shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone on here considered/used bioidentical hormone replacement as a way to facilitate weight loss mid-life? I have had two startling bad health years, after being a very, very healthy and active person for my entire life. Three years ago, I was playing tennis FIVE days a week, NO dieting(but carb management and mindful healthy eating mixed with wine and chocolate:lol:) and after a flu shot in winter of 2016, my body adopted major allergies(hay fever, slight asthma) and also major trouble with my SI joint and IT bands. And now I am easily up 30 lbs at age 55. I was literally in a bikini 3 years ago, the first times in many years(and after five children) so I was happy, excited and proud of my physique. I am still struggling with my allergies and muscular/joint issues, but have resumed a light tennis schedule as I can endure, and really am looking for guidance. One of my bff's began a bioidentical hormone protocol as well as HCG injections and lost 35 lbs in 3 months(VERY low calorie diet though...) Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions. Intermittent fasting appeals to me... And when I spend time on these threads, I'm less apt to daydream about upgrading....lol...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone on here considered/used bioidentical hormone replacement as a way to facilitate weight loss mid-life? I have had two startling bad health years, after being a very, very healthy and active person for my entire life. Three years ago, I was playing tennis FIVE days a week, NO dieting(but carb management and mindful healthy eating mixed with wine and chocolate:lol:) and after a flu shot in winter of 2016, my body adopted major allergies(hay fever, slight asthma) and also major trouble with my SI joint and IT bands. And now I am easily up 30 lbs at age 55. I was literally in a bikini 3 years ago, the first times in many years(and after five children) so I was happy, excited and proud of my physique. I am still struggling with my allergies and muscular/joint issues, but have resumed a light tennis schedule as I can endure, and really am looking for guidance. One of my bff's began a bioidentical hormone protocol as well as HCG injections and lost 35 lbs in 3 months(VERY low calorie diet though...) Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions. Intermittent fasting appeals to me... And when I spend time on these threads, I'm less apt to daydream about upgrading....lol...

I haven't ever tried that. You might give a nutritionist a try and see if they can help. Balance of healthy diet and moderate exercise is generally far more sustainable that anything you can take. Bodies can be crazy! I found that I gain a pound if I eat less than 4 meals a day. No matter where my calories fall, it is up a pound with fewer meals and stationary or dropping with the right number of meals.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always wondered about HCG diet treatment. But I worry about any hormone treatments and possible long term side effects. My diet is going well. I have not slipped or cheated. I can make (for others) cookies and other fattening foods without tasting. I have made up my own diet plan. I do watch carbs but do not restrict same to under 25 per day. I watch the calories and don't eat obviously fatty, sweets/candy and junk foods. I totally avoid pasta, potatoes and breads. I have had a total of about a cup of rice since May 6. I do eat meat but I cut off the excess fat. Many of my carbs are from fresh fruit. I know that these are really high, but it is the only sweet I get. I eat 0% fat yogurt mixed with the fresh fruit and a few walnuts thrown in for crunch. It is my dessert and calcium. I eat dill pickles, radishes, a hard boiled egg, and plain canned tuna (in water) for a few lunches per week as I am really sick of salads. For dinner I eat an assortment of various cheeses (small bites of varying carb levels),some dry aged Italian salami slices and green olives and maybe a piece of meat or a hard boiled egg. I try not to eat after 9-10 pm, skip breakfast and go right to lunch. I have not craved alcohol and sugar drinks. The weight has come off but I have a ways to go. People are starting to notice that my clothes are baggy.Again, going public with the diet has really kept me on it.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Starting weight was 224 in January and I’m down to 192. Holding pretty steady this past month. I’m still loving the local gym I joined, but there has been a big coach turnover and a bit of drama I really know nothing about. So that’s good (that I am not involved, lol). :) I picked up my second box of veggies through the CSA yesterday. I feel good about feeding my family (and myself!) such good produce.

I did a sprint triathlon with my daughter last weekend! It was a lot of fun—first time on my bike this season. It has been soooo rainy around here in April and May! I want to do two 50-mile rides this summer. It will be easier with 10 more pounds gone. ;-)

180ish is my goal for now. It’s within reach!

What a difference a month makes. :cry2: My sciatica flared up badly the week after I posted this. My leg gave out twice, and that has NEVER happened before. I’m on a steady diet of Chiro and PT, and after a month off of the gym, I’m back! Today was my first day back.

I’m still hanging around that 192 mark, and 180ish is still my goal. No bike rides, though, that body position is just not good for me right now for extended periods. Driving is still pretty uncomfortable. :(

My CSA boxes have been lots of fun! The kids help me prep and cook the veggies. This week we got an eggplant, and I have no idea what to do with it. :oops2:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This week we got an eggplant, and I have no idea what to do with it.
I chop it into pieces and saute it with olive oil, onion and garlic, then throw in some cherry tomatoes, lots of herbs, and a splash of red wine. Cover it and simmer until the tomatoes burst which is usually when the eggplant is soft.

Sorry to hear about your physical setback and hope you are soon totally pain free.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life needs to quit kicking my butt. I have noticed that I don't really eat the wrong things so much as I just get busy and only eat twice a day. That also means too few calories most days.

I'm hoping to find a good meal planner tool so I can more easily plan each week.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This week we got an eggplant, and I have no idea what to do with it.

I slice it, spray lightly with olive oil, dump on a bunch of Italian herbs, and broil. If there is room in the pan add some tomatoes. Often sprinkle on some parm when it’s close to done. The key to eggplant is after you cut it up liberally sprinkle with salt, let it sit in a strainer for 30 min then rinse. Eggplant is like a sponge and holds a lot of water so it’s best to get some of that water out before cooking. Because it’s a sponge it can easily soak up oil so measure what you use no matter how you prepare it. Good luck!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update- I got my BMI down to 22 from 25. Intermittent fasting, veggies and lean protein works for me. Yesterday was the first splurge day in months. We rarely eat fast food but it was fast food and a hot fudge sundae night. Today I didn't eat anything at all because I honestly still feel terrible after that meal. No regrets though- the sundae was killer and I can't imagine a life in which you can't splurge once in awhile. DH is giving me grief - he misses the curves. I went down from a 36D to a 34B bra size. Can finally sleep on my stomach again.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Where is Jamba?

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update- I got my BMI down to 22 from 25. Intermittent fasting, veggies and lean protein works for me. Yesterday was the first splurge day in months. We rarely eat fast food but it was fast food and a hot fudge sundae night. Today I didn't eat anything at all because I honestly still feel terrible after that meal. No regrets though- the sundae was killer and I can't imagine a life in which you can't splurge once in awhile. DH is giving me grief - he misses the curves. I went down from a 36D to a 34B bra size. Can finally sleep on my stomach again.

Congratulations! That is amazing work. You must feel great. (Well, other than the misery that follows a splurge meal when your body is used to healthy.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results