shape
carat
color
clarity

Was I being told the truth??

merbear1215

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I bought my dress on June 5th and would told it would be arriving on August 20th. Roughly 10 weeks. Wedding is in October, so that should have been fine.

Call back last week for something else, and was told it would not be there until September and that they could not give me a specific time (which was confusing, since previously they had told me an exact date).

Anyway, the lady starts telling me how it take 14-16 weeks typically (though last week someone there told me 12-14 weeks). I assume that is typical. Is it?

I pushed for more answers because it irritated me that I had heard different information each time I was there/called. Then she starts telling me how if they had 10 dresses purchased today, they would process the order but then the manufacturer would start the orders based on when the wedding date was. For instance, if you and I both ordered our dress today but my wedding is three months before yours, they will start my dress three months before they begin yours. Have you ever heard of this??? I think that sounds crazy...She said "well, where would we keep all those dresses" and I said I imagine people would want to come get there dress and take it home, etc. I just had never heard of that....have any of you??

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
never. but i don't have any in-store bride scoop. i believe poster, oupeargirl, works in a bridal salon, maybe she'll see this & give you some insight.

want to wish you "good luck" though!!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
no manufacturer that my store ordered from ever cared about wedding date, nor did we give it to them... they go by when the order is received/placed.

to be honest, i think that 10 weeks is very quick. we always quoted 12-16 weeks, unless they paid to rush the order, then it was 8 or 10. did you pay a rush fee?

merbear1215

Rough_Rock
Nope, no rush fee. And I would have been willing to had they said it would not have been done in time. But August 20th was the date they gave me.

How long do you think you need to get a dress before a wedding to make sure there is time for alterations?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the extent of the alterations. I only needed some taken in around the bust and waist, and a bustle added... and it was done the week of my bridal portraits (which is when I needed it done by).

I would call the place that you plan on having the alterations done and ask them when they need the dress, in order to have the work completed.

To answer your first question, delivery dates do change, but they should still be able to give you a straight forward answer. I'm sorry they are being so shady. Did they say that they will be able to give you a delivery date at some point, or are they just going to call when it arrives?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

When we make orders, the company always gives us an expected delivery date. After six months or so of dresses rarely coming in on time, we now add about 3 weeks to that date, to share with our brides. These are always estimates. I wish I could stress that to brides more. When they say a dress should be in around August 15th, that doesn't mean it will be there August 15th at 2pm. It's not the store feeding you crap, but the manufacturers are often late. I'm sure they will call you when the dress comes in, and you should be able to have alterations done quickly.

We do give our companies a "wear date" and they begin them based on that. While it's not quite like your store told you, they do take that into consideration. If you order 2 years in advance, they won't take 1.5 to get your dress in. But, if you order 10 months in advance, it could be closer to six to get your dress in. Wheras, if you ordered 6 months in advance, it's possible it could come in in four. Does that make any sense at all?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results