shape
carat
color
clarity

Wearing jewelry with rosacea?

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. Years ago I was diagnosed with mild rosacea. I don’t utilize medicine to treat it as it typically does not get inflamed (or bother me).

I would really like to be able to wear a necklace, but every time I put one on, my neck and chest get incredibly itchy and red. I tried solid yellow gold and most recently a solid platinum necklace/chain, and it still drives me nuts. I am lucky to get a couple of hours with it on before wanting to rip it off! I was hoping a fellow PSer might have some suggestions to help. Thank you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all! Hopefully this is the right place to post this question. Years ago I was diagnosed with mild rosacea. I don’t utilize medicine to treat it as it typically does not get inflamed (or bother me).

I would really like to be able to wear a necklace, but every time I put one on, my neck and chest get incredibly itchy and red. I tried solid yellow gold and most recently a solid platinum necklace/chain, and it still drives me nuts. I am lucky to get a couple of hours with it on before wanting to rip it off! I was hoping a fellow PSer might have some suggestions to help. Thank you!

My son has pretty bad rosacea..He has to take medicine for it. I’m glad you have a mild case. Maybe your skin wouldn’t react to pearls. If you like them I would try it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Out of curiosity. What size chains did you try? I can't really wear any necklaces that aren't very thin and delicate. I get itchy and rashy on the neck within hours if it's past a certain size :(

niteowlsam

Rough_Rock
@MeowMeow - I love the blue stone in your profile ring. What a fabulous color! As for my platinum pendant, the chain is very fine and the pendant is three small smooth platinum rings.

@MamaBee - I was really hoping to make a diamond pendant, but there’s no point spending the money if I cannot wear it… I only have so many fingers!

I thought maybe someone here would have a magic solution since we are all jewelry lovers!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MeowMeow - I love the blue stone in your profile ring. What a fabulous color! As for my platinum pendant, the chain is very fine and the pendant is three small smooth platinum rings.

@MamaBee - I was really hoping to make a diamond pendant, but there’s no point spending the money if I cannot wear it… I only have so many fingers!

I thought maybe someone here would have a magic solution since we are all jewelry lovers!

I read sterling silver is the least metal to bother sensitive skin. You could use a sterling silver chain..The setting for the diamond could be platinum or white gold. I would get a cheap sturdy sterling silver chain to see if it would bother you. I have a few sterling silver chains that are very sturdy. I dont think anyone would notice the difference in the color between the chain and the diamond pendant.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If even platinum bothers you, then all I can think of is to wear necklines that either have a turtleneck or mock neck, or button-downs with collars and then get a lengthy enough chain that you can wear your pendant on top of your clothing… so sorry you’re dealing with this. I have a bad nickel allergy and have to be pretty careful about what metals I wear so I kinda feel your pain.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I feel for you too. I have sensitive skin, rosacea and a nickel allergy.

I can wear heavy chains that lay flat on my skin, stationary DBTY necklaces and pearls all day.

Fine chains and pendants chafe my neck and trigger a flare-up.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had rosacea all my life.
It comes and goes.

A couple years ago it came but didn't go ... for around a year. :((
My dermatologist prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate, one 20mg pill twice a day. (Generic for Periostat)
I did express concern about being put on an antibiotic permanently.
She said it's safe because the dosage is very low.

It has kept me rosacea-free for 3 years now.
I've had no side effects.

DutchJackie

Rough_Rock
Have you tried titanium? I have eczema and sensitive skin and allergies. I can‘t wear silver or yellow gold. And white gold only in certain alloys. Necklaces really need to be smooth. Irritation comes fastest with warm weather. I most often wear necklaces over clothes if I can.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It comes and goes.

My dermatologist prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate, one 20mg pill twice a day. (Generic for Periostat)

:doh:Opps! I forgot the medical/legal fine print ...

When prescribing this Rx my doctor took into account my medical history and all other Rxs I'm taking.
I am not a doctor, nor am I giving medical advice.
Talk to your own doctor to learn whether this medicine is right for you.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What you describe sounds like a reaction and reaction = allergy/contact dermatitis.

Maybe try to find out if you are allergic to metals and which.

The pearl idea that someone suggested earlier might help you rule out if it's metals or if pretty much anything triggers it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

Oh no :( well there went my idea I guess :( I agree with the person who had the allergy test idea too. I know I have metal sensitivities as well. But once you know what they are maybe it might help you avoid things with them in it?
And thank you! It is quite a pretty blue :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It comes and goes.

I have been on low dose doxy since 2006 actually and it works like a charm (for me). Glad it works well for you too Kenny.
It doesn't interfere with the microbial balance as it is submicrobial and works like an anti-inflammatory.

I will add rosacea can come from gut issues so make sure you are eating foods that don't cause inflammation for your gut and that you treat any gut issues. You might be amazed at how it can clear up once your digestive tract is in tune with the rest of your body.

The only metal that bothers my skin is nickel. I react in an eczematous rash.I get contact dermatitis from so many things. Of course we can develop metal allergies at any time in our lives. It comes down to the individual and through trial and error you will figure out what works for you. My best advice is do not push through a reaction. Just stop wearing what causes the reaction and move on to a different metal. Sterling silver is pretty non reactive for most as is stainless steel. I am sorry you are dealing with this as I know it is frustrating and also know skin reactions are a pain in the you know what. Having dealt with too many skin issues over the years to list I get it. But hang in there and don't wear anything that causes a reaction. It isn't worth it. IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results