shape
carat
color
clarity

Wearing braces as an adult?

retroglam

Rough_Rock
Hi. Has anyone had to wear braces as an adult? I was hoping I could have the Invisalign clear plastic retainer type braces to fix some crowding that's getting worse as I get older. But it turns out that age is not being kind to my teeth/jaws and I will need fixed braces, clear ones on top but metal attachments on the bottom.

I'm quite shy and self-conscious and the thought of wearing double braces at age 42 doesn't fill me with joy, to say the least!

I found a few older threads on this, but nothing that recent and I was hoping that the 'brace experience' had improved over the last few years! So any tips/hints, lifestyle impacts I should be aware of - I'd love to hear them!

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was in my mid thirties when I got Invisalign. I know that you are not a candidate for Invisalign, but in retrospect I wish that I had gone with traditional brace. I think that the end result would have been a bit better. I have one stubborn tooth that was hard to move, and seems to be reverting back to its original position. Braces have come a long way, and many brackets are much smaller then they used to be.

I have a friend who was in her 40s when she got her traditional metal braces. She didn't let it bother her self esteem at all. Just remember, braces are temporary, but the end result is pretty much permanent. You will love the end result! Good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had traditional braces at 28; clear on top, metal on bottom. That was several years ago and I'd do it again at my age now! I actually have a client who is an oral surgeon--he is in his early 60s and just got lower, traditional braces. I think braces on adults are kind of adorable. No acne, no awkwardness, and usually a lot more self-confidence than when you're a teenager.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I've had braces for 16 months now (with probably about 10 months to go) and I'll be turning 32 in a couple of weeks! I have clear brackets on top and metal on bottom. Before getting them put on I was really anxious about it and afraid I'd be self-conscious, but after I got them I found that I didn't care. Everyone - family, friends, coworkers - has been supportive and tell me they look cute, and I'm very happy with my progress so far.

DH also got braces a month after I did, so we've been doing it together. He'll get his off way before me, though, as this is his second time in braces so there's less work to do.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH got braces a few months after we got married (he was 32). Best money ever. We saved his teeth down the line. My DH is now 53 and has a beautiful smile but more than that, he has SOLID teeth and gums, very healthy, and he will never need dentures or have health issues that periodontal disease brings.

His brother did nothing about his teeth when he had the chance as an adult---now he has full dentures at 50---his jaw is remodeling itself now that the natural teeth are gone, his face looks completely different (old) and his gums are a disaster.

Get the braces. When I see an adult with braces, I think "There is someone with the brains to rectify what their parents couldn't/wouldn't, WAY TO GO!"

retroglam

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the positive replies everyone. They're exactly the confidence boosts I needed to hear! I'll try to focus on the longer term benefits and try not to stress about my self-confidence issues. Maybe I'll channel the worries into a positive and get back into exercising regularly to boost my confidence in other ways, so everything evens out!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH got braces a few months after we got married (he was 32). Best money ever. We saved his teeth down the line. My DH is now 53 and has a beautiful smile but more than that, he has SOLID teeth and gums, very healthy, and he will never need dentures or have health issues that periodontal disease brings.

His brother did nothing about his teeth when he had the chance as an adult---now he has full dentures at 50---his jaw is remodeling itself now that the natural teeth are gone, his face looks completely different (old) and his gums are a disaster.

Get the braces. When I see an adult with braces, I think "There is someone with the brains to rectify what their parents couldn't/wouldn't, WAY TO GO!"

Yes! I think I spent $15k out of pocket (even with insurance) and that is NOTHING in terms of ROI. To hear my new dentist say "omg your teeth are Pristine! Flawless!" alone is worth every penny. I always took good care of my teeth but getting some structural issues taken care of has surely increased the health and longevity of my smile.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I currently have Invisalign. I find it a pain. I have to take them out to eat or drink anything other than water. Then I have to floss and brush before putting them back on - no excuses when I'm home lol. Sometimes I get lazy and go oh I'll be eating a real meal in an hour so I might as well not put them back on now. Yeah I'm not so consistent lol.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto, my retainers are basically Invisalign/the final version. I really should have requested the permanent retainer for my top teeth because I have not been diligent about wearing them and my upper teeth have shifted. I'm ready to either get Invisalign now or I would even seriously consider another course of traditional braces. I am ridiculously obsessed with teeth. I may have missed my calling as an orthodontist or something.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had braces in the early 80s and while they did straighten alot of my teeth, the end result is not what I expected - my teeth lean inward on the uppers and lowers. I plan to do Invisalign next year utilizing money from a medical flexible spending account to fix that issue. I'm told it will take about nine months with two weeks for each insert. I did my research and was also considering conventional braces and noticed how far along they have come, with clear or ceramic brackets for the uppers. Also, they are significantly smaller than mine were. Go for it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would not hesitate to get braces if I needed them and I'm in my 40's. I had them as a kid and am happy that I did. There is a teacher at my daughter's high school that has them and to me it says that she is trying to improve herself. I have seen a lot of adults with braces and it just shows they care about themselves. I say go for it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am probably going to have to get braces. I have TMJ and after several years of not going to my doctor for it (bad me!) my teeth became... I don't know how to explain it but there is a gap when I close my teeth, the right side closes down all the way but the left side does not. It has closed up a lot since I went back to the TMJ doctor but there is half a millimeter that is being stubborn. Supposedly it is only aesthetic and doesn't affect the functioning of anything since my teeth are otherwise in line and my back teeth are connecting properly, and it's only noticeable if i'm trying to look at it but... you know... it worries me anyway.

I hated having braces when I was a kid but reading about other adults that have had them makes it less scary. I also hadn't ever seen clear brackets before - I googled them and they look acceptable. Hopefully if I get them I wouldn't have to have them too long since my teeth are otherwise fine (I have a permanent retainer on the bottom and have had tooth grinding/tmj issues forever so I've always worn a heavy duty fitted mouthguard/retainer and I can't fall asleep without it in because I can feel the tooth grinding and the tension headache building) and it's just this one thing that needs fixing.

Maybe we should have a PS braces club.

retroglam

Rough_Rock
*Maybe we should have a PS braces club.*[/QUOTE said:
I have the feeling that a PS braces club could easily spiral into melee-encrusted brace attachments! Now that would be one sparkling smile!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum, did you stop wearing your retainer? My orthodontist has always said retain for life.

Retroglam, go for it! I had invisalign in my late twenties. I preferred it to traditional braces but it's not without downsides. I had a lisp at first and taking new sets in and out is painful.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Puppmom, I do wear my retainer nightly, with the exception of a few sporadic sick nights (maybe 9 nights over the course of three years).

However, the tooth that is shifting back caused my treatment to be extended several months. It's a stubborn tooth. It started shifting back pretty quickly after my treatment was complete. That being said, my smile looks better than it used to. Also, im still using the original retainer. I'm not sure, but I think that maybe it's time to have a new one made. I've heard that over time they need to be replaced.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum, that's frustrating! I only asked because my gag reflex was terrible when I was pregnant with my last so I didn't wear my retainer for almost 6 months. Even though it had been 10 years since completing treatment, a gap started to develop between my two front teeth! I went to the orthodontist and he just said, "I told you to retain for life!"

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wore them in my 40s, teeth are straight - wore traditional braces. I felt sort of lame as most of the people who were there getting their braces tightened etc were about 10-18 :) but I did go to my kid's orthodontist also.. go for it!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did, but as a young adult. I had braces when I was a child, but never wore the retainers so they all shifted back. I got braces again at 20 or so, and paid myself out of pocket, so I got permanent retainers installed so they don't shift again.

DH's teeth have all shifted back to normal post-braces, so we are also looking into invisilign for him.

1-2 years is not a big deal in the real of your life, so if you think decades of prettier teeth is worth it, go for it! and who cares what others think.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had braces for 16 months now (with probably about 10 months to go) and I'll be turning 32 in a couple of weeks! I have clear brackets on top and metal on bottom. Before getting them put on I was really anxious about it and afraid I'd be self-conscious, but after I got them I found that I didn't care. Everyone - family, friends, coworkers - has been supportive and tell me they look cute, and I'm very happy with my progress so far.

DH also got braces a month after I did, so we've been doing it together. He'll get his off way before me, though, as this is his second time in braces so there's less work to do.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can!

I concur. SS is hella cute with her braces.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Platinum, that's frustrating! I only asked because my gag reflex was terrible when I was pregnant with my last so I didn't wear my retainer for almost 6 months. Even though it had been 10 years since completing treatment, a gap started to develop between my two front teeth! I went to the orthodontist and he just said, "I told you to retain for life!"
Ugh! I guess your orthodontist has never been pregnant, and sounds like a jerk. It's kind of crazy that our teeth can shift back so quickly after 10 years. I would have never guessed, and would have probably done the same as you, thinking it would be fine. I know what you mean about that gag reflex during pregnancy... there were times I took my retainer out during the middle of the night because I couldn't stand it being in my mouth anymore, when I was pregnant.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in my 60's and used Invisalign recently. Very happy with the results. I think it's been about 6 months since I graduated to the retainer. I had 33 trays initially, so about 2 years of wear.
First weeks of use was not happy because they were uncomfortable, then I got used to them and the routine, so no problem after that. I must wear the retainer for the rest of my life. Sometime I wear at night, sometimes in the daytime, as long as I get my 8-9 hours in.
BTW, my dog ate a set of trays and then half of the retainer set. Dogs love invisalign so much that I was warned ahead of time by the tech to be careful LOL

whoops! I just read that you are getting traditional braces. I was self conscious at first, but after a while got over that and it was all worth it. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results