shape
carat
color
clarity

Voce's Gemstone Ramblings...

PriscaSinclair

Rough_Rock
@PriscaSinclair @lovedogs @T L and anyone following the story of me sending in my included red spinel for setting, Ivyandrosevintage is done with the ring! I love how it looks, and I'm going to have this to look forward to receiving. :kiss2:
@voce that is beautiful! I think it looks super classy in that white gold setting! I really like that pic of the tsavorite garnet as well. Im thinking I'll probably not going to afford having an emerald in my future anytime soon so I better read up on those green garnets :)

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear of the delivery woes, @voce, that's super frustrating :(

I totally missed that pariaba in Yvonne's shop, but not surprised it sold quickly, especially at that price! I'm really going to have to get on the stick if I want a pair of blue (er) pariaba studs.

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is heartbreaking. The package is now LOST. I have requested UPS investigate to locate the package and figure out what happened, but it seems all UPS is doing so far is covering its tracks. I give you the sequence of events.

1) Wednesday 5/1: Ivyandrose (hereinafter vendor) sends me pictures of my finished rings, I'm happy with how they look, and they tell me it will be shipped via UPS Next Day Air. Vendor does not mention they'll be restricting delivery options.

2) Thursday 5/2: UPS attempts delivery when no one is home, leaves note on the door. I tell vendor I work full-time, and so I'm hoping to receive the package on Saturday, when UPS attempts a third delivery.

3) Thursday 5/2: Vendor tells me the delivery service they requested does not do delivery on Saturdays; that would be an extra cost. Says they will tell UPS to reroute the package, and asks where I would like to pick it up.

4) Thursday 5/2: Given this open-ended question, I supply the address of a UPS Store in City 2. I live on the border between City 1 and City 2, and the store in City 2 is closer to my home than the UPS location in City 1 UPS was making the delivery from.

5) Thursday 5/2: Vendor calls UPS, requests an address change, package still has an adult signature requirement.

6) Friday 5/3: Package is marked as out for delivery, then "DELIVERED" to City 2, without a street address, and received by XXXXXXX (identfying name taken out) as an inside delivery. I am puzzled what the inside delivery means. I only get off work after 6pm, go home, and get home at 6:37pm. The package is not at the house. I decide to check at the UPS Store tomorrow, figuring they must have delivered to the UPS Store in City 2, though I still found it strange there was no street address mentioned on the tracking info.

7) Saturday 5/4: I call UPS Store the address was changed to by vendor. They are puzzled, and the owner says they did not receive my package and furthermore have no employee by the name of XXXXXXX. They recommend I call UPS Customer Service.

8) Saturday 5/4: I call UPS Customer Service and tell them points 1-7. They open up an investigation and tell me they will be sending details of the investigation to vendor, since vendor was the one who had sent the package. UPS Customer Service claims the vendor rerouting the package was not "a proper request" and deflect responsibility. They say the investigation will take 1-7 business days.

9) Saturday 5/4: I write email to vendor over Etsy letting them know what happened and that there is an investigation. I tell vendor I hope for the best, but if the package is not found, I will have to dispute their charge through Paypal. Their loss is the work and expense that went into setting 5 rings for me, but my loss would be what I paid them plus my colored gemstones that I entrusted to them. On my end, if I don't dispute this charge, then my loss is ~$4k, which is just crushing to me as I'm not that rich. I'm already feeling angst over the gemstones I had collected.

10) Saturday 5/4: I notice that, little by little, UPS has changed their records so that for Friday 5/3 it no longer says the details it did for XXXXXXX or City 2 as the delivery location. It now says it was delivered to City 1, no mention of name. I did take a picture with my phone before that change was made, but I'm concerned UPS is changing the details and will claim it was delivered to my doorstep without signature, which will affect my Paypal dispute. Still have not heard a response from the vendor.

At this point, I am angry with UPS for seeming to cover its tracks, and I am upset with the blunders the vendor has made in sending the package. The vendor is probably upset with me, for sending them my home address even though I'm not able to sign for it at home when UPS makes delivery.

I'd be happy to sign for it on a Saturday at home or after work at a UPS location. Why did the vendor restrict these options? Are their normal customers people who have the luxury of staying a home just to receive packages, or people who get mail delivered to work? I work as a key employee at a small business and the company policy is 5 days' advance notice for taking time off unless I'm sick, which I'm not.

What may be "normal" for vendor's business practices is not normal for me as an Etsy buyer. I have bought gemstones or jewelry from at least 5 other Etsy vendors, and this was the first time I ran into an issue with delivery options being restricted, or the package lost.

I feel crushed. Please send some good vibes my way.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Voce, I’m so sorry this happened, but if you paid with credit card, I would open up an inquest with them, this IS NOT YOUR FAULT, and you didn’t receive the goods. I would ask them to advise me on what to do, Credit card companies deal with this all the time.

On a positive note, I do remember something like this happening to someone else on this board, and they did eventually receive their jewelry, although it took a while.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry to hear this, voce, that’s completely outrageous:( I also had something like happen a few years ago, but it wasn’t jewelry and I received my merchandise the next day, it had been delivered to the wrong address in the right city.

I really hope that UPS can get this sorted out quickly! Positive thoughts and good vibes going your way :)

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, No! This really sucks; I am so sorry for you. It does look like the delivery requires a signature, so UPS should not be able to claim they left the package at your door? Hopefully UPS is tracing the package and finding out mistakes instead of just covering their track. I really hope you will receive your package soon!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Voce I am so sorry about this. Gem lovers worst nightmare it is.

*huggles hun*

I hope they get it sorted and you get your package soon.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
That is awful! So many rings and stones :shock:. Hope that a miracle happens and UPS can find your package.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
UPS has really good tracking systems. They don’t make many mistakes. They would lose a lot of money if they did. I bet your package will turn up Monday or Tuesday.

A friend shipped a telescope to Italy via UPS and the package appeared lost. While it was still under Investigation, it arrived safe and sound in Italy 3 days later.

Good luck!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry this happened! I believe there is a good chance that it will arrive. I know how frustrating and depressing it is.

I went through something like this when my star ruby was supposed to be delivered within 8-10 days, but it took around 6 weeks as I recall. One day, it showed up. Opened an investigation and prepared for the worst but hoped for the best.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had this happen to me once (oddly enough with UPS) so know the awful feeling. Now I always ask for USPS insured or they ship Fedex directly to one of Fedex's "Hold at Location" (which is either my local Walgreens or the Fedex Ship&Print store - both have late and Saturday hours). Anyone can lose a package but I don't have to mess with redirecting packages and the post office and Fedex Hold Locations are easier for me to get to.

If the vendor shipped for the full value of your pieces (and not just their work), then you may get reimbursed for your stones at well. Although there is nothing that makes up for the loss of finding the "right stone", at least it reduces the monetary impact.

Mine was a package that got held by UPS because someone noticed that the package looked like it had been tampered with. The vendor shipped ahead of schedule and we didn't realize it was missing until I asked when it was shipping after not hearing from them. Kudos to UPS for not trying to deliver the tampered with package (yes, the rings were gone) BUT they should have notified someone.

On the upside, my vendor totally went above and beyond to make me whole (not just for the settings but the lost stones). It's always easy to be a good vendor when things go well but the real test is when things go wrong.

As others have said, it's early and chances are the package will be found...so fingers crossed!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto same issues with lost package on UPS. But mine was a gem and the vendor had insurance.

I really hope your items show up.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Oh this is just awful! Very odd that the vendor wouldn’t pay extra for Saturday delivery or at least give you the option to. I hope they will find your package!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh no! How terrible :(2. I hope everything works out and they find your package safe and sound - quickly!!

mdi

Shiny_Rock
I've had so many packages shipped where the UPS or USPS tracking information was just plain wrong. You'll get them next week! And we can't wait to see photos!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I hope they find the package! :cry2: Have you considered having jewelry delivered to your work address?

Ugh... this happens every time with my city’s USPS. I switched to the work address, but recently, a vendor required a signature without telling me, and now it’s in a bin for “redelivery.” Maybe. :x2

voce

Ideal_Rock
@strawrose I was hoping to hide how much I'm actually spending on jewelry. I don't want my coworkers to think I'm making much more than them, because I'm not. Maybe one day when my spending winds down I will switch it to my work address though.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I usually use the USPS if there is a choice. I will miss the first delivery, but they leave a ticket and I can pick it up the next day. The closest UPS pickup is 45 minutes away. Hope you get lucky this week, Voce!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
@strawrose I was hoping to hide how much I'm actually spending on jewelry. I don't want my coworkers to think I'm making much more than them, because I'm not. Maybe one day when my spending winds down I will switch it to my work address though.
Do your coworkers ever comment on or ask about your different rings? Do you wear multiple rings in one day to work? I feel like super awkward when my coworkers do for some reason. Comments like why I got a new ring make me feel shameful for spending when I buy something that was one of those “just because” purchases :(2

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrible, I had a situation with Australia Post where they delivered a PSers package to the correct street name but in a totally different location many many miles from where it was supposed to go (ie a street with the same name at the wrong address). The PSer (who lives overseas) sent her friend (probably under great risk) to go and doorknock and ask for the package and the person that lived at the wrong address thankfully handed it with sapphires in it over to her friend.

Australia Post took no responsibility whatsover for the mix up denied everything, changed a heap of stuff that was listed on the Internet and so on, they refused an insurance claim because they said it wasn't their fault and denied the delivery guy went to the wrong address right up to the point where the lady recovered the package from the wrong address - so I have limited faith in most postal systems and delivery services.

Keep chasing it that's the best advice I can give.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I hope you have had some good news and that everything is found. I’ve had things like this happen when I lived in more metropolitan areas, but they have turned up, which always gives me hope. I’m wondering if it was sent to the vendor again and just hasn’t arrived back to the start point yet?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@voce Have there been any updates on the location of your package since Saturday? If the vendor has a UPS business account that they shipped with, they might be able to get better results going through their UPS account rep than the general UPS customer service department. I really hope it turns up soon.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just called the UPS Store where it was supposed to be delivered to, and they say they have the package! I'll hold my breath until I can pick it up and verify the contents, but I definitely felt a lot of relief when they said they have it. They want to charge me an extra $5 for picking it up at the store instead of getting it delivered at my home address, but if the package is unscathed, that's relatively a small price to pay. I just really don't like how they marked the package as DELIVERED before it was actually delivered to that address.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! I hope you will have your pretties in your hands very soon!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear that news, voce! You shouldn't have been put through all of that worry, but at least it ended well, or will once you have that package in your hands:clap:

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Yay! So glad to hear you'll be getting your sparklies.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew you d get it sooner or later, but what a relief!!!! I’m so happy for you:appl:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking forward to seeing my sparklies too! Should I take pictures and reveal the rings all at once, or one at a time, as I did with my Cecile Raley Designs projects in March? :twisted2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results