shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else frustrated and unmotivated on their weight loss?

I haven''t even gotten onto the scale for a week or more.

I just got handed some motivation by B. Now I just have to get going again.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean, you just got handed some motivation? I'm not sure if that sounds good or bad.

I've been unmotivated for a while. I'm working on it. Anytime I pass candy (my serious weak spot) I just start repeating "Ten pounds, ten pounds, ten pounds." Then I take less candy.
28.gif

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
I was definitely frustrated this summer. I lost all discipline and then just got frustrated with myself.

My motivation comes and goes, but ultimately what kicks my booty into gear is seeing a certain number on the scale... and after a month of traveling to weddings/parties every weekend and not making wise dietary choices
11.gif
, I have hit that number. Blech. So... maybe stepping on the scale will help get you motivated? It definitely does for me when I see I''ve reached my "do not exceed" number.

So my motivation has returned, and to help sustain it, I signed up for a new kickboxing class. The new activity and exposure to new people has definitely helped, and even though I am crazy sore the day after each class, I feel althletic again. That feeling always motivates me to keep pushing myself.

Good luck!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 12:58:42 PM
Author: princesss
What do you mean, you just got handed some motivation? I''m not sure if that sounds good or bad.

I''ve been unmotivated for a while. I''m working on it. Anytime I pass candy (my serious weak spot) I just start repeating ''Ten pounds, ten pounds, ten pounds.'' Then I take less candy.
28.gif
Probably good. It should help keep me motivated. And I have to start now.

B got an e-mail from a guy he knows a bit. So B suggested that this guy and his wife come to dinner for Sukkot. Long story but I trust B. I''m sure it was all innocent. Rational or not, I feel like I have to put on a good evening for them. Perfect house (our kitchen is a mess -- we ripped the backsplash out and have a big hole where the hood goes), perfect meal, and impressive me (cook, clean, decorate, talk about different subjects of interest, and look GREAT).

Besides finishing the kitchen, cleaning the house, decorating the sukkah, and losing some weight I also want to brush up on my Hebrew conversation skills. (Hebrew is their native language and the wife tutored B -- hence the long story -- so I want to be able to participate in Hebrew conversations and not embarrass myself)

Maybe I can translate my Hebrew books while riding the excercise bicycle?

Eeeek. I looked at the calendar. They''ll be here this weekend. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Sweetie, calm down. The perfect hostess is a myth. Be yourself, and when in doubt, ask them a question. M''s mom hosts the most incredible brunches, and it''s not because she knows everything and has an impeccable house and perfect manners. It''s because when conversation seems to lull, she has a really insightful, interesting question to ask. So instead of stressing about everything, focus on food and conversation. At worst, you can make an effort with your Hebrew and ask questions. Besides, it would be terribly rude to hold a conversation in somebody''s home when one of the hosts was having trouble following the conversation. So relax. You''ll be great. No need to stress. Get things tidy, and start looking forward to this instead of dreading it!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''ll be fine. I''ll clean and cook until they show up and it''ll have to be good enough. With any luck I can lose a bit of weight before then too.

Haven''t settled on a menu yet. I''m leaning towards a repeat of last year (they weren''t there so don''t know it)

Fresh fruit tray
Rosemary dinner rolls
Roasted butternut squash soup
stuffed eggplant
brisket
roasted garlic mashed potatoes (& gravy)
ginger & lime yams
garlic & lemon brussel sprouts
baklava
pecan pie
apple pie

Now that I think about it, cleaning can be great for weight loss. Up and down stairs. Lifting and bending. And once the kitchen is clean you don''t want to mess it up.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is NOT the best way for everyone, but I weigh myself EVERY morning. I have a little notebook in the drawer in my bathroom and write it down. NO CHEATING. I have lost nearly 100 lbs and I hear all these stories (the vast majority of people with large weight losses gain it back BTW) about how "40lbs just packed back on!" etc. Well, you can''t gain 40lbs overnight. I have a normal average and can tolerate a couple pounds up or down depending on what I eat, cycle, etc but nothing more. It''s a TON easier to manage a 4lb loss than a 40lb.

Have you considered joining a support group?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2009 2:36:47 PM
Author: MissPrudential
I know this is NOT the best way for everyone, but I weigh myself EVERY morning. I have a little notebook in the drawer in my bathroom and write it down. NO CHEATING. I have lost nearly 100 lbs and I hear all these stories (the vast majority of people with large weight losses gain it back BTW) about how ''40lbs just packed back on!'' etc. Well, you can''t gain 40lbs overnight. I have a normal average and can tolerate a couple pounds up or down depending on what I eat, cycle, etc but nothing more. It''s a TON easier to manage a 4lb loss than a 40lb.

I like the journal idea. I''ll have to start one. My scale is in the bedroom next to a drawer so no excuse to forget or not have time. Seeing a little bit of progress even if it is over time might be the motivation I need to keep going.

No time for support group. And I''d feel out of place. Embarrassed to be upset by my weight when there are so many people out there who have much worse problems. (I''m 5'' 3" and about 138 lbs. -- would like to get to 125)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 3:01:25 PM
Author: TooPatient

Date: 9/30/2009 2:36:47 PM
Author: MissPrudential
I know this is NOT the best way for everyone, but I weigh myself EVERY morning. I have a little notebook in the drawer in my bathroom and write it down. NO CHEATING. I have lost nearly 100 lbs and I hear all these stories (the vast majority of people with large weight losses gain it back BTW) about how ''40lbs just packed back on!'' etc. Well, you can''t gain 40lbs overnight. I have a normal average and can tolerate a couple pounds up or down depending on what I eat, cycle, etc but nothing more. It''s a TON easier to manage a 4lb loss than a 40lb.

I like the journal idea. I''ll have to start one. My scale is in the bedroom next to a drawer so no excuse to forget or not have time. Seeing a little bit of progress even if it is over time might be the motivation I need to keep going.

No time for support group. And I''d feel out of place. Embarrassed to be upset by my weight when there are so many people out there who have much worse problems. (I''m 5'' 3'' and about 138 lbs. -- would like to get to 125)
No need to be embarrassed, sweetie! I go to Weight Watchers (and LOVE it), and while I get comments from people *outside* WW, everybody inside is great. They recognize that we can all have issues with food we need to fix or be unhappy with ourselves at any weight. It''s been fantastic. I''m 5''10" and 164, and I''m looking to try to get down to 145 and all I get is support from the women in my group. It really might be something worth looking in to.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I have definatly lost all motivation to lose weight. I was on track a few months ago but now I just don''t care. I think I only have the capasity to really really care about one thing at a time and at the moment, with one month left of uni till I graduate, all I care about is uni work. I really have to be focused on finnsihing what needs to be finnished and putting the effort in so I can graduate. Weightloss, at the moment, is just a distraction, somthing trying to steal my attention and effort away from work.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I like Miss Prudential's way of maintaining weight. I do the same. I have a normal and if I go up more than 2-3 lbs, I know it's time to cut back, which hasn't happened much.

I was on a real diet for about 3-4 months, 2 years ago and I am the same weight now that I was when I stopped. After YEARS of not liking my weight and watching what I ate & exercising more on and off for a week or two and having no results, because of the course the next week I wasn't watching it or I went overboard a few meals. For me, it just clicked one day that I really need to do this after seeing a friend lose a lot weight. I then proceeded to eat only 1500 calories per day with one cheat day per week and I lost 25 lbs. The only way to seriously lose more than a few pounds is to commit to it for months at a time. It is torturous some days when you are hungry or your friends are eating something great or you have to put half your meal in a to go container and it so good, you just want to eat all of it. The hardest part for me was abstaining from alcohol. There is no way I could fit a drink into 1500 calories and still fill up over the course of the day. But there are sooooo many social situations where alcohol is present and you have to act like an AAA member and people don't understand why you won't have one drink. Also, I love all things alcholic, so there is that too. But the best part was afterwards, when I had lost the weight and also realizing I could eat whatever I want now. I had spent most of my adult life watching one meal but not another and stressing about losing weight but never losing any. Well great I ate whatever I wanted then (but stressed about it) and still maintained my weight, I can do the same now without the stress and it has been true.

Anyways, Too Patient, I think you put to much pressure on yourself to be a perfect host. Also, I don't think you can lose even a lb before this weekend the healthy way and without putting it back on the next day. Do try to go on that diet, but if this meal is going to ruin it, I would wait until I was truly motivated. I noticed that too with myself, that if I cheated on day, it was over. I ruined the streak and mentally I couldn't do it again.

Your weight and height sounds perfect to me though. I am the same height and my goal weight is above yours. Just if you really want to lose 13 lbs, it's going to be a 2 month or more commitment of watching every meal and snack. At least, that is how my body works.

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Ooohhh kay. I'm gonna vent too.. but in the other direction... so I hope this doesn't offend anybody or tick anybody off!

I'm 5' 7" and range from 110-115 lbs. any given day. I haven't changed a bit since I was 11 years old, and no matter what I do, I can't gain weight for the life of me. It's one of my great wishes one day that my body's metabolism would slow down and I could feel more comfortable with my body. Yes, I'm skinny... and I'm sure everybody says they would like to be skinny... but on my side of the fence, it's not always roses. I get the "eat a cheeseburger!" comment a lot. I eat over 3,500 calories every day just to maintain my weight (while living a completely sedentary lifestyle), and I can forget about working out in order to get muscle tone and definition. Every time I try to go to do light workouts, I get really awful looks and comments. There's no special clubs for "weight gainers".

Being so skinny my whole life has made me feel so self conscious. I got the "there's the anorexic girl!" comments growing up, and sometimes I still do from those ugly people who walk by in a store or wherever and whisper "eeeaaaattt". And I dare not say that I don't work out or that I eat a baby elephant every day for fear of getting scorned.

The BF has done a great deal for my self confidence and has been slowly breaking me out of my shell, but I would love for the day to come when I can feel confident in a bikini and not cover up with a big t-shirt, or when I can feel good enough to not let the "skinny girl" comments hurt me... or when I can have another 10 lbs. on my body and feel awesome that I have curves instead of bones. Boobs are a foreign concept to me...lol.

*whew*...again, I REALLY hope I didn't offend anybody or piss anybody off... but sometimes I feel like I have absolutely nobody to talk to... since I'm what everybody else wants to be and I want to be anything but me.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Awww, JustLikeYou, that sucks! I think all of us can relate to not feeling good in our own skin, no matter what the cause. Have you seen a doctor? I know one of my friends in HS was like that (she''s suuuuuuuper skinny) and there was some issue with her thyroid that keeps her from gaining weight. I would seriously watch her down the craziest meals trying to gain weight and it never worked.

I''m glad your BF is helping you feel comfortable in your own skin. I don''t know what it is that makes people think it''s okay to comment on other people''s weight, but it''s definitely Not Cool.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Princesss. Go get a blood test for hyperthyroidism. I have hypothyroidism, and I never realized how it screwed me up until I got on the right dosage of meds!

JustLikeYou

Rough_Rock
Hmm. Never heard of of considered hyperthyroidism before. But a little research does seem to fit a little. I guess it''s time to call my doctor.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don''t know if you have an iphone-- but I have a weight-loss tracker on my phone that is password protected, so no chance a visitor in my bathroom will see my weight loss! lol. It definitely helps me, as I too make sure I do it every morning. The program also lets you set goals, see the loss on a graph, and tell you your weight loss per week. The added pressure to look at gains (from chinese at 10 pm the night before, lol) has helped me lose 12 pounds so far.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results