shape
carat
color
clarity

Waiting on CAD and overthinking bezel setting.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I am working with on a simple bezel setting. I don't have any pics to share yet - but I am already wondering if I need to switch to claw prongs.

I guess my worry is that there will be too much metal overall. I want it pretty thin. (Clearly, I need to relax and just wait on some drawings.)

If I should decide to shift gears and change to prongs - I am wondering about claw prongs.

Specifically, do you think 4 prongs make a round look less round? Does it give a cushion or square illusion?
I would like thin prongs if I go that route.

Do double prongs (4 double prongs) look even more square? I think those are very pretty but I want my round to stay round looking.

Last question: if you had a <2 carat round - would six claw prongs look like just too much?

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Also, my apologies if I am posting too much. I know some of these topics (discussions) have been had many times over.

I guess I am looking for anecdotes or recent opinions as I know many here have done multiple settings.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can't be much help but I can tell you that I have 6 prongs on my center stone (which is about 1.4 carats) and it is hardly noticeable at an arms length away and it doesn't overcrowd the stone at all close up. I have 4 prongs on the side stones which to my eye makes them look slightly squarish but to be honest, it's really obvious they are all round stones. The difference isn't huge.
I hope that helps a little.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going for an antique look with the bezel? It would help if we had the CADS to look at. I always think 6 prongs for
an antique setting (sometimes 8 if it's a big stone). If they are petite (claw) they should not distract and should look normal.
If they are fat blobs then they will distract.

For more modern looks I think 4 prongs...they do make a stone look more squarish to me but as long as they are petite/small
claws I think they look fine. If it is a smaller stone I tend to think more 4 prong just because of metal/stone proportions. I think
when you get the CADS people will be able to give more input on what to go with...looking forward to seeing the CADS.

Double prongs...depends on the size of the stone plus bezel with double prongs may be too much going on. Really need to
see CADS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results