shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch Poll!

Should I get the watch? IF so, where?

• 1a) Buy it from your local guy! It's better to know exactly what you're getting.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 2) Keep looking! You should look into X, to be discussed in the comments.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • 1) Get the watch! Great symbolism! Cool design!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 1b) Shop online and have cash left over!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The quest for a watch for a baby gift continues, and I think I've found a serious contender: the Cartier Roadster W62048V3. It's a limited edition (apparently - anybody know a good resource for researching watches?), it's an automatic, it's got a nifty brilliant blue face.

What I'm wondering is:

a) Whadda y'all think, does it look good on me? Coupled with, will I like this more than a ladies watch or a more conventional bracelet or suchlike - I really love the idea of getting something to mark kiddo's birth that I can pass on to him eventually, but finding the right men's watch that looks good on my wrist is proving to be surprisingly challenging.

and, a subsidiary question ...

b) how much is a reliable vendor worth to you? The place I found the watch at has been around forever. I actually got my ears pierced there when I was 9. I think of them as being reputable and trustworthy ... but they've got the watch listed as having a "retail value" of 10K, with them selling it second-hand for 6.5K. But, of course, the second I got home I started researching, and found this: http://www.frameoftime.com/Items/cartier-roadster-mens-w62048v3?sck=10506877&caSKU=cartier-roadster-mens-w62048v3&caTitle=Cartier%20Men%27s%20Roadster%20Limited%20Edition%20Blue%20Dial%20Stainless%20Steel%20Watch%20W62048V3.... So I'm both suddenly doubting them a little (unless the info on the random website is wrong - is there a way to find this out? does Cartier have price lists for their limited edition pieces? some random watch aficionado site?), and wondering, on the off chance something goes wrong in the two years its under warranty, is it worth 1.5K to to me to buy from somebody close to home? I mean, that's a nice chunk of change ....

So, let's see if I can do a two-part poll!

Potential Watch.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don't love it on you. But at the same time, I think I need to see a pic at a bit of a distance to get a better idea of scale rather than close up. I do like the watch and I love the idea behind it and the thought that you could pass it on to your son at some point in his life.

A reliable vendor is worth a bit to me until I figure out I can get a way better deal elsewhere. I suppose it depends on how much "attention" this will need over time. If it's something that needs to be fussed with from time to time, maybe the reliable vendor is worth it. Or maybe find a vendor that will just help you care for it and make the purchase wherever you can get the best deal.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I also have a Cartier watch as my baby gift! My kids' names and birthdates are engraved on the back.

Personally, I agree with AprilBaby's opinion...

Also, if you want something to pass down to your son, is there a possibility that your DH could also get a commemorative item that he could then pass down? My watch, since it's a woman's watch, is going to my daughter. My son will get DH's "father's ring," which is basically a plain wedding ring with both kids' names and birthstones inside (purchased from BGD).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I love Cartier watches, I do think that looks more like a man's watch, and I would be afraid that the trend of women wearing the large size watches will go by the wayside. So I'd recommend a more mid-size Cartier women's watch, honestly.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Cartier makes so many lovely women's watches! The one in the photo does look a bit large on you. Do you want to buy from a second-hand vendor or are you open to buying in a Cartier boutique. I'd recommend the latter as you'll be able to try on many of them and make a selection. In fact, you could go to Cartier, try on watches and then go on a quest to find it from a vendor you know (if you like the idea of a quest). :naughty:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been shopping for a watch for six months now.. and because I want a nice one.. I am having a very hard time picking it out. I had an Omega DeVille I wore for year I sold. I wanted something a little more chunkier. I had been considering the Cartier Ballon Bleu and then I saw the Choppard Happy with the Floating diamonds.. now I am hooked... I just need to get somewhere where I can see it in person.. it's lovely and I think it meets all my criteria including be different... and a not super thin and trendy but also somewhat classic... I am looking at the one with five floating diamonds and just a plain bezel. :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks big because it's being worn so close to your hand? It doesn't look that huge to me, but of course I'd be looking at automatics and they are just bigger to begin with.

I prefered to buy my watch from an authorized dealer. I just called around a little and negotiated pricing. It was more reasonable than gray market online. I like having the proper box and papers for my watch!

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
I can tell you for sure, that exact watch was 6-7K MSRP (I cant remember the exact price)and I am not sure what this jeweler is trying to pull, especially since you can easily confirm/deny the price of a current style watch. I actually tried that exact watch on in the Cartier Store in Orlando (by they way, they were awesome there). I loved the face and I loved the fact it was limited edition (dont we all) but decided to wait as for that price, there were other watches on my wish list. This was in August, but I would assume they still have the watch (the Saks in San Antonio actually has this watch also) and I could give you their info if you really wanted to contact them to purchase the watch directly from their retail store as they are charging retail for a used piece. If I remember correctly, it also came with an additional leather band. It is definitely a big watch (even on me and I am a big guy) and there are smaller versions of the same watch but if you love big, then you love big. I just bought my wife a 44mm mens watch and she loves it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You need to be SO careful about online watch dealers, there are fake Cartiers all over ebay.

I would poke around in the watch forums. Just like PSers, those guys know where to get the good stuff for less money. They will know a reliable source for genuine used watches. I know of Portero, Fashionphile and Yoogis Closet. They do mostly purses, but they sometimes have watches. But I bet the forum guys know a lot more sources.

Spend about a month poking around on watch forums, and I'll bet you have a long list of possibilities. I did that with a purse and a purse forum and saved a ton by buying a preloved Vuitton. :appl:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a nice watch but it looks pretty big, at least to me. I wish I had other suggestions for you but I don't know much about watches. I hope you get something you love, Circe!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Circe,

I love all your posts and can say from the heart - get the Cartier watch... if you have extra budget. You will never regret it, give you joy every single day - and will look amazing with your new stone. Not too crazy about the one posted in this thread, but you previously mentioned the Tank Louis or was it Tank Americaine would a classic...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1319042116|3043537 said:
b) how much is a reliable vendor worth to you? The place I found the watch at has been around forever. I actually got my ears pierced there when I was 9. I think of them as being reputable and trustworthy ... but they've got the watch listed as having a "retail value" of 10K, with them selling it second-hand for 6.5K. But, of course, the second I got home I started researching, and found this: http://www.frameoftime.com/Items/cartier-roadster-mens-w62048v3?sck=10506877&caSKU=cartier-roadster-mens-w62048v3&caTitle=Cartier%20Men%27s%20Roadster%20Limited%20Edition%20Blue%20Dial%20Stainless%20Steel%20Watch%20W62048V3....... So I'm both suddenly doubting them a little (unless the info on the random website is wrong - is there a way to find this out? does Cartier have price lists for their limited edition pieces? some random watch aficionado site?), and wondering, on the off chance something goes wrong in the two years its under warranty, is it worth 1.5K to to me to buy from somebody close to home? I mean, that's a nice chunk of change ....

So, let's see if I can do a two-part poll!
$10K???.. :confused: a NIB retails for $5300 and you should able to buy it for a 20% discount.i would check my local Costco first to see if they have one in stock.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I'm wondering is:

a) Whadda y'all think, does it look good on me?

Nope.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love that blue dial! I'm not sure about the idea of buying a man's watch so you can pass it on. I think you should buy jewelry you love and then when you're gone, they can decide what to do with your jewelry.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1319066914|3043805 said:
What I'm wondering is:

a) Whadda y'all think, does it look good on me?

Nope.

Heheheheh - well, that's succinct and to the point!

A lot of excellent reactions and food for thought here - will respond in more detail tomorrow, as I am BRAIN DEAD after spending the day helping a friend clean house. But I think the above sort of sums it up - that and the fact that the seller is apparently massively inflating the price! I know jewelry values well, but when it comes to watches, I'm just a little lamb lost in the woods. Thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow before I threw away good money!

P.S. - What really burns my britches? I asked if the guy would hold the watch for me until I could bring my husband by on, oh, Friday to get his opinion, and the guy said "Sure! Just leave me a small deposit, $40 or so." And I did, and he gave me a receipt, and all was well until I read the responses here ... and looked at my receipt ... and saw that it was listed as a nonrefundable deposit. Argh. Am hoping he will either acknowledge the error in pricing and adjust accordingly, return my money, or allow me to apply it to something that hasn't been jacked up into the stratosphere, or there's my idiot-tax for the year ....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what, Circe? After reading your last paragraph, I wouldn't buy that watch (or anything else) from him if it was the last one in the northern hemisphere!

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
In my desire to give the retailer the benefit of the doubt, I keep trying to figure out where he came up with this "retail value". MSRP for a watch is like a car, it is NOT dependent on the retailer or on area affects. It is the MSRP, which of course items can sell above or below this but most watches you get for a certain price below MSRP, depending on lots of variables (and some brands, like Cartier, are harder to get sig discounts) but regardless, shouldn't be more than the retail price, much more some fabricated amount. Interestingly, some brands lists their "retail value" at some ridiculous price but yet the true value being significantly less but when you buy that 2k dollar watch for 400 dollars, it makes you feel like you got such a great deal when in fact you got a 400 dollar watch for 400 dollars. The retail value (whether the manufacturer inflates it or not) is always an accessible number so I never know what retailers are thinking when they try to tell you something sells for more than what the true retail value is. So in my attempt at a defense is the roadster comes in a chronograph version, which does in fact sell for >10k but I do not think that version comes in the blue dial version, which seems harder to get confused but maybe that is where they went wrong? Obviously that isn't the case, if this is preowned watch (as I assume it is since you said second hand), they had to know the value when they bought it, unless of course they were taken to the cleaners and now are trying to do that in return to you. It is just sad that people practice like this, but after reading the various postings here (to include one in RT right now) we know this happens all too often. I recently had such a negative experience at Tourneau (highest retailer of luxury watches) because of outward LYING that I not only wrote the corporate office but also the offices of several of the luxury watch brands they carry. I guess instead of "paying it forward" the world instead practices "crap on people backwards". It is discouraging. Good luck on getting the 40 bucks back, I think you deserve it because of their obvious deceptive practices and i am sorry you are going through this. I am done venting now. :twirl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319050725|3043630 said:
As much as I love Cartier watches, I do think that looks more like a man's watch, and I would be afraid that the trend of women wearing the large size watches will go by the wayside. So I'd recommend a more mid-size Cartier women's watch, honestly.

Even the trend for big watches for men might not last forever. People forget that the standardized sizes for mens watches start at 34 mm.

Circe, I'd recommend getting a watch like this from an authorized dealer if you get it new or from someone who can prove that they did if you get it used. The thing is if it needs to be serviced for a warranty repair (and it happens quite a bit) you'll have to rely on the company service center or authorized technicians if they have any. The warranty wouldn't be valid unless it was bought from an authorized dealer and the retailer doesn't have much to do with it.

I think iLander is right. I would spend some time at the watch forums before buying any brand like this to make sure it's what you want from the particular brand and in general. You can find people who have watches like this and resell them at a good price like DF just did at these forums too.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amd now, with a little more detail ....

April, thanks for your honest opinion! All other issues aside, I'm wavering on the aesthetics a little, because while I generally like the look of a big, clunky watch on a delicate wrist, at the moment I'm blown up like a blowfish and nervous that it just looks ... excessive. Will try to take a better shot (at a better dealer). And possibly in contrast to a slim watch, if I can find one - from pics, the lady's watch I love the most is the Tonneau.

Danny - you're an angel. :halo:

Logan - that's exactly what I want to do, with the engraving! I would love, love, to get my husband a "fathers gift" of some sort ... the only problem is that he's The Pickiest Man in the World. He is the reason he can't have nice things: he refuses to wear any watch that isn't digital (and square or rectangular), which sharply limits fashion choices: the closest we came to finding a fancy watch he'd deign to wear was the Rado, but the lack of a digital function sank it. He won't wear additional rings, since he's got his wedding ring on one hand and his engineering ring on the other: while he'll occasionally don cuff-links or a tie-pin, he'll lose them with greater frequency, which makes me wary of sinking a ton of dough or sentimentality into them. The only things he loves are tech (which is why I'll be starting a thread soon on "best video-recorders").

Diamond-Seeker - good point. I can always buy the kid his own watch when the time comes, after all. I guess I've just sort of mentally seized on the notion that the baby gift thing is okay when you pass it on to the baby, maybe more open for judgment when it's just for me. Might have to work on that ....

Tanzigrrl - good point! Something in me cringes quietly at the thought of paying retail, but in a field where I'm apparently tabula rasa, it might make sense to go straight to the horse's mouth ....

Mayk - it's harder than it looks, right? In some ways, it's harder than picking a diamond ring! At the end of the day, you can always have a ring custom-designed to match the image in your head. With a watch, you have to find the exact right thing already being manufactured out there. Oy!

TravelingGal - I think being close to my hand makes my hand look fatter, but the watch actually sort of is that big. I don't mind the size, necessarily: I would mind if it just looked bad, though. I, too, want the "reputable" second-hand dealer, and this guy does have papers, etc., which is why I felt comfortable with him and even with the notion of a reasonable mark-up. The "charging retail for second-hand," not so much. But if I do decide to go with this model, I'm definitely going to go through official channels, whether it's an authorized dealer or a legitimate reseller like Tourneau.

TimMD - this information is GOLD. I wasn't sure if the info on the watch sites was maybe out-of-date, or if they were reputable, but hearing it directly from another consumer? Yeah, that I trust. If you do have info for the two stores (though I'm assuming each city will only have one, and I should be able to track them down), I would LOVE it. (But only if it's on-hand and convenient!) BTW, do you have any pics of your wife's watch? I'm trying to find shots of women wearing big watches, and how they look on them, but apparently this trend isn't as commonly documented as one might like - it's all ladies wearing big lady-watches, not flaunting the menswear!

iLander - I know! It's one reason I'm trying to stick to dealers I know! I tried Tourneau in NY, but they didn't have anything I liked ... so I tried this guy. Am hoping it's all just a misunderstanding - but I would NOT eBay something like this. Given my level of expertise, it'd be like sending a toddler onto 47th St. I hadn't thought of the big luxury resellers, though - I will have to poke around on their sites!

Zoe - thanks, hon!

Garden Gloves - aw, thank you! I definitely want to take my time and find the right thing for this. The funny thing is, I tried on the Tank Francais, which has always been my favorite in pictures - and it looked dreadful on me! The Tank Americaine had promise, though, if I go with a lady's watch, and I love the images I've seen of the Tonneau line ....

DF - you're a national treasure, d00d. Thanks! I don't know if there's a CostCo around - they carry luxury watches? for serious? - but I will definitely check!

Canuk-Gal - I love you. :love:

Hera - that's a very good point. I usually get what I like and to hell with the consequences ... I think I've been infected with this insidious notion that mommies should be selfless! If I can find a man's model that looks good on me, I do like the symbolism ... but if they look dreadful, there'd be an equal and opposite poor symbolism there. Will keep looking (and get better snaps of this model, if I can).

DS - heheheheh! I am hoping it's just an error - this place has been around forever and they have an excellent reputation. If not ... :knockout:

Tim - I totally did that the first time I tried to buy a fancy watch, for my 29th birthday! I wound up with a really dreadful Lucien Picard. I don't know when I felt worse - realizing I'd fallen for a line, or when the "gold" started to wear off! Research tells me there were two releases for this watch - first one numbered, second no. Maybe if this is one of the numbered ones, that drives the price up ...? But even if that's the case, that's not really a factor worth several thousand to me (and if it were, you'd think the dealer could have explained it). Am sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Tourneau - I've actually been browsing with them! What happened, if you don't mind my asking? I always thought of them as being about as reputable as it got on the resale market. Certainly, they charge like it!

Danny - good advice as always - thank you! I think the watch forums intimidate me a trifle, because there doesn't seem to be a "newbie-friendly" vibe like there is here. But if the alternative is getting fleeced, off I go to ask some questions.

Again ... thanks, all! You definitely keep my feet on the ground. Will keep you updated if anything changes ....

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
Circe, you are in fact correct, there are two releases of this watch, although they looked pretty much the same (I have only see the prior version in the pictures you posted). They have different model numbers and searching with the EXACT model you listed, I can find that watch EVERYWHERE with a retail value listed at 6095 (from sites that area reputable grey market). They model I saw is the new release and unless I am crazy, it was in fact numbered (they are limited to only 800 pieces). Again, I actually tried this watch on and I loved it (for myself) and the Cartier store in Orlando were probably the NICEST I have ever encountered in a luxury watch store, especially because most assume I can't afford a Cartier. Just this week (I am off of work) me and my wife were in Saks Fifth Avenue and I was looking at the watches as my wife did her thing and a lady came up to me talking to me like I didn't realize what I was looking at and using big watch terms like I wouldn't recognize what she was saying (specific watch movements) or to impress me and I just chuckled and told her I love Cartier but there are watches I would prefer to have for the money and then she started quizzing me. It was pretty comical, especially since I spend 6-8 hours a day when I am off (2 weeks at a time) reading about watches. Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Here is the link for the watch I tried on, from the cartier site so gets no more accurate than that information. http://www.cartier.us/#/show-me/timepieces/w6206012-roadster-watch-extra-large-model?tab=2 The woman who helped me was INCREDIBLE and her contact information is below (this is the store in Orlando) but told me if I wanted the watch or anything else, to email or call her and she would send it to me.

Maritza Magalde
407-248-9886
[email protected]

Tourneau has a GREAT selection and gives you the opportunity to a lot of GREAT watches from some great manufacturers but the people that work there are just pompous ------I will leave out the other descriptor. Worse, is they talk a great game but really have little to no idea what they are talking about (at least at the Torneau in San Antonio). They often talk down to you (i used to go 1-2 times a week and spend at least an hour in there), especially in the beginning when I started going in. And I would like to think I am a decent customer, I bought 6+ watches in less than a year from Tourneu. In the end, they are just SALESMEN and I should remember that I guess but I don't like when they lie and two salesmen at the one in San Antonio flat out LIED about several watches and if you read reviews online, this seems to be quite a normal thing. Outside the fact that they offer a great selection, there is little to no great reviews about anything else with them. The reply from the corporate office to my concerns over the misconception and the fact I wasn't given manuals or original boxes on 2k dollar watches was completely ridiculous and I have since decided to cut ties. I have been to 5-7 different Tourneau locations and have found this to be mostly universal. I was in Denver for the summer and many times went into one of their luxury watch stores (Hyde Park) and I quickly learned this is NOT universal with luxury watch stores and maybe it is just a mindset with Tourneau because Hyde Park was phenomenal (despite the fact I didn't buy anything in my weekly visits over the summer) and they selection was even better. Great watch store if you are in the Denver area and was willing to work on prices on watches. I actually go to the luxury watch stores in most cities I visit and find Tourneau consistently is in a league of their own (a leauge I think no one else would want to be in. Just my two cents on Tourneau and my experiences with them. Obviously since they are in fact on of the largest retailers in the US of luxury watches, these aren't universal feelings but they are shared by a good number of people if you look through watch forums or read reviews.

I will try to track my wife down to get her to take some pictures with her watch on. It is just a fashion watch (MIchael Kors) as I can't get my wife into the fine watch craze I am in (probably good for our finances) but it can at least show more images of the look of these oversized watches on other ladies. Hopefully all that info helps, sorry to write so much.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1319123940|3044170 said:
DF - you're a national treasure, d00d. Thanks! I don't know if there's a CostCo around - they carry luxury watches? for serious? - but I will definitely check!
our local Costco carry a few Cartier watches,they carry different models in different stores or you can check their website to see what they have available online.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the retail issue goes, I bought a $5k+ Ebel watch earlier this year at a fine jewelry store that was having a sale. To make a long story short, the retail price on my watch was incorrect. I think the tag was from another watch. When I got home and looked at online prices, I could see that my price didn't make any sense, because at the jewelry store, the mother of pearl was like $1000 more than the plain face. But I wanted the MOP and went ahead and paid for it. Then I went and looked in the book that came with the watch, and right there were the MSRP's of all the watch models!!! And sure enough, my watch was several hundred less. I think mine had the tag of the one with the double row of diamonds instead of the single row. Anyway, I called the jeweler and they double checked and said that I was right and they would refund the difference. It was a totally honest mistake but an example of how it pays to know your prices!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thats funny! :bigsmile:

Incidentally Cartier has come out with a new style watch--with a price point to match. When I was looking for a grad present earlier this year, I tried them on and liked it! Larger face, same styling one associates with Cartier. New, might be less than the Roadster you were considering....I posted the info in TG watch thread in jewellery some time ago. Might be worth a look and try.
Tank Solo and Ronde Solo.

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1319167863|3044626 said:

Thats funny! :bigsmile:

Incidentally Cartier has come out with a new style watch--with a price point to match. When I was looking for a grad present earlier this year, I tried them on and liked it! Larger face, same styling one associates with Cartier. New, might be less than the Roadster you were considering....I posted the info in TG watch thread in jewellery some time ago. Might be worth a look and try.
Tank Solo and Ronde Solo.

cheers--Sharon

They are nice...I checked them out when I went watch shopping. However if automatic matters, I think they are quartz?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ask over at Timezone.com. They're a watch forum that I used to be part of before I got my Rolex many years ago. They have a ladies watch forum.

BTW, I like Cartier watches and think that one is quite pretty. Get what you like.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm super late to the party but I saw a guy on the subway wearing this watch with a white face and I thought of you! I loved it! It looked awesome on him and I think it would look great on a woman. It didn't look as big as the one you have on, though, and he had pretty slim arms. Are there different sizes? Or is it just the picture?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results