shape
carat
color
clarity

Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I know I have a degree in interior design, but you know how they say "those who can''t do- teach", well, "those who can''t hang wallpaper- just pick it out and hire someone else to hang it for their clients"

We are taking on the task of re-wallpapering the lower half of our dining room below the chair rail. Anyone hung wallpaper before? Any tips?

I would actually prefer not to have wallpaper, but it will be masking wood paneling that has been splotched with plaster by the previous "artisan", making it pretty darn ugly.

Thanks PSers. I appreciate your help!!

-Janna

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
wallpaper hanging

i took a quick look for instructions and these seemed pretty close to what im used to. make sure you prep the wall before applying paper. as you know, it depends on the paper as to how much shows thru. a heavy texture and WT will hide a lot of sins in construction/surface.

i would consider making sure the wall behind is smooth.

apply sizing... it makes it a lot easier to hang paper.

assume that none of the angles are 90 degrees and that floors arent level. use a datum line to make sure paper hangs plumb.

make sure you clean the seams. glue on the surface of the paper will look shinny once dried.

i have had paper shrink up on me in the past. which caused problems on the seams. not sure if that is an issue anymore

good luck!!!
35.gif

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
Even wallpaper that looks like it doesn''t have a pattern - has a pattern.

It may take some looking to find out where it repeats but it always repeats.

Remember to match the pattern to the repeats or you will spend years looking at seams.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
My parents wallpapered over paneling by first leveling out the grooves and they primed all the surfaces. I know they were worn out but with paneling you need to do the extra steps to make it look right. I suggest you talk to a home depot for further tips or check on their website. Good luck! I also papered under my chair rail with a faux paint taupe paper and it looks believable
21.gif
( I paid a lady to do mine)
21.gif
21.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of your advice. The paneling is already level and the wallpaper is a heavy grade imperfection covering type of paper- no need to prime. YES!

I will post pictures when we are finished. I think it will look really nice.

Thanks again!
-Janna

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
jorman, if you haven''t already purchased the paper, have you considered stenciling? You can also put a nice cap molding over it to finish the look...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results