shape
carat
color
clarity

want laptop--for dummies!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking for a laptop/notebook computer online...I would like to go with Dell as we have had good experiences with them in the past and currently own a Dell home computer. Does anyone have suggestions/opinions on the XPS M140 notebook? Please advise.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have any experience with that particular notebook, but I have had a great experience with my Dell laptop...I got an Inspiron 8000 over 4 years ago and I'm just now replacing it. It's still going strong, but I need more power and things for work. I just got the Dell Inspiron 700m notebook as a replacement....so far, love it!!! I'll make the old Inspiron 8000 my home computer!

Maybe someone has the XPS...?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have 4 clients with dell laptops (9 total) all have bad video chips.
The maker of the video chipset even says they are bad if they do what these are doing.
Dell refuses to warranty them.
Tech support says that if we cant figure out what part to send they cant help you and the motherboard of which the video is part of is not a user replaceable part.
They say they will have someone call who can authorize a return to the factory.
Not one of them has got a call back after 6 months and hundreds of phone calls to support.
Dells laptop customer service/support has become total crap in the last year.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, strmrdr, sounds like you are not happy with Dell at all. I wonder why their customer service has taken a turn for the worse?

I am looking for a notebook purely for personal use, I just want to have it to travel with, email, use the internet, word processing, and photoshop. I don''t need anything with all the bells and whistles, just something to keep me entertained, mainly. My budget is $1,000-$1,200.

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
I got a Dell Inspirion last year, and love it....did the big switch from Mac....and it''s just as easy!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Went the other direction two years ago.. to a mac...Love it!
28.gif

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m also looking for a new laptop.

What''s the difference between an Inspiron and a Latitude?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Macs are extremely easy and don''t require a lot of difficulty to transition if you''re already accustomed to using a PC...

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, not a fan of Dell. My current, past and next computer (soon) will be another Sony Vaio. Love love love them. Anyway, since I''m not much help with Dell, I suggest checking out checking out the reviews on PC world. They''ll be able to give you more information on your exact model than any of us could, or perhaps some other options with what you''re looking for.

Here is their link to the Top 5 All Purpose Laptops:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,123678,00.asp
I hope that works

If you want to stick with Dell, head under the reviews, go to Notebook reviews, and filter it by Dell. I came up with 6 laptops they had reviewed.

ETA: Here is a review I found of the particular model...
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2671&review=XPS+M140+and+Inspiron+630m
I skimmed through, the only thing I''d be wary of is the comment of the heat...Normally I wouldn''t even think to pay attention to that, but my brother''s Toshiba just MELTED! Lol so that will be a concern of mine from now on.

Oh, and here is another:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1877005,00.asp

Seems to be getting overall good reviews.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the Dell XPS, but DH has a Inspiron 700m that he customized to a 2Ghz processor that he loves because it''s small and have the power that he wants. He got me a refurbished Latitude off ebay (I have to double check with him for the model) for less than $500. And since I use it for leisure, it was great for that price. DH had a six years old Dell laptop that still works now. It lasts longer than the toshiba one that his work bought him.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting those links, Blue. I just found out I can get a discount on a computer through the company I work for, and they will deduct payments without interest from my paycheck. How sweet is that deal?! We''ll see what I come up with. I''m doing this a wee bit on the sly from my DH--he will never understand what on God''s green earth necessitates me having my own laptop separate from our home computer, especially when I can go online at work anytime I need to, but it''s just one of those things I just WANT!

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a big Macintosh fan. I also own a Mac Powerbook and it''s smooth sailing! The interface and controls are super easy. It''s loaded with software - and ready to go once it''s plugged in. I also think that Macs are low maintenance - hassle free and the most important...it''s virus free - it''s money well spent!

Good luck with your purchase - I''m sure you''ll get great advice from everyone here. Happy shoppin!
26.gif

raven

Rough_Rock

I have a Dell XPS M140 notebook that is still NIB For sale...

specs are:
Pentium Centrino 1.86Ghz
512MB Ram
14.1" True Life Widescreen display
80gb Hard Drive
DVD/CD-RW Drive
Windows Media Center Operating System
Built in 802.11b/g wireless adapter
Built in Bluetooth adapter
Case Logic Rolling Case
Brand New paid $1483.28
Asking $500.00 free shipping

[email protected]

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/29/2005 12:27:53 AM
Author: strmrdr
We have 4 clients with dell laptops (9 total) all have bad video chips.

The maker of the video chipset even says they are bad if they do what these are doing.

Dell refuses to warranty them.

Tech support says that if we cant figure out what part to send they cant help you and the motherboard of which the video is part of is not a user replaceable part.

They say they will have someone call who can authorize a return to the factory.

Not one of them has got a call back after 6 months and hundreds of phone calls to support.

Dells laptop customer service/support has become total crap in the last year.

The University at which I work is an all-Dell shop, down to servers and SANs. I don''t dispute that their customer service, on a consumer level, leaves something to be desired, but we have had zero problems with them. A few of us have gotten Dell-certified a while ago (it''s really a no-brainer, they just want the couple hundred bucks in fees). With the certification, you call up Warranty Parts Direct and simply say "this is what''s going on, I need two mobos for these service tags" and they''ll be at your door first thing the following morning.

As far as difference in Latitude vs. Inspiron - Latitude is the business/professional line, at least that''s who the target audience is. Inspiron is the less expensive, consumer line. If the Latitudes are not cost prohibitive, I''d opt for those in a heartbeat.

In terms of other notebook brands - gosh, ALL manufacturers have issues. A unit at a different university where I worked prior to moving here, had dozens of Gateway notebooks. They were all purchased within a year of one another, all shipped with the IBM TravelStar hard drive... all but two failed on me. Gateway support (enterprise level) refused to replace them with anything but REFURBISHED IBM TravelStar HD''s... which, of course, were doomed to failure. We ended up paying out of pocket for new replacement HDs.

Sony has had their issues as well... and don''t even get me started on Toshibas.

If I were buying a Win platform laptop right now, I''d probably go for the Dell Latitude. I have gutted a number of these now for one reason or another... so I guess the devil you know is better than the devil you don''t know ;-)

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Also, since some folks here seem to have Dell desktops....

If you own an OptiPlex GX270, you should know that this line has a known issue which surfaced a few months ago. The capacitors used on its motherboard are starting to fail, causing (at first) video problems, where it appears as though the system shuts down (display goes blank) although the power light remains on...

We had a lab of 50 or so GX270s, all of which had to have the motherboards replaced. In their defense, Dell support was great.

On the consumer end - if you own this model, and are having issues similar to one described above, call Dell and let them know you have bad capacitors and need a replacement mobo. If you aren''t yet having issues, but have the GX270, I highly encourage you to open your case and check out the capacitors on the motherboard to see if any are bulging... if they start to look like they are, and you are close to the end of your warranty, call Dell anyway and just tell them you are having a problem so they send a replacement. It is fairly certain that, if you have this model, you will experience the problem sooner or later... only if it doesn''t happen while the system is under warranty, you''ll have to pay out of pocket for a new board.

(sorry if this isn''t quite on topic, but I thought I''d post it anyway for the benefit of anyone who might have this desktop)

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t know anything about computer or how to anthing but go on the internet and use word. Everyone in college had Gateways or Dells and other non-Macs (are those PCs? see I don''t know anything), well I had like a $3000 Gateway I didn''t know how to use anything on it and within 3 years it was only worth $60 on a trade in. When I moved to L.A. everyone had Macs and told me to get a Mac and I didn''t want to look around forever so i just bought one. I got an iBookG4 it was like $1000, i love it, it''s easy to use, I now know how to do all the picture stuff and all the music stuff. My BF just got a new expensive Dell, it crashes all the time and gets pop up and stuff, I guess Macs almost never get popups, mine has never crashed in 5 months, I don''t need virus protection because I guess Macs don''t get viruses. Anyway I highly reccommed this computer and when it''s outdated in a year or 2, for $1000 bucks it''s going in the trash. Oh and the battery life, KILLS my boyfriend''s Dell (like 2 hours to my 6 hours probably) and this Mac is like 10 lbs lighter the the Dell, I can hardly lift the Dell with one hand.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a mac too and love it. I grew up with Macs and it wasn''t until I started working that I had to us a PC. Got used to it for work but still love my mac at home.

you might check with mac dealers in your area. ours just bought a whole bunch of g3''s from area schools, refurbished them and they are on sale for $350, about $500 if you buy the extra ram. Not to bad for a labtop and they''ll warrenty it like a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results