shape
carat
color
clarity

Warm Winter Coats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Hi girls,
With winter months coming fast, I need your recommendations for a really warm winter coat.

I currently only have two coats, one is a brown wool coat that is rather short, which I wear in the spring and fall months. And a really heavy/fluffy coat I bought in timberland 5-6 years ago that I wear in the winter, but don''t like it much as its not very stylish and doesnt go with anything I own.

I''ve been eyeing this coat up but frankly its much much out of my budget:
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=24374&pid=433860

If someone can suggest other coats/materials that are really warm but stylish and not too expensive I''d really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

~Angel

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Angel--you must live in the cold winter areas like me. Sheared beaver would be lovely but oh so expensive.

My warmest winter coat is a down filled coat...but it's not a big puffy coat. It is tailored so that I don't look huge...it actually shows that I have a waist. I'd say it comes to mid thigh. The front snaps for normal winter days. It also has a zipper that is normally hidden by the snaps and when I use the zipper it is nearly air tight. The sleeves also have a wind guard feature which has nylon fabric that is gathered to stop drafts. You can't see it from the outside, but it really works. The collar has a removable real fox fur collar that makes it super toasty. I don't even need a scarf with it when I wear the fur collar. I really love this coat although it is not as dressy as a wool coat. It is always the one I pull out when I want to be truly warm. Unfortunately I got it at Marshal Fields a couple of years ago so I can't send you a link, but I see the more tailored down coats are a lot more popular now than they were when I bought mine.

You might check landsend.com. They normally have very good winter coats that last and are reasonably priced. I'm pretty sure they have some tailored down options this year.

If you want wool, I believe JCREW has some options for thinsulate lining which would make it warmer. I think Monarch got one in ivory not long ago.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love, and shop regularily at, Mountain Equipment Co-op www.mec.ca/

It is a Canadian company, priced in Can$, so your buying $ will would go further. You can shop online. Highly reputable company, good prices, and excellent products. Happy searching!

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Angel777! I got my favorite coat ever from J.Crew this year...I ordered it online. It''s the Double Cloth Lady Day Coat in ivory with thinsulate lining (a must--I''m in the midwest also, where it gets quite cold). It was $328... It''s fitted and very versatile, and the main reason I bought it was because J.Crew offers tall sizes (as well as regular and petite). I always have issues with sleeve lengths on coats--can''t have my wrists sticking out getting frozen, ya know?
9.gif

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered it as soon as they came out this year, but usually around late Nov. to early Dec. they do go on sale, typically for about 30% off, so that would bring the price down to around $220. They have a couple other styles that also offer an optional thinsulate lining as well. Oh, and I also got one of their short, hooded down puffer coats for $168, it''s super cute too.

I''m visiting a friend in NJ this weekend, and she''s already informed me that our shopping mission is to find her a cute, WARM coat that also has to be CHEAP! I''ll let you know what we find!
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the puffer coat (I got it in brown):

jcrewpuffer.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the Lady Day Coat...regular size with thinsulate is $318, mine was extra because of the "tall" size. Also check out the Gap, they have cute coats every year, and even Old Navy if you are feeling totally frugal. I do want to mention that $300+ is a lot for me to spend on a coat, but I haven''t bought a coat for the past few years and I know that these will wear well and last a long time. Oh, and definitely check out Macy''s--the last circular of theirs I saw they were advertising some really cute Esprit and Kenneth Cole Reaction wool coats that were around $150!

ladydaycoat.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s an Esprit one from the Macy''s website...on sale for $139, also comes in black:

esprit.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And how do you feel about $92.99? This one is also from Macy''s site, looks stylish and cute with that little furry collar....

giacca.jpg

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that shearling coat is gorgeous. I would love to get one someday but I didn''t want to spend that much either. I didn''t even know BR sold stuff that was that pricey.

Sundance used to have something similar for around $900 but I don''t think they have it anymore. Too bad. Last year I think they put it on sale for around $400. I was about to get it but it just looked like it would be too long for me.

So my question for you is, what is your purpose for the coat? What is your lifestyle? Are you looking for something dressy, casual or what? How cold does it get where you are?

I have coats that I don''t wear because they aren''t warm enough. I bought a really nice coat at Bloomingdale''s a few years ago and I hate wearing it because it just isn''t warm enough. But I live in Chicago.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch I love the Lady Day Coat........sob
39.gif
I live in south Florida so I don’t have a tendency to wear such a coat. Makes me wish I was still living up north. Man do I miss wearing stylish coats.

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Monarch, that Esprit coat is gorgeous.
I didn''t even realize Macy''s carried such nice stuff and so reasonably priced too!

I have a budget of about 300 max and I''d rather get a couple of coats then a one really fancy one.

That Lady Day Coat, wow wow wow, very very pretty.
30.gif

I browsed Macy''s and here are the ones that I really like:

1. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205126&CategoryID=6403

2. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205051&CategoryID=6403

3. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205163&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

4. this one from jcpenney, but I am not sure if I want a coat that long. I think it will be too heavy!
http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=597&CatID=28453&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0f9d0d2&ProdSeq=15&ProdCount=17&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=hood&RefPage=SearchProducts&CmCatId=SearchResults|SearchDepartment|SearchProducts|597&FromBanners=N&S4DeptID=597&S4PageNum=1&S4PageSize=28&S2HighLight=False&Dep=women

5. this AE coat
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?rcid=womens&scid=cat380157&navroot=womens&productId=0382_1144

And to answer Allison''s question.
My ideal coat would be dressy/casual. I want to be able to wear it with a fancy dress or just with jeans and sneakers and be comfy in both. But mainly I need it to be warm. I want something long but not too long. like maybe a coat that covers my butt and goes a little longer than that just so that I stay extra warm.

:) Let me know what you girls think about the coats I posted.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
North face usualluy does a great down city coat, longer but still wearable and rated for pretty low temps. I will look on their site and see the version they have this year. They do get snapped up pretty fast. I have a black and a burgundy and while they are not a fancy coat at all, they are quite nice and will keep you warm. You can upzip it from the bottom and get in and out of a car easily while still having it closed near your throat...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The North face coats that are great are the Metropolis and Arctic. One is waterproof and one is water resistant. I have the Metropolis and I get a lot of compliments on it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel, so do you need the coat(s) NOW, or can you wait until like, December when they will go on sale??? Just asking because I know that while department stores put their coats on sale early (like now), specialty stores like J.Crew and BR wait until later to put theirs on sale. I''m just thinking if you have the patience to wait for the sales you could end up with two really nice coats for around $300, instead of shopping now and getting some "tide-me-over" coats for reg. or sale price. (I was in retail for a looooonnnnggg time...kinda know how these things work,lol).

I really do like that Esprit coat from Macy''s, and that''s a great price for a wool coat that will carry you through a few years, dressed up or dressed down. The AE duffel coat is also really cute, and I myself have a few AE things that have held up really well, so I wouldn''t worry about the quality there, and the prices are always fab. However, I don''t think you would want to wear that particular one for dressy occasions, the hood and other aspects of it are just a tad too much on the casual side for that. For versatility''s and price''s sake, I would go with the Esprit (which also comes in black). So if you were to buy the Esprit at ~$140, that would leave you with another ~$160 to spend on a more casual coat. OR you could seriously invest in something like the J.Crew coat I have or another version of it for around $300 and dress it up or down. That''s one of the reasons I liked that J. Crew coat so much--I can wear it with jeans and a fun scarf/hat, or I can wear it with a cocktail dress, ya know?

The semi-maxi JCP coat is cute, but all that puffery down scares me a bit--how tall are you, if you don''t mind me asking? That coat looks like it could swallow someone whole, and you might end up looking like a snow(wo)man in it, lol! It''s cute and fun, though, and definitely would keep you warm!

The Larry Levine style with the toggle closures is definitely cute and would be warm, but if you''re really after versatility from one single coat here, I would avoid those toggles--they lend a more casual look to an outfit. Super cute, though.

I know I''m leaving some things you posted out, sorry. Just touching on the ones that caught my attention as far as what I know of your needs. I''ll check back to this thread tomorrow and see if I can be of more assistance-I just love missions like these, hee hee!
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2006 10:14:58 PM
Author: angel_nieves
Monarch I love the Lady Day Coat........sob
39.gif
I live in south Florida so I don’t have a tendency to wear such a coat. Makes me wish I was still living up north. Man do I miss wearing stylish coats.
Well Angel_nieves, don''t you ever travel during the winter months, lol?!
9.gif
So funny to hear a so. Floridian say they miss the north a little bit...I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and have always lamented the fact that my parents transplanted me to the midwest/frozen north, lol!

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Monarch, you have been so helpful. Thank you for bearing with me. :)

I don''t need a coat right now, but I definitely want at least one to tie me over. This tiny coat I am wearing now is kinda cold, and the really heavy one from timberland is too heavy and too warm.
So I can get one coat now. And one later in December or whenever they go on sale.

Esprit coat is the one I like the most right now. It has a hood which is removable and I love hoods, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy. ^_^
But if I were to go for more dressy, I could get rid of the hood, which is awesome.

I absolutely adore that jcrew coat, but since it doesnt'' have a hood, thats one thing holding me back.
Do you think the Esprit coat is versatile as well? I would love to wear it with jeans, and different scarfs/hats and of course out to a party with a fancy dress?

I would probably get gray color, as I am a tad tired of my black coat, but if you think black will be nicer , I wouldn''t mind another black coat.

I am about 5''7", and I''d prefer 3/4 length coat.

Thank you for helping me, I really really appreciate it. :)

PS. I found another one at Macy''s... sooo pretty in my opinion, but definitely out of my price range :)
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205051&CategoryID=6403

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel, I think the Esprit coat is a very good and versatile choice for you! I didn''t even realize the hood was detachable--that''s a great option! I do like it in gray--and it will definitely not show lint like black does, so that''s a plus too!

Glad I could help--let us know what you end up with!
35.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
The Kennth Cole coat you mentioned available at Macy''s was actually what I had my heart set on!! I love it in the grey color they have.... The price on it was $200.00 and they were offering it at 30% off of that.

kennthcole01.jpg

angel777

Shiny_Rock
I am heading over to Macy''s today. Maybe they will have one in the store so I can pick the right size in person and not pay for shipping. :)

Rosebud, that coat is very very pretty too. You should get it!
I love its sleek lines.

Macy''s has really pretty models. I am sold on pretty much every style. Now if only money was no object.
28.gif

angel777

Shiny_Rock
Quick update: Both Macy''s I visited didn''t carry the Esprit coat, so I ordered it in M and hoping that size will fit me.
They didn''t offer sizing guidelines so I hope it will be the right size.

I''ll let you know how when I get it (should be next week sometime).

Quick question, from the department stores, which ones are the most reasonably priced, yet carry fancy designer stuff. I know now that Macy''s is awesome. Any others? :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel, I hope the Esprit works out! Can''t wait to hear/see!
1.gif

angel777

Shiny_Rock
I finally got my Esprit coat today and it was TOO big!
I could fit two sweaters underneath and still have space left to fill.

They are also out of S sizes!!! I hope they re-stock soon. :\

*sigh*
It was oh so soft and the grey is such a beautiful shade. I loved everything about it.

Also the model must be really tall because it was very much so at my knee, not in between. Perhaps S size is a little smaller height wise too.
21.gif

angel777

Shiny_Rock
I am deciding between these two now.

This one in garnet color:

And this one in black:

Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results