shape
carat
color
clarity

Welcome Home

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
So DH comes home in just a few weeks from his deployment, and in wild anticipation (lol) I am trying to do something a little special to welcome him back. We have had to do LD before, but the difference now is that we are married and living together. Normally we are a very laid back couple, and just like to spend time at home together. I was planning on either making dinner or taking him to a nice restaurant if possible, but he''ll probably just want to spend some time at home so I know I''m going to need a good recipe. I''m pretty good at cooking, but am totally at a loss for what to make. For those of you that have had to be apart from your spouse for a long time, what suggestions and fun ideas do you have to welcome him back? I have asked him numerous times if there''s anything specific that he had his heart set on, but of course his answer is always that he just wants to spend time with me. I know that''s true of course, but would really like to do something fun, special and memorable, but I''m kind of at a loss. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

*M*

*M*

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Definitely candlelight is in order. How about fondue? That would be romantic! Start with meat, bread pieces, vegetables in wine/cheese fondue....and end with strawberries in chocolate!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I hadn''t even THOUGHT of fondue!! OMG, thank you! He loves fondue and I that hadn''t even crossed my mind. I have never done fondue before and I was under the impression you needed like a double boiler or something in order to make it right? I would have to go get one of these... but that''s a great idea. And so was the candlelight. Usually I am pretty good at thinking stuff up but recently I''ve had a dry spell. I''m just so excited that he''s actually going to be home I can''t think of much at all, haha.

*M*

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that is a fun idea; fondue!!! How exciting, I am so happy for you Poptart!!! I bet you can't wait. You are such a sweetie; I bet he thinks you are the best wife ever
9.gif

Hey, you can buy a basic fondue set from Target! They sell the cheese cheap at Trader Joes! Also pick up some chocolate Nuttella!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think fondue is a great idea poptart. It''s easy to do, and you can make sure to include all his faves. I think it''s so sweet of you to make his first meal home a special one.
12.gif
I can''t imagine how hard this has been for you since his deployment. Just make sure to tell him.......

We ALL thank him for his service!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 11:09:52 PM
Author: Skippy123
I agree that is a fun idea; fondue!!! How exciting, I am so happy for you Poptart!!! I bet you can''t wait. You are such a sweetie; I bet he thinks you are the best wife ever
9.gif

Hey, you can buy a basic fondue set from Target! They sell the cheese cheap at Trader Joes! Also pick up some chocolate Nuttella!
Oh thanks Skippy, you''re so kind, haha. I really can''t wait, it''s true. As hard as this has been though, it''s really been good for us in the long run. We are very young to be married and the time apart, although difficult, has just helped us mature and solidify our relationship even more. Plus it came with a fairly significant financial gain, which also helps of course. I wouldn''t want to do this again, but it''s taught both of us a lot of life lessons... like PATIENCE, haha. Do I need special fondue cheese? I wouldn''t think so right? We don''t have a Trader Joe''s, but there is an organic store that I frequently buy at since I try to eat organically and DH has started to try and eat healthier as well. I wonder how much cheese I would need... I need to find some recipes! I didn''t know Target had fondue sets. I should have asked this question earlier today since I was just at Target this afternoon, haha. Oh well, I can go back. Can you tell I''m excited and scatter brained?!
3.gif

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 11:18:47 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I think fondue is a great idea poptart. It''s easy to do, and you can make sure to include all his faves. I think it''s so sweet of you to make his first meal home a special one.
12.gif
I can''t imagine how hard this has been for you since his deployment. Just make sure to tell him.......

We ALL thank him for his service!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Oh thanks, I will. It''s been difficult, but every relationship has it''s bumps and unforseen trials, so I guess it''s best to just learn from them and find the best in it. I think the worst part was that we didn''t think he was going to have to go on this deployment at all because of his pending medical discharge, so it was kind of like a punch in the face. We had NO time to come to terms with it at all. It took me quite a few months to accept it and work through it.

*M*

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poptart,

You do not need a special fondue set; you can do it on the stove. You might want one to entertain w/guests or maybe not; they sell them at Target pretty cheap if you do want one. You can also do a recipe, but I thought if you had a TJ''s it would be easier. All you need is fresh cheese, wine and some garlic. I bet you could find a recipe easily on the the internet.

Best wishes and I am very excited for you!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is his favorite meal?? Maybe skip the fondue and make him what he hasn''t had in a looong time. Like a nice steak??

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 12:35:47 AM
What is his favorite meal?? Maybe skip the fondue and make him what he hasn''t had in a looong time. Like a nice steak??
He has a LOT of favorite meals, mostly simple meat and potatoes stuff. I was also throwing around the idea of T-bone steak with whipped potatoes (he LOVES them), and spaghetti squash or mixed veggies. He doesn''t like salad at all, so not much in the way there. I also that we could have that with some of his favorite cookies that we can bake together that evening. He feels badly if I make cookies and he doesn''t get to stir the ingredients together, haha. Not sure why, but it''s his favorite part... probably because he can sneak in nibbles when he thinks I''m not looking. I just want it to be really special and I know that the food on the ship just does a number on him and he hates it, so I hope whatever I cook comes out really well. I was going to ask him what he wanted but he loves surprises so I thought if I didn''t tell him what I was thinking about doing to do anything he would really be surprised.

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do a hodgepodge of all his favorite things...from snacks to movies etc, just make it all about him and what he likes or loves and has been missing...(that includes YOU!)...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From someone who has been in your shoes many times, YOU are who he wants to see, so get together his favourite grub and movies etc and just hole up with him, you will find he will be so excited to be home! You will also find he will be so excited about things such as being able to take a nice private shower, sleep in his own bed, slap some food under the grill etc, depending on where he has been, basic amenities aren't always that good.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 12:55:23 AM
Author: diamondfan
I would do a hodgepodge of all his favorite things...from snacks to movies etc, just make it all about him and what he likes or loves and has been missing...(that includes YOU!)...
I think this is a good idea DF!! Thank you! Hopefully he remembers to bring all his movies from the ship. He took them with him, but didn''t get a chance to watch them. He called me today at 5 am and when I asked him what his favorite thing to eat was, ''I like food.'' HA! That''s DH for you though. He just kept repeating that sentiment, so I guess I could cook him just about anything and he''d be grateful - especially after the "food" he''s been eating there. I just really want this to be a memorable evening for him, so I hope I can fix all of it correctly!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 4:41:25 AM
Author: Lorelei
From someone who has been in your shoes many times, YOU are who he wants to see, so get together his favourite grub and movies etc and just hole up with him, you will find he will be so excited to be home! You will also find he will be so excited about things such as being able to take a nice private shower, sleep in his own bed, slap some food under the grill etc, depending on where he has been, basic amenities aren''t always that good.
Thanks for your reply Lorelei! It''s encouraging to hear that he will be looking forward to the most simple of things, lol. I guess I will be buying lots of candles for some candlelight like Julia suggested. Plus one of his favorite bands is coming during his leave period, so I am going to try and snag some tickets... he doesn''t even know they''re playing AT ALL, so it will be QUITE a surprise!!!

*M*

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
he''s probably going to be exhausted so lots of comfort food, good movies, and no plans to have to go anywhere.
sleep and eat !

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You know what I thought of first?

Just waiting on him hand and foot!!!
2.gif

Let him take a "home shower"...all the hot water, manly soaps and a sharp new razor and soft clean fuffy sweet smelling towels...Get him some comfy slippers and a soft robe and have them ready to slip into. A pajama party is probably what he has been dreaming of anyway.

Then it is on to his good comfy chair...tell him this is his night to "Drink In" home life. He must not get up for anything...Unplug the phone...no outside interuptions. His favorite music, aroma of candles that he likes...you feed him and get him his refills...if he likes old movies get them...tons of them for him to choose...or sports-maybe tape a game that is airing this week...you could have a stack of local papers or magazines he may have missed. Things he wants to catch up on...OH, remember when you were a kid and staying up late on Saturday, or eating infront of the TV was the BEST? Try it...If you normally eat at the table... let him eat in the living room...you know anything that is special. Picnic on the floor or slide right up to the coffee table-pillows on the floor...Too much formality may be a tad too overbearing for someone used to eating in barracks and such.

Just take this opportunity to show him how much you missed him, and how much you (WE) appreciate him. I so wish each member of our forces could be treated with the ROYAL treatment when they get home. I think that is what I would do if he were mine!

Sometimes our comfort foods are the most simple flavors...grilling out and a baked potato...followed by your fondue for dessert...would be my vote. Has there been anything that he has mentioned he really misses? Was he fond of some steak sauce or cheese or bread? Something you KNOW he hasn''t had? American apple pie? Or???

Also, if he has a car or truck, get that thing detailed. He is going to want to use his freedom when he gets the urge to go...it will be ready and filled with fuel!

I am sooo happy for you to have this opportunity. Having him come back home...is such a blessing! That is the best part.
What ever you choose, it will be perfect because it is mainly YOU HE wants to be with.
35.gif

DKS

Just an after thought...I wouldn''t plan to do anything that required more attention in the kitchen, than attention I would rather "Shower" on him. Simplify things so you can leave them and not be stressed that the souffle fell!!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 5:00:13 PM
Author: ladykemma
he''s probably going to be exhausted so lots of comfort food, good movies, and no plans to have to go anywhere.

sleep and eat !
Haha, LK, you pretty much summed up DH after he''s been on the ship. Sleeping and eating. He can sleep for days when he gets back even from the short cruises. I guess I should stock up on some of his favorite snack foods. We have plans to go to two places... to the Aquarium to see the penguins because he is dying to see them, and a concert near the end of his leave period because it''s one of his favorite bands. I just bought the ticket today, and they were almost sold out... after just a few days!
32.gif

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 7:45:28 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
You know what I thought of first?

Just waiting on him hand and foot!!!
2.gif

Let him take a ''home shower''...all the hot water, manly soaps and a sharp new razor and soft clean fuffy sweet smelling towels...Get him some comfy slippers and a soft robe and have them ready to slip into. A pajama party is probably what he has been dreaming of anyway.

Then it is on to his good comfy chair...tell him this is his night to ''Drink In'' home life. He must not get up for anything...Unplug the phone...no outside interuptions. His favorite music, aroma of candles that he likes...you feed him and get him his refills...if he likes old movies get them...tons of them for him to choose...or sports-maybe tape a game that is airing this week...you could have a stack of local papers or magazines he may have missed. Things he wants to catch up on...OH, remember when you were a kid and staying up late on Saturday, or eating infront of the TV was the BEST? Try it...If you normally eat at the table... let him eat in the living room...you know anything that is special. Picnic on the floor or slide right up to the coffee table-pillows on the floor...Too much formality may be a tad too overbearing for someone used to eating in barracks and such.

Just take this opportunity to show him how much you missed him, and how much you (WE) appreciate him. I so wish each member of our forces could be treated with the ROYAL treatment when they get home. I think that is what I would do if he were mine!

Sometimes our comfort foods are the most simple flavors...grilling out and a baked potato...followed by your fondue for dessert...would be my vote. Has there been anything that he has mentioned he really misses? Was he fond of some steak sauce or cheese or bread? Something you KNOW he hasn''t had? American apple pie? Or???

Also, if he has a car or truck, get that thing detailed. He is going to want to use his freedom when he gets the urge to go...it will be ready and filled with fuel!

I am sooo happy for you to have this opportunity. Having him come back home...is such a blessing! That is the best part.

What ever you choose, it will be perfect because it is mainly YOU HE wants to be with.
35.gif

DKS

Just an after thought...I wouldn''t plan to do anything that required more attention in the kitchen, than attention I would rather ''Shower'' on him. Simplify things so you can leave them and not be stressed that the souffle fell!!!
DKS: I think the waiting on him is a good idea. He usually waits on me so it will be a nice turnaround, lol. I would love to grill something for him, but I refuse to touch the thing because I can''t do it justice. Maybe a potroast and chocolate fondue? The potroast can go in the slow cooker, so it can just roast all day with the veggies and requires little assistance on my part. I don''t know what time they pull in yet, obviously, but I can start the roast far before he pulls in even if it''s in the morning, because I know I won''t be sleeping the day before anyway! Thanks for all your ideas! They are all great and things I can use. I need to get him some good slippers and a robe because he hasn''t ever had them, so he''d love that.

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
So I want to go to the store this weekend and get a robe and some slippers for DH. I looked at Macy''s, Target, and Dillards, but didn''t see anything that really spoke to me. I just want a robe that is really soft for him... he really likes fleece, so something in that arena but maybe lighter so it''s not too hot. DH has a tendency of putting his shoes on in the house for no reason because his feet get really cold, so some nice warm slippers would be good, too. Any other places to look? I am not much of a clothes shopper in general, so when it''s not for me I pretty much have no idea where to look. Thanks!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, maybe this would work. Looks comfy enough: slipper

*M*

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I love the potroast in the slow cooker, followed by melted chocolate on some kind of fruit. The house will smell great and homey and it will be ready whenever he is. ...and you may not be eating for a while...
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 12:35:47 AM
That''s what I was thinking...make whatever his favorite food is that he likely hasn''t had in awhile!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
DH said he definitely wants steak... so there goes my potroast idea, sadly. I liked that idea, too! But the chocolate fondue still stands. If I broil the steaks it will only take about a half hour total to make everything, and during that time he''ll probably just fall asleep from exhaustion, haha.

*M*

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a plan to me!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me, it is not about one big meal, I would have all the things he loves. If it is chicken wings and pizza and ribs and pie, have that. Do a sampling. I would also keep it just the two of you unless you really want to have guests, that can happen after you have time together first.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2007 8:52:00 PM
Author: diamondfan
To me, it is not about one big meal, I would have all the things he loves. If it is chicken wings and pizza and ribs and pie, have that. Do a sampling. I would also keep it just the two of you unless you really want to have guests, that can happen after you have time together first.
SO many good ideas! He loves those TGI Fridays hot wings from the store. I mean, LOVES them... so maybe some of that would be good, too. A sampling would probably be easier to do than just one huge meal, and I wouldn''t be fretting as much over getting it perfect. I have to remember, there will be more than just that one day to cook dinner, haha. It might be less stressful on both of us to make it more of a sampling of stuff rather than a huge main course. Why can''t I just commit to something?! Everything sounds so good. The candles, fondue, movies, and music are for sure. It''s just the food I''m worried about I guess. And we are having NO guests... for at least a week or more. I''m not willing to share just yet!

*M*

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I think a steak dinner and fondue dessert sounds great! You could try Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens n Things for robes/slippers. I know the Linens n Things around here has a better selection and less expensive.. lots of warm, comfy robes, although not sure what the men''s selection is like.

Have a great night!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2007 10:34:26 PM
Author: dixie94
I think a steak dinner and fondue dessert sounds great! You could try Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens n Things for robes/slippers. I know the Linens n Things around here has a better selection and less expensive.. lots of warm, comfy robes, although not sure what the men''s selection is like.

Have a great night!
Thanks! I will have to go look around those two places. I didn''t know they had robes and slippers, so that''s great!

*M*

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poptart you are the sweetest wifey!!! My DH goes OOT a lot for business, in fact he''s leaving tomorrow and will be gone on a golf trip for the next days...I always love to have the house nice and clean for him when he gets home and try to fix something he likes for dinner the night he gets back in town, it''s fun to make him feel special when he''s been out on the road and misses home. My only advice here is don''t put him in the shower as soon as he gets home if he''s anything like my DH, he will go right to sleep, LOL! I don''t mean to put down anyone else''s advice, I mean if he really needs rest than by all means let him sleep, but personally I like to take advantage of the absence makes the heart grow fonder factor when mine''s been away if you know what I mean, ha ha!

I do love the slippers and robe idea, and everything that goes along with relaxing and spending some good quality winding down time together. And the idea of getting his car/truck detailed I thought was great too, unless he likes to do it himself what a godsend that would be!

Oh, and there''s absolutely nothing wrong with answering the door without anything on but a smile, hee hee.
31.gif
30.gif
Especially if the dinner menu doesn''t quite pan out (I''m not the greatest cook).
9.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2007 10:45:55 PM
Author: monarch64
Poptart you are the sweetest wifey!!! My DH goes OOT a lot for business, in fact he''s leaving tomorrow and will be gone on a golf trip for the next days...I always love to have the house nice and clean for him when he gets home and try to fix something he likes for dinner the night he gets back in town, it''s fun to make him feel special when he''s been out on the road and misses home. My only advice here is don''t put him in the shower as soon as he gets home if he''s anything like my DH, he will go right to sleep, LOL! I don''t mean to put down anyone else''s advice, I mean if he really needs rest than by all means let him sleep, but personally I like to take advantage of the absence makes the heart grow fonder factor when mine''s been away if you know what I mean, ha ha!

I do love the slippers and robe idea, and everything that goes along with relaxing and spending some good quality winding down time together. And the idea of getting his car/truck detailed I thought was great too, unless he likes to do it himself what a godsend that would be!

Oh, and there''s absolutely nothing wrong with answering the door without anything on but a smile, hee hee.
31.gif
30.gif
Especially if the dinner menu doesn''t quite pan out (I''m not the greatest cook).
9.gif
I think one of the first thing DH will do when he gets home is shower, actually. He always showers immediately from getting off the ship. It actually makes him more awake though, so that''s good! He really does need the rest though, he''s been sick a lot during this deployment, and he has a really hard time sleeping on the ship. They all work twelve hour shifts, but he can only usually sleep about four hours a night, so he''s constantly exhausted.

Luckily I don''t have to get the car detailed because we share a car, and it''s old, and completely NOT worth detailing, haha. We are actually looking for a second car when he gets back since I will need a car to get to my work, too. I''m excited to pick out a robe and some slippers for him, as dumb as that sounds. It''s nice to know that I can finally buy something for him and he''ll actually be able to use it relatively soon!

I wonder what would happen if I answered the door in nothing but a smile, haha! I am hoping to pick him up from the base, so that might not be kosher
2.gif
. That''s a very "fun" idea though!

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results