shape
carat
color
clarity

Vivian Silk Satin Wedding Dress @ JCrew - SALE $99.99

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Hey girls,

Anyone seen this dress in person? Or found more than this one front view?

I am amazed that it's $99.99 from the original $495. oops, now $74.99! Sizes 0-14 all available.

I am frustrated that I can't try it on, but for 100 bucks, it just might be worth giving it a shot. Also, anyone know anything about their sizing?

THANKS!

Aurelia

ETA: JUST KIDDING... IT'S UNDER $75 WITH THEIR DISCOUNT. IS THERE SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THIS DRESS, OR IS IT JUST SUPER CHEAP FOR NO REASON?

65597_NA6434.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
They have online sizing charts that I find are very accurate.
You can call the 1-800 # and ask them about the fit. They will tell you how it fits. I used J. Crew for my bridal party and let the girls choose from several styles and the phone reps were very helpful w/ regards to which style looked best for different body types.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve heard great things about their dresses, and have seen some knot bios of girls in their other bridal dresses,
this gown looks beautiful-
i say go for it, worst case you can resell it on ebay if needed,

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info -- I actually just called and got connected to someone VERY quickly! Wow! They had a sizing chart right in front of them, but I still couldn''t seem to find it online. Wierd!

I know it''s an INCREDIBLY simple dress, but I wanted simple, so that''s not a problem.

Well, I might as well try it out... I mean I was looking at a sweater that was more expensive! $75 is worth the risk I think, but I''m still curious if anyone knows anything about the dress personally : )

Thank you dtnyc & labbielove : )

Aurelia

E B

Ideal_Rock
I adore it. It looks a lot like the dress I''m ordering (without its sash). A dress that will never go out of style.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
My fiance just used the computer and saw the dress in the open Jcrew window...

his MALE response was: It''s white, it''s long... why wouldn''t it work?

I love him to death! but he can be a bit clueless.... he was mostly kidding, but part of him said... what''s the big deal?

I''ll decide sometime very soon - can''t imagine it sitting around at that price that long.

thanks for the advice!

Aurelia

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
It''s simple and nice, you could always have a sash made in a different colour to make it a little more special- or have beading added to it. If it fits, but you decide to go with something else you could have it dyed and wear it out for another occassion. It is a no loss situation. If you don''t get it you might regret it.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s gorgeous, and for that price, why not order it??

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
I say go for it! It sounds like it''s a match with what style of dress your looking for, and if you hate it when it arrives you only lost 75 bucks!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/1/2007 9:43:59 PM
Author: Cheekyprincess
It''s simple and nice, you could always have a sash made in a different colour to make it a little more special- or have beading added to it. If it fits, but you decide to go with something else you could have it dyed and wear it out for another occassion. It is a no loss situation. If you don''t get it you might regret it.

ditto- you can always order a sash from romanticflowers.com- their double-faced swiss ribbon is a match for the Monique L sashes. I think that J. Crew has nice high quality dresses and that it''s a lovely classic dress- it''s really just a matter of how it looks on you. Do they have it in your size? If so I would order it and take it to a tailor and have it altered to fit you perfectly, get the right bra, etc.

alepinik

Rough_Rock
Hi, I just ordered this dress. It should be here in a couple days. Did you end up getting it or are you still undecided?

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
alepinik,

I did order it and it was a big mistake (thankfully not an expensive one!)

The dress came with a huge sticker on it saying FINAL SALE -- fine -- I get it, it''s drop-dead low prices, makes sense.

BUT: there is about 4" of the bottom hem that has come loose, a few light gray streaks on the bottom 1 1/2 feet of the dress (scuff marks?) and a few places where there are catches in the fabric and threads are all bunched right up near the bodice.

CLEARLY NOT NEW & UNUSED! JCrew is arguing that it is a final sale. I argue that they never ONCE said anything about it''s not being in NEW CONDITION...

Thankfully, I don''t even really like it, so I''m not upset that I can''t wear it. Now I''m arguing with JCrew on principal. I''m MAD!

Hope this helps!

Aurelia

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, that's awful!! I can't believe they boxed up an obviously dirty/worn dress and stuck a "final sale" sticker on it and sent it to you! A floor length white dress... surely they must know what event this dress would be worn to. How tricky and mean of them. A damaged dress should be sold in a store with a tag that says "damaged" so that the buyer can check it out and decide if it's worth the money to them despite the damage. To just send it to you sight unseen when you're assuming it's new... I would have expected better from them.
38.gif

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I''m PISSED! Just thankful that I have a LONG time until my wedding and found this out QUICKLY. My fiance is angry (he never gets angry) and just spent 45 minutes screaming at customer service as they still refuse to refund my money. The best they offered was 25% refund in store credit, without shipping. And it''s THEIR freaking fault!

His voice hurts now... so he finally stopped... without getting them to budge any further.

FRUSTRATED!

Aurelia

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I think I would try to bring it to a JCrew store personally and appeal to a mgr there to help you. Anyone with a brain could see that there was a mistake made. If you can pull up the website info and bring it with you, that would be helpful, as it did not say anything about it being a used product etc.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 7:43:07 PM
Author: gail013
I think I would try to bring it to a JCrew store personally and appeal to a mgr there to help you. Anyone with a brain could see that there was a mistake made. If you can pull up the website info and bring it with you, that would be helpful, as it did not say anything about it being a used product etc.
ditto this... everyone makes mistakes and you never know how stuff is handles in warehouses.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 7:51:50 PM
Author: dtnyc

ditto this... everyone makes mistakes and you never know how stuff is handles in warehouses.
Thanks guys,

We are 2+ hours from the nearest JCrew.... Yes we live in the boonies!

But, if another call yields no results, we''ll take a trip down thhis weekend.

Aurelia

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 8:25:05 PM
Author: Aurelia

Date: 1/9/2007 7:51:50 PM
Author: dtnyc

Thanks guys,

We are 2+ hours from the nearest JCrew.... Yes we live in the boonies!

But, if another call yields no results, we''ll take a trip down thhis weekend.

Aurelia
I can''t believe that they aren''t being gracious on the phone with you- I had my bm''s order their dresses through them and they were beyond helpful- at one point though a 14 tall was sent to my one BM who ordered the 4 tall and it was at the final sale point. I called them up and they sent her the 4 tall w/o even getting the 14 back and apologized profusely. Also in our ordering I spoke w/ them on the phone about the dresses being in good condition and not being "shop-worn" as I had been considering having them wear dresses from Ann Taylor and the AT dresses in the stores were all pulled and snagged.

Maybe if you get someone else on the phone, or call one of their "special events" consultants, since this dress was for a special event they will be more helpful. Also I would just say you want to return the dress because it''s damaged, I wouldn''t say that you didn''t like the style, just that you are going to go in a different direction now.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t know if you have but i''d talk to a manager immediately. typically the customer service people in general don''t have the authority to really do anything other than a discount or free shipping in the future or whatever. i always ask to speak to the manager. if they can''t help me, i ask for ''the person who has the authority to entirely refund my money''...i have been able to climb call center support ladders til i finally got what i wanted in the past, but it can be a very long call!

if that fails, call 7 on your side or whatever the local ''customer advocate'' is in your local area. the one here locally ... you send a story in with pictures or whatever and then they help you get justice and typically the retailer or whoever does the right thing because they don''t want the bad press. a lot of times things are featured on the local TV as well.

sorry to hear about the dress, i''m surprised too because jcrew is typically pretty wonderful about returns. but i have bought some final sale stuff before ... did it say final sale on the website? good luck.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

I don''t object to the idea of "Final Sale" if the dress were in proper condition. I figured if I didn''t like it or couldn''t be altered properly, I would just eat the $75+shipping. I am NOT willing to just eat the cost because the dress is unwearable (and thus un-ebay-able too!) I certainly have not (and will not) mention the fact that I don''t really like the dress either... that''s not the point
11.gif

I am going to go into the city today to talk to someone in person, as the shift I was supposed to cover no longer needs me... We''ll see how it goes. While on the phone, my fiance was talking to the most senior manager available... who didn''t seem to be able to do much. My fiance is great at the "well if YOU can''t help me (or won''t) I want to speak to your superior... NOW" line...

I have never had any bad experiences with JCrew in the past - they''ve always been very helpful & quick to correct any mistakes. Seems this is not one of those cases
14.gif

I''m going to go put on my
29.gif
SCARY
29.gif
face but remember to keep my cool. It''s NOT my fault (repeats to self!)

Thanks for all your help guys!
Aurelia

lasnowgirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your report!! I have this dress in my shopping cart since it is sooo cheap, but thank goodness for this forum and your thread. And like you, I was willing to eat the $75+ if it didn''t work out, but now I know better than to even try. I really hope they will give you your money back. If not, I would take it up with the credit card company. Dispute your charge and explain to them that they sold you a used product!

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys,

Good update: made my expedition to the BigBadCity and brought the dress into a JCrew store in person. As it turns out, the manager there who I spoke to is planning her wedding right now... she took one look at the dress and was schocked... She said she just might have gone ape-sh*t if she had received that dress in the mail, especially as a wedding dress!

Full refund, including shipping, tax, etc... AND a $50 gift certificate to the store. No joke. This girl was too much!

Thank you for nudging me to go in PERSON! It did wonders
9.gif

okay, so on to shopping for THE dress... i.e. NOT this one
14.gif

Aurelia

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
That''s fantastic! I am so glad that the manager was able to make the situation right- I just hope it was worth your time to go into the city!
Also it''s good to know that that manager probably won''t send the dress back to have it be put back up for sale for the current price.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 7:33:49 PM
Author: Aurelia
Hey guys,

Good update: made my expedition to the BigBadCity and brought the dress into a JCrew store in person. As it turns out, the manager there who I spoke to is planning her wedding right now... she took one look at the dress and was schocked... She said she just might have gone ape-sh*t if she had received that dress in the mail, especially as a wedding dress!

Full refund, including shipping, tax, etc... AND a $50 gift certificate to the store. No joke. This girl was too much!

Thank you for nudging me to go in PERSON! It did wonders
9.gif

okay, so on to shopping for THE dress... i.e. NOT this one
14.gif

Aurelia
Wonderful, I''m glad things worked out for you!! And...you can buy a sweater or something, awesome!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
so glad that worked out-

if you have a moment, you may want to write to them and explain your whole fiasco-

it will give kudos to the manager that finally made it right, and i would question them why their "online" folks and phone reps are not empowered to do the same.

sorry the dress didn''t work out, but at least you got $50 for your troubles
2.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely send a letter of appreciation about the mgr who took the time to help you. I am glad it worked out. Someone at JCrew may read the letter and it may prevent another mistake for someone else. It was so obviously wrong....

Tiatrack

Rough_Rock
I just stumbled upon this post looking for other views of the dress. What an awful ordeal! I have to say though that I ordered the dress and it is absolutely stunning. Mine is clearly brand new. It sounds like yours was dragged behind a car! I love the dress though and I''m thrilled with the $75 price!

This link has a few other views too. I like the back of it.
http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml;jsessionid=DNZ5RBTWUGPDGCTFEEHBYUQKMUQROGUG?id=prod65597571

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eeek, I don''t know if I just did something totally stupid...but I decided to order this dress despite the possible problems.
33.gif

They have an additional 30% off the final sale price of $99.99 for $69.99 plus an additional 10% of if you enter the code SNTL...so it hardly cost anything luckily (62.00 + tax + shipping=78.00). I figure if it doesn''t fit I can at least get $40-50 back by selling it on ebay or craigslist. I''m not going to be crushed if it doesn''t work out...was this completely crazy??? Eeeek, I need some reassurance!

I already own a dress, but I can still return it and the alterations are going to cost more than the dress...and this jcrew dress looks really similar. I think I will try this dress on and compare it to the one I already have and then sell the other one. It was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase. Cross your fingers it arrives without problems.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good for you A at getting resolution, honestly I was surprised at the problems you had as JCrew is typically great with customer service from my experience...anyhow, kudos!

kc keep us posted on your experience!!

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Kcourselle -- no, you haven''t made a big mistake... I think my experience was certainly NOT the norm... especially for JCrew! I wish you all the best and hope you love the dress!

Mara -- as it turns out the manager who helped me out so much is actually the sister of a girl I went to GRADE school with (yes, NH seems to be growing smaller, not larger)! I ran into her again at the hospital and finally made the connection - silly me!

Aurelia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results