shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, did I mess up? Thoughts?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would likely have to go down in color/clarity to stay in the same price range for a Super Ideal. This fits in your setting and
would be easy to upgrade down the road if you should choose. You have to decide what's important to you at the moment.
Hard for us to tell you what to do. (I feel for you!)

neither its cameraistocloseitis.

I will admit. I laughed at that.

I can see it without the camera though. Is that normal for a diamond?

I just cleaned it, so I'll have some new pictures up shortly.

Tyty333 thank you for the link. It does make me really think about it now :/.

Not sure how I feel dropping in clarity, AND color, and a teensy bit in size even. Maybe if I had a ACA next to this ring the comparison would make an easy sale. It looks like Whiteflash is in a different state than me though :/.

The smallest sliver of sun is peeking through... and this little diamond is trying it's best to keep me impressed.
20210117_111334.jpg 20210117_111441.jpg 20210117_111508.jpg 20210117_111519.jpg 20210117_111616.jpg 20210117_111621.jpg 20210117_111633.jpg

Attachments

• 20210117_111635.jpg
    20210117_111635.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210117_111642.jpg
    20210117_111642.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. You have already been reassured that you have chosen a beautiful diamond yet YOU brought up the idea of recutting and the issue of DSS. If you pLAN to obsess over these two issues— return the ring already. Why keep it if it’s not mind clean? The doubts will only multiply as time goes by and it will be too late.

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
I’d go with @tyty333’s choice if there’s any doubt at least you would feel you have a super ideal cut. F is still in the colorless zone and VS1 is eye clean and the face up size is actually bigger at 6.87 x 6.89 vs 6.86mm x 6.81mm.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If her friend is getting a 1.25 and you think that is around the size of her family and other close friends, then the one you have may be perfect! I was just saying for the amount you are paying, you could get a larger stone with lower color and clarity since you mentioned D VVS. No one here thinks G VS is low quality! A lot of people go down to J color (or lower) to get a larger stone. In your case, it sounds like you are the one stuck on D VVS and not her. Have you ever had a conversation about would you rather have a smaller stone that's D VVS versus a larger one that's F or G VS? Because finding out what she prefers is the way this ends up happy. I think it is awesome you got the pictures of those two rings that she tried on!

I may be a little sensitive to this because my daughter told her bf that there was a very specific ring design she really loved and wanted, and if he wanted it to be a surprise, to please ask me when the time came. I waited and waited and he never asked me. He went and got a ring almost exactly like the one you now have...beautiful setting (not so great diamond but it was a family stone). But it was not the setting she loved and she was disappointed. He worked it out to get her the one she really wanted, but I think he learned a very important lesson about listening to her, because the gift was about what would please her to wear the rest of her life, and not him. In this case, it doesn't sound like you really have any input from her other than those pictures, so maybe she really doesn't care?

If her friend is getting a 1.25 and you think that is around the size of her family and other close friends, then the one you have may be perfect! I was just saying for the amount you are paying, you could get a larger stone with lower color and clarity since you mentioned D VVS. No one here thinks G VS is low quality! A lot of people go down to J color (or lower) to get a larger stone. In your case, it sounds like you are the one stuck on D VVS and not her. Have you ever had a conversation about would you rather have a smaller stone that's D VVS versus a larger one that's F or G VS? Because finding out what she prefers is the way this ends up happy. I think it is awesome you got the pictures of those two rings that she tried on!

I may be a little sensitive to this because my daughter told her bf that there was a very specific ring design she really loved and wanted, and if he wanted it to be a surprise, to please ask me when the time came. I waited and waited and he never asked me. He went and got a ring almost exactly like the one you now have...beautiful setting (not so great diamond but it was a family stone). But it was not the setting she loved and she was disappointed. He worked it out to get her the one she really wanted, but I think he learned a very important lesson about listening to her, because the gift was about what would please her to wear the rest of her life, and not him. In this case, it doesn't sound like you really have any input from her other than those pictures, so maybe she really doesn't care?

She has never specified color to me really, but it sounds like the people are Brilliant Earth (where her friend went ring shopping) were steering her towards colorless because all of the jewelery I've bought her is white gold. Her friend got a lab 1.72 marquise with side stones in a gold band with a super ideal cut VS G color. Her friend confirmed that their taste is different though and and said my girlfriend was only really looking at a solitaire setup or a halo with thin bands.

My girlfriend has however sent me so many different links and photos of rings across social media daily for the last year that all of my targeted ads are for diamond rings lol. I feel for you and I had what I had imagined as the perfect ring picked out from Ben Bridge for a long time and finally showed it to her and she did not like it at all. She said when the time came to buy a ring to ask her friends because the know what she likes. There was another very intricate setting that was almost what she likes that I found and really adored but in the end we vetoed it because it would be a gamble if she'd truly like the basket style.

I/we know she likes solitaires or halos. Most everything she sends me is round. The range of the center stones of everything sent has been from 1.25ct to 3ct. The colors from what I can tell and have researched all seem to be colorless usually E and D range. She has mentioned she likes hidden halos and sent numerous pictures of those as well. She almost always sends one with a pave band. Everything has been a super skinny band, even her friends advised going small on the band per her preference.

She recently sent me a picture of a huge diamond, at least 3 carats. And I replied that it was massive. Her response "well it can be smaller. Just the ring style I like. Anyways the middle on that one isn't a diamond it's moissanite. I prefer real but decently sized." When I asked what decently sized meant to her she said "1.25 carat. That's what they had at brilliant earth and seemed fine with me."

That's kind of where this whole hesitation regarding my ring's carat size stemmed from, that conversation. I know I nailed the setting. I know the carat size is "decently sized" to her... but I feel like when a woman says something is decently sized it means they are settling/not quite what they actually want.

My girlfriend is very modest and would never flat out tell me it HAD to be a certain carat size, she doesn't even tell her friends that. I just want to make sure she's happy with it. I was feeling pretty good until her comment of a 1.25 being decently sized.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She has never specified color to me really, but it sounds like the people are Brilliant Earth (where her friend went ring shopping) were steering her towards colorless because all of the jewelery I've bought her is white gold. Her friend got a lab 1.72 marquise with side stones in a gold band with a super ideal cut VS G color. Her friend confirmed that their taste is different though and and said my girlfriend was only really looking at a solitaire setup or a halo with thin bands.

My girlfriend has however sent me so many different links and photos of rings across social media daily for the last year that all of my targeted ads are for diamond rings lol. I feel for you and I had what I had imagined as the perfect ring picked out from Ben Bridge for a long time and finally showed it to her and she did not like it at all. She said when the time came to buy a ring to ask her friends because the know what she likes. There was another very intricate setting that was almost what she likes that I found and really adored but in the end we vetoed it because it would be a gamble if she'd truly like the basket style.

I/we know she likes solitaires or halos. Most everything she sends me is round. The range of the center stones of everything sent has been from 1.25ct to 3ct. The colors from what I can tell and have researched all seem to be colorless usually E and D range. She has mentioned she likes hidden halos and sent numerous pictures of those as well. She almost always sends one with a pave band. Everything has been a super skinny band, even her friends advised going small on the band per her preference.

She recently sent me a picture of a huge diamond, at least 3 carats. And I replied that it was massive. Her response "well it can be smaller. Just the ring style I like. Anyways the middle on that one isn't a diamond it's moissanite. I prefer real but decently sized." When I asked what decently sized meant to her she said "1.25 carat. That's what they had at brilliant earth and seemed fine with me."

That's kind of where this whole hesitation regarding my ring's carat size stemmed from, that conversation. I know I nailed the setting. I know the carat size is "decently sized" to her... but I feel like when a woman says something is decently sized it means they are settling/not quite what they actually want.

My girlfriend is very modest and would never flat out tell me it HAD to be a certain carat size, she doesn't even tell her friends that. I just want to make sure she's happy with it. I was feeling pretty good until her comment of a 1.25 being decently sized.

"Colorless" means D-F, and most people can't see tint in a G because it's still very white. Sounds like she wants something relatively large, and going with a D/VVS means sacrificing size. For most people, G/VS2 is a sweet spot where the stone is eye clean and white but they can get bigger carat size for the money.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Think she gave you very strong hints that she wanted something around 1.25 and you caught on. That’s what a lot of her friends and coworkers have. But they probably don’t have the D vvs great cut to boot. She’ll be very happy.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I think it's great that you're being very thorough and detail-oriented in trying to make your girlfriend happy! As you know, engagement rings are a hefty purchase and you essentially got some of the best specs possible for a 1.25 ring. I do not think it's too small and I think the size will look great since her hands are small as well.

Reading between the lines as someone who also had the engagement ring conversation with her bf fairly recently (I live in SF too!), I gave ranges of what I would be happy with (1.75-2.2 size, colorless to nearly colorless range, etc) knowing what our agreed-upon budget was.

I want to preface this by saying that I think the ring is BEAUTIFUL, SPARKLY and I do NOT think you should be worried. The other, much more knowledgeable people on the site have reassured you so I think it's now about being MIND-CLEAN. For me personally, I would not complain if everything I asked for was met, but deep deep in my heart, perhaps I would ask myself why he would not have gone up a little more in size and sacrificed as little on color/clarity as long as it was within the colorless bounds. Salespeople will always steer you towards D/E because they are more expensive, and while some people appreciate the perfect specs, some people are fine with going a little down. D vs. F - will your gf be able to tell the difference? I only say this because you seem a little worried and that's what's nagging at you. If you think your gf will truly desire a slightly bigger ring, and there's a good return window, I suggest you go for it. Otherwise don't worry, the ring truly is beautiful and you should enjoy a job well done.

I think it's great that you're being very thorough and detail-oriented in trying to make your girlfriend happy! As you know, engagement rings are a hefty purchase and you essentially got some of the best specs possible for a 1.25 ring. I do not think it's too small and I think the size will look great since her hands are small as well.

Reading between the lines as someone who also had the engagement ring conversation with her bf fairly recently (I live in SF too!), I gave ranges of what I would be happy with (1.75-2.2 size, colorless to nearly colorless range, etc) knowing what our agreed-upon budget was.

I want to preface this by saying that I think the ring is BEAUTIFUL, SPARKLY and I do NOT think you should be worried. The other, much more knowledgeable people on the site have reassured you so I think it's now about being MIND-CLEAN. For me personally, I would not complain if everything I asked for was met, but deep deep in my heart, perhaps I would ask myself why he would not have gone up a little more in size and sacrificed as little on color/clarity as long as it was within the colorless bounds. Salespeople will always steer you towards D/E because they are more expensive, and while some people appreciate the perfect specs, some people are fine with going a little down. D vs. F - will your gf be able to tell the difference? I only say this because you seem a little worried and that's what's nagging at you. If you think your gf will truly desire a slightly bigger ring, and there's a good return window, I suggest you go for it. Otherwise don't worry, the ring truly is beautiful and you should enjoy a job well done.

Thank you.

I have already reached out to whiteflash to get the ball rolling on potentially getting an ACA diamond and setting from them.

It's definitely me being caught up on the color and clarity. I see everyone praising the ACA and how it's such an upgrade even over already ideal/excellent stones, and I think I'm at the point where I might go the WF ACA route. I'll keep everyone updated of course.

Edited to add: She is born and raised in SF. Maybe you know her :wavey:

Just wanted to keep everyone updated on this.

-The first ring has been returned.

-I've been in contact with Liza at Whiteflash. She's been amazing to work with.

-The new ring should be here just in time for the planned proposal still!

-I made some more room in the ring budget by siphoning from the little stash I had accumulated for truck modifications :blackeye:. I know it's worth it though.

-I will make a separate thread once the ring arrives, but for now I'll leave a link with the stone that I went with. The setting will be a WF Contemporary with some customizations done to it.

Hoping that the inclusion under the table won't bother me enough to want to upgrade it going forward. I was really wanting to one and done this ring, although it seems the common consensus is that is never the case :rolleyes:

Also it seems like there is no private messaging feature on here. @tyty333 I tried searching for you on Loupetroop to send you an email as that appears to be how PSers are communicating with each other?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Btw I was raised in SF. So I would suggest considering going up in size, closer to 1.5. Nevermind. You just did exactly everything I suggested. That WF F looks spectacular and smart cause I bet she will use that upgrade option someday. She is in the Bay Area so larger stones are not uncommon. Please post thoughts and pics when you get it. I bet you will be wowed.

Last edited:
Yes. Btw I was raised in SF. So I would suggest considering going up in size, closer to 1.5. She in the Bay Area so larger stones are not uncommon and she did send you pics of big honkers so she won’t kick something bigger than 1.25 outta bed. I agree with everyone that most people would not consider a G not white enough. Reaching out to WF is a great idea cause if she had an upgrade option I would bet money that she may use it someday.

I went up to a 1.6 ACA. On post #48 I provided a link and update :)

Unfortunately I can't edit my original post for people who are new to the thread :S

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went up to a 1.6 ACA. On post #48 I provided a link and update :)

Unfortunately I can't edit my original post for people who are new to the thread :S

No sorry I just saw it. Savvy forward thinking guy. Wish you could have taught my DH but you’re 23 years too late. And he has been paying the price since our 15th anniversary. So well done!!

No sorry I just saw it. Savvy forward thinking guy. Wish you could have taught my DH but you’re 23 years too late. And he has been paying the price since our 15th anniversary. So well done!!

As you said though, being in SF those large stones are fairly common. I may not be out of the woods just yet :rolleyes:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
The WF diamond is absolutely gorgeous, and your GF will without a doubt love it! I thought your previous stone was lovely on its own merits, but this one is on another level. Congrats on an excellent choice!!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

-I made some more room in the ring budget by siphoning from the little stash I had accumulated for truck modifications :blackeye:. I know it's worth it though.

-I will make a separate thread once the ring arrives, but for now I'll leave a link with the stone that I went with. The setting will be a WF Contemporary with some customizations done to it.

Hoping that the inclusion under the table won't bother me enough to want to upgrade it going forward. I was really wanting to one and done this ring, although it seems the common consensus is that is never the case :rolleyes:

Congrats! Can’t wait to hear about your proposal story. Please post pics of the ring when you get it and hand pics after you propose. So exciting!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is WONDERFUL!!! Oh my goodness, she is going to be thrilled!!! There are very few women who'd prefer a 1.25 D VVS over a superideal 1.6 F VS2! Both will be white looking to everyone, yet one definitely will be seen as larger! That's also a size that would be a forever size for most women, although you have the lifetime upgrade option just in case on a future anniversary you want to upgrade the diamond!

I will also add that you're getting more for your money. BE is known to be a little on the higher priced side, and certainly they don't carry the very top cut diamonds, either. I salute you for being open to other options when you came here, because I think her ring will be outstanding! Please do come back with pictures! We want to see the ring and also hear what she thinks after the proposal!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are from Whiteflash and I have a lot of pictures saved of various size stones. I wanted to show you this picture, because it shows stones the size you had at first and then two 1.5 ct stones. Your new one will be slightly larger than those. It's a great difference, but not too big. I wear a size 5.5 and once had a stone that was 1.58 G VS1 and about the same diameter as your F. I'll post that, too, so you can see the size on the hand.

WF.7mm.7.4mm brand removed.jpg IMG_2894.JPG

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh myyyyy!!!!! I’m 1000% sure your girlfriend would be super happy with this diamond!!! Its 100% better than your first purchase, the middle black part of the previous diamond really concerning! And this 1.6 F is perfect!!! And F is still colorless. Please update us with the final ring and if you don’t mind update us with how your proposal goes and how your girlfriend like ACA after comparing with her friends BE diamonds. We PSers love stories =)2 and it can be educative for next readers whether its worth it to get super ideals or it looks the same. Oh and you saw the 3ex D VVS too right? Can you please tell us how you think about the 3ex vs ACA when you got ACA in hand like do you see any difference, etc? Thank you so much!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results