shape
carat
color
clarity

Violent Weather - 2024 Edition

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Figured a thread about the mysteries and terrors that the weather can bring is in order...this is merely a place to post about weather phenomenon happening this year.

If any fellow PS'ers experience detrimental loss, then please reach out to local, state, and even federal emergency assistance entities immediately. If any willing PS members nearby are willing to offer assistance or aid until emergency assistance is involved, then I figured this would be the place to ask for help or to offer help.

Some stormy and tornadic activity near my home this afternoon. Primary storm cell that produced the first tornado was heading right for my neighborhood then it abruptly changed direction and dodged us. Still didn't make it out fully unscathed, but a lot less than the folks that just lost everything. Heartbreaking.

The second storm system that did sweep over my neighborhood left us riddled with larger sized hail. My shoes are size 12, for scale.

Screenshot_20240426-200445-814.png

Screenshot_20240426-200516-279.png

Screenshot_20240426-200537-784.png

Screenshot_20240426-200603-539.png

received_350419134700398.jpeg

West of my home, about 7-8 miles, is where the tornado leveled about 40 homes and damaged countless others. First picture was taken by my daughter about 12 miles from her home. Second picture was taken by a good friend of my brother.

IMG_20240426_151348.jpg

IMG_20240426_195926.jpg

Some viewer-submitted footage that was submitted to one of the news stations:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @DejaWiz you probably know that @Arcadian does incredibly indepth threads during hurricane season frequently updating (oftentimes almost hourly) us all of the hurricanes path (typically Eastern Seaboard), strength, etc. She has the most amazing threads! I know tornadoes are a completely different animal, but I was thinking maybe you two would want to join forces?

Anyway, I'm so sorry you went through this and there was so much devastation. Glad that both you and your daughter were seemingly unscathed!

Oh, and I concur with @LilAlex!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that's terrifying! Hope you and your property are OK.

I think I would bezel-set that flatter one on the right.
Yoooo :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

I'm dead

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UGH!
So sorry this happened to you and your community! :blackeye:

I often think of how we in So. California are long overdue for the next big quake. :eek2:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
goodness thats some big hail!!! I am glad everything is ok with you all, my prayers for everyone else...we have had more tornado warnings in our little burg in the month of April than we have had in the last 10 years...its crazy...our son seen a tornado heading to our house about 3 or 4 weeks ago and literally seen it turn north, we have been lucky some of our neighbors out in the country not so much, but ours have been EF1 tornado's, hopefully this crazy weather settles down soon!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - so glad that monster changed course away from you! These storms are terrifying and leave so much damage in their wake. So happy that you and your family are safe. Hope the hail didn’t damage or ding anything.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so scary! I'm glad you and your family are okay, DejaWiz.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Those photos are heartbreaking, considering the havoc that has been wreaked on the owners. Hopefully, no live were lost but it is a a lifechanging event.

My sibling and her family had their home leveled several years ago by an EF3 tornado. They were fortunate to escape with their lives but life as they knew it changed completely. The cleanup was the first step and there was glass imbedded everywhere inside and out since there were about 8 homes decimated from the hit.

They learned to immediately head to the basement when a warning goes up. The tornado which hit their home was bouncing and they didn't have the luxury of watching a funnel approaching, only debris dropping across field. By the time they got half way down the steps to the basement, the windows were shattering in their home. When I finally got to see my sister 2 hours later, she still had shreds in insulation in her hair. Items and paperwork from their home were found over 40 miles away.

Her strong suggestion is when a potential tornado watch is going up, pack a bag with meds, glasses, computer, cell phone, purse, any important papers including insurance information, pajamas, change of clothes and underwear and put on good, strong shoes because walking out of the basement can be treacherous. Include a flashlight if the storm occurs at early evening or night. Place the items in a protected space in the basement or your shelter so all you will need to do is head to safety in the event a warning is sounded.

There will be few possessions left if you take a direct hit

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The destruction is horrendous. So far, (fingers crossed), I have heard of no deaths which is truly a miracle. My thoughts
are with the injured and those who now have to put their lives, homes, and businesses back together.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our Son in law has parents in Lincoln. We’ve been in touch and so far all is good! Quite a few of us PS folk live just west of Chicago and have been keeping an eye to the sky for days. Today the wind is crazy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, its gotten worse, and its still not over. Stay safe out there folks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like tomorrow will be a repeat for mid America. Stay safe DejaWiz and others!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results