shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Favors- what to do?

What should I do for wedding favors?

• Customized koozies stating, "To have and to hold and to keep your beer cold"

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Glad I don''t have to choose- show me the answers!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Help me choose my wedding favors! All the following below are about the same price:

Choice 1: Mini cupcakes from our local cupcake shop.
Why I like it- I LOVE cupcakes, I can use a baker local to the area.
Why I don't like it- We are also serving wedding cake. Is it a sweet-tooth overload?

Choice 2: Ground coffee, repackaged into wedding-friendly bags
Why I like it- I LOVE coffee and we can use our local roaster
Why I don't like it- It's a lot of repackaging for me, and are people actually going to brew it?

Choice 3: Personalized wedding Koozies "To have and to hold and to keep your beer cold"
Why I like it- Our beers are covered at the reception
Why I don't like it- What am I going to do with 50 left-over koozies when people forget them?

I'm also open to other suggestions! Thanks!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for the coffee and here''s why: I love cupcakes too. But from what I hear, a lot of people end up leaving favors behind and do you really want a bunch of cupcakes leftover that you might not be able to eat before they go bad?

I''m not a big fan of "things" like candles and koozies. I''m working on de-cluttering my life so I just don''t like getting "stuff" I don''t really need. (This is coming from someone who used to hang on to every McDonald''s happy meal toy for MONTHS as a college student. Why? I have no idea. I think I''m kind of a hoarder.) So when I go to a wedding and they give me something like a tiny picture frame or a koozie, it''s usually something I end up donating to Goodwill at some point down the road.

Coffee is good because even if everyone there doesn''t take it with them, you can keep it and freeze it and use it yourself. You could probably do the same with the cupcakes, but I do think if you''re having cake, you don''t need cupcakes. I''m a big fan of things I can actually use as favors. Do I think those little heart-shaped ice cream scoopers or cookie cutters that you see on theknot.com are cute? Absolutely! Would I ever use it? Probably not.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for coffee. Even though I don't drink it! I think the cupcakes will not likely be eaten immediately and just don't have much of a shelf-life. The beer cozi is a good idea for photos at your reception, but eh...sure wouldn't want to take it home with me. Just falls under the clutter category. Meanwhile coffee...consumable but doesn't need to be done so immediately. Travels well.

ETA: Personal bias should be disclosed, that I'm planning on doing loose tea for my favors.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I like sweet things and don''t drink coffee or beer so I would prefer the cupcakes. Individually packed and colour coordnated to your wedding I think they would be really sweet. You could also use the same kind of flavours as your wedding cake so they kind of get to take some home with them. Also, people don''t take them? Freeze them and enjoy several months worth of yummy cupcakes whenever ou want them!
18.gif

beltane

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the ground coffee idea! And, yes, it is perfect for those guests who forget. You can always use it and nothing goes to waste.

We are doing gourmet sugar cookies shaped like a little wedding cake. Cookies keep a little longer than a cupcake does... so if we do have leftovers, unfortunately I will have no problem eating them! LOL!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I vote cupcakes since I know a lot of people who don''t drink coffee and who would not take a beer holder. We had cookies as part of our favors (which I think is a good comparison) and there were none left behind so it should be a favor everyone makes a point to take.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the coffee. Especially if you do an individual 12-cup pot portion. Even if the people arent'' coffee drinkers, at some point along the way I''m sure they''ll have visitors who are and it will come in handy.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I voted for cupcakes, though I would be equally excited to get coffee. A wedding we went to last year had cupcake favors and wedding cake also, and let me tell you, those cuppies were delicious for breakfast the next day.
31.gif
18.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Coffee! Just have family and friends over, do an assembly line repackaging, you''ll be done in an hour or two. Is there any way the roaster could jsut package for you?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the average age of your guests - and their personalities... and the formality of the event. If NOT black tie --- then the coozies would be fine... depending. A friend of mine married a frat guy - and a LOT of the guest list were frat bros. Like 25 fraters+ dates. And he was a legacy. So dad and friends also former frat-ers. They were a HUGE HIT. But instead of saying that - it said "Brides name & grooms name - the wedding date - and said to have and to hold to keep your bevvie cold" or something like that. It didn''t say "beer" - but it was a HUGE HIT! and one of my friend takes the X&X coozie (he calls it by the bride and groom name) anytime he goes to tailgate parties. AWESOME FAVOR.

But if your style of wedding is different, or more formal, I''d go w/ the coffee.

I''d avoid the cupcake, because it is too much sweets. A piece of chocolate is easily taken with you... but the cake could be left behind. Especially if you are doing a groom''s cake too.

Just a thought.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
These are just my opinions-

Cupcakes- If you are having a cake, then people will not eat them.
Coffee- I don't like coffee and neither DH nor I drink it, but this has "Local Flavor" (from a local place) which makes it a neat idea. I voted for this. Also, eventhough I don't drink coffee, I have guests that do. Everyone keeps coffee in their pantry.
Koozies- Overdone. I have at least 5. FWIW, DH used his favorite Houston Texans koozie all thruout our wedding night. You don't have to give them as favors, in order to use them yourself.

4.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote coffee if it''s whole beans and not ground. I don''t know many people who use ground coffee at home, whole beans taste so much better.

If ground, then I vote cupcakes.

I wouldn''t do the beer Koozies.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you serving beer out of cans at your wedding?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 12:03:36 PM
Author: Haven
I vote coffee if it's whole beans and not ground. I don't know many people who use ground coffee at home, whole beans taste so much better.

I wouldn't do the beer Koozies.
Do all coffee makers work with whole beans? I thought that many had to be ground... I always figured that is why my parents have a coffee grinder right next to their machine.

Haven- Our venue didn't serve cans, but they did serve in the bottles. I'm not sure why, but they don't pour beer for their parties.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had mini-cupcake favors at our wedding and they went over really well! I vote for cuppies!
9.gif

ETA: We also served wedding cake AND tiramisu. Our guests were well fed!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 12:23:00 PM
Author: meresal
I vote coffee if it's whole beans and not ground. I don't know many people who use ground coffee at home, whole beans taste so much better.

I wouldn't do the beer Koozies.
Do all coffee makers work with whole beans? I thought that many had to be ground... I always figured that is why my parents have a coffee grinder right next to their machine.

Haven- Our venue didn't serve cans, but they did serve in the bottles. I'm not sure why, but they don't pour beer for their parties.
Of course they have to be ground first! I was just saying that I don't know anyone who actually buys pre-ground coffee beans, everyone I know buys whole beans, so I'd hate to see Amanda waste all that money on coffee that people wouldn't take home.
We have a small grinder next to our machine, like your parents. My mom has a grinder built into her machine. I think it just depends on the machine.

I've never heard of beer being served out of cans or bottles at a wedding, that's why I asked re: the koozies.

ETA: Whole beans will be much easier to transfer into cute little baggies, too!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 3:13:39 PM

I vote coffee if it''s whole beans and not ground. I don''t know many people who use ground coffee at home, whole beans taste so much better.

Haven- Our venue didn''t serve cans, but they did serve in the bottles. I''m not sure why, but they don''t pour beer for their parties.
Of course they have to be ground first! I was just saying that I don''t know anyone who actually buys pre-ground coffee beans, everyone I know buys whole beans, so I''d hate to see Amanda waste all that money on coffee that people wouldn''t take home.
We have a small grinder next to our machine, like your parents. My mom has a grinder built into her machine. I think it just depends on the machine.

I''ve never heard of beer being served out of cans or bottles at a wedding, that''s why I asked re: the koozies.

I think it depends on the demographic - nobody I know that''s my age (or even near my age) has a coffee grinder! We''re all heathens that buy pre-ground coffee.

Honestly, I''d probably leave all three of these on the table. Except maybe the cupcake - but then, I can''t resist something sweet. Are these the only options, or are they just what you''re working with right now?

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Ha, no one I know buys whole beans. I even own a grinder. It''s just too much work. Bad Seattlite!
38.gif
9.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 3:13:39 PM

Haven- Our venue didn''t serve cans, but they did serve in the bottles. I''m not sure why, but they don''t pour beer for their parties.
Of course they have to be ground first! I was just saying that I don''t know anyone who actually buys pre-ground coffee beans, everyone I know buys whole beans, so I''d hate to see Amanda waste all that money on coffee that people wouldn''t take home.

I''ve never heard of beer being served out of cans or bottles at a wedding, that''s why I asked re: the koozies.

LOL! I''m a true coffee connoisseur! Cant''cha tell?
2.gif

FWIW, my mom was not happy with the beer out of bottles thing. I can understand where she was coming from, but they would not budge. They just don''t do it.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 3:48:04 PM
Author: sunnyd
Ha, no one I know buys whole beans. I even own a grinder. It''s just too much work. Bad Seattlite!
38.gif
9.gif
J only buys whole beans! We use our grinder so often our bird recognizes the noise and sings along with it...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amanda, I think you need to consider what the majority of your guests will appreciate as far as favors. I think the cupcakes might be overkill if you''re also serving cake.

Are many of your guests coffee drinkers? If so, I think the ground coffee idea from a local roaster is great! You may have a lot of out-of-towners staying in hotels who might want to brew your coffee in their hotel rooms the morning after your wedding (thank you, hangover cure favor).

Do a lot of your guests like to drink beer, or do they participate in outdoor activities where coozies are typically a necessary item? I''m sorry, but you can never have too many coozies. I know a lot of people say they want to de-clutter, but coozies are one of those things you offer guests when they come over, or you want to have when you tailgate or camp or go boating, etc.

That said, I voted for coozies. And if I got to choose, I would pick the zip-up style that fits bottles! Those are sometimes hard to come by, I always make sure to grab a couple when I see cute ones!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 4:33:39 PM
Author: monarch64
Amanda, I think you need to consider what the majority of your guests will appreciate as far as favors. I think the cupcakes might be overkill if you''re also serving cake.

Are many of your guests coffee drinkers? If so, I think the ground coffee idea from a local roaster is great! You may have a lot of out-of-towners staying in hotels who might want to brew your coffee in their hotel rooms the morning after your wedding (thank you, hangover cure favor).

Do a lot of your guests like to drink beer, or do they participate in outdoor activities where coozies are typically a necessary item? I''m sorry, but you can never have too many coozies. I know a lot of people say they want to de-clutter, but coozies are one of those things you offer guests when they come over, or you want to have when you tailgate or camp or go boating, etc.

That said, I voted for coozies. And if I got to choose, I would pick the zip-up style that fits bottles! Those are sometimes hard to come by, I always make sure to grab a couple when I see cute ones!
Hahahaha, it''s funny that you say that, because coozies are the first things we throw away! I hate them and never use them. We just got rid of 2 that we''d kept for no good reason and never used.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies, ladies.

I always buy whole beans. I think that they keep fresh longer, but I would probably put ground coffee in the favors (just to make it easier for the guests who may not have a coffee grinder). The local roaster will sell coffee by the pound either with whole beans or ground, so that''s not a problem. I certainly wouldn''t be wasting any money if it got left behind. FI and I would drink it! I can just dump all the extra back into an air-tight container and freeze it.

With the coffee idea brewing (haha), I was also thinking that I could also put some sugar packets and creamer cups in with it and "instructions" for brewing. Also, I really wanted to bake cookies or homemade biscotti as favors, but I just don''t know if I''ll be feeling up to it a few days before the wedding. Although, I have 2 weeks off before, so I may be bored to tears and want to bake. So, cookies or biscotti keep longer than cupcakes (and travel better without icing). They also go well with the coffee, and I like the "personal touch" of being baked by the bride. So, if I end up NOT feeling like baking- at least I''d still have the coffee favor.

With the koozie idea, most of our guests will be aged 23-30. About 40% will be graduating in May. So, it''s a pretty young crowd, and I always see them with koozies at tailgates, get togethers, etc. And yes, my venue will serve out of bottles. We can BYOB, but we aren''t allowed to bring a keg. However, I can request that they pour into glasses. It''ll just make the wait in the bar line longer...

All good suggestions. I may stick with the coffee idea, since I will use the left-overs! I guess whatever I choose, I won''t please everybody!

Another idea I''m toying with is just having a box of matches or a small bag of candy, and then make a donation to a charity as the favor. Perhaps the free medical clinic or something...

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I voted cupcakes because I was thinking a day after treat would be nice!

I think adding a little saying like this would be really cute!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 4:46:09 PM
Author: Amanda.Rx

I always buy whole beans. I think that they keep fresh longer, but I would probably put ground coffee in the favors (just to make it easier for the guests who may not have a coffee grinder). The local roaster will sell coffee by the pound either with whole beans or ground, so that''s not a problem. I certainly wouldn''t be wasting any money if it got left behind. FI and I would drink it! I can just dump all the extra back into an air-tight container and freeze it.

With the coffee idea brewing (haha), I was also thinking that I could also put some sugar packets and creamer cups in with it and ''instructions'' for brewing. Also, I really wanted to bake cookies or homemade biscotti as favors, but I just don''t know if I''ll be feeling up to it a few days before the wedding. Although, I have 2 weeks off before, so I may be bored to tears and want to bake. So, cookies or biscotti keep longer than cupcakes (and travel better without icing). They also go well with the coffee, and I like the ''personal touch'' of being baked by the bride. So, if I end up NOT feeling like baking- at least I''d still have the coffee favor.
I can''t remember if I voted orginally or not but I really like this coffee idea you have posted. The possible added touch of biscotti baked by the bride is even better. Go for it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 4:16:31 PM

LOL! I'm a true coffee connoisseur! Cant'cha tell?
2.gif

FWIW, my mom was not happy with the beer out of bottles thing. I can understand where she was coming from, but they would not budge. They just don't do it.
9.gif

That's so strange about the beer. I bet they lose some business because of that, especially for weddings.

ETA: Homemade biscotti sounds *amazing* with the coffee. If you do that, then the coffee is definitely the way to go!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 4:29:52 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Date: 1/19/2010 3:48:04 PM

Author: sunnyd

38.gif
9.gif

J only buys whole beans! We use our grinder so often our bird recognizes the noise and sings along with it...

I buy whole bean too!!!! But if I was doing coffee as a favor, which is a really good idea and I am considering now, I would do ground beans because I know that most people do no grind their coffee.

BTW- if it wasn''t clear from the above statements, I vote coffee.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s so interesting. I actually don''t know anyone who grind their own coffee beans - almost everyone buys pre-ground coffee!

FWIW, I chose the cupcakes. The make a great treat the next day. With the coffee and koozies, you always run the risk of people who don''t drink coffee/beer. I can''t think of anyone who wouldn''t want to eat a cupcake!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I voted coffee. I''m also considering coffee and I am thinking of making a tag that says "Kyle and CJ, a Perfect Blend" with the date because both Kyle and I are insane coffee addicts.

Cj

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 4:46:09 PM
Author: Amanda.Rx

With the coffee idea brewing (haha), I was also thinking that I could also put some sugar packets and creamer cups in with it and ''instructions'' for brewing. Also, I really wanted to bake cookies or homemade biscotti as favors, but I just don''t know if I''ll be feeling up to it a few days before the wedding. Although, I have 2 weeks off before, so I may be bored to tears and want to bake. So, cookies or biscotti keep longer than cupcakes (and travel better without icing). They also go well with the coffee, and I like the ''personal touch'' of being baked by the bride. So, if I end up NOT feeling like baking- at least I''d still have the coffee favor.

With the koozie idea, most of our guests will be aged 23-30. About 40% will be graduating in May. So, it''s a pretty young crowd, and I always see them with koozies at tailgates, get togethers, etc. And yes, my venue will serve out of bottles. We can BYOB, but we aren''t allowed to bring a keg. However, I can request that they pour into glasses. It''ll just make the wait in the bar line longer...

All good suggestions. I may stick with the coffee idea, since I will use the left-overs! I guess whatever I choose, I won''t please everybody!

Another idea I''m toying with is just having a box of matches or a small bag of candy, and then make a donation to a charity as the favor. Perhaps the free medical clinic or something...
My dad made about half the cookies the month before our wedding and froze them and they still tasted great the day of, I would look into what types of cookies freeze well and then you could always make a few batches at a time in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results