shape
carat
color
clarity

Waterford Crystal close

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that''s horrible!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t imagine Waterford closing for good. I guess it might make my set of Waterford crystal more valuable, though.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Never would have thought they would close. Wow...things are just getting worse and worse
7.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 2:37:11 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I can''t imagine Waterford closing for good. I guess it might make my set of Waterford crystal more valuable, though.
I am with you on this. I love my Waterford and always assumed I could replace my stemware if something was broken
39.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah it''s so sad! I love visiting the factory in Waterford-they do a great tour there. Looks like the staff are getting ready for a sit in all night now.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
How sad is that?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heartbreaking! For the workers, for Ireland, and for the rest of the world that loves the crystal. I have a biscuit barrel and a honey pot.... If I''d had more money and SPACE, I''d have loved to have had a set of the Maeve goblets.
39.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounded like someone was trying to get investors together to buy it. Hopefully that will work out.

Marian, if they do close, we''d better buy a few extra pieces while they are still available.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very sad indeed. I heard this last week, and was like wow...

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
There will continue to be unimaginable fallout from the economy. It's very sad that companies such as Waterford are affected. Maybe the employees can negotiate a leveraged buyout, but if the debt is unmanageable, I don't see how it would be a viable option in the long term.

It just goes to show how much of our global community relies on credit to function. I don't think it's healthy. I agree that it is necessary to get a company off the ground and to assist in it's early stages of growth, but it is ultimately as destructive as if a citizen builds their life with a heavy load of debt.

I am so grateful that I am currently employed with a private company that will be wholly owned by it's employees over the next 8-10 years and that we have no debt. We are strictly a cash flow company. Although that doesn't guarantee it's survival, it sure gives the company a lot more protection from the current crisis. Because we also deal primarily in food and private label specifically, we actually are doing better in this economic crisis. I really hope that we our country, and the world, can solve this situation so that we can start rebuilding soon. It's heartbreaking to see so many people losing their jobs, homes, savings, etc.
39.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The workers are still staging their sit in. I hope that they manage to save the company.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Me too! It would be so tragic to see it go.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 2:31:43 PM
Author: bee*
The workers are still staging their sit in. I hope that they manage to save the company.

Me too! For two reasons: 1. I don''t want to see anyone lose their jobs that always sucks! 2. I love Waterford stuff and it would be so sad!
7.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
no further news yet but I''ll fill you in as soon as there''s more!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 5:54:50 AM
Please do Bee. We have a Waterford chandelier and I would be so upset if part of it got broken and we couldn''t replace it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 5:56:11 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 2/6/2009 5:54:50 AM

Please do Bee. We have a Waterford chandelier and I would be so upset if part of it got broken and we couldn''t replace it.

Will do! I love the Waterford items too. They''re so beautiful!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
The only good thing about this is the the amount of local support which has been shown.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
There''s an important meeting taking place tonight in Waterford Crystal. Hopefully there''ll be some good news from that. Meanwhile, retired workers have been volunteering to man the shop floor! Will post an update on the meeting when I hear one.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 7:47:51 PM
It sounded like someone was trying to get investors together to buy it. Hopefully that will work out.

Marian, if they do close, we''d better buy a few extra pieces while they are still available.
I agree with you! I would just never think that Waterford, of all companies, could be on the brink of closing.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Just came across this! Woo hoo! Anybody know anything more? I saw a headline in a newspaper today saying something about jobs being safe...but it was somebody elses newspaper and I was peeping.

Jobs safe as Waterford Wedgwood is sold

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update- I hadn''t seen anything else!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
That is so sad! Waterford is such a classic. I wonder who bought them.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Oh I hope it''s not closing! That would be really great!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 3:00:13 PM
Author: Porridge
Just came across this! Woo hoo! Anybody know anything more? I saw a headline in a newspaper today saying something about jobs being safe...but it was somebody elses newspaper and I was peeping.

Jobs safe as Waterford Wedgwood is sold
That is good news! Thanks for posting!

I was just thinking, though. People are so casual these days, that I wonder if many brides even bother with formal crystal. I have all that stuff (china, crystal, sterling flatware) and I really never use it. So if the demand is down for expensive formal crystal, I can imagine that it has hurt the company.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 7:30:51 PM

That is good news! Thanks for posting!

I was just thinking, though. People are so casual these days, that I wonder if many brides even bother with formal crystal. I have all that stuff (china, crystal, sterling flatware) and I really never use it. So if the demand is down for expensive formal crystal, I can imagine that it has hurt the company.
Good point, I don''t know...it''s definitely popular here in Ireland. I got a ton of it as engagement presents, and I definitely think of it for giving presents. It''s been around so long and it such a household name, maybe it''ll last.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results