shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 30th Oct till 5th November

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week!

Well this past week has been a bad one for workouts, but I have been working so hard physically that I don''t suppose it matters, plus the milkman of all people commented that I had lost more weight, so I must be doing something right!
3.gif

We are nearly back to normal now, so as I still have some major house cleaning to do to get rid of all the dust the renovations have made, I should be able to have a good cardio session tomorrow.

Have a great week everyone and keep up the good work, Holidays now aren''t far away and Thanksgiving is only a little less than a month off!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/30/2006 7:14:53 AM
Author:Lorelei
Happy new week!

Well this past week has been a bad one for workouts, but I have been working so hard physically that I don''t suppose it matters, plus the milkman of all people commented that I had lost more weight, so I must be doing something right!
3.gif

We are nearly back to normal now, so as I still have some major house cleaning to do to get rid of all the dust the renovations have made, I should be able to have a good cardio session tomorrow.

Have a great week everyone and keep up the good work, Holidays now aren''t far away and Thanksgiving is only a little less than a month off!
Hi Lorelei:
You''re getting a great workout everyday so not to worry!
The milkman noticing your weight loss is funny
1.gif
you''re right...of all people.
Keep up the hard work!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just a quick follow up to share. Now when I go food shopping, I read every label for sodium, fat content, sugar, etc. I pass on items that I would have bought a year ago. I only keep healthy foods at home. Funny, but I don''t miss the bad stuff at all. It''s an adjustment that everyone can make. Try eliminating some of your worst food enemies, one by one. Guaranteed in a few weeks you won''t have those cravings anymore. I was even able to kick my daily summer cafe mocha addiction at Starbucks. Also saving some money. Sorry, Starbucks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it was hilarious with the MILKMAN noticing, I hardly ever see this chap apart from once a month to pay his bill, WHY is it when you work so hard in the gym and truly deserve some compliments they aren't forthcoming, yet slack off for a few days and people start to notice??
33.gif
Maybe it is like Rod said, when he took a week off from working out he dropped 4 pounds...

Funny you should mention about the food labels Jeff, I do the same thing now! I was so unaware of this stuff before and it has to be a good thing to take the time to see how the product registers on the fat and sodium scale as the info is there on most things. It does make you a lot more careful of hidden fats and sodium which can be lurking in even seemingly innocent foods...
6.gif
Over time it must really help long term weight and health maintenance.

Just thought I would add I have been smoke free for over 3 months now - I have beaten it and no cheating either! I am a non smoker!
16.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2006 10:09:30 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Just a quick follow up to share. Now when I go food shopping, I read every label for sodium, fat content, sugar, etc. I pass on items that I would have bought a year ago. I only keep healthy foods at home. Funny, but I don''t miss the bad stuff at all. It''s an adjustment that everyone can make. Try eliminating some of your worst food enemies, one by one. Guaranteed in a few weeks you won''t have those cravings anymore. I was even able to kick my daily summer cafe mocha addiction at Starbucks. Also saving some money. Sorry, Starbucks.
LOL Jeff! I too now read every label on just about every food item we buy. It takes a long time to get through the grocery store these days! Even though I''ve lost a lot of weight and my body fat is in the teens these days, I drew the line at cutting out everything fun, like Starbucks. I still go there, but I did cut out the twice daily mocha frapuccinos with extra chocolate. Instead, I have coffee and I do use cream and sugar in my coffee. But I still let Starbucks be a treat.

Dear Lorelei: You''ve worked out hard on your floors. Not to worry that your gym has been lonely. But don''t let this little ''vacation'' from the gym continue too long. The gym equipment needs company too!

So, it''s Monday, which means a no gym day. Instead, I''ll run nearly 6 miles later this afternoon. We''ve started going to a new sushi place on Monday''s. Our favorite one is closed on Mondays, but the one we go to that is open on Monday''s and we found quite by accident and we thought was really terrific and reminiscent of our fav, is actually owned and run by the son of our fav place. We thought that was funny.

Hope everyone''s planning a healthy week!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Lorelei: You''ve worked out hard on your floors. Not to worry that your gym has been lonely. But don''t let this little ''vacation'' from the gym continue too long. The gym equipment needs company too!

I will be back in my lonely gym tomorrow!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
funny, yesterday i was at the gym and a gal asked me how accurate i thought the scale was so we got into a convo...turns out she is kind of experiencing what i did with the scale not moving (or in her case moving up 2 lbs) but yet her clothes are fitting more loosely. so i told her about my experience with the muscle vs fat and that the scale took a few months to even start moving. she said she was trying not to get discouraged because her clothes WERE fitting more loosely. i said keep it up!! soon it will move. it was just kind of funny because they should put a big sign up by the scale or something going ''objects may weigh less than they appear if you are building muscle tone'' hahah. or something!! i wonder how many women go through that too. and are really unsure about if they are doing things correctly.

anyway, this week is doing to be a bear so i have had to rethink my workout schedule. since halloween is tomorrow i have to go get portia''s cape from my mom''s house today and also greg wants to carve pumpkins tonite so i can''t go to my workout class tonite. so i am hitting up the gym again which i am not in love with because i hate doing the same exercises back to back days because i feel more fatigued that way. so i will do a 500ish cal workout today, which is less than yesterday, but still more than kbox woulda been and i can be home by 7 for some pumpkin carving with hubby. tomorrow i''m doing another gym workout because kbox is closed for halloween, and then wed i will go to my kbox class. kinda not jazzed about the 3 back to back gym workout days but unfort that is just the way it is this week.

hope everyone is having a wonderful day!! i''m kind of sore today from yesterday''s workout so i am going to stretch all day so that my muscles will be ready for later this afternoon''s gym day..yikes!! and maybe eat a protein bar before i go to give them some food.

CONGRATS lorelei on 3 months smoke free. you are my hero, lady!!!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all.
Haven''t posted in a while, but I''ve been doing pretty well.
I went to the gym Saturday with my trainer, Sunday alone and today with my trainer. She''s switched me to a lot of cardio so I''m working really hard. She also has me doing a food journal which is really helping me out. I don''t want to have to write down all the bad stuff I eat, so I don''t eat it! She thinks I''m not eating enough veggies and too much starch. So it''s sashimi instead of sushi from now on!
My fi says he''s committed to going to the gym too, so hopefully he can get me to go on my off days.
I''m trying on dresses in less than three weeks!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
hello all!

Last week I was missing in action due to an infection/traveling combo that made it really tricky to do a proper workout during the week. However, I made a very conscious effort to WALK everywhere on my work trip --getting a tinsy bit lost more than once -- and watched my eating. I also got in two pilates workouts over the weekend and best of all, my loving beau surprised me with classic cruiser bicycle. I''ve been wanting one for a while now. Hubby is a cycling enthusiast, I am NOT, but I wanted to take the equivalent of a weekend stroll. there are tons of great trails in DC and the surrounding area.

I also went to a halloween costume party on saturday night. i''m not one that loves to dress up, so, i rummaged through my closet and decided to go as a soccer player. suiting up really made me want to play again. I know that it''s fairly off in the distance, but i think i''ll look into a club team once spring comes around. i was super sporty growing up and it''s always been so much easier for me to exercise through playing a sport rather than to work out simply for working out''s sake.

lorelei: that comment from the milkman is too cute

jeff: i''ve become label brainwashed (in a good way) as well.

mara: congrats on the progess. sounds like you are in a zone!

and to everyone else from last week''s thread -- Good Job
emstar.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
This weekend was bad for JC... I went to a Halloween party on Saturday, pizza for dinner beforehand, and then jello shots and chips and candy at the party. But I won one of the costume contest categories! Most Biologically Accurate (it was a bio department party) for my blue jay costume. I''ll post pics once people send some to me.
Yesterday was also bad foodwise. Chipotle lunch (veggie soft tacos, no guac) and then pizza for a late dinner.
Today, I had an egg and cheese bagel for breakfast, lunch will be an apple, a banana, and an Amy''s Kitchen broccoli pot pie - even veggies have to have a pot pie sometimes! Dinner will be something quick, unfortunately fast food I think because we have a meeting at 6 across town and J doesn''t usually get home until 5:30. I''ll try to put together some sandwiches we can eat in the car so we don''t have to buy fast food, but I don''t know if I''ll have time.

In less than an hour, I''m going to the fitness yoga class for the first time in over a month, so I''m going to get a fantastic workout - this lady kicks your butt! I also walked in to school this morning and will be biking home.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I just finished my Total Body Training class. I actually get excited about going to it which is great motivation. Friday will be one month since I signed up at the gym, so I plan on measuring my weight and body fat to see if I''ve made any progress.

This past weekend could have been more unhealthy than it was b/c I had terrible allergies and a hangover Saturday so I didn''t eat as much as normal and I didn''t drink Saturday night at a b-day party so that I could take some benedryl when I got home. I also got a salad for dinner that night instead of fajitas.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, I am going to be sore tomorrow! My yoga instructor is so nice, and sweet, and encouraging, you just want to push yourself harder for her. I feel I will be suffering the consequences tomorrow. She does give a great ab workout though.

Tomorrow, the evening yoga classes are cancelled for Halloween, so I won''t go to my regular class. Hopefully I''ll do a tape of some kind instead.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m taking today off, my body aches from my weekend walking excursions. I''m making baked ziti from a Cooking Light recipe for dinner, should be yummy. That''s about it from me.

Have fun at yoga tonight JCJD! I would love to get back into a community center yoga class. I participated in one when I lived up north and really enjoyed it. I don''t get as much out of the DVDs at home. Once the walk is over I can commit to doing other things, perhaps yoga or karate and/or golf but for now I need to remain focused.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''m afraid today did not go as planned. As you recall, Monday''s are no gym zone days, but I do run instead. So, I was heading out at noon to meet Charlie for lunch when I noticed a screw in one of the tires of my SL500. No problem, I thought.......Sears is near where we''ll have lunch and they can plug it. So, I drop it off at Sears who assures me they can indeed plug the tire. Two hours later I stroll up and they tell me they''re out of plugs and one is on the way. OK....another hour and I stroll up and they say the wrong part came. I mean come on, how difficult can it be to plug a tire and it''s a Sears tire store to boot? So, I take my car and drive around the corner to the Firestone Tire store. They say they''ve got the plug and my car will be the next in the shop. An hour later, my car is still waiting. Finally, my car is taken in and 45 minutes later they come out to tell me the plug won''t take and my tire needs to be replaced. Of course they call all over the land and for only $450, they can get the tire in another hour. So, I call the Mercedes dealer and they have the tire in stock for $367, so off I go to the Mercedes dealer and two hours later and $400 poorer, I have a new tire. But, I missed my run and just headed to the sushi restaurant to meet Charlie for dinner. I did at least enjoy my Saporo Japanese Beer!

A most frustrating day to say the least.
38.gif
29.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I just started and already I''m slipping! Today I just did 40 minutes on the ellipse and no other exercises. Where the heck does my time go anyway? Sunday I really had no free time until 11pm so no workout then.
However we did come up with a week''s menu for dinner and lunchs and bought all the food! I know most people do this, but it''s the first time for us. Many of our food problems stem from either lunch or dinner when we''re tired. Since we know the two evenings we''re least likely to feel like cooking we''ve already planned crockpot dishes for those nights. Tonight it''s tuscon beef stew!

While I could have been better, at least it''s a start.
5.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 7:14:53 AM
Author:Lorelei
Happy new week!

3.gif

Lorelei?
I''m just so amazed that you have a milkman!!!! Let alone that he noticed you lost weight! LOL!
Here''s to a good week for all of us. Had to put the Halloween candy out of my reach.
chocolate is my achilles heel!!!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I''m coming out of lurkdom! I''ve been lurking on these threads for about a month now, and I think it is great that you all are doing so well with your workouts and food! I have been regularly working out 4-6 times per week for about 3.5 years and really feel like I''m in the best shape of my life. It has definitely become a way of life for me.

Any way, I had a workout PS moment today, so I decided it was about time to post. I am fortunate to work about a 10-15 minute walk away from my gym. After work today I was really tired (I think b/c of the time change -- completely dark at 5pm really sucks!) and thought for a moment about just going straight home. But then I thought of this thread and how everyone says that posting their workouts on here is motivational ..... so, I went and did my workout. 35 minutes on the elliptical and then a 1-hour weight training class where we do all sorts of exhausting stuff. It is really a total body workout that uses medicine balls, hand weights, and stability balls. We do tons of squats, lunges, and dead-lifts with the medicine ball (so many that I really do not want to count them). We also do biceps, shoulders, chest, triceps, upper/lower back, push-ups, and ab work on the stability ball. I''m always sore for a few days after this class ~ it is great for muscle toning!

Another reason I decided to finally post was to ask Mara a couple of questions about her heart rate monitor, as I''ve been thinking about getting one for a while.

Mara ~ From what I''ve read, the Polar F6 consists of a chest strap and a watch. Is that right? Is the chest strap comfortable? Also, I have a fairly small wrist (~5.5" diameter). I''m wondering if the watch would be bulky - I''m not used to wearing a watch during my workouts. I really need to get out and look at some I guess, because I think one might go on my Christmas wish list.
1.gif
Thanks in advance! I love your posts, and you are definitely a motivator for working out and eating healthy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome turtledazzle!! how awesome 4-5x a week for 3.5 years! very inspirational. i just hope i can keep my workouts up, schedule permitting, as i get back into this steady work thing it's amazing how much time is consumed at the office, hahaa. today i got up, dropped portia off at daycare, went to work, went after work to get pumpkins, then hustled over to gym where i worked out, then had to drive to my mom's to get portia's halloween cape, and then off to get portia at daycare before 7pm. came home, showered, the pizzas are in the oven, then we are carving pumpkins. WHEW. can you say busy day?!?!

i decided i am taking tomorrow off because i don't want to overdo it...i am still 'on track' for this week if i take tomorrow off and just do 750 cals on wed, so i think i will be more well rested than doing tomorrow and wed kind of 1/2 strength yanno. so tonite i did the elliptical for 33 minutes then did the treadmill for the remaining 15 i had before i had to hustle off to my mom's...and burned 515 calories. i really was working hard because i knew i had a time constraint.

rod sorry to hear about your frustrating day, ugh!! hopefully tomorrow is better and at least your tire is fixed now!! sushi yum!

turtle, about the HRM..yes it's a watch and chest strap. now i am TOTALLY not into constricting things on my chest...aka i hate wearing 'strap me down' sports bras kinda things, but the chest strap is not uncomfortable. i wear it a tiny bit loose and just tuck the back under my sports bra or whatever tank i have on and it stays in place. the watch is really cool. it has all sorts of functions i don't even use right now, but basically it tells me things like heart rate tracking (aka where my min and max is and if you want to use heart rate to track workouts, aka where you 'should be' in a zone, or when you should work harder etc, it's great) and calorie tracking for my age, height and weight which is awesome, and it has a file area where i can store my workouts and then i don't know if this one has the download capabitlies or not but my dad's lets him download to a computer so he can 'track' his progress if he wants. i'm not interested in doing that...but i feel definitely more 'effective' in my workouts with the HRM on. and the watch has like 20 little holes for the strap to tighten, i kid you not. so chances are it will fit you. but yes the watch is a wee bit bulky...i'm not used to wearing a watch but i am already getting used to it and it's only on me for like an hour so it's not a huge deal. also the watch actually tells time and date if you want to use it just like a real watch as well. so yes i really love it...i know there are other ones out there but i had heard that some of them were not so great and polar is a really great respected brand and my dad has used one for years so i knew i wanted one of these. also he got greg one like 4 months ago and greg loves his too.

whew, so now have to go eat some pizza and salad...!! i am STARVING. there was halloween candy at the office but i just had a small bag of m&m's and a twix personal stick (which is like 1/2 of a regular twix bar!) so i wasn't too bad. i got some candy for trick or treaters tomorrow but i only plan to keep a few 3 musketeers here and take the rest of leftovers to work!!

indie...congrats on planning ahead re: food, i find that is the easiest way for us to just know what we are having, no stress, no thinking about it and when you are busy during the week it's good to have food in the fridge that you know you can eat!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei?
I'm just so amazed that you have a milkman!!!! Let alone that he noticed you lost weight! LOL!

Heehee!! We have lots of milkmen in the UK, they are still going strong! It is great to run out of miluk for your cereal then know the milkman will be arriving in 5 mins, they are very regular! Hubby is upset as the milkman is noticing my body!
9.gif
Off now to do some cardio, going to try for an hour!

Welcome Turtledazzle
35.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Mara ~ thanks for the reply about the HRM. Sounds like a great little device! It does sound like you had a terribly busy day!

I have been working out pretty regularly for quite a while now. I have had times where life or work gets in the way of my exercise at times (dontcha just hate that!), but I start to notice that I get cranky if I don't work out for more than 2-3 days. Exercise has definitely become my form of stress relief I think.

Lorelei ~ Thanks for the welcome! Right now I wish I had a milkman ... we're almost out of milk!
8.gif
Kudos to you for quitting smoking!!! There are many smokers in my family, and I so wish they would quit. Way to go! Your lungs and the rest of your body definitely thank you!

ETA: Happy Halloween everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the congrats with the smoking TD, I DO deserve the praise! Also I definitely feel much better for quitting, we walked past a group of guys puffing the other day and it smelled so disgusting, it was a good thing I went past them to be able to smell exactly how unpleasant they are - yuck. I don''t know what I would do without my milkman, also he can deliver OJ and a few simple groceries too, very useful if you live out in the sticks like me!

WE HAVE A NEW TOY!!!
emsmilep.gif
A while back we ordered some Bowflex adjustable dumbells, they arrived and are GREAT! Good thing we have these as we are STILL waiting on our multigym being repaired or replaced...
5.gif

I did 50 mins cardio this morning so back on it with a vengeance!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You go Lorelei!!!!

And I''m glad you are still non-smoking. I just hit 15 months. And as disgusting as it is, I will always miss it. It''s the most difficult when at Starbucks and everyone lights up with their coffee. But, I am committed to my healthy self and won''t ever go back.

Not sure if I''m working out today or not. My back is hurting. Not sure what I did to it, but when I''m walking a little crooked, it''s often best to not aggravate it. Though, I''ve also gone to the gym like this and walked out straighter. So, I''ll wait until this afternoon and decide what to do.

I don''t think taking a couple of days off will hurt me anyway. When one works out as hard as I do, sometimes it''s a good thing to take a few days rest and let the muscles fully recover.

Anyway.......Happy Tuesday Everyone

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Rest up Rod...

I''m all for a few days of rest. I have sustained many exercise induced injuries. I figure it''s better to rest, than be forced NOT to work out for a while (3 knee surgeries...baby!)

I''m going to try to get home early for a quick run before the little ghosts and goblins arrive. I''m really sad this school year. My day is SOOOOO much longer, and I find that I can never get to the gym until around 5:00 when it''s jam packed!
I''ve not done a lot of cross training because of that. I think my arms and upper body are suffering!!!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Halloween!

Rod: I am so very sorry about your back. Take it easy and you''ll heal much quicker. I know, easier said than done.

Indie: It sounds like you''re off to a good start to me! Food planning is so important.

Turtle: Welcome!

I just finished a bit more than 60 mins on the elliptical and burned 550 calories. Breakfast was my usual, oatmeal, lunch will be a power bar and I think we''re having pizza and salad for dinner. We live up a huge mountain w/ no sidewalks so we''re going to my MIL''s house, which is sitting empty while we''re cleaning it up to put it on the market, to pass out candy. It''s a huge mess and cooking isn''t feasible there, so take out it is.

I haven''t had a single piece of Halloween candy and I am so darn proud of myself. Last night I made sugar cookies for the board and care facility residents where my MIL lives and I had the smallest one of the first batch to test its doneness (i know that''s not a word!) but that was it.
36.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m feeling a little better with myself, I started doing my yoga routine again on Sunday. Go me!
9.gif
But ugh, the time change is really screwing me up and I keep waking up an hour too early...
14.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kim and Tybee.........Actually my back is feeling better this afternoon and I think I''ll go to the gym and give it a go. If I start to hurt, I''ll just go to the steam room and let the warmth help my sore muscles.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Can anyone make an estimate on calories/points for beef stew made with really really lean beef, tomato soup, beef broth, 1/2 cup wine, carrots, and cannelli beans?

Danger, Rant ahead:
I swear it''s sooo much harder to pass by the boxes of halloween candy on halloween! I hate my mother. We carefully bought candy we didn''t like and she shows up with giant costco boxes of Reese''s pieces, M&M''s, and Milk Dud''s (my fave after peanut butter cups). We did need extra candy ''cause we get lot''s of children being right next to an elementary school, still I should have turned it down. Plus she keeps saying how I''ll never fit into the wedding dress and I''ll need to lose 30lbs to drop from a 14 to a 12.
39.gif

The thing I''m really worried about is my chest. I''m currently 37 inches below my bust and my mother measured the band below the bust on the dress and said it was 34 inches. I''m not sure I can lose three inches off of my ribs in 4 months! The standard chest measurement for jcrew size 12 strapless wedding dresses is 38 inches. Subtract three for cup size and I need to be at 35 inches (hoping my mother measured wrong). How much weight is 2 inches off of a spot without a lot of muscle to tone, and how much is three inches? Does anyone know? I''m sooo worried.
8.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys, I decided that today would be a good day to get my rump in gear, as Mara led me over here for tips, support and overall help- mentally and emotionally.
9.gif
Of course, I started the day off WRONG with a half eaten slice of pumpkin bread and a grande White chocolate mocha from Starbucks. I''m going to slowly phase myself out of sweets, and up my veggie intake. MUST fit in decent sized wedding gown before the new year! Honestly, I hope to be a regular, even if just for the guilt trips I feel when I read how well everyone else is doing!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
heh, Yes, a wedding dress is a good motivator, but I too will certainly be continuing on after the wedding! We want to be fit and healthy and live long long lives together!
5.gif

Welcome Amber! Glad to have another sweet addicted begginer on board!
1.gif
35.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Indie, this Halloween day is the worst for sweets eaters. Good thing FI got all the sucky candy that I don''t like! I vow to keep it up after the wedding, which is in a year anyway, so by that time, eating well should be a habit!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results