shape
carat
color
clarity

We bought the ring and aah! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessmo2

Rough_Rock
I''ll preface by saying that I know there are a lot of women here in the same or similar boats, and that there is no "magic" thing anyone can say to make waiting easier, but I''d love to hear everyone''s stories!
1.gif

So, my bf and I have been together a little over two years (I am 27 and he is 29). We''ve been living together for a year and a half, and own a condo together. When we bought our condo last August, I told him that before we signed the paperwork, I wanted to know that we would be getting engaged within the next year. He said yes, saying that he had planned all along to propose by this summer (07). Then, six months went by with no proposal, and I started getting antsy. Recently, though, he told me that he had been ring shopping and talking to some of his guy friends about where they went for their wives'' rings! He was, however, completely opposed to me shopping with him to pick out the ring, though I had emailed him a few that I liked.

Then, last week, he found out a friend of his took his gf ring shopping, and she picked out her own ring. Next thing I knew, he was taking me ring shopping, and yesterday, we bought a ring! I absolutely love it, and I think while we were shopping he realized that I picked out something completely different from what he would have picked, so he is happy we did it together.
9.gif
But, now it needs to be ordered and the stone needs to be mounted, and the jeweler said it would take 3 weeks!
6.gif
And guess what? We are going on a weekend trip together in *exactly* three weeks, and I had thought maybe he''d ask me then, but I know he won''t do it without the ring! He''s having a great old time being "mysterious" about when it will happen, and is all excited about doing a special proposal.

He even told his best friend that we bought the ring, and told me that his friend was giving him ideas for how to propose. But... he teased that he knew I was wondering when it would happen, so he told me that it would most likely not be until June! In fact, he "ranked" the months until August, saying June was #1, July was #2, April was #3, August was #4, and May was #5. Why the weird order? "Well, we''re very busy in May," he says. Aagh!
20.gif

This is supposed to be the easy part, right?? Knowing that it''s going to happen for sure within the next few months?? Sorry for such a long post, but needed to get that out!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally excruciating. I am sitting here right now with my FMIL making wedding plans...and I still don''t have a ring.

Mine is being set this week and I was told that it will be ready at the end of this week by our jeweler! But of course my BF is having a grand old time telling me that it will be 7 weeks, not 1, that it''s coming from New York by horse and mule, that "october would be a really great month for me to propose", etc. I really hope that he decides that instead THIS weekend would be a fantastic time...but who knows he is having a ton of fun teasing me about it. This is way worse than before I knew the ring was on it''s way!!!

Hang in there!!!

princessmo2

Rough_Rock
Ha! Horse and mule... Sounds exactly like something my bf would say.
20.gif

May your waiting be short and painless (from now on)!
1.gif

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend has the ring already and I''m waiting for the proposal as well, but I''m certainly not as antsy as most people here. I think it''s just because I know an engagement won''t be a huge change in anything--I''ll just have some pretty bling for my finger. I''m also holding off on any wedding plans until after my brother''s wedding--mainly because I want to compare his ceremony to my sister''s (very small as opposed to very big) and see which idea I like more. So, take a deep breath and just enjoy the moment! Love is love, right?

Neatfreak: I LOVE your boyfriend''s joke about the horse and mule. That cracked me up. My boyfriend just says I''ll be the first to know when he proposes.
20.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 11:16:13 PM
Author: princessmo2
20.gif

1.gif

Hehe I won''t tell him that you all like it or else he might try and come up with more clever things to make me wait!

I hope everyone''s stay is short and sweet, but if you''ve bought the ring I bet he won''t be able to hold onto it for as long as he thinks!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 11:52:48 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 3/31/2007 11:16:13 PM

20.gif

1.gif

Hehe I won''t tell him that you all like it or else he might try and come up with more clever things to make me wait!

I hope everyone''s stay is short and sweet, but if you''ve bought the ring I bet he won''t be able to hold onto it for as long as he thinks!

I agree with this! My boyfriend proposed about 3.5 hours after he picked up my ring from the fedex station!
1.gif
I don''t think he''ll be able to wait...but if he does, I hope your waiting isn''t too painful!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing2of2...I sure hope my BF is as impatient as yours!!! There is a possibility of it arriving at the end of this week...so we''ll see!!!

princessmo2

Rough_Rock
I am hoping mine hasn''t suddenly developed patience... We have ended up opening one Christmas gift early the past two years, because once he has my gifts, he''s jumping out of his skin to give them to me!
1.gif

I honestly believe (though I''m afraid to hope *too* hard) that once he has the ring in his hot little hands, there''s no way he''ll wait 2 months to give it to me. So, here''s hoping it''s ready in less than 3 weeks so he can bring it on our trip April 20?
1.gif

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the same boat as the rest of you and it is killing me! My ring should be done in the next week or so and my bf keeps saying that I won''t be getting it until June! First, I think that he is just trying to keep me on my toes for when it will happen and second, I don''t think that he will be able to hold on to it for that long without giving it to me! I am so antsy right now to have it on my finger. I hope that it is not too long for the rest of you!
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 12:21:26 AM
I am hoping mine hasn''t suddenly developed patience... We have ended up opening one Christmas gift early the past two years, because once he has my gifts, he''s jumping out of his skin to give them to me!
1.gif

I honestly believe (though I''m afraid to hope *too* hard) that once he has the ring in his hot little hands, there''s no way he''ll wait 2 months to give it to me. So, here''s hoping it''s ready in less than 3 weeks so he can bring it on our trip April 20?
1.gif

Hahaha...this sounds like my boyfriend! He bought me an iPod for Christmas this past year and gave it to me in NOVEMBER because he was so excited! I was like "You have other presents for me, right? Because Christmas is a month away and I want to be able to open some presents!"

I hope all three of you get your rings soon! And I really think it will be impossible for them to hold out that long, unless they have some type of trip planned or something. They better not be able to hold out if they know what''s good for them!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend and I have placed our order for my engagement ring and I know it only takes about 2 weeks or so to have it made. I KNOW my boyfriend won''t propose so soon after, but he''s being very mysterious. All I know is that it will happen sometime within the year (I have summer in my head for some reason but who knows). I''ll be the third to know, actually, because he knows he needs to talk to my parents first -- just as a formality. It''s hard waiting but I''m sure he wants to plan something special, so I''m not asking too many questions.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain. Not sure if it is better or worse now that I know he actually has the ring. It took about a month, and I''ve posted a couple of times before about how I started getting both worried and impatient! I agree it won''t change much except that I''ll have some bling -- we probably won''t start planning a wedding in earnest until after we buy a house (looking now) and move (mid-summer). But I''m still pretty impatient! I had a bad dream last night about him giving it to me during a business meeting (we don''t work together, but in the dream we did) and just sort of handing it to me, and it wasn''t even a diamond, just a flattened-looking metal band, not at all what we designed! I guess I was worried about it because I figured out that he''d picked it up yesterday, and he kept saying that his morning was crappy but didn''t want to tell me about it (and he tells me about everything!). Finally he caved and told me the problem was with the insurance company (now resolved), and the ring ("if he had it") was fine. Phew! Now just waiting for the proposal....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 1:47:40 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
I feel your pain. Not sure if it is better or worse now that I know he actually has the ring. It took about a month, and I''ve posted a couple of times before about how I started getting both worried and impatient! I agree it won''t change much except that I''ll have some bling -- we probably won''t start planning a wedding in earnest until after we buy a house (looking now) and move (mid-summer). But I''m still pretty impatient! I had a bad dream last night about him giving it to me during a business meeting (we don''t work together, but in the dream we did) and just sort of handing it to me, and it wasn''t even a diamond, just a flattened-looking metal band, not at all what we designed! I guess I was worried about it because I figured out that he''d picked it up yesterday, and he kept saying that his morning was crappy but didn''t want to tell me about it (and he tells me about everything!). Finally he caved and told me the problem was with the insurance company (now resolved), and the ring (''if he had it'') was fine. Phew! Now just waiting for the proposal....

It''s way worse once it''s bought! At least for me...

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
neatfreak, I think I agree. Now that he has it, I''m worried about what I should do if I think there''s something wrong with it. I''ve moved on from all the what-ifs about something going wrong with the stone while it was being set to the what-ifs of whether it will look the way I hoped or whether the inclusion will suddenly be visible (having nightmares about a prong pointing right at the inclusion...) and if so, how do you handle that without ruining the proposal? My poor FF has tried so hard, and I know the custom setting wasn''t cheap -- now I''m wishing I went with a stock setting instead so I knew exactly what to expect -- I just hope my expectations aren''t too high...

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
I certainly hope all this angst isn''t contagious! Perhaps I should stop reading posts like this. Good thing I''ve got my senior thesis to keep me occupied...
34.gif

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
You girls are scaring me! Until about a month ago, I was firmly trenched in my safety land of "we can''t get married yet...we need to finish grad school first...we need some savings...I want to have jobs so we can afford a house...". This absolutely tortured my bf, who wanted me in his camp of "nothing else matters, I just want to marry you ASAP". I''m definitely the more practical one.
3.gif
Wellll, he played a dirty trick on me. He took me to Tiffany''s to try on rings in late Feb, and, in the process, created a monster. All practical defenses destroyed, my heart has full control now and all I can think about is getting engaged and the wedding.

I know he wants to surprise me, and I DO want to be surprised, but what I really really want to know is WHEN. I teased that it''d be 3 years, and he defiantly said no way. I bumped it down to 2, and got another "nope". I didn''t dare go farther, because like I said I know he wants to surprise me.

So, if it''s this bad now, when all I know is that it''s probably within the year, how crazy am I going to go if I find out the ring is almost here???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results