shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Jewelry. Fine or costume?

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Hello ladies,

I have been thinking about wedding jewelry a lot this week. What are you guys doing? Are you wearing all fine jewelry or have you got some fab costume jewelry? Pictures?

As much as I think a huge fabulous costume necklace would look really striking and amazing......I think I'm going to go for the real deal. I work in a B&M jewelry store and so have acces to a lot of jewelry at near whole sale prices so I may as well stock up on some fab pieces for the day and obviously afterwards as well because I don't know at the moment if I want to stay in the jewelry industry long term.

I have a dia pendant, great little .43ct in a rub over setting which I could wear.Then other than my E-ring theres a few ropes of FW rice pearls which are a lot of fun and then just a coulpe of 9ct bands I wear stacked on my ring hand. What I really want is some great earrings!
I can't decide if I should go for long colored stone and diamond drops of some sort for the impact (but then they obviously wouldn't be everyday wear afterwards), or some little diamond dangles (....I work in a jewelry store so I could wear them everyday pretty easily and they are just a little more dressy than studs) , or pour the money into the best and biggest diamond studs I can afford (which is the most sensible purchase I guess, totally everyday wear, just not quite as glitzy as drops).

The little diamond drops I like are like these from whiteflash http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/martini-drop-diamond-earrings-959.htm, little diamond huggies with dangles, but the ones I like (and tried on all day at work yesterday) have little cluster dangles rather than a single diamond so they are extra sparkly. I really just want to buy then now so I can start wearing them right away. Is that bad? Or should I be "saving them" for the wedding?

I need advice, but would also really like to see what you are wearing or wore on your big day.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I'm curious about this as well! I saw a diamond necklace I fell in love with at my jeweler, but unfortunately it sold last week... ;( I've been wondering whether most people go with costume jewelry or attempt to save up for authentic pieces. There's so much to save up for already! :sick:

And to answer your question IMO: naw, if the jewelery was authentic and wearable every day, I'd wear them before the wedding too! :) But to each her own.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I ordered my earrings and bracelet from etsy and they're CZ, not diamonds. I still spent over $100 on the two, which I felt was more than enough for something I'd probably only wear once. I'm not the flashy jewelry type (I typically wear 1/3 ctw studs with silver hoops in my two ear holes and a simple silver necklace and then my e-ring) so spending all that money on real diamonds just wasn't realistic. We also just put an offer in on a house with a hefty down payment, so we are hanging on to our money right now for that and then the rest of our savings for furnishing the house and any unexpected repairs that may pop up. :)

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
I'll refer to my first wedding and tell you what I did :| ...
- earrings: my plat and diamond emerald-cut studs; received as an engagement gift. Wore them every day prior to wedding and even through my divorce.
- necklace: a GORGEOUS vintage piece of costume (I think paste) rhinestone necklace that matched the bodice of my gown perfectly (took months of web searching and a woman at familyjools.com in canada found it for me). Marriage ended but I still wear it
- no bracelets or rings, other than e-ring and wedding band.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I'm wearing the following:

My very real e-ring.
My grandmother's engagement ring that I reset with a sapphire (in my avatar).
A 10 carat amethyst pear necklace, seen here below the pictures of the bridesmaid rings.
A CZ tennis bracelet from my mom (my something borrowed).
And these Nadri earrings that I got for $25 at TJ Maxx.

So I'm kind of all over the map. I was considering, however, using the Adorn service, where you can rent some pretty awesome-looking diamond pieces. I decided in the end, though, that I wanted to be able to keep my wedding jewelry. And I found pieces I liked at reasonable prices.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also...all over the map... real e-ring, my grandmother's OEC platinum and sapphire ring and a necklace, earrings and bracelet from Nadri... for sure CZ.. but not cheap.. the necklace was $190...the bracelet I think $110... I am certain to get the effect I couldn't afford the real stuff... the earrings weren't too expensive...

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't really have wedding jewelry. I wore my e-ring, my diamond halo earrings (gift from my mom for graduating law school), a pearl necklace I inherited from my grandmother worn as a bracelet (my something old), and a pearl ring from my MOH (my something borrowed).

So nothing was purchased specifically for the wedding.

When deciding on earrings, I think that's the best place to go with costume if you want some dramatic impact! For whatever reason I've generally found costume earrings more pleasing than other costume pieces (particularly big chunky necklaces). However, it also depends on your dress, other jewelry, and how you're wearing your hair whether you think a big statement is the way to go!

I went with a bare neck and an updo, so I probably could have done a splashier earring, but I really wanted to wear my studs since they have sentimental meaning to me. Overall I found the look really delicate and elegant, but I'm biased. ;))

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I went with mostly the real deal -- my e-ring, wedding ring and a diamond bracelet borrowed from my mom -- along with rhinestone and pearl earrings, also borrowed from my mom.

I think either one goes.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything was real except for my earrings, which were vintage chandelier earrings with chunky rhinestones. They matched the rhinestone brooch at the waist of my dress perfectly. I don't think I would buy anything real specifically for the wedding day if you're not sure you'd wear it again.

I wore:

-Engagement ring and wedding band
-5 stone diamond ring that I inherited from my grandmother on my right hand as my something old
-WG and pearl "pearls by the yard" style bracelet that I borrowed from my mom as my something borrowed
-Big vintage rhinestone earrings

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my necklace has already been more or less decided for me, since we have a bit of a family tradition. It's an ornate, frosted glass (I think?) lavaliere pendant that was my grandmothers. My grandmother lent it to my mom on her wedding day, then my aunt wanted to wear it when she got married, then my cousin (same aunt's daughter) wanted to wear it on her wedding day, my cousin's wife (married to the son of the same aunt) asked to wear it when they got married, and now that I'm engaged, it's on its way to me. I don't remember exactly what it looks like, to be honest, but it's quite pretty. Probably not worth very much, but obviously very sentimental.

I'm not sure I'll wear a bracelet, since I never really wear bracelets. For my ears...that's where I want to spend the money! I have two holes in each ear. I desperately want a nice pair of diamond studs for the top hole. I've been eyeing a pair on ID Jewelry for a while, great quality but marked down in price because they are K in color. I don't think I would mind the color. But I still can't really afford them at the moment. I'd like some nice pearl drop earrings from Pearl Paradise for the bottom holes, ideally with small diamonds as well. So that's the dream. I have another [colored] pearl set earmarked for the rehearsal dinner, too. I have no idea if I'll be able to afford any of it, but I'll just sit here and dream....

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have nothing against costume, but on my wedding day, I kind of wanted something I could look on fondly for the rest of my life, and maybe pass down to future generations for the same purpose ... and, I dunno, I just couldn't see that happening with fausse. So I wore a necklace of rich yellow gold, paraiba tourmaline, and rough yellow diamonds, and matching paraiba briolette drops for my "something blue." No regrets!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I wore:

My ering and wedding band.
DH bought me a DBTY bracelet by BGD as a wedding present.
My earrings were handmade for me by a lovely woman that I purchased a bell from to use in the ceremony off eBay. I told her we were using the bell for the wedding and she made me some swarovski crystal drop earrings that just happened to match my dress pretty perfectly. I had never met her or told her I had my ears pierced. She just made them out of the kindness of her heart.

My dress had a lot of sparkles and lace going on so I thought a necklace would be overkill.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Circe, can you point me to a thread with pictures of this? I'm drooling here. I have an illicit love affair with paraiba tourmaline, although it will never be mine, I will always chase after it. And yellow gold? And yellow diamonds? Yes, please!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd love to! My primary computer has some sort of a stupid infection right now, so I can't get to my stash of photos, but as soon as I can get it fixed, I'll throw some up in a jiff. The odd thing is, I could swear I posted at least a few before the ceremony, but now I can't find them. Bah!

ETA: Ha, found it! The current search function is counter-intuitive, but it was handy to be able to just search all my own posts for instances of "paraiba" .... No shots of the earrings, alas, and they're in the safety deposit box, I think, but I'll snap some the next time I get a chance.

In shadow.jpg

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Circe - if this was facebook I'd "like" your last post. That colour is divine!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Circe, that is gorgeous! You weren't kidding about rich yellow gold. It just looks so lush. And that tourmaline just makes me want to dive in. I'm just going to stare at it for a little while longer....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh - thanks, guys! After I hit the bank, I'll start a paraiba thread - I've also got a ring that my folks got me for my 30th b-day that, poor thing, is just SO over-the-top that I've never worn it (paraiba surrounded by lighter copper-bearing tourmaline and alexandrite). It might as well get some online loving if it isn't getting any RL action ....

But to stop thread-jacking and bring things back on-topic, 4Ever, what kind of colored stone drops were you thinking? The WF dangles are delicious! Bet you could customize them to be interchangeable .... :lickout:

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I had a HARD HARD time with the jewelry. I discovered that all pearls looked yellow to me. It was a painful shopping process. I did not want just a string of pearls, I need a bit more.

I ended up finding this vendor on etsy and had her custom make a set for me and now it's available in her shop.

This is the set: http://www.etsy.com/listing/68990708/pearl-bridal-set-swarovski-pearls-white

It looked stunning! I have some pics but I don't know what the rules are for posting pics in this forum. Can their be logos on them or not? So I hesitate to post anything. But really, this jewerly looks nice and elegant and not cheap at all. I was totally happy with it!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
... But to stop thread-jacking and bring things back on-topic, 4Ever, what kind of colored stone drops were you thinking? The WF dangles are delicious! Bet you could customize them to be interchangeable .... :lickout:

I WAS thinking really light soft pear shaped citrines in diamond halos, or maybe very pale soft amethysts. I'm a ginger and thought the pale citrines might be an easy colour to wear for me, and cheap, and the amethyst because our wedding colour is purple *shrugs*. I'm kind of leaning towards doing pearl and diamond drops now. Nice sizable drop shaped pearls with some sort of diamond bail connecting to the studs.

Yesterday I chose my diamonds for the studs at work, 41pts each, H SI2 EX. They are pretty bloody divine and the cut is very very yummy ::) But.......I am thinking I want them in martini settings which I can't find in NZ so I might just have to pay retail and get them from the US. Our jeweller hadn't hurd of them before so I will give him some pictures today and see how much he would charge to handmake them.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
4ever, I cannot wait to see your studs. I'm dreaming of diamond studs for the wedding, but I think the most I could afford is maybe .5 ctw, and even then it would be a major splurge. I shall live vicariously through you. I may print out pictures of your studs after you post them and just tape them to my ears.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
blacksand said:
4ever, I cannot wait to see your studs. I'm dreaming of diamond studs for the wedding, but I think the most I could afford is maybe .5 ctw, and even then it would be a major splurge. I shall live vicariously through you. I may print out pictures of your studs after you post them and just tape them to my ears.

Yes, do it! Print them on nice sparkly paper, they'll look more real.

These are a pretty big splurge for me too. I've been saving since Christmas and can only get some as large as this because I manage a B&M so get the diamonds for the wholesale cost + tax of 15%. YUS! Also going to do some little 0.25ctw for second ear piercing and 0.10ctw for the third because I am very compulsive and a mix of silver with diamond studs would bother me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
4ever|1307687206|2942359 said:
blacksand said:

These are a pretty big splurge for me too. I've been saving since Christmas and can only get some as large as this because I manage a B&M so get the diamonds for the wholesale cost + tax of 15%. YUS! Also going to do some little 0.25ctw for second ear piercing and 0.10ctw for the third because I am very compulsive and a mix of silver with diamond studs would bother me.

Hehehe - I have three piercings per ear, too, and I am a little OCD when it comes to jewelry, too. Right now mine are all WG, but I'm planning to eventually graduate from WG to YG to RG - I'll never have to worry about mixing metals again. :devil:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1307725766|2942628 said:
4ever|1307687206|2942359 said:
blacksand said:

Hehehe - I have three piercings per ear, too, and I am a little OCD when it comes to jewelry, too. Right now mine are all WG, but I'm planning to eventually graduate from WG to YG to RG - I'll never have to worry about mixing metals again. :devil:

WG, YG, RG would kick ass! I like mixed metals but don't suits YG. Boo!

I actually have 4 in the left ear (2 on the lobe, 1 right where the lobe and cartilage meets and one ring up the top in the cartilage) and 2 on the right (lobe) - it was a lot more balanced when I had my right tragus pierced but that never healed properly which is a shame because I would have liked a little diamond sparkly there too. A baloon animal making clown once told me I have beautiful ears :praise:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I was looking for Edwardian-esque jewelry, much like some of the Leslie Greene and Tacori pieces I love. While wandering through Macy's one day, I came across a really perfect (style-wise) sterling silver and Swarovski crystal pendant. It was the right size, the right 'mood', the right length, everything I wanted. And the earrings I bought, also SS/Swar. crystal, echoed the teardrop shape of the pendant. These pieces did not look phony or cheap, as they were well designed.

I could not have afforded the style and size of pendant that was a perfect match for my dress. I got the exact look I wanted, while still having "real" jewelry, since silver is not costume. My wedding pendant is wider than this one by Tacori, but they are very similar

tacori pendant.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I also wore my something blue, which was a pear-shaped aquamarine and diamond ring from my DH. Same shape as the other jewelry. But "real". :bigsmile: It looks very much like this one:

aqua.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results