shape
carat
color
clarity

Virginia Tech Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you starryeyed. My 10 year old son thinks I am horrible becuase I won''t let violent video games into my house and monitor TV. But his friends parents don''t . I tell them how I feel but it seems like all other parents allow their sons to view that crap. When Iwas a kids there was not graphic video games and movies were less violent and I don''t remember even ONE incident like Columbine growing up and I graduated high school 20 years ago. It seems like these tragic school shootings are becoming common place. Its just so sickening. It makes me fear for my children. We had a shooter scare and lock down at my children''s elementary school last year. Elementary school in an upscale suburb and a fifth grader was caught with a gun in his back pack. Who is responsible- the parents.

I totally think its a society problem here.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
I was a student at Columbine HS during the shootings...it was my freshman year and the scariest, saddest, and worst day of my life. My heart goes out to those students and families today at VA tech...it all hits a little too close to home.

"Then, when it seems we will never smile again, life comes back." Anonymous

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:10:35 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 4/16/2007 4:36:26 PM
Author: risingsun
My husband was supposed to go there for work today. Thank God, he didn't. Our phone has been ringing all day, with his coworkers calling to make sure he is OK. He won't be going down there at all this week. We are in a state of shock.

thank god he is safe.
Thank you, Skippy. Several of my coworkers have children or relatives at Tech. One was shot in the leg, but will be OK. Some of the counselors in my practice are going to the campus to help the students and families. There are so many questions yet to be anwered.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
so terrible and very scary. Lots of thoughts and prayers for everyone affected.

I agree w/ the thoughts on the violent games- not something I''ll ever allow my children to do! I don''t see how it''s productive or useful for anyone.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for those of you with immediate ties... I am still stunned!

DH and I have been glued to the TV. I have always wanted Tech to be known nationally, but not like this! I wanted it for the sports teams not making tragic history! I have to admit I am a little peeved at the media, but whats new right? I do not fault the university at all for the way they handled things and were getting the word out. They did what they could... i dont think people are getting how LARGE campus is! Kids were already on their way to class... freshman are really the only ones that live on campus.

Prayer out going for all my Hokie family...........

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I graduated from Virginia Tech in May and that campus will always be "home" to me. I cannot comprehend that this happens. Things get more and more surreal as the day goes on. I still haven''t heard from everyone and I am so scared. I do know that the VT community is strong and will do everything they can for victims and families.

Date: 4/16/2007 7:27:51 PM
Author: njc

DH and I have been glued to the TV. I have always wanted Tech to be known nationally, but not like this! I wanted it for the sports teams not making tragic history! I have to admit I am a little peeved at the media, but whats new right? I do not fault the university at all for the way they handled things and were getting the word out. They did what they could... i dont think people are getting how LARGE campus is! Kids were already on their way to class... freshman are really the only ones that live on campus.

I agree with everything you say. I have such pride for our school and it hurts to have such major news be so devastating. I think there are a lot of orange and maroon prayers today

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 7:27:51 PM
Author: njc

Yes, I am with you on that. As you well know AJ was a freshman dorm. It was not a leap of faith that the dispute was a love triangle gone wrong w/ an RA. I saw Katie Couriccollary - her first question was about the lack of lock down. HER FIRST QUESTION FOR PETE''S SAKE. Not, how tragic!

My husband has been inconsolable. So So tragic.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I have been shaking since I heard the news from my brother this morning... his best friend (a close friend of the family) was in class in the engineering building during the shootings, but fortunately called my brother from his cell while on lockdown to let him know he was okay. He said they heard the gunshots and thought somebody was doing construction in the building before they saw all the police commotion out the window.
40.gif

His younger brother is also a Tech student, and lives in the dorm where the first shootings happened... such a horrible coincidence. I''ve talked to them since then (on IM, cell phone service has been spotty down there) and felt better knowing they were okay and together. But when I watched the footage of the police standing outside the building while 27 gunshots were fired, I was physically nauseaus thinking of him and all those other terrified students who were in there.
15.gif

What a miserable, miserable day.
7.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 7:38:53 PM
Author: indecisive
I do know that the VT community is strong and will do everything they can for victims and families.
Amen to that. 9/11 occured during my junior year and I never felt closer to my fellow students as I did in the weeks following that. Hokies United was actually started then and I was so proud of us and know they will be at the front of giving aid. The Tech community is one that pulls closer together and helps each other in difficult times.

I hope you hear from your friends soon!

I just ran into our neighbor while chasing our trash can down the street (stupid wind!) and I totally forgot her nephew is there. He is an RA in another hall and was luckily able to get in touch with her quickly. I am so glad he is okay.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
F&I - I missed that with Katie. I love it--in the latest news conference, the police spokesman "broke it down" on just how impossible it was to lock campus down and prevent people from getting on. I mean seriously... how do you lock down a 2600 acre cow field?! And how on earth do you predict someone going to the other side of campus and opening fire... we arent talking about a block, its more like a half mile or so between the two! Had they done stuff immediatly following the first shooting, they would be getting yelled at for "over reacting". You cant win.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
The media is behaving horribly right now! In this period where facts aren''t known, why don''t they talk about the facts of the school? How big it is, how many students there are, how many people from out-of-state or international locations, etc.

Instead they are conducting a witch-hunt! It''s like they want to take campus security, the police, and the university president and string them up! It''s outrageous and totally disrespectful. Imagine how they must feel right now.

I''m sure the police and university responded as best they could. 28,000 students on a 2600-acre campus is not the same as "locking down" an elementary school with 200 kids in one building. Duh! The media also seems to forget that this is COLLEGE - how many students are awake before 9-10am?

The police had no way of knowing this wasn''t a crime of passion where one dorm victim killed the other and then took his/her own life. How were they suppose to know there was a gunman with ammo strapped to his body on a mission to kill as many people as possible. I''m sure very few of them have ever seen such a gruesome thing - they probably spent a few moments in shock. Unlike the blood-thirsty media.

And do we really want to live in a society that protects against this kind of enemy?? There''d be cameras everywhere and we''d be living in a quasi-military environment.

Let''s be real here - we live in an open society governed by principles. We should look at why some people don''t think those principles apply to themselves. We need to look at why violence seems to be an answer for an increasing number of people.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
So so sad...

As a college student this is shocking and terrifying. FI called me this morning when the number was around 23...now 10 more dead. I can only imagine how a university bounces back from a tragedy like this. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this nightmare.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 8:26:48 PM
Author: starryeyed
The media is behaving horribly right now! In this period where facts aren''t known, why don''t they talk about the facts of the school? How big it is, how many students there are, how many people from out-of-state or international locations, etc.

Instead they are conducting a witch-hunt! It''s like they want to take campus security, the police, and the university president and string them up! It''s outrageous and totally disrespectful. Imagine how they must feel right now.

I''m sure the police and university responded as best they could. 28,000 students on a 2600-acre campus is not the same as ''locking down'' an elementary school with 200 kids in one building. Duh! The media also seems to forget that this is COLLEGE - how many students are awake before 9-10am?

The police had no way of knowing this wasn''t a crime of passion where one dorm victim killed the other and then took his/her own life. How were they suppose to know there was a gunman with ammo strapped to his body on a mission to kill as many people as possible. I''m sure very few of them have ever seen such a gruesome thing - they probably spent a few moments in shock. Unlike the blood-thirsty media.

And do we really want to live in a society that protects against this kind of enemy?? There''d be cameras everywhere and we''d be living in a quasi-military environment.

Let''s be real here - we live in an open society governed by principles. We should look at why some people don''t think those principles apply to themselves. We need to look at why violence seems to be an answer for an increasing number of people.
Ah, but, the media ALWAYS behaves horribly. I have no patience for most network news shows. There are too many other reliable places to get news. I can''t even watch this on tv. It''s just so very sad. You are right on all counts here Starry. People have free will which by and large is a fantastic thing. Many have and will continue to give their lives to be free in our world. Sadly, is comes with dire consequences at times.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this tradgedy. This is so very sad.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
It is just too awful to watch. Being from Virginia, you''ll know how important this school is -- everyone goes there! Luckily everyone we know of made it out alive, one was shot, and one was nearly shot. When that list is released... it will truly be a terrible time for everyone.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard that this student, 24, came from overseas last summer. He thought his girlfriend was seeing another man, they argued. An RA came into the dorm hall to see what was up, and he killed both of them. It is literally not safe to date or live or intervene. I had a crazy boyfriend in college, he stalked me, though the term was not in vogue at the time. People used to tell me, after seeing the movie Star 80, that the male lead reminded them of my ex. Luckily I was finally able to extricate myself, but there are obsessed people out there who cannot handle rejection and are so unstable that even a percieved rejection is enough to make them snap. One never knows what will set someone off. Sad thing is, she might NOT have been cheating, he just thought she was since he was clearly unstable. The dorm advisor was only doing his job and died doing it, and even that was not enough for this gunman. How terrible for all the parents who lost a child today.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart goes out to all of you with direct connections to VT. We go through Blacksburg every summer on our way to Mountain Lake, and it is a place of such quiet beauty. It is hard to imagine such a thing anywhere, but especially not there.

(And Blondie23, bless your heart. I can''t even imagine what you''ve been through either)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, Blondie, what an awful thing to have experienced and live with.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Blondie, I''m so sorry to hear about your experience. This whole thing has me shaken up a little, too, although I didn''t know anyone there, it really is quite an awakening. I feel so terribly for all the families. I can''t even imagine what they must be going through right now. They are having a memorial ceremony tomorrow night at a neighboring college, which I think is a good thing to do. Wish I could go and at least offer condolences.

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, it is almost 8 years to the day since Columbine (Aptil 14th, Hitler''s birthday or something heinous like that)...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I echo the sentiments of many by saying now that my heart really goes out to all affected by this tragedy. My co-workers and I sat in utter disbelief throughout the day as more news poured out from Blacksburg. It is a sad day for America.

One student was asked in a radio interview I heard earlier if she would attend tomorrow''s convocation, and she replied that (to paraphrase) she was leary of attending any sort of gathering where there were a lot of people congregating in one location after today''s events. I relate to that because ever since Sept. 11th I''ve worried every time I go to a concert, ball game, or other function where there are thousands of people gathered in a public venue. I imagine how easy it would be for a terrorist or other crazed person to do god knows what and kill a bunch of people for whatever reason.

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
wow i''m definitley not surprised the girl who was on campus during the shootings is leary about being in a crowded place after what happened. a few weeks ago, i was on a train where a riot in NY took place and a few gunshots were fired. i was verbally attacked but thank goodness my husband was there to help me. it was very small compared to what happened today, and i''m still shaken by it, i can''t imagine what sort of impact this event must have had on those actually experiencing it.

and monarch, i definitly understand your anxiety after 9/11, it''s truly a shame that no one can truly feel safe in the world anymore. however, i''m glad to read that many PSers loved ones are safe. my prayers still go out to everyone involved.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
DiamondFan--

Just to clarify, Columbine happend on April 20th, 1999, not the 14th...Friday is the anniversary

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m very sorry for everyone who has been touched by such tragedies... The Dawson shooting is still very fresh in my mind, so it shakes me to see it happen again.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My SIL called me last night to tell me her son, who's at the University of Tennesee, called her yesterday to say they were in lockdown because of a bomb threat.

I think part of the problem is copycat motivated. These kids, who are definitely wanting in some area of their lives, see the obvious commotion and attention something like this causes, and that prompts them to do stuff like this. And I don't know how you get away from it. We certainly can't not comment on something like this, although the media could certainly curb a lot of what comes out of their mouths. As starry said, they'll utter anything just to be talking..

It's a sad state of affairs. And I hate to say it, but I don't think it will stop.

I feel so sorry for the parents. My thoughts are with them, and those of you who may be affected by all this.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blondie, they said on the news it was within a couple of days of the anniversary of Columbine. I know it is also some date of significance, Hitler''s birthday or something like that.

It is such a scary world, Kent State seems like so long ago, and yet this stuff goes on, a woman was killed at CNN headquarters by an ex boyfriend, he dragged her out of a hotel where she worked and killed her in front of tons of people...someone gets fired and comes back and kills people...it is just insane.

They are saying this is the worst shooting in US history, let us pray no other crazy person decides to top this, many psychologists feel that people who do these things often feel indsignificant or overlooked and want to get everyone''s attention. I wish it were easier to spot those having mental health crises...

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
It''s such a tragedy. I got a call last night about it from a friend of one of my friends who hadn''t been accounted for yet. Shocking is an understatement for my feelings today when I was on foxnews and I saw her photo listed as one of the victims. I wasn''t too close to her but we had mutual friends and she was really a great person who will be missed.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissPru I''m so sorry that you knew someone who died in the tragedy. And Blondie -- I can''t even imagine the horror you and your schoolmates went through at Columbine.
15.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I am still numb right now. I am sure that some of you have seen pictures of Ryan Clark on the news. I just wanted to let everyone know what an amazing person he was. It is such a tragedy that the world is without him now and I don''t know how we will recover. His sister said that God needed another good angel and I know that is true. Hokies will be strong and I hope everyone appreciates every single day they have.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
My thoughts are with all who have lost friends and aquaintences in this tragedy. People all over the world have been affected...one of the teachers who was killed came from my home province here in Canada...when you think - a family just 2 hours away from you are grieving...makes you really see the devastation this has caused.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all!
emrose.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Again, to all the Hokies - You should be proud of your community. I am very sad for your losses; but, in sadness you give inspiration.

Perhaps find comfort that it is not this tragedy that you will be noted for. It is your strength of community that IS Hokie Pride that will be noted in history coming from this tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results