shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding dress for short girls

jetaimeschelker

Rough_Rock
hi there -
I am new here and would look some advice about dresses. I have started looking and would like to ask some advice before I make myself crazy trying on too many things :)

I am 5 ft 2 with skinny legs and a fairly decent chest size - would you say it is safe to eliminate ball gowns? I have tried on a few dresses and so far the one that I liked best was a natural waist with an a line. I tried one ball gown and felt swallowed. I tried on a dropped waist and felt chopped in two.

I don't want to waste time on styles that do not work. Would you say that for a short woman that ball gowns and dropped waists are to be avoided?
so far this is the dress I loved best - I love the flower details - what do you think? be honest :)

_8476.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5'2" isn't that short, lol! Are you going to be wearing heels? I think ball gowns make everyone look shorter since it make the bottom half of you very wide. If you have a thinner body, I think a more fitted bottom would be more flattering on you. Show off your figure!

I don't like drop waists on any body shape :nono: For some reason, it always makes the person's torso look super long, and their legs look super short. It has to be made very well for it look good.. and that includes the shape of the waist, how the fabric flows from the top to the bottom, and how they styled the area.

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
I think we may have similar body shapes and for me I found that fit and flare or modified a-line (narrower through the hips than traditional a-line) worked best to elongate my body and make me look most proportional. Some regular a-lines and sheaths were also flattering. No ballgowns or mermaids. Neckline is also really important.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'm 5'2 and I wore a ball gown. I say go for it!! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think a ball gown looks better on short than tall. I tried one on and looked rediculous (5'10"). My cousin had her wedding yesterday, had a ball gown, looked amazing. She's probabably 5'3" ish.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I think I have a pretty similar body type to you. 5'3'', slim but with a larger chest. I tried on many different styles of gowns and the mermaid style really looked best on my body type and height because it showed off more of my figure rather than swallowing it up. So I would suggest mermaid, trumpet or slightly A-line with a fitted waist. Though I think you can definitely pull off any style...I think what's important for not feeling swallowed by a dress is having a very fitted waist (or add a belt/sash).

ladidalola

Shiny_Rock
I'm 5'3" and I opted for a drop waist gown because of my weird body shape. I have a short torso and having a disproportionate bust to my skinny legs did not go well with a gown with a natural waist :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results