shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Band Woes - Advice for reset or restyle

RunningNut262

Rough_Rock
I’m in need of some ideas and suggestions for what to do about possibly restyling wedding band when I reset my engagement ring. I previously posted a thread for jeweler recommendations last year just before COVID struck because I need to reset my 0.70 carat MRB ER as the shank broke. I want to have an idea of what setting style I want before meeting with a jeweler. My problem is my wedding band. An upgrade of the entire set is coming in the next two years, so eventually my original ER/band will become the “backup” set for travel, etc. Until then, I want to be able to wear both rings, but my wedding band is giving me pause. On one hand, I’m fine with getting a new plain, simple band to go with whatever ER setting I choose, and that will likely be a solitaire or 3 stone. On the other hand, I have days where I feel I should keep the original wedding band (until the entire set is upgraded) and have my current stone reset to accommodate the original band. Here is the problem - I don’t like my band other than the sentiment that is attached to it. In short, it was purchased based on a picture in the jewelers catalog, and what I selected was not what I wanted I just picked a and for the sake of panicking a band. This purchase was made while DH and I were helping his family during 2 health crises for family members 20+ years ago Just two months before our wedding. My brain was focused on other things.

The band is a bit of a beast at 5mm wide - I’m a size 4.5 so on its own the band isn’t too overwhelming. Over the years it did eat away at the 6 prong solitaire setting. I’m hoping to get some ideas about how to restyle my wedding band or some ideas on an ER setting that could work with it. The other problem is that it’s 14K yellow gold. At the time, I was so clueless that I even know about other metals, but we now prefer platinum. I’m not keen on the mixed metal look with such a wide band. The diamonds are 0.3 ctw (roughly 2mm each) and there are ten total, but one is chipped. The band isn’t just wide; I think it’s over 2mm thick. Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice. I feel like a dog chasing it’s tail with this.

36A73254-356A-4AC0-B08B-8AEFC0756930.jpeg 9144A984-11CF-4F20-A829-32586F6600E3.jpeg

wifelife

Rough_Rock
I would probably use the diamonds to reset into a semi eternity band and scrap the gold. A semi eternity band in platinum at about 2-2.5mm wide is likely able to be stacked with anything that you ultimately choose as your upgrade.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep the band as-is to wear on its own or on your right hand or whatever, and then buy a separate band. I don't think it makes much economic sense to rework the existing ring or reuse the diamonds.

RunningNut262

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input =)2 I pretty much knew my best option was to wear the band alone/on the right hand. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t overlooking an ER setting idea that would work with the band. I’d get a spacer, but I have very short fingers and with a 5mm band there isn’t much room to stack.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @distracts (and you apparently =)2), just use it as a RHR. It really looks to be a stand alone wedding band to me. Its too wide
to wear with a solitaire (IMO). Keep it as-is for sentimental reasons and wear as RHR or alone on left hand for those times when you want to minimize the bling.

You might be able to have it rhodium plated if you would rather wear white metals...you'd have to ask your jeweler.

RunningNut262

Rough_Rock
Agree with @distracts (and you apparently =)2), just use it as a RHR. It really looks to be a stand alone wedding band to me. Its too wide
to wear with a solitaire (IMO). Keep it as-is for sentimental reasons and wear as RHR or alone on left hand for those times when you want to minimize the bling.

You might be able to have it rhodium plated if you would rather wear white metals...you'd have to ask your jeweler.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking into rhodium playing the band. I will definitely look into this!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you could have a jeweler reset the diamonds into some kind of stuller setting or similar with 2mm stones ... with the high price of gold the metal of the original band would help pay for the new setting.

1623256025789.png 1623256103732.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results