shape
carat
color
clarity

Virginia Tech Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Such a horrible, senseless tragedy. So sorry to anyone effected.
emcry.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I just came to post this and see you already have. I am speechless and numb. What an unreal horror happened today. I read its the worst murder rampage in US history on a campus. I have chill for those victims, and their families. I can''t even imagine the horror the victims must have felt before being killed or the shock of the families.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
To put this in perspective, Columbine, 12 people were murdered. Today at VA tech, at least 29 were murdered but that could rise if injured die. The last worst in history was 1966 when 16 were killed.

Sick, sick world. Random stuff like this scares the heck out of me.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nan called me to tell me while I was in my car. I am just horrified. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families that lost loved ones. It''s just awful.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
39.gif
38.gif
39.gif
15.gif
I am fortunate to not know any one currently attending, although I have favorite teachers still on campus. As an alum, I cant believe this! My heartbreaks for the school and all the victims... I dont know what to say other than it is horrific. Not something I would have ever thought to happen at Tech. Too much small town charm and harmony. I must commend the university, town and state for its response though... Tech is not a small campus.

DH is an engineering alum, so it will be interesting to know if any of his profs were unfortunately involved. I was art, so I doubt any of mine would be involved.

My heart just breaks for everyone...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such dreadful tragedy. How many people are going to suffer from one mans senseless violence.......

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so sad. It makes you wonder what is wrong with these people. I feel bad for the families.
15.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does make you wonder what is going on with these people. Sick.
38.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yea, it''s awful. One of my professors had a professor that worked there, and a bunch of friends, so his phone was ringing off the hook today. I was told the rumor of how it all started by the friend of a friend type deal, and it''s just awful. It''s terrifying also because we also had a murder on our campus late last semester. It''s just terrifying.

*M*

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
This is just so shocking! I have a friend who used to be a professor at Virginia Tech...he now teaches else where...thank goodness!!!
My thots and prayers are going out to all the students and the families of the deceased.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 2:37:26 PM
Author: FireGoddess
It does make you wonder what is going on with these people. Sick.
38.gif
What a horrible news! It's hard to even think of what's all the victims friends and relatives are going thru right now.

FG, i don't know exactly why shooter did it but it is possible that he in fact was sick. In our university each year were 4 freshman's suicides in average. Sad, but at least they did not take anybody along.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Just sad . . . I cannot imagine the horror for the victims and their families. What a tragedy!!! I am going home and giving my loved ones an extra hug tonight . . . just devastating news.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
That IS horrid.

Too many people that belong in treatment centers or asylums that are out on the loose.

But as horrible as this sounds, think of all the innocent people being tortured and killed in the Middle East, as well as all the soldiers, police there.

Maybe I need to find a new planet.......

Rockdoc

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 3:16:15 PM
Author: hikerchick
Just sad . . . I cannot imagine the horror for the victims and their families. What a tragedy!!! I am going home and giving my loved ones an extra hug tonight . . . just devastating news.
I second that hikerchick, i'm going to give my loved ones some extra big hugs too...some people in the world are just sick...honestly this event and an event i was involved in sometimes makes me rethink the countries right to bear arms, i wonder what it would be like, although the people that shouldn't get the guns anyway would find some way to get them anyhow. my sincere condolences to the families involved...

::edit:: 32 confirmed dead...i feel sick T_T

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
NJC - I thought about you and a few others Hookie Alums here in our PS community. I am at a loss for words. It''s personal to us as well. It''s a lovely campus with great kids, professors & reasearch facilities. Hubby spends quite a bit of time on campus.

My thoughts and prayers go out, especially to the parents.

I, too, heard how the whole thing *may* have started. Shame, Shame, Shame. Sorry, I don''t buy into the guns don''t kill people - People kill people. If there was no easy access to an assault rifle, people would still be duking it out in the parking lot w/ few casualties. Guns kill people in succession and the innocent.

I am so at a loss for words. I am praying for the parents that still need to hear if their children are safe.

FWIW, the VA police are still only reporting 22 deaths and not the 32 the media is reporting. Sad, to be hopeful that their(police) news are correct.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been terrified for the last hour or so because I have a grad school pal who teaches there. I tried reaching him, his sister and another friend, but didn''t get hold of anyone. Thankfully, I just heard from him and he''s alright. One set of shootings happened fairly near his office, which is really scary. He also told me that the school has been receiving bomb threats recently.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
This is so horrible. We need to look very seriously at our culture and what our kids do for entertainment.

I can''t help but think this is a product of the increasing amount of violence in our "entertainment". Kids/teens spend hours a day playing video games where you win by killing everything in site. Most Hollywood movies are about special effects - blowing things up, killing people, etc.

I hate to say it, but to me, I''m surprised this doesn''t happen more often. It''s awful, tragic, and no parent should have to go through what these parents are experiencing. But we have way too much violence in our daily lives. I think Hollywood and the video game industry are partially to blame here.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Family members and friends of the victims will be in my thoughts.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you Starryeyed. And, IMHO, I want to add that I think it''s also a result of ZERO tolerance in schools/etc. These kids go from Zero to Gun with no in between stop.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
One of my best friends was working in the library, which he tells me is caddy corner to where the majority of the shootings took place. I freaked out when I saw the story. He''s ok. He said that they could hear the shots though and that his building was locked down.

Stuff like this really scares me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three times as bad as Columbine SO FAR! This is horrible! My brother is a recent alumnae & my father is also an alum. I''m not sure yet if they know anyone currently on the campus.

I''m STUNNED.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My husband was supposed to go there for work today. Thank God, he didn't. Our phone has been ringing all day, with his coworkers calling to make sure he is OK. He won't be going down there at all this week. We are in a state of shock.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I posted in World, didn''t see the thread here (thanks fire&ice)....

This is so sad
39.gif
, I study higher education management at Penn, so this is already part of the discussion. It feels way too soon, but many are just angry that there appears to be a two hour gap, and that students were not warned in an appropriate manner....
38.gif

I cannot say enough how much I feel for the victims, their familys/friends, and the university-wide community. This is just unbelievable, and tragic...

Dani

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Press conference on now.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
So sad.
39.gif
My thoughts go out to all the families that lost loved ones.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 4:38:28 PM
Author: UCLABelle
I posted in World, didn''t see the thread here (thanks fire&ice)....

This is so sad
39.gif
, I study higher education management at Penn, so this is already part of the discussion. It feels way too soon, but many are just angry that there appears to be a two hour gap, and that students were not warned in an appropriate manner....
38.gif

I cannot say enough how much I feel for the victims, their familys/friends, and the university-wide community. This is just unbelievable, and tragic...

Dani
Dani, I did not see your post, I am so very sorry if I stepped on toes.

My heart hurts for the community. They have yet to confirm a connection between the two shootings, and they have yet to disclose whether the shooter was a student or not. There are some reports that another shooting happened in an apt. complex near campus and an insinuation that they are connected, but again, nothing confirmed. The spokesperson said he knew nothing about the other shooting.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 4:36:26 PM
Author: risingsun
My husband was supposed to go there for work today. Thank God, he didn''t. Our phone has been ringing all day, with his coworkers calling to make sure he is OK. He won''t be going down there at all this week. We are in a state of shock.

thank god he is safe.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
My friend goes to VA Tech- thankfully I got in contact with her & she''s okay. She and her boyfriend are still waiting to find out how all their friends are.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
One of the places you expect your child will be safe from this kind of danger is in a classroom. Having 3 in college, this news hits very close to home.

Heartfelt prayers being lifted up for the victims, the survivors, families, friends, Faculty, and Staff of Virginia Tech.
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results