shape
carat
color
clarity

Washer recommendation

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So after 18 years, my GE washer finally gave out. The part costs 45 dollars and my hubby is diagnosing it, noit guaranteed its a fix. So I'm in the market for a new one and would love recommendations.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maytag Wringer Washer

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speed Queen top loader. Old school, simple to use, made to last. Replaced the #1 rated front loader (LG) after the third service call and only five years.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have an old school GE one. We bought it 2 years ago and it was advertised as commercial. Found it at Lowes and it was less than all of the fancy front loading ones

We had a front loader in a rental and it would get smelly and full of mould. It also didn't clean clothes well (I worked in a materials lab and the spinning didn't remove the small dirt particles from clothing). Our house came with an LG front loader that would clog and shut itself off all of the time.

Old school is so much bette

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
chemgirl|1453984116|3982909 said:
I have an old school GE one. We bought it 2 years ago and it was advertised as commercial. Found it at Lowes and it was less than all of the fancy front loading ones

We had a front loader in a rental and it would get smelly and full of mould. It also didn't clean clothes well (I worked in a materials lab and the spinning didn't remove the small dirt particles from clothing). Our house came with an LG front loader that would clog and shut itself off all of the time.

this.
I would fix the old one if the transmission is ok.
You could fix it and still be using it for another 5 years or buy a new one for $800 and still be buying another in 5 years.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a specific model to recommend, but do consider the tub depth if you go with a top loader. We have a top loader that came with the house and I was initially thrilled at how much it can wash in one load, but it is so deep that I've actually started keeping a pair of kitchen tongs in my laundry room. My husband makes fun, but it's really the only way I can reach all the socks and little items that get stuck to the bottom of the tub.

Q

Queenie60

I have a Fisher & Paykel Eco Smart. My first one lasted for 15 years, no repairs. This is my second Fisher & Paykel washing machine. My dryer is hanging on after 18 years - also a Fisher & Paykel. Due to my good luck, this would be my recommendation. Hope you find what works best for you. :wavey:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I second the Maytag suggestion. Not sure if they still make those? But I had Maytags that washed VERY well for about 15 years, before my SIL gave us their energy-saving LG washer and dryer combo when they moved to Europe. When I received the LG's I gave my Maytags away to a friend, and regretted it immediately. The laundry did not come out as clean, and the dryer was not as efficient!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We got a Samsung top loader, and I really like it. The capacity on it is huge.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Samsung front loader and also love it.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1453994737|3982999 said:
I don't have a specific model to recommend, but do consider the tub depth if you go with a top loader. We have a top loader that came with the house and I was initially thrilled at how much it can wash in one load, but it is so deep that I've actually started keeping a pair of kitchen tongs in my laundry room. My husband makes fun, but it's really the only way I can reach all the socks and little items that get stuck to the bottom of the tub.
This made me giggle, blingbunny! I'm a smidge over 5'1", and I'm always on tip toe, bending over the washer to fetch things out of the bottom of the washer. lololol. I think the tongs are an AWESOME idea! HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA! :appl: :appl: :appl: :lol: :lol: :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Miele.

cheers--Sharon

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your input. After reading a few posts which encouraged me to replace the part, I asked hubby to try that approach first. Luckily the part was in stock and my washer is running beautifully again! I will keep these recommendations in mind for the future!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1453984116|3982909 said:

THIS THIS THIS! I hate my LG front load washer. I'm not fond of my LG steam dryer either. At first breakdown on the washer its outta my house.l

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Maytag top loader that uses the He soap. It works fabulous.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I replaced a 16 yr old top loader that I loved a year ago with a HE front loader. The main differences I discovered:

Old top loader - Does a better job of removing pet hair because all that water "lifts" it off. Cheaper to repair because fewer electronics. Didn't require any repairs in the 16 yrs I had it.

Front loader - Does a better job of removing stains and odors. Has a sanitize cycle that greatly reduces allergens, which I love for pet bedding. Because it doesn't do as good of a job removing pet hair I got a machine that has an extra rinse cycle, while this helps it still isn't as good as the old machine. More maintenance than old machine as you are supposed to clean with affresh tabs (I never cleaned my old machine) and there is a trap that needs to be emptied every few months (this is supposed to do a better job of preventing clogs than the old machines, wasn't an issue for me as I don't have kids that leave small toys in their pockets). I haven't had a problem with mold or odors, but I leave the door ajar when not in use. Can do a much larger load because the agitator isn't there. Spins more water out so drying time is reduced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results