shape
carat
color
clarity

Was this a good buy? 1 ct F VS2

realazy

Rough_Rock
I just purchased this diamond on JamesAllen after reviewing countless topics and looked at the 360 degree view many times.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-210165

I was concerned with the "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" comment and in the superzoom I can spot small clouds but none that seem to be dispersed. I can spot around 6 clouds. The 360 view looks completely clear compared to other F VS2 diamonds on JA.

The diamond is a 1.4 on the HCA.

I'm hoping I don't have to utilize their return policy if it shows up hazy/cloudy.

The price was really good so I was willing to take a risk and use the return policy if I have to. I haven't received the ring yet.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a tad deep...the angles look pretty good though. As a VS2 the clouds should not be an issue but like you said, you have the
return policy to fall back on. I dont see any clouds in it myself (but I have old eyes :shock: ).

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks nice on the video. Remember, in real life, it's only about the diameter of a pencil eraser.

Let us know what you think of it when you get it. Very exciting!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like tyty said, it is a bit deep. But it is still a carat. It still hits that 6.40mm mark.
Reasonable price.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ran the HCA tool and it scored a 1.4 Excellent within TIC range, with Excellent for Light Return/Fire/Scintillation and Very Good for Spread; and it fell within the white borders of the AGS 0 candidates. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

I also ran the AGA Cut Class Tool and it scored a 1B total score, with 1A in all categories excepting 2B for Crown Angle and 1B for Pavilion Depth and Depth. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/AGA_NAJA_Cut_Class_Grader

Likely this diamond will be a strong performer, but do carefully inspect it in all lighting environments to confirm it pleases your eye and that the "clarity grade based on clouds not shown" does not present an issue for you.

realazy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input. I wanted to stay within a certain price range and this seemed to fit the bill, it was the cheapest out of the ones I looked at that fit most of the criteria.

I'm excited for the ring to arrive. I hope my soon to be fiance will love it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would love to see some pictures when you get it!!

realazy

Rough_Rock
So the ring arrived and since it's winter here, I opened the ring when it was already dark outside. I cannot say how disappointed I was looking at the diamond in my condo with LED lighting (those led replacement bulbs that look like normal incandescent bulbs). In my living room/open kitchen, I have track spot lights that have LED bulbs that help show show the fire. The other light is an ikea floor lamp with 4 LED (60W equiv.) bulbs in a paper shade that is more of a diffused light column with no particular direction. There are no ceiling lights in the living room.

The diamond just seems to be dim, for the lack of a better description, and takes on a yellow gray tone if the spot lights are off. I think the color tone is from the yellowish (2700k bulbs) and the gray walls and cream color cabinets I have. The diamond looks white and reflective if I face it towards the lamp, but if it's facing the ceiling, it's rather bland. I also notice the contrast pattern quite easily when I am looking down on it. I think part of it is head obstruction and lack of ceiling lights.

The diamond seems to look good in natural daylight and at the mall with more lights in the ceiling. It looks great in jewelry stores. We walked into a Tiffany on purpose and the diamond sparkled just as much as the ones in the display case.

I've never really had an opportunity to see diamonds in normal indoor house lighting (nor did I care when I did see them before), so I'm wondering if this is normal? I guess in my mind diamonds were supposed to be bright white and sparkly all the time and I was expecting to see fire in normal 60-100W light bulb lighing at home.

Do household 60-100W equivalent LED light bulbs show diamonds poorly? Is there supposed to be any fire under these conditions?

I'm having a friend bring over her diamond to check it under the lighting, and I have a coworker's wife that has a Whiteflash ACA that he will bring into the office tomorrow for me to compare in office fluorescent lighting.

I'll update once I do those two comparisons.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately diamonds cannot sparkle impressively in all lighting environments and fire is particularly weakest in diffuse lighting.

Now your main concern is, is it your diamond that is poor performer, or is your expectation unrealistic?

I think you are very wise in comparing to other diamonds and particularly the ACA stone, so you can see how the best cut diamond will look like. Remember that if your friend has not cleaned the ACA stone it may perform far worse than it should; and if it is a significantly different size, the apparent sparkle may be different as well. Even a quick polish can make the world of difference.

What separates super ideals from your standard cuts is how bright they can appear in light starved scenarios. All fires will sparkle given the right lighting environment, which is why jewellery store appearance can be deceptive to help consumers make the best choice.

realazy

Rough_Rock
Well the first comparison was just completed and I have concluded that the diamond I bought is milky ever so slightly. :angryfire: :sick: ;( :(sad :blackeye:

I'll still compare it to the ACA tomorrow but the results will probably be the same.

I started an inquiry with JA to help me find a suitable replacement, but maybe you guys can help too? I should've came here before I impulsively bought the first diamond! Now I know better!

Criteria:
Best 1+ carat round on JA (as I'm only exchanging the diamond)
H+ in color
eye clean
Maximum $7500 usd for the diamond (cheaper the better of course!)

realazy

Rough_Rock
Another update to document my journey.

$6730 (True Hearts)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2076372
$6020
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2112923
$5950
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-2110481

I requested these three for idealscopes and inspections. I specifically asked for comments on transparency.

All three have a cloud listed in the 3rd or 4th clarity key. Both the G's have surface graining not shown. I was disappointed that the 1.00 G Si1 has surface graining that you can see in the magnified video on the table facet, but everything else looks superb so I put it in the list. The 1.01 G has some surface graining visible but it's on the pavillion and much less visible.

The H VS2 also seems promising but it's the deepest of the 3 at 62.4%, but it also has AGS 000 which is nice. The G's are both 34.5°/40.8° which is smack in the middle for super ideal.

Hopefully the inspection will show at least of these is worth my money.

Any comments? Is anyone still reading this? lol

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would've been wary of the comment 'clarity grade based on clouds not shown' in your first stone and I'm glad you were able to compare it and now exchange it.

All three of your new choices are lovely - the first inclusion listed is the grade setting inclusion so I wouldn't be worried about a cloud as the third one listed. Your first choice already has an ideal scope and would probably be my top choice...I prefer G color, it definitely looks eye clean, and is the largest of the 3 while still coming in under budget. The ASET of the last one is perfection, though, and if you're good with an H it definitely seems like a great buy for the price!

realazy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, it was a definite risk to buy the first stone with that comment even when it's a VS2. I guess this can act as a warning to other users as I couldn't find much references of VS2s with cloud based clarity.

Another update, just got back comparing with the coworker's ACA which was unfortunately quite dirty. He forgot the clarity of it but it was also an F.

We tried to clean it with soap in the bathroom but it barely helped. My diamond was more sparkly than the ACA which means the ACA is definitely dirty. In fluorescent lighting, which is the only type of lighting we have in the office, it was hard to identify the milkiness. It's probably in my head but I thought I could still see a very slight milkiness. Fluorescent lighting is definitely very flattering for diamonds and was not a good environment to see the slight transparency difference.

Most people probably would not even notice (that's what my co-worker thinks), and I think I keep seeing it is because of me just knowing that the comment is on the report. I think i need help >.< :wall:

realazy

Rough_Rock

Here are the idealscope images

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2076372

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-2110481

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2112923

I think I'm just gonna go with the true hearts, even though it is the most expensive.

I was surprised that the H VS2 with AGS000 has the most light leakage under the table, but the gemologist did pick it as second place vs. the 1.00 G SI1.

Any last thoughts?

1-2076372__1.jpg

1-2110481__1.jpg

1-2112923__1.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first G the best! :love:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you're describing sounds pretty normal.

The diamond you bought is a VS2 with only faint fluorescence - there is no reason it should be milky.

realazy

Rough_Rock
The new diamond finally showed up and WOW it's so much better that the previous one. Its so much more beautiful in every way, it returns light so well in light starved situations. Its completely eye clean and it took me a while to find the clear crystal inclusion on the star facet with a loupe. I'm so glad I did the exchange and props to James Allen's return policy.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many congratulations for finding the perfect diamond.

It is interesting you noticed such a dramatic difference between both diamonds, because on paper the difference isn't HUGE, which makes it a tricky situation for online buyers.

realazy

Rough_Rock
gm89uk|1480847008|4104678 said:
Many congratulations for finding the perfect diamond.

It is interesting you noticed such a dramatic difference between both diamonds, because on paper the difference isn't HUGE, which makes it a tricky situation for online buyers.

I think the best way to describe it was that the original diamond looked dull to me. It sparkled and reflected light, but it felt muted ever so slightly. The new one looks crisp and also has edge to edge brightness which makes it too look bigger along with that its actually 0.1mm bigger in diameter.

In the crappy lighting in my condo, I didnt see that grayish tone in the new diamond and in spot lighting it went darker where the original diamond looked more of a gray color.

I hope that my lesson added some value to the forum as I stumbled on this forum while looking for the clarity grade is based on clouds not shown comment but could not find a reference for a VS2, and by that time I had already impulsively bought it. Having JA call in the diamond may have caught the problem too, so that's the second lesson learned from my experience.

On a closing note, the normal consumer probably would have not noticed and accepted the original diamond, but I've always been a picky consumer and that's why I did not settle for less.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on this outcome!!! Please post pics if you have a chance! :appl:

a-s-80

Rough_Rock
Realazy, just wanted to let you know that your experience was very valuable to me!
As a result I had JA call in the diamond I was considering (I had to provide payment first as it was overseas) so they could evaluate the grade-setting cloud inclusion on the VS2.
So thank you for sharing your experiences and hopefully this will contribute to the overall knowledge base on the forum! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results