shape
carat
color
clarity

Weirdest ring comment so far...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I went to pick up my sandwich on my lunch break today and a new girl was working at the counter. She asked if she could see my ring, was it an engagement ring, said it was pretty, and then she asked: "Is it conflict-free?"

I can''t say I''ve ever been asked that one before! Hahaha...I told her it was, that the place I got it from (WF) made sure, etc. Then I told my coworker when I got back to my office and we were like: what a weirdly somewhat personal thing to ask someone!

We decided I should have said "Nope, I ordered it extra bloody!"
11.gif
Joking, of course!

But what a weird thing to ask! I guess now that the Blood Diamond movie came out everyone thinks all diamonds are bloody conflict diamonds!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2007 9:59:58 PM
Author:thing2of2
So I went to pick up my sandwich on my lunch break today and a new girl was working at the counter. She asked if she could see my ring, was it an engagement ring, said it was pretty, and then she asked: 'Is it conflict-free?'
HI:

Well, interesting. I might have answered, in jest, "no, I had to fight my DH tooth and nail to get it".
41.gif
2.gif
Just kidding of course....

cheers--Sharon

(yeeeesss, only 6,000 more to go....)

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Someone wasn''t thinking before they spoke.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 10:08:35 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Well, interesting. I might have answered, in jest, ''no, I had to fight my DH tooth and nail to get it''.
41.gif
2.gif
LOL...
9.gif
36.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 10:17:11 PM
Author: widget

Well, interesting. I might have answered, in jest, ''no, I had to fight my DH tooth and nail to get it''.
41.gif
2.gif
LOL...
9.gif
36.gif
LOL Some of us may have done just that. No, I''m not admitting to it!
9.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
What a strange comment to make about a strangers ering! I can''t imagine someone going around asking strangers if their diamonds are conflict free!
4.gif
Maybe she had just watched the Blood Diamond movie. Still very weird to ask such a thing!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That IS a strange comment. My aunt told me she wouldn''t want to wear something so expensive. I thought that was kind of strange BUT not as strange as the conflict free comment
23.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As odd as it is, one of my classmates in graduate school asked me as well. I think some groups of people are very ill informed on how most diamonds are brought to market and assume that they are "bad". Movies like blood diamond don''t help (but are very entertaining nonetheless).

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
a little bit of knowledge can be a bad thing.

DKS

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 10:23:09 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

So I went to pick up my sandwich on my lunch break today and a new girl was working at the counter. She asked if she could see my ring, was it an engagement ring, said it was pretty, and then she asked: ''Is it conflict-free?''
HI:

41.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

OMG Too funny.. I just noticed this..
I saw that kinda last minute, too...then it took me a second before (light bulb!), then I checked the number of posts....very funny!!!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh jeez. I agree with DKS, it''s unfortunate that some people take what they''ve seen in a movie and think that''s just the way it is without doing any further research. Love the comebacks on this thread, though!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking about this topic tonight because this afternoon we were in Whole Foods and we're looking at the cake display case, and the woman behind that counter is giving me this funny look and she suddenly says in this very "lemme sell you something illegal" tone, "Okay, here's the deal. For today only, and for a limited time, I'll let you take anything you want in this store, for free, in exchange for your ring. I'll let you load up as many carts as you want to, and I'll even show you the back door and I wont look as you take your stuff out the back door. In exchange for that ring." Then she calls the cheese counter guy over and says, "Hey! I'm trying to trade her anything in the store for her ring. Look at that ring!" And you know, it was funny and sort of cute, at first, but I also felt really uncomfortable too. I saw her in another aisle and I almost blurted out, "Are you stalking me???" Funny, yet very weird.

ETA: Then there's the bridal gown shop where that lady tapped my ring with her Lee Press On Nail and asked me "is it real?" That was pretty weird.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 1:40:23 AM
Author: surfgirl
I was just thinking about this topic tonight because this afternoon we were in Whole Foods and we''re looking at the cake display case, and the woman behind that counter is giving me this funny look and she suddenly says in this very ''lemme sell you something illegal'' tone, ''Okay, here''s the deal. For today only, and for a limited time, I''ll let you take anything you want in this store, for free, in exchange for your ring. I''ll let you load up as many carts as you want to, and I''ll even show you the back door and I wont look as you take your stuff out the back door. In exchange for that ring.'' Then she calls the cheese counter guy over and says, ''Hey! I''m trying to trade her anything in the store for her ring. Look at that ring!'' And you know, it was funny and sort of cute, at first, but I also felt really uncomfortable too. I saw her in another aisle and I almost blurted out, ''Are you stalking me???'' Funny, yet very weird.

ETA: Then there''s the bridal gown shop where that lady tapped my ring with her Lee Press On Nail and asked me ''is it real?'' That was pretty weird.
Oh my! How uncomfortable! I would have looked at her like she was crazy.

That fake nail taping and "is it real" comment was bad! Some people are so rude!
20.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Some people just AMAZE me!!!

I have had quite a few people ask me if my diamond is "real". I have never really formulated a truly snappy comeback
2.gif
so I just say "yes" while trying not to look at them totally incredulously and like they've just grown a second head!

I have also had people ask me "Why is it so SPARKLY?" like that's a BAD thing
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
but I guess that's just because MOST diamonds "out there" don't look like that! Maybe they are trying to be really *SUBTLE* and see if it's a CZ???! Haha?!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Heh...Lynn B, I laughe at your sparkly comment because a friend recently saw my ering for the first time and she was saying "oh it''s huge! It''s stunning!" and so I thought she might appreciate knowing something about it so I replied, "It''s an antique stone, from about the early 1900''s or so..." and she said, "But...it''s so sparkly...?"
33.gif
I said, "Yessss. That''s because of the old cut. It gives it a different sparkle..." It was a funny conversation but odd in that she obviously assumed an old cut stone = dull and fireless. Oh dear, it''s exhausting being a constant diamond educator, isn''t it?
20.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That IS weird that someone would ask you if your diamonds were conflict free! I am also amazed that people would actually ask someone if their diamonds were real. I had someone tell me that the diamonds in my three stone ring were super sparkly and asked if they were those "Japanese diamonds". What does THAT mean???

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
People *myself included* tend to say some odd things without thinking. Those comments about the conflict diamonds and the fingernail tapping, however, required a bit of premeditation in my opinion.

The strangest comment someone has made about my ring so far: "It looks like I could touch it and it would move!"
This was from a teller at the bank. I think I understand what she was trying to say, because the leaves look delicate in person, kind of like they are floating, as if they would move if you ran a finger over them. At the time though I didn't quite understand what she was getting at so I quickly pulled my hand off of the counter and down by my side. I remember faintly wondering if she had come in contact with a trace amount of hallucinogen left on some money and that maybe she was hallucinating or something. I think she was just trying to be nice, and I reacted like a gollum. I guess we are even if one strange comment deserves a strange reaction
37.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about, :::smiling:::beaming::: "Why yes it is! In fact I funded a small rebel country with this ring!"

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 10:43:42 AM
Author: Lynn B
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

I have had quite a few people ask me if my diamond is ''real''. I have never really formulated a truly snappy comeback
2.gif
so I just say ''yes'' while trying not to look at them totally incredulously and like they''ve just grown a second head!

I have also had people ask me ''Why is it so SPARKLY?'' like that''s a BAD thing
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
but I guess that''s just because MOST diamonds ''out there'' don''t look like that! Maybe they are trying to be really *SUBTLE* and see if it''s a CZ???! Haha?!!
I plan to say yes... LOL It feels safer to just let them assume it isn''t real. Or maybe answer, "hmmmmm....... ::shrug:: I have no idea." LOL!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Surfgirl, your story is funny, but oh so strange!

Someone once told me that my e-ring was very pretty and flat
38.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Date: 7/4/2007 10:43:42 AM
Author: Lynn B
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

I have had quite a few people ask me if my diamond is ''real''. I have never really formulated a truly snappy comeback
2.gif
so I just say ''yes'' while trying not to look at them totally incredulously and like they''ve just grown a second head!

I have also had people ask me ''Why is it so SPARKLY?'' like that''s a BAD thing
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
but I guess that''s just because MOST diamonds ''out there'' don''t look like that! Maybe they are trying to be really *SUBTLE* and see if it''s a CZ???! Haha?!!
"No, it''s a figment of my imagination." Deadpan. Honestly, if you don''t act like you''re joking or being sarcastic, you''ll get some great responses.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 1:44:02 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
How about, :::smiling:::beaming::: ''Why yes it is! In fact I funded a small rebel country with this ring!''

lol!

or

"Well, there is something so romantic about people willing to die for my rock."

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 4:29:22 PM
Author: luckystar112

How about, :::smiling:::beaming::: ''Why yes it is! In fact I funded a small rebel country with this ring!''

lol!

or

''Well, there is something so romantic about people willing to die for my rock.''
I am almost certain (after talking to someone who would know but I''m not going to elaborate) that my diamond came from russia so its a whole different sort of issues... and some of those diamonds have been sitting around for decades so its really hard to say exactly what happened. Don''t quote me on any of this. I''m not too worried, it sucks for people to die for *anything* and yet it happens.... for far less than diamonds. You do what you can I spend far more time worrying about the conditions of the people who make my clothing to be quite honest.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

So I went to pick up my sandwich on my lunch break today and a new girl was working at the counter. She asked if she could see my ring, was it an engagement ring, said it was pretty, and then she asked: ''Is it conflict-free?''
HI:

41.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Hahaha...that would have been perfect! I''m going to remember that on the off chance someone ever asks me that again!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hahaha! I really wish I would have thought of this one, too! I was too caught off guard...usually I''m quick with comebacks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 4:29:22 PM
Author: luckystar112

lol!

or

''Well, there is something so romantic about people willing to die for my rock.''

I think this might be the winning comeback! Hilarious!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeweller: "Your stone is grey-brown in the body."
Me: Huh?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha...some of these comments are so funny...Harriet, you must have died of laughter....

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 8:15:05 PM
Author: UCLABelle
Hahaha...some of these comments are so funny...Harriet, you must have died of laughter....
Get this -- the guy is GIA certified!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
it IS a bit odd for someone to ask if a diamond is conflict free just because of a movie, but i think it''s good for people to question where their luxury items are coming from, and at what costs. unfortunately, movies and media coverage aren''t exactly fodder for intelligent discussions.

i have a canadian diamond that was purchased from a jeweler who investigates whether or not the diamonds were mined and cut under fair labor conditions. they also support numerous organizations that are helping to develop places, especially in Africa and Burma, so that these countries can trade and develop their natural resources in ways that help the local communities. i think less than 2% (if even that) of all diamonds sourced today could even remotely be considered conflict diamonds. but still, as with clothing, oil, food, and other things that we need and want, one should try and be mindful of how these goods are produced and how they circulate in the world economy.

no one has ever asked me if i have a conflict-free diamond. but i became interested in the idea because a grad school friend was shocked that i was planning on buying a diamond ering. she gave me all the superficial, heavy-handed moralizing that is sadly typical of most people with too little information for their really big opinions. but still, it piqued my interest. i don''t think ''canadian diamond'' = ''conflict-free'' or bloodless. but i do feel like it was important for me to support a jeweler who is heavily invested in changing the way his industry conducts business. it may not make a huge difference, but it''s a little something that i can do. when i upgrade, i''ll probably buy from him again, even though i know i could get a similar stone for a little bit less from whiteflash or GOG, et al. his prices are competitive (canadian diamonds usually have a high premium), and he has a good eye.

anyway, i don''t know if my comments are even appropriate in this thread. as for weird ring comments, the only comment i ever receive is: hmm, interesting setting. which isn''t weird. it''s just a little unkind, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results