but resolved after a couple of days w/o incident.

Everyone in my immediate work group is getting the 2nd dose of Moderna now. A variety of reactions to dose #2 ranging from. It much to feeling very sick for 24-36 hours. One person got the swollen lymph node after both doses.

I’m getting my second dose on Friday. Even if I feel quite sick for a day or two, I feel privileged to get the shot. I’m just going to keep reminding myself that it‘s better than getting COVID!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I FINALLY was able to schedule myself for the 1st dose of the vaccine! After days/weeks of constantly refreshing the website, calling pharmacies about cancellations, and an infuriating SNAFU in which I got my tetanus booster without realizing it would mean no COVID vaccine for 14 days, I am scheduled for 2/2!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Update on my aunt who got the rash 8 days after the vaccine. It started to dissipate (doctor had her on Benadry, antibiotics and another med), only to come back yesterday with increased redness, heat, swelling, and itchiness. She went back to her doctor and she still think it might be cellulitis and has given her a different antibiotic. They have advised her not to get the second dose of the vaccine.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
First dose was last Friday. I’m a 1A employee with direct patient contact. It’s ridiculous it took this long to get registered in my state. 2nd dose is at the end of February. I should have made it at the end of the day bc I hear you get sick with second dose.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update on my aunt who got the rash 8 days after the vaccine. It started to dissipate (doctor had her on Benadry, antibiotics and another med), only to come back yesterday with increased redness, heat, swelling, and itchiness. She went back to her doctor and she still think it might be cellulitis and has given her a different antibiotic. They have advised her not to get the second dose of the vaccine.

Poor lady
In the future i wonder if people who for valid medical reasons like your aunt who only got the one doze if they will give her a different type of vacine to make sure she is covered

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the joke's on me. I had my 2nd injection Monday. That night I woke up with fever, chills and feeling like I'd been hit with a truck. I was in bed all day Tuesday. Today is much better, but my Dr says that my reaction is not at all unusual. That being said, I'd still get the vaccine

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the joke's on me. I had my 2nd injection Monday. That night I woke up with fever, chills and feeling like I'd been hit with a truck. I was in bed all day Tuesday. Today is much better, but my Dr says that my reaction is not at all unusual. That being said, I'd still get the vaccine

Yes, I have heard that the second vaccine causes a bit more of a robust reaction than the first. I have had friends who have had both vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer) and the first generally causes a sore arm for a day or two and the second causes some aches and pains and chills and a low grade fever. Feel better and congrats on getting both vaccines. It's wonderful you and your family were all able to get both vaccines.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh I am sorry to read this. Do they believe then that she would have this reaction to the Pfizer as well? So now her only recourse is not to get any Covid vaccine at all? :(

Maybe down the road there will be other vaccines she can tolerate better. I hear there are many they are working on at the moment.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results