shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, did I mess up? Thoughts?

Hello All!

I will do my best to keep this short and save the frustrating stories of my diamond search.

To keep this short... How bad did I screw up? Just when I thought I knew enough to make an informed decision, I found out there are "Super Ideal" cuts after paying for an excellent cut. I did not know you could get better than an excellent cut. I tried to avoid BN and JA as the general consensus seemed to be that they were overpriced, and used rare carat to shop prices a bit.

I have already bought this specific diamond, sight unseen, and it's being brought in from overseas. I THOUGHT I had made a great choice, but now I come to the experts to find out if I royally screwed up, and if so, how bad?

How do you rate this diamond? Is a 1.25ct too small for a Size 5 finger in a solitaire setting? I know she'll love anything I get her, but I want to make sure I'm making a good choice, because she's worth it.

In the link are Screenshots from the website of a face up photo, an ASET photo, and ascreenshot from rare carat for specs, as well as the video of the diamond spinning.

It's a 1.25 ct D VVS2 Ex cut

GIA# 6361046848

I ended up paying $12,509 for it.

Will also attach them here.

Thank you all very kindly for your time and help!

SmartSelect_20201211-073905_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20201211-073844_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20201211-073118_Gallery.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure ppl will chime in soon. I just wanted to say 1.25 ctw on size 5 will NOT look small in my opinion. However, many ppl (not all) seem to “want” to be in the range of other women in their social circle, or city or sisters or even mom. I can’t comment on that not knowing you or her. It’s just a thought. Good luck!!

I’m sure ppl will chime in soon. I just wanted to say 1.25 ctw on size 5 will NOT look small in my opinion. However, many ppl (not all) seem to “want” to be in the range of other women in their social circle, or city or sisters or even mom. I can’t comment on that not knowing you or her. It’s just a thought. Good luck!!

Thank you for the reply!

She's a nurse, and I know lots of nurses who are very flashy with their jewelry and then I know some who don't even wear their jewelry, so as far as social circle it's mixed. My lady is very modest though, so even though I'm sure she would love a 3 carat, she will probably be just fine with something that is more reasonable (I hope ).

My worry is I thought this was a good looking diamond, and then I stumbled on this website and saw a post about the A Cut Above diamonds...and went on WF's website and was a bit mesmerized. I also had no idea what whiteflash even was until about 2 hours ago :/.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Overall not to bad, just a bit of under table leakage that is probably not 2 eye visible.
The upper girdles are over long for the crown angle leading to the green around the sides in ASET. It borderline but probably on the side of ok looking at the other pictures.

AGS would probably give it a 1 on a scale of 0 to 10 which I would agree with.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For not knowing about super ideals, you actually did very well! The crown angle is a bit steep, but it pairs well with the shallow pavilion angle and my understanding is the 43% pavilion depth is preferred over 42.5% with that pavilion angle, so all good there. The ASET image shows a tiny bit of leakage, but it may not have been properly taken (tilting and overly bright backlighting are sometimes a problem). It is not a super ideal, but you also didn’t pay the premium that comes with branded super ideals. as for size, that’s subjective, but most people would consider 1.25ct a very nice size. Congrats!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it's definitely not bad. I think it's a bit steep with the crown but the images look good and it's definitely not too small by any means.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hey, D, VVS... come on, you definitely have "bragging rights" on that one! From the photos, I think the optical is very pretty... love the clearly defined arrows and nice contrast. I think for anything that falls outside of "super ideal", your D color is going to bring another element to this diamond. My E color, "excellent" rivals my E color super ideal WF ACA studs, even tho it isn't to "super ideal" proportions in its entirety, and I am sorry to say but the color just makes me always go for that one over my super ideal BGD that is larger yet H color. There are a lot of factors that contribute to the "total package" and if there is anything on this stone that falls just a wee bit off of what a super ideal will provide, you are making up for it in other areas. Do not 2nd guess yourself at this point. I think you did great and she is a very lucky lady!!! Congrats.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
To my untrained eye this stone looks great plus with that color and clarity, WOW. I think it will be spectacular and can almost bet to most ppl she meets (if not all) they will say the same as well. Congrats!

Hello All!

For whatever reason I did not see that I had more notifications. I have the ring in hand and am planning to pop the question soon. My only worry is "shrinkage", even to me it is starting to look small :/.

Attaching photos for you all to enjoy and speculate on. Lighting in my place is very bad so the pictures and videos were taken while aiming a flashlight at the ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a return period? If so, are you sure she would rather have D VVS over say a 1.5 ct G VS? I can tell you that on this forum if we did a poll, the vast majority (not all) would say they'd rather have a 1.5 ct G VS.

If you can't return, then I think the ring is beautiful and you definitely got one of the better cut GIA Ex cut stones. There are GIA Ex cut stones that fall into the superideal cut range. This one is close, as Karl said above. I am sure she will love it. She will never know the slight difference in the cut, so do not mention that!!!

Do you have a return period? If so, are you sure she would rather have D VVS over say a 1.5 ct G VS? I can tell you that on this forum if we did a poll, the vast majority (not all) would say they'd rather have a 1.5 ct G VS.

If you can't return, then I think the ring is beautiful and you definitely got one of the better cut GIA Ex cut stones. There are GIA Ex cut stones that fall into the superideal cut range. This one is close, as Karl said above. I am sure she will love it. She will never know the slight difference in the cut, so do not mention that!!!

I do believe I saw something about a 30 day return... but this was also a custom job so I'm not sure if that would pose issues as well.

The issue with the D vs G isn't just her, I could tell the difference between the two. I do wish the stone had a larger diameter and would cover more finger real-estate (i.e. going up in carat size) but not sure if that would make the ring too tall. I have seen lots of really great looking engagement rings with giant stones, they look lovely diameter wise from face up, but from the side they just look a little off height wise.

I'm not perfectly sold on going lower in clarity or color, which means my only other option would be to look at lab diamonds instead. But then it becomes the big lab vs smaller natural debate.

As my username may indicate...this is a frustrating process. o_O

For reference, when her best friend got married she went with her to the ring store. My lady then ended up sending her other best friend this picture, and her friend was kind enough to send it to me. Both are 1.25 carat as that is also all the showroom had apparently.

I prefer the coverage of the halo, but I really do not care for the look of the halo. SmartSelect_20210116-210833_Gallery.jpg

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All!

For whatever reason I did not see that I had more notifications. I have the ring in hand and am planning to pop the question soon. My only worry is "shrinkage", even to me it is starting to look small :/.

Attaching photos for you all to enjoy and speculate on. Lighting in my place is very bad so the pictures and videos were taken while aiming a flashlight at the ring.

I think the "shrinkage" phenomenon will still happen, for any size you pick! :)

It is a beautiful diamond, wonderfully set! I get what you mean by "thought I knew enough to make an informed decision, I found out there are "Super Ideal" cuts after paying for an excellent cut". I felt the same way too...and learning new things every day at PS forum.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All!

I will do my best to keep this short and save the frustrating stories of my diamond search.

To keep this short... How bad did I screw up? Just when I thought I knew enough to make an informed decision, I found out there are "Super Ideal" cuts after paying for an excellent cut. I did not know you could get better than an excellent cut. I tried to avoid BN and JA as the general consensus seemed to be that they were overpriced, and used rare carat to shop prices a bit.

I have already bought this specific diamond, sight unseen, and it's being brought in from overseas. I THOUGHT I had made a great choice, but now I come to the experts to find out if I royally screwed up, and if so, how bad?

How do you rate this diamond? Is a 1.25ct too small for a Size 5 finger in a solitaire setting? I know she'll love anything I get her, but I want to make sure I'm making a good choice, because she's worth it.

In the link are Screenshots from the website of a face up photo, an ASET photo, and ascreenshot from rare carat for specs, as well as the video of the diamond spinning.

It's a 1.25 ct D VVS2 Ex cut

GIA# 6361046848

I ended up paying $12,509 for it.

Will also attach them here.

Thank you all very kindly for your time and help!

SmartSelect_20201211-073905_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20201211-073844_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20201211-073118_Gallery.jpg

Congrats! It’s a beautiful ring. If DSS sets in, she can always upgrade. I hope they have upgrade options. In the meantime, I’m sure she will love this icy white ring. Congrats again!

Dididudu16

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous icy white fiery ring!!! :kiss2: That setting makes it easier for her to wear at work too. Congrats!

Thank you! Yes, I wanted to attempt to find a setting that she might be able to wear at work, we shall see!

I will say, I did expect the pave diamonds to sparkle more. It takes very good lighting and angles for them to shine.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Yes, I wanted to attempt to find a setting that she might be able to wear at work, we shall see!

I will say, I did expect the pave diamonds to sparkle more. It takes very good lighting and angles for them to shine.

I think the diamond is gorgeous and the setting is perfectly wearable. You nailed it about higher settings, they can make it really difficult especially if she needs to pull on a pair of gloves quickly. I think she will love it and you have to remember that a wedding band (or two) on either side is going to bring the sparkle factor up a few notches on the band. I bet with a band it will look perfectly balanced on her hand.

Congratulations on your impending engagement

I think the diamond is gorgeous and the setting is perfectly wearable. You nailed it about higher settings, they can make it really difficult especially if she needs to pull on a pair of gloves quickly. I think she will love it and you have to remember that a wedding band (or two) on either side is going to bring the sparkle factor up a few notches on the band. I bet with a band it will look perfectly balanced on her hand.

Congratulations on your impending engagement

Thank you! I like the idea about the bands! That would definitely add some more WOW factor.:mrgreen2:

So... I just stumbled upon Isabelle's and Kelli's Whiteflash recuts... and now it has me thinking. Anyone care to chime in on this idea?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I just stumbled upon Isabelle's and Kelli's Whiteflash recuts... and now it has me thinking. Anyone care to chime in on this idea?

With respect to your stone? Not sure if its that bad really. It may be a good canidate though. Lets see what @Karl_K thinks. Probably
cost in the $800-$1000 range. I'm not sure if Whiteflash does cutting anymore. Would have to ask. Plus you need to find someone to
insure it during the cutting process (which I dont think is easy), or else its on you if the stone breaks/cracks/etc.

I'm just not sure that yours is that bad where its worth the cost and what you'll gain. Trade it in if you're still in the 30 day return period.
Since the setting is custom you probably wont be able to trade it in (but ask of course).

With respect to your stone? Not sure if its that bad really. It may be a good canidate though. Lets see what @Karl_K thinks. Probably
cost in the $800-$1000 range. I'm not sure if Whiteflash does cutting anymore. Would have to ask. Plus you need to find someone to
insure it during the cutting process (which I dont think is easy), or else its on you if the stone breaks/cracks/etc.

I'm just not sure that yours is that bad where its worth the cost and what you'll gain. Trade it in if you're still in the 30 day return period.
Since the setting is custom you probably wont be able to trade it in (but ask of course).

I'm torn, and I really wish I could see what it looks like on her. It just barely fits on my pinky but I think that isn't the best comparison, right?

Snapchat-1244314011.jpg

I know diamonds are expensive and I'm just over $15k for the entire ring, just want to make sure I'm not leaving any option on the table. 2 of her best friends have only seen pictures of it but they say it looks great.

Maybe it's just the DSS setting in for me.

Would ACA make the diamond shine in low light settings or what exactly would I gain from a recut if anything?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks gorgeous. GO FOR IT!

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
I also stumbled upon ps after ordering and I ended up returning it.

Instead of recutting, could you have a local jeweler remove the diamond out of the setting and return the diamond within the 30 day return period and order a super ideal cut loose diamond to be sent to you and set by the same local jeweler? Or have Yadav send the setting back to you? I would ask Yadav first before removing.

I think she will love the icy white and fiery diamond, if you decide to keep it! Congrats on your upcoming engagement!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are having doubts about cut and size and upgrade options— return it and go with a vendor that has a liberal upgrade policy Bc it will be very expensive to upgrade later!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

D vss recut? you nutz? just kidding kinda.
The $$ per ct on high color high clarity is usually a no on a recut.
It is not a recut candidate anyway in order not to have a to shallow pavilion the girdle would have to be moved resulting in a ton of weight lose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results