shape
carat
color
clarity

want to help choose my setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock

Alright PSers…I need your help…badly!BF has been asking for my input as to what type of setting I would like for our ering.I change my mind every time I think about it, and I’m ready to just give him a few options and have him pick.In all honesty, he could get any setting he wanted and I’d be thrilled, because he knows the only thing that matters is he wants to marry me.My only huge preference with the setting is that it’s yg~just my preference, it looks better on me than white metals (pale, freckled, irish girl with auburn hair) and it’s what I’ve always wanted.However, since he’s said “I want you to tell me exactly what you want because I want you to be thrilled with your ring” I’m feeling anxious to ‘get it right’.Weird huh?Yep, I’m a nutcase. =)

So, here’s the deal.He has an heirloom diamond, European cut, approx 0.50ct.I’ve never seen the stone but I’m sure it’s gorgeous.My ring size is 7.All I’m sure of right now is that I want a thin yg shank, preferably with a platinum head, and a setting that doesn’t sit too high.I would also really like to have an ering that sits flush with a regular wb (not a curved one).So, as of now, I’m toying with 4 setting options:

1. Superbcert Tiffany replica

~pros~I’ve always loved the tiffany setting, it’s classic, simple, sits low, will never go out of style, the prongs hug the diamond, the shank is narrow (I’ve heard around 2.5mm…is that correct?)

~cons~I’m not sure if I love the knife edge, I don’t know for sure if a wb will sit flush with it, and it seems that only knife edge wb’s match well with it (maybe the knife edge can be shaved down so it’s not as pronounced?)

2. Vatche royal crown

~pros~it’s a solitaire but different, delicate, love the head and the prongs.

~cons~the shank is wider (I think 3mm) and I think narrower shanks will work best with our size diamond, the diamond clearly sits higher although I’m not sure if it’s too high for me, and I’m also not sure about wedding bands for this one.

3. X-prong

~pros~another simple solitaire with a twist, (Blenheim’s ring turned me on to this style), the diamond will most likely sit lower, and there are many vendors who carry this setting and/or could easily create one, meaning I could have a narrower shank right?

~cons~I really think I prefer 6 prongs for round diamonds although this isn’t as big of a deal, there are days I prefer 4 prongs, and the wb issue…I don’t think wb’s sit flush with most x-prongs. (?)

4. halo!

~pros~a thin halo would make the stone pop, it has an antique look which I love, could easily be made with a narrower shank (2-2.5mm) where my wb would fit nicely right next to it.

~cons~The general consensus is that this is not a 24/7 ring, and my ering will never leave my hand (except for the obvious).Also, I work with special ed students, and after I finish my master’s I might end up in an early childhood classroom which means lots of messy paint and other fun stuff might be getting in between those diamonds (we’ve all heard the horror stories about pave in the us, which my ring will be frequenting often), and I’m not sure if I’d want to go with a bezel or prong setting.

I know it’s a lot, but I’d really appreciate all of your help.I seriously cannot make up my mind and I would love your insight and honest opinions because I don’t imagine myself coming to a conclusion any time
soon!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that was long...here''s a picture of my mom''s ering on my hand for reference. All she knows is that it''s 0.49ct and my dad chose a quality stone over a larger stone. I love how thin the shank is on her ring...it measures barely 2mm and the prongs are barely noticeable at first glance.

momsering1.JPG

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
My initial thought was a halo as I''m a big fan especially with your size diamond. Not sure what you mean about it not being a 24/7 ring? I have a Vatche art deco style halo ring and it''s very much a 24/7 ring. Also, I work with 1st graders and it''s never been a problem. However, I have never seen a halo in YG, so not sure how it would look.

A solitaire is always a good way to go. It''s classic and will never go out of style.

I''m sure this solitaire doesn''t meet your criteria, but I really like it.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=796&action=show_detail

Here are a couple of halos I like too.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=1082&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=712&action=show_detail

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 3:49:53 PM
Author: jayrenay9
My initial thought was a halo as I''m a big fan especially with your size diamond. Not sure what you mean about it not being a 24/7 ring? I have a Vatche art deco style halo ring and it''s very much a 24/7 ring. Also, I work with 1st graders and it''s never been a problem. However, I have never seen a halo in YG, so not sure how it would look.

A solitaire is always a good way to go. It''s classic and will never go out of style.

I''m sure this solitaire doesn''t meet your criteria, but I really like it.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=796&action=show_detail

Here are a couple of halos I like too.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=1082&action=show_detail

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=712&action=show_detail
Thanks for your reply jay! What I mean about the halo is that through reading all the posts from halo owners, it seems like this ring is one you''d have to be even more careful with (with good reason.) I will cherish my ring and take excellent care of it, but I wonder if I''ll be more worried about knocking one of those tiny stones out than thoroughly enjoying my ring. I really am leaning towards a solitaire, and you''re right in that it will never go out of style...but I just don''t know which one. I can''t narrow it down. I can''t nix the option of a halo though...my bf thinks it''s pretty and unique too. As far as one with yg, the only one I''ve found on ps is anna magdalena''s, but I think her head is yg also. I''ve been trying to picture a plat halo head on a yg band. The settings you suggested are beautiful, thank you for sharing! I wish I could just make up my mind!
19.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Irish,

I love the idea of an x-prong, like Bleinheim''s. Plus, imagine the fun you could have choosing a w-band (since EVERYTHING will go). That''d be my choice. Classic, low-fuss. I adore my solitaire and, having had pave as well, I wouldn''t go back.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Another setting that you might like is Vatche's Royal Empress. It allows the diamond to sit pretty low (or so it looks) and has a gorgeous, interesting profile.

Regarding metals, Vatche is pretty accommodating. I bet they could make a gold ring with a platinum head, if asked.

royalempressirish.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Irish, I''m a huge fan of the Tiffany replica. I don''t think the knife edge will be uncomfortable and I really like it -- it sets it apart from the generic tiffany styles. It may not sit perfectly flush, but if you do a search for solitaires with diamond bands, several women have Tiffany replicas and they look really nice with their bands. I''m also a fan of the plain knife edge band.

I like the Royal Crown, too, but I think it looks best with a diamond over 1.25 ct. I don''t know what size yours is, I''ll have to look. But I think it''s gorgeous in the yellow gold.

I also think the x-prongs will sit pretty flush with a band.

Another of my favorites is the good old standby, the Stuller Solstice. It also sits low, I love the head on it, it''s practical, durable and stylish.

My first choice would be the Tiffany replica, though. I just think it''s the absolute classic diamond solitaire and it''s beautiful with virtually any size diamond.

jend

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 3:19:19 PM
Author:IrishAngel

So, here’s the deal.He has an heirloom diamond, European cut, approx 0.50ct.I’ve never seen the stone but I’m sure it’s gorgeous.My ring size is 7.All I’m sure of right now is that I want a thin yg shank, preferably with a platinum head, and a setting that doesn’t sit too high.I would also really like to have an ering that sits flush with a regular wb (not a curved one).So, as of now, I’m toying with 4 setting options:

What about this one - YG solitaire, 6-prong, thin band, with what looks like a platinum head?

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Exceldiamonds-6-Prong-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-Two-Tone-Gold-648.html

Cheers,
Jen

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts ladies!.

EBree~maybe it''s just Vatche, but I''ve noticed that wedding bands for x-prongs are curved slightly to fit around the setting. If there''s no problem with rings rubbing away at the setting, that option will remain open. =) I''ve looked at the royal empress, and although it''s very unique it doesn''t wow me. Does that make sense? Also, Vatche does offer his settings in a combo of yg with plat head. =)

Lumpkin~The Tiffany replica is the front runner for me too, along with the rc. I''ve never had a knife edge ring before so I was worried, along with the fact that some have said knife edge rings are so uncomfortable they can''t wait to get it off. I should probably try one on to be sure, but I can imagine myself (hopefully) becoming used to it. The solstice is very similar and gorgeous, but if I''m going with a simple 6 prong solitaire it''d be the Tiffany replica. I found a picture of a royal crown on ps with around the same size diamond I have (around .50ct) but I''ve never seen it in person. I LOVE this setting and can''t get it out of my mind but I don''t know if it''d be too busy for a stone my size, and I''m still trying to figure out the shank width. I think I read it was around 3mm, but I can''t find the info.

Jen~Thanks for the suggestion. If I go with a tiffany style setting, I''ll just go with the superbcert tiff replica.

I talked with the FF last night and he looked at pictures...he was wowed by the Superbcert (couldn''t stop talking about it all night), thought the royal crown was very nice, thouught the x-prong was ok, and really liked the halo, but agreed with my concerns about the pave. He kept saying "But it is beautiful!" The more I think about it, the more I realize I may be so worried about that little halo I''d constantly be checking it and counting all of the stones. I''m not eliminating the option, but the solitaire seems more practical to me right now. As for the diamond sitting low, I just don''t want it to sit high in the prongs. Some basic tiffany styles (4 and 6 prong) seem high to me. The superbcert obviously would be lower, and from the looks of it their "medium" height would be fine with me. The rc looks high in pictures, so I''d really like to see one in person...in ring pics it looks like it''s not too high at all, but then again most pics have larger diamonds in this setting. Those are my thoughts for today...if anyone has more ideas, let me have em!
~M =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results