shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Dress Alterations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curious as to how much you ladies spent on alterations after receiving your gowns? If you don''t mind answering, that would help me a bunch!

I have to have mine taken up 4", have a bit of the darts brought down to smooth out the front, have about 2" taken in on top with cups added, and a bustle. Also, my dress is basically a silk-satin trumpet with no crinoline to speak of, so it''s a very minimalist kind of dress.

What do you think is a reasonable price in the way of alterations? What did you have done and were you happy with the results?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I spent $125 on shortening the hem for 2" and a bustle. They had to take off the lace edge and hand stitched it back on after cutting off the hem. I think it would have been cheaper if I look for a local seamtress instead of doing it at David''s Bridal (where I got my dress) but I just took the easy way out. I was happy with the alterations. I am lucky to not need too much done.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve heard of people having to spend upwards of $100, I think that is pretty much normal. I was lucky in that I''m 5''10" and my dresses needed no alterations whatsoever, until the day before the wedding. I had lost about 8 pounds due to being sick the week leading up to the wedding and my mother had to take in the side seams around the bust line for me. Thank God she is a great seamstress and I had spaghetti straps or my dress would''ve fallen down!
emsmileo.gif

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
At David''s Bridal they quoted me $95 to take up a skirt length (because they do it from the waist--I don''t get that!?) and $45 for a bustle. My very talented seamstress said that would be about her charge as well, so I''m going with her b/c I think I''ll get better service and a better looking end-product.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
from the waist: they don''t just tuck in the hem and sew it.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 5:54:59 PM
Author: JulieN
from the waist: they don''t just tuck in the hem and sew it.
If there is details on the bottom of the dress that can''t be removed and reattached, then they have to shorten it at the waist.

Minny

Rough_Rock
My alterations ended up costing me a FORTUNE!!! I''m pretty sure I got scammed into ordering the dress a size (or 2) too large, so I needed a lot to be taken in around the bust, waist, and even hips. They told me they wouldn''t be able to hem the dress once I ordered it b/c it had no waist seam and had lace around the bottom, so I had to pay $125 for them to take a "hollow to hem" measurement and make it in my length. Add $160 for taking the dress in, $45 for a simple bustle, and $80 to make a sash for the waist and hem the inner layer of the dress so the train was sheer lace (granted, these were more like modifications rather than alterations).....and it comes to: OVER 400 DOLLARS!!! That''s nearly as much as the dress cost!
20.gif
Was it worth it?? Probably not -- but I loved my dress and felt completely confident in the seamstress. For reference, I live in Minnesota and bought the wedding dress at The Wedding Shoppe in St. Paul. I had my alterations done by them b/c I heard they were very good (albeit very pricey -- I really didn''t know how pricey until I was in the middle of it).

Here''s a photo of the finished product -- I haven''t posted in a long time!

pricescopefitting.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I'm paying about $100 for a bustle (not a simple one). I know it is on the expensive side, but my bridal shop is on the expensive side, and so is my dress
2.gif

Thankfully everything else fit fine!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I had to hem my dress and take it up in the sleeves.. as well as a bustle... cost me 88$ total (without tax)

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
ZERO! My dress fit me perfectly and I just had my mom add more crinoline to the slip to raise the skirt off the floor. Guess I just got lucky on that one. I have no idea how much alterations cost, but I hear it can get pretty expensive depending on how much you're having done.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies for your input. I was expecting to have to pay nearly $200-$300 for all of the alterations my dress needed. However, I went to a highly recommended seamstress here in Dallas, and so far she''s quoted me $84 for everything I needed done!

Looks like I found the budget for my pearl earrings - and I was looking very, very hard!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job, Lauren! Glad to hear you won''t be drowning in alteration debt and can use your extra moolah to buy some jewelry instead, hee hee!!!
emteeth.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 5:31:30 PM
Author: selflove
At David''s Bridal they quoted me $95 to take up a skirt length (because they do it from the waist--I don''t get that!?) and $45 for a bustle. My very talented seamstress said that would be about her charge as well, so I''m going with her b/c I think I''ll get better service and a better looking end-product.

I don''t know if I''ll need one, but just in case, would you mind shooting over the name of your seamstress? I''ve heard it''s hard to find a good one in L.A!

THANKS!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 11:16:06 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Thank you ladies for your input. I was expecting to have to pay nearly $200-$300 for all of the alterations my dress needed. However, I went to a highly recommended seamstress here in Dallas, and so far she''s quoted me $84 for everything I needed done!

Looks like I found the budget for my pearl earrings - and I was looking very, very hard!
9.gif
That''s an awesome price you got.
36.gif
More money for jewelry.
30.gif

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
I just took my dress in last week, and it was $375 for a French bustle, changing the sleeves, and hem. I may not need the hem afterall, and if that''s the case I get some money back. Yikes!

Slowbride

Rough_Rock
Lauren, great job on your alterations. Which seamstress did you use? I am also searching for a seamstress in the Dallas area.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results