shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 24th July - 30th July

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning to all.

Another week is here so we can Lovelify, Help shift Heft, Rebuild etc!

Fooling around aside
9.gif
how are we all doing? Rod, thanks so much for your participation in this thread, you truly are an inspiration and we would love to see your pics! You could always send them to Irina and she will post them for you as we want to see your poster!

Went to the gym as usual and was on the machines at 5.50 am. I asked Hubby if the crosstrainer and elliptical are the same thing and he said yes - duh! So I did my usual 30 mins on the elliptical then 15 on the treadmill. I really cranked up the resistance on the elliptical and have a bit of a pain in my leg, but not too worried about it.

Food wise I have been very good and disciplined recently, but I can feel a banana split craving coming on soon, especially as Mara has had one - so I think I might treat myself later in the week!

My usual is.....Rocky Road, caramel ribbon and pistachio almond, hot fudge and caramel anf marshmallow sauce, cream, nuts and cherries. YUM! That last sentence doesn''t really belong in a workout thread!!!!!!

Have a great week everyone and be careful exercising in the heat
35.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to work all weekend so I got no workout in-went for a quick walk with my doggie last night but that was it. Will try and make it to the gym today

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I''m re-commited again, because vacation really is over. I am taking my lunch, a yummy turkey sandwhich on whole wheat LITE bread *it''s really pretty good for 40 calories a slice* with THIN and I mean thin mayo and mustard with lettuce. An apple for snackage.

Breakfast will be Special K Vanilla Almond. LOVE that!

Lunch hour will be used for the gym, again. I''m HOPING my partner will be going, but if not, I''ll just do the elliptical. I love it, she hates it.

I never posted how much I GAINED on vacation. It''s sick, really. Like almost 6 pounds.

Oh well, I''m on it again now. Paul says he is, too. He had one last "fling" with Arby''s last night.
9.gif

biokatie

Rough_Rock
I''ve been doing WW for 2.5 years or so now..ups and downs and ups and downs. I am doing really well though now...trying to lose the 20 lbs I gained when my thyroid went on the blink. I did about 45 minutes on treadmill and elliptical yesterday and went golfing. Will get to the gym today too :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, sounds like everyone had a productive weekend!

I did 30 min on the elliptical and free weights Sat. morning and then spent 3 hours scrubbing our new house, which left me feeling like I''d done a 3 hour workout, yipee!

Yesterday I took it easy, the heat is horrible and I''m still not over my sinus infection/sore throat, darn it!

Food wise things have been fine, we went out Sat. night and I splurged a bit, tortellini, but I had crackers and grapes for lunch, oatmeal for breakfast and nothing else, so I don''t feel bad about it.

Here''s to a great week!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i posted this last nite on the other thread but i''ll post it here again too since it''s got my weekend stuff in it...

this weekend was a whole lotta heat!!! and for some reason that makes me want to snack snack snack. fruit was in there too but i also ate some small vanilla cookies from some vending machine pack greg brought home from work (thanks honey!) and yesterday we went to a BBQ so i had spinach dip and steak and hot dog and corn..yum and then ice cream cake for dessert!! today we are contemplating pizza or a steak for the grill outside, but all i can think of is a hot fudge banana split sundae!!!! i haven''t had one in years!

on the plus plus note, i had some shorts i bought online at jcrew last year on sale that didn''t fit when they arrived, so i threw them in a drawer and said whatever...well i tried them on yesterday randomly while looking for cool summer clothes to wear and they fit perfectly and even got loose after i wore them for a bit..woo hoo. so greg of course is like ''well if you have the banana split you can''t fit into the shorts anymore ...and i said NO WAY....i''m working out like a fiend so i *can* still have the banana split AND still fit into the shorts baby!! i worked out at kbox 4 times last week, which is my most so far...woo hoo. i plan to go 4x again this week. it really is making some changes in my body that the other class wasn''t.

as for workouts, it''s been really hot...but yesterday morning i got up and went to kbox class, it was 94 on my way into class at 8:45am! so i didn''t feel guilty at all for the eating yesteray...and we went for a ~1m walk last nite when we got home at like 11pm and it was still 85 out! today we did some housecleaning and lazed around, i am SO planning that banana split but i would also like for us to go out and do our 2m loop after the sun goes down around 9:30pm or so...it''ll still be warm but i feel like i need to get out of the house at some point today!

ETA: i ended up NOT having the banana split because after dinner (vietnamese vermicelli salad and a tapioca shaved ice drink!) i was pretty full...but we went for a 2.5m walk after 9pm and i got a single scoop of rocky road from baskin robbins on the way home, yum!!! it just hit the spot. i think i could do a banana split as a meal replacement but it was so not going to fit in there with my dinner, hehee. darn! banana split plan foiled again!!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 4:25:32 AM
Author:Lorelei
Good morning to all.

Another week is here so we can Lovelify, Help shift Heft, Rebuild etc!

Fooling around aside
9.gif
how are we all doing? Rod, thanks so much for your participation in this thread, you truly are an inspiration and we would love to see your pics! You could always send them to Irina and she will post them for you as we want to see your poster!

Went to the gym as usual and was on the machines at 5.50 am. I asked Hubby if the crosstrainer and elliptical are the same thing and he said yes - duh! So I did my usual 30 mins on the elliptical then 15 on the treadmill. I really cranked up the resistance on the elliptical and have a bit of a pain in my leg, but not too worried about it.

Food wise I have been very good and disciplined recently, but I can feel a banana split craving coming on soon, especially as Mara has had one - so I think I might treat myself later in the week!

My usual is.....Rocky Road, caramel ribbon and pistachio almond, hot fudge and caramel anf marshmallow sauce, cream, nuts and cherries. YUM! That last sentence doesn''t really belong in a workout thread!!!!!!

Have a great week everyone and be careful exercising in the heat
35.gif
Thanks Lorelei. I highlighted the fact that you were in the gym at 5:50 AM. I choose to believe this is a time of day that does not exist for me in a waking sense. I am not a morning person at all. I''m not really a night person either. I figure I have two really good hours a day, between 2 and 4 pm, otherwise it''s all uphill or downhill from there. LOL

There''s nothing wrong with indulging oneself occassionally. In fact, it''s important to do so. Otherwise you build up resentments that can take you completely off target and that''s not a good thing. Since moving into our new condo, we''ve discovered a frozen yogurt shop within walking distance. So now on Sunday''s we eat a healthy dinner around 5 PM, then we take a 3 - 5 mile walk ending at the yogurt shop and we get to treat ourselves with whatever we want.

Today''s not a workout day. If there are no thunder storms tonight (it is Tampa in July), I plan to run 3 miles. Tomorrow we go back to the gym for three straight days, then Friday we take the night off and we go for Sushi. It''s amazing how incredibly fond of Sushi we''ve become since we started working out. In fact, we''d rather go out for Sushi over just about any other type of food. A year ago, you couldn''t have given me a free sushi dinner. Now, I''m gobbling all the raw tuna rolls I can manage to find. Funny how one''s palate changes. I think a lot of it''s mental.

I''m still trying to figure out how to save the word file. How do I send it to Irina so she can post it for me?

Thanks.........Rod

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rod we love sushi too...spicy tuna rolls are the best!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
A Happy Monday everyone!

I did get out for my walks over the weekend but I came down with a summer cold yesterday morning so I am feeling kinda crappy. I am craving fresh corn on the cob so I will indulge in that today and drink lots of fluids to try and flush this cold bug out!!

I hope everyone has a great week of eating healthy, being active and having fun!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, this weekend I took off from working out, but that was planned. Today I want to jump right back into it. I may do another long run tonight since the weather''s just perfect here today. Mid 80''s and low humidity is good summer running weather. If I do a long run, I probably won''t do the weights. I''ll just be too sore.

I hope everyone''s workout week goes well!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Mmm sushi
18.gif
. It is my all time favorite food. I really think that I could eat it for every meal. I actually found a recipe online for avocado and cucumber rolls and tried it a few weeks ago. It was soooo good. Not as good as my favorite Japanese restaurant, but still delicious. Does anyone know if sushi is good or bad for you?

I''ve been trying to get in shape recently (I just started a 2 week trial at curves last week) and I think I over did it already
8.gif
. I went 3 times last week, but when I didn''t feel too worn out after my first 30-minute workout, I decided to up the next to to an hour. I''m not sure how I did it, but I really hurt my foot and it now hurts to walk which makes cardio quite difficult. I went today after resting fri-sun (I was hoping that would be enough), but it started hurting almost immediately
7.gif
. I stuck it out and finished the workout, but that was probably a bad idea as it hurts worse now.

Anyone have any ideas of cardio that I could do while my foot is healing?

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Hey all : ) Hope your week is starting well!

Question for those of you who use an elliptical machine. What kind of program do you do? How long? What intensity/resistance/incline?

I''m just curious because I alternate between running outside and then going to the gym to do weight training and cardio - either treadmill or elliptical typically. I''ve been doing a 33 minute "weight loss" program, and going with the default settings... If I push myself through the whole thing, I come up with usually 4 miles give or take a little, and about 450+ calories burned. I''m just not sure how "good" of a workout this really is, or how I should adjust it to possibly lose more weight, or get more out of it.

I''m just wondering how other people approach these machines - do you set a distance goal? Just try to burn max calories? I have been meaning to schedule an hour with one of the personal trainers at the gym, but haven''t gotten around to it yet. Figured asking you guys would be helpful too : )

Thanks!

Aussiegirl : p

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sushi itself is not good or bad for you, it''s what goes into the things you eat at sushi restaurants. for example something like edamame is pretty healthy for you as long as you don''t pack on the salt, it has lots of protein in it and hardly any fat and a low amount of calories for a serving. if you eat avocado in your rolls, obviously that is high fat, but it''s the good fat, so as long as you don''t overdo it it would be fine. the rolls themselves have a lot of calories due to the white rice, you can ask for the rolls to be made sans rice, which takes a lot of the calories out of it, and i personally don''t care about eating rice as it''s not ''tasty'' so i don''t think it''s a huge loss of taste. at the place we go to, i get the spicy tuna rolls (which is just radish and spicy tuna with cucumber, rice and wrapped paper) and the ahi tuna rolls which has some avocado, tuna, cucumber and they sprinkle with coconut (guilty pleasure!!)...but at least it''s a good fat. also if you have the tea instead of drinking a coke or similar, it''s obviously better for you. tempura would not be the best for you, etc. it just depends on what you eat. but it is fresh and pretty healthy for the most part...i think you can always tell a lot about a cultural type of food in general (aka italian, mexican, japanese, indian) by how that culture of people is ''shaped'' body wise. definitely a broad generalization, but it seems to be somewhat accurate for the most part. i know for my own mexican culture, the rice and beans gets packed on in the bottom half every time!!! hehee.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 12:14:27 PM
Author: Mara
Rod we love sushi too...spicy tuna rolls are the best!
Yummmmm.........One of the Sushi restaurants we frequent has a roll called the Playboy, another has one called the Dragon, but they are both spicy tuna rolls with minor differences. We used to get one roll along with some others, but we''ve gotten to the point that we get two of the spicy tuna rolls with one other roll. I also like ebi and gyoza, but I tend to slather both with wasabi until my nose starts running.

Mara, I know what you mean about looking at people culterally and seeing how their waste lines look. I realize it''s generalizing, but typically, the Japanese people are rather slim wasted. Also, I suppose the rice isn''t that good for you, but I enjoy the rise in a sushi roll. I tend to use lot''s of wasabi and ginger too. I do use soy, but very sparingly.

Thanks Mara!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 12:42:29 PM
Author: aussiegirl23
Hey all : ) Hope your week is starting well!

Question for those of you who use an elliptical machine. What kind of program do you do? How long? What intensity/resistance/incline?

I'm just curious because I alternate between running outside and then going to the gym to do weight training and cardio - either treadmill or elliptical typically. I've been doing a 33 minute 'weight loss' program, and going with the default settings... If I push myself through the whole thing, I come up with usually 4 miles give or take a little, and about 450+ calories burned. I'm just not sure how 'good' of a workout this really is, or how I should adjust it to possibly lose more weight, or get more out of it.

I'm just wondering how other people approach these machines - do you set a distance goal? Just try to burn max calories? I have been meaning to schedule an hour with one of the personal trainers at the gym, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Figured asking you guys would be helpful too : )

Thanks!

Aussiegirl......I'm pretty intense on the elliptical. A typical workout for me is 1 - 1.5 hours on weights (machines and free weights), then I do a 45 minute run on the elliptical with the following goals:

1. To not drop below 85 RPM
2. To travel no less than 5.5 miles
3. To burn no less than 700 Calories

I also incorporate 30 second sprints every 7 - 10 minutes where I push the RPM to over 100 for just 30 seconds to push my heart rate over 160. Most of the time I manage to keep my heart rate in the high 140's low 150's.

If I decide to only do cardio (for example if I pushed on the weights too much one day), then I increase the time on the elliptical to 60 minutes. I don't really love dance music, but I have 7 hours of dance music on my MP3 player to keep my pace going. Otherwise I tend to wander rhythmically and lose sight of my goals.

I don't know if this helps you, but it's what I do.......

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yeah Rod I eat the rolls with the rice mostly because I just never remember to ask for them without, but maybe this week I will ask for one roll without just to see if there''s any real difference. For me it''s all about taste vs calories so if the rice is not adding that much taste wise then I would probably cut it out.

I found some calorie information on rolls online and it said something like a Rainbow roll is something like 500 calories which is a lot but those Rainbow ones typically also have fish on them and stuff and are pretty big

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow......500 calories does seem high, but then I probably don''t want to know how many calories were in the honkin'' pizza''s I used to consume, with extra cheese and extra pepperoni.......
14.gif

And Like yourself, I''m more concerned with the taste. For example, we tried a roll this weekend with raw salmon. I thought, hey, I love salmon, so this should be great. But the reality was I didn''t care for the texture and I found the salmon a touch fishy tasting. Maybe it was mental, but I like my Salmon cooked medium and I think I''ll avoid it in a sushi roll.........

I think I''ll take your advice though and see if the rolls benefit (tastewise at least) from removing rice.

Thanks

biokatie

Rough_Rock
Whew! I just got back from a 6 mile brisk walk! I feel good and tired! What a combo.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe actually pizza is not that bad if you consume just a little bit..i was checking it out online the other day because greg LOVES it and we very rarely get it...because i am just not a huge pizza fan. but we were getting one so i was curious to see stats on it. fat of course is kinda up there but it depends on what you get. for example something like a cheese with mushroom is not that bad, and ranges from 200-250 calories per slice depending on if its thick or thin crust etc. obviously stuffed crusts etc are insanely higher. pepperoni was like 300 calories. totally not worth adding the meat IMO for 50 calories per slice! anyway i figured well if i have 2 slices of cheese and a side salad with vinaigrette, it''s not THAT BAD!!!! but yeah if you consume half the pizza or something, defintely not doing any favors to your body.

anyway as for salmon, interestingly enough you should mention that...this week i was out to sushi with a friend and she said you should try raw salmon..i was like i dont know and she goes it''s very good, buttery. so i had one nigiri and it was actually quite good!! definitely smooth and buttery tasting and fairly rich. so i think it depends on where you get the raw fish/salmon, i am soo picky about my raw fish, it has to be a great sushi place. and this was pretty darn good! so maybe try it at another place next time and see if you like it better.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will try it at the other sushi place we go to. Maybe my first experience with salmon was just not the best and hopefully, I''ll get to experience that "buttery" smoothness you had.

Thanks Mara!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 2:51:51 PM
Author: biokatie
Whew! I just got back from a 6 mile brisk walk! I feel good and tired! What a combo.
Good for you. Six miles is a nice distance to cover!!!!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Wow Rod, you make me feel like such a slacker!!! Just kidding, but I''m impressed!

How often do you do this routine?

And for anyone - what''s best? Doing say 35 minutes of cardio 5 times a week (what I do), or doing about an hour 3 times a week?

Does one or the other help with weight loss??

I think mostly I pick to go in more often and for a shorter time because it keeps me from letting 2 days in between runs turn into 3 or 4, it makes it easier to go since it''s not as long, etc.... but it''d be interesting to know if I''m approaching this all wrong!!!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I only managed 3 days last week. I''m aiming for 4-5 this week to get back on track. Tonight is my first workout at the gym and I''m going to do the same running phase from last week. My biggest problem lately is getting in my home workouts. I go to the gym twice and have to do the other 2-3 days at home. It has been very tough to get up in the morning lately and almost harder to force myself to workout after working all day.
I wish I could still workout during lunch. Anyway, eating was ok last week until I had a bunch of choc. chip cookies last night. UGH! My willpower can be terrible at times. Feeling better today though, hopefully back on track.

Good to hear that everybody''s getting the workouts in. Have a good week!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 4:18:43 PM
Wow Rod, you make me feel like such a slacker!!! Just kidding, but I''m impressed!

How often do you do this routine?

And for anyone - what''s best? Doing say 35 minutes of cardio 5 times a week (what I do), or doing about an hour 3 times a week?

Does one or the other help with weight loss??

I think mostly I pick to go in more often and for a shorter time because it keeps me from letting 2 days in between runs turn into 3 or 4, it makes it easier to go since it''s not as long, etc.... but it''d be interesting to know if I''m approaching this all wrong!!!

Honest, I hope I don''t make you feel like a slacker
39.gif
. You should be proud of your efforts. You are not doing anything wrong. You are to be commended on going and staying with it!!!!
36.gif

I work out 5 days a week. I do the elliptical all 5 days with Monday''s and Friday''s off, but I tend to either walk or run those days. I read just about every health and fitness magazine I can get my hands on and there is controversy over how often, but the consensus I''ve read is (and I''m trying to live to this) that for the best fitness levels, a person should do at least 30 minutes of cardio no less than 5 times a week. I tend to be a rather compulsive obsessive guy and I just push the envelope a little harder. I also started much later in life and feel I have to work so much harder to rid my body of the ''sins'' of the first 50 years. The next 50 are going to be better!!

I really wish I could upload this poster my gym did of me. Lorelei if you''re out there today, how do I send it to Irina for her to post it?

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Rod, you''re not making me feel BAD, just giving me a good kick in the pants! Which I need to get my butt in gear!!!!

You''re an inspiration... thank you
19.gif

p.s. I''m with you on the pizza - extra cheese, pepperoni... my god, it''s making me drool just thinking about it!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.....Here goes. I think I figured out how to save the Word file as a JPEG and hopefully, it will upload. No laughing at the "old fart," OK??? But, I have to mention that we were talking with a guy at the gym the other day and it turns out he''s exactly my age, only he look''s considerably older. He commented that I looked so good, but he commented that I was obviously in my 40s. Which made me so VERY happy, since I am rappidly approaching 52.

Rods success.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aussie, i would say that 30 minutes 5 days a week is better in my opinion.

the FDA guidelines or whatever they are say something like 30 minutes of higher heart rate per day is required to be ''fit'' kinda thing..and something like 45-60 minutes per day for weight loss. that is not ALL AT ONCE, it can be cumulative...aka a 15 minute walk in the morning and then 30 minutes at the gym is 45 minutes for your day. or add another walk in at night to get 60 minutes. i don''t think those are hard and fast rules either. for example if you do 15 minutes of running it''s probably more like 30 minutes of walking. so i think if you only have time for a quick workout, then make it as intense as possible so that you are getting the calories burned for the day.

i try to do *something* every day. even if it''s just a 10 min walk. but for the most part my schedule is on monday, wednesday and thurs (and sometimes sat) i do a kickboxing class for about 40 minutes, 5 minutes warmup, 30 minutes escalating heart rate, and then 5 minute warm down kinda thing. at least 5 days out of 7 i try to do a 1m walk in the morning with portia for about 15min. then on the other days i don''t kbox, i try to get us outside to walk about 2 miles each day, at some point. i have noticed this is really jump starting more changes in my body than just doing the walking or just doing the kboxing. anyway, i try to take fridays off or at least one other day in the week so that i can just relax..though i do the morning walk, for the most part almost every day.
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG Rod you look amazing!!!!! Congratulations, nothing like a picture comparison to really see your success. You TOTALLY look like you are in your early or mid 40''s...nowhere near 52!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 4:36:38 PM
Rod, you''re not making me feel BAD, just giving me a good kick in the pants! Which I need to get my butt in gear!!!!

You''re an inspiration... thank you
19.gif

p.s. I''m with you on the pizza - extra cheese, pepperoni... my god, it''s making me drool just thinking about it!!
I can''t you how many months it''s been since I indulged in a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. Unlike my friend Mara, I can''t eat just two pieces. I''m a charter member of the "Clean Your Plate" club and if there''s pizza left (not if Rod''s at the table) it should all be eaten........So, Rod doesn''t eat Pizza anymore..........
7.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 4:43:33 PM
Author: Mara
OMG Rod you look amazing!!!!! Congratulations, nothing like a picture comparison to really see your success. You TOTALLY look like you are in your early or mid 40's...nowhere near 52!!
Oh thank you so much Mara!!!! Next year, I plan to look like I'm in my 30's (Though that may take some anesthesia and a knife to accomplish!!!!) LOL

And BTW.......the picture of me sitting was actually taken the first week of October, 2005 and I was sitting in one of my employee's hearse, which is her primary mode of transportation. Somewhat fitting for an overweight middle aged man with high cholesterol and high blood pressure to be sitting in a hearse. Maybe it was calling to me. BUT IT ISN"T ANYMORE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results