color
clarity

We men are important!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When a man volunteers to do the BBQ:

The woman buys the food.
The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes dessert.
The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand watching the game on his iPad.

Here comes the important part:
THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.
The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat smells great.
He grunts, and tells her to bring another beer while he flips the meat over.

Second important part:
THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces, and brings everything to the table.
After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

And most important of all:
Everyone praises the MAN and thanks HIM for his cooking efforts.
The man asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off", and upon seeing her annoyed reaction concludes that there's just no pleasing some women.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, that's pretty much how it goes in my house with all the prep/clean up work...but my DH would NEVER, and I repeat NEVER
have the nerve to ask me how I enjoyed my night off from cooking! I would have to slap him silly if he did! He realizes he is
just cooking the meat and there is so much more to it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right? So true! Men do the least little thing and they think they invented it. :D

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Pah, real men prepare their signature rubs / marinades, carefully select and prepare their own meat, and let the women get on with creating some lovely sides. ;-) :D

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333 said:
Yep, that's pretty much how it goes in my house with all the prep/clean up work...but my DH would NEVER, and I repeat NEVER
have the nerve to ask me how I enjoyed my night off from cooking! I would have to slap him silly if he did! He realizes he is
just cooking the meat and there is so much more to it.

That's how it goes in our house too... Except my DH usually eats so much that he has to "lie down for a second" after the meal. Then, when I'm washing the last dish he wanders into the kitchen, feigning that he wants to help: "let me finish the dishes... Oh is that the last one?". I think he's got the whole routine down to a science.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've read this before but it always makes me laugh!

At my house I do the cooking and washing up every night and I usually BBQ at least 2 nights a week. The wife and I have a good deal; I do the cooking, shopping and any garden work (terribly I might add lol) each week. She does the clothes washing and interior housework. We reckon it's a sweet deal, her friends want to know where they can find another guy like me and my friends buy me aprons for xmas :lol:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1442867415|3930313 said:
I've read this before but it always makes me laugh!

At my house I do the cooking and washing up every night and I usually BBQ at least 2 nights a week. The wife and I have a good deal; I do the cooking, shopping and any garden work (terribly I might add lol) each week. She does the clothes washing and interior housework. We reckon it's a sweet deal, her friends want to know where they can find another guy like me and my friends buy me aprons for xmas :lol:

My DH and I have a similar arrangement and I'm a very happy wife with very jealous friends! He cooks, does dishes and takes care of the yard. He's an awesome cook and he even cooks bacon on the grill. I shop, wash clothes and pick up the dog poo before he mows. We have a lady that cleans once a week and we both scramble around like loons picking up our messes before she comes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In our house I do the woman's AND the man's job. :knockout:

He eats. :angryfire:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Same here lot of cases. We started getting those subscription food boxes so he can learn to cook more things, and understand where I am coming from when I tell him certain dishes take WAY more effort to prepare then he thinks! I went to culinary school for a few semesters, and now he likes to "tell me"how to cook/seer things based on the recipe though. He takes it little to literally sometimes. BUT I am proud for how he is learning to cook more, and the appreciation he has for the actual work involved with each meal!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I do both jobs. My DH mixes the drinks or pours the wine :saint: It took me a few years to really learn how to correctly grill a steak but now I do a darned good job at it!

Burgers are iffy for me, its hard to tell when the burger is medium.

Anyone know how to tell?

I seem to get raw or overcooked too many times.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
You could get a meat thermometer for the burgers, around 140 Fahrenheit for medium. It works well to put burgers on when the coals are hot and glowing, flipping frequently, should be ready in 3 mins or so depending on thickness.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This woman grills.

I hate the stereotype that grilling is for men. Why???

I love workin the BBQ!

My husband and I work together when it comes to ANY kind of cooking. You should see him with a turkey on Thanksgiving morning! *Swoon*

:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1443024092|3930875 said:
This woman grills.

IMO, that's the point of this quote.
It pokes fun at the stereotype.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like my house! lol

I tell my husband I married him so I have someone to kill the spiders. (2 this week)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1443035863|3930964 said:
This woman grills.

I get it.

I was expressing my opinion about the stereotype in general.

I really do have friends who have husbands that NEVER lift a finger in the kitchen, but consider themselves "masters of the grill." They're not even all that good at grilling! Hand the long handled spatula over Pal! You have failed...at many things!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is equal. He loves to do the prepping, as do I. We take turns grilling. Works for us!!!

I am always doing the setting of the table etc...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1443112273|3931303 said:
This woman grills.

I get it.

I really do have friends who have husbands that NEVER lift a finger in the kitchen, but consider themselves "masters of the grill." They're not even all that good at grilling! Hand the long handled spatula over Pal! You have failed...at many things!

We often stay at my SO's parents house.
They are second-generation Mexican-American.
Even on major holidays when there are 20 people crammed in the house the men do ZZZZEEEERRRROOOO.
My SO' brother always grills the meat or deep-frys the turkey.

The men give me sh!t because I help out in the kitchen.
That's chick-work, they say.
You're giving them ideas. :angryfire:

I used to just dismiss their point as wrong and sexist. (though I'd never actually say that to them)
Recently I'm reconsidering.
It's their culture and I'm not their teacher so maybe I should just sit on my @ss and watch the game with the men.

What do you think?
Serious question.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's interesting Kenny, I see similar with the Greek-Australian side of my family. Sometimes the men will look after a spit roast but that's only occasionally; usually the women cook and chat while the men drink beer and chat. It's not perpetuating a stereotype but rather just our family's tradition and there's no disagreement about it.

I don't subscribe to that at my house and basically do everything from A-Z for a BBQ at my place as I'm a little pedantic on how I cook/marinade and what I serve with it etc. Must have been my many years running venues with restaurants :roll:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1443118733|3931371 said:
House Cat|1443112273|3931303 said:
This woman grills.

I get it.

We often stay at my SO's parents house.
They are second-generation Mexican-American.
Even on major holidays when there are 20 people crammed in the house the men do ZZZZEEEERRRROOOO.
My SO' brother always grills the meat or deep-frys the turkey.

The men give me sh!t because I help out in the kitchen.
That's chick-work, they say.
You're giving them ideas. :angryfire:

I used to just dismiss their point as wrong and sexist. (though I'd never actually say that to them)
Recently I'm reconsidering.
It's their culture and I'm not their teacher so maybe I should just sit on my @ss and watch the game with the men.

What do you think?
Serious question.
Serious Answer:

If you are helping the ladies to teach the men a lesson, sit and watch the game.

If you are helping the ladies because it is what you do, it is a part of your character, and you garner pleasure from helping them out, then be yourself.

I know that I worded that in a very biased way...but I have done a lot of dishes in my time.. ha! My husband helps out a lot, my dad and brother on the other hand, not so much!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't do it to teach a lesson, and I certainly don't tell the guys, "Hey, get off your butts and help out. You're not being fair."
I help because it just seems like the right thing to do.
I help out because it's a lot of work, and my MIL has carpel tunnel from working all her life as a cook.

But now that you have me looking inside and examining my motivations I admit that I hope that modeling this behavior will rub off.
I don't think I can classify my motivations as 100% in one camp or the other.
It's not so black and white.

Only recently have I considered that helping may be disrespectful to their culture or family style.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results