shape
carat
color
clarity

We can''t find it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snipe47

Rough_Rock
is there some method that works when you are trying to find a diamond that fell from its setting into your yard? besides pure luck?...... thanks for your help

In lieu of finding the stone, since "needle in a haystack" comes to mind rather quickly, I've got an appraisal from 1977 that would need to be translated into todays terminology. It goes as follows: "marguis cut diamond of extremely fine quality and color and weiging app. 60 points or 5/8 carat".

The jeweler was a friend of the family at the time, but i don't think he's in business now.

I guess i need to know what the next step in this process should be.

Thanks again for all your help and ideas.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Snipe!
wavey.gif

I know how you feel! Lost my 1st wedding band that way.

Sadly
15.gif
, retracing your steps and scouring on hands and knees is the only way I know of. Hopefully it's a larger stone that will catch sunlight. Maybe you find it that way.

Good Luck!
1.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Ahh crap!
errrr.gif
If the are you think it might be in is of a reasonable size, I'd rip up all the grass looking! When looking for something like that you have to be methodical and careful search the area in a pattern so that the entire area is searched and you don't waste time researching the same area. I know how frustrating it is to not know where something is at like that, I'm wishing you luck!

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Try with a strong flashlight 1/2 hour before sundown! Might get lucky with a reflection.

Or alternatively get the neighbour's (or your own) kids and show the a picture and tell them they will get icecream.... kids will spend a whole weekend looking and probably find it ....

Good luck!!!
FC
wavey.gif

Spyder

Rough_Rock
If the diamond were still in the setting, you could sweep the yard with a metal detector to detect the metal band. But if the diamond is loose this will not work.

Maybe you could train a dog to find it. Certain birds hunt for shiny objects, but birds are harder to work with.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Let us know how the search fairs!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Final Cut's idea is the best and the quickest, although I'd recommend a twilight search.

I've located several "fallen" diamonds with this method-
If you're in a room, turn off all the lights and sweep the floors with a powerful spotlight. The diamond will "wink" at you.

Same technique works outside. Just divide the yard up in grids, and do a grid by grid search. If it's there, it will wink at you (unless it's buried).

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Get a bunch of kids stomping around on it though and it gets harder to find!
sick.gif

snipe47

Rough_Rock
If the weather holds and the sun ever comes out and stays, we'll give it another look. Right now, everything looks the same. We've not invited everyone on this hunt yet, to keep the traffic down and hopefully keep the stone on the surface. We're only missing the stone and some prongs, so there is very little metal to detect.
I'll let you all know how this shakes out w/ the insurance company and a jeweler in the next few days.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sun helps but I agree with the darkness and spotlight method. Sunlight tends to glint off alot of things, but diamonds in low light..definitely visible.

Spyder

Rough_Rock
If the prongs are still attached to the diamond, then a metal detector may still work.

If all else fails you could contact a local metal detector club and invite them over for an expedition.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results