shape
carat
color
clarity

videographer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I know this topic has been posted about a lot here but I don''t see any recent ''polls'' about it... I was wondering out of all of you current brides to be how many of you are going to pay for a videographer?

We had decided to not get one because of the budget (we''re already over budget and it would save us a few thousand probably), and the fact that we''re both kind of introverted essentially and thought it might be weird or awkward to watch ourselves on video. I''ve read many posts though that said that it was worth it. I''m kind of torn about it now...

I went to three weddings last year and none of them used one. I don''t want to wind up regretting it later on though.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
The year I turned 12 my parents bought a bulky, used, Panasonic camcorder and we used it all the time. All these years later, I still enjoy dusting off the old VHS tapes every once in awhile and watching my old chorus concerts, thanksgiving dinners, Christmas mornings. We have photos of most of those events, but there''s something so much more rich (and potentially embarassing) about the movement and sound that comes with video. To me, video provides a more detailed reminder of events. Our wedding will probably be the only time that we get all of our family members together in one place and I''m the nostalgic sort of person that wants to capture that magic as fully as possible to relive at a later date.

I think a good way to decide one way or the other is to ask yourself:

Am I more likely to regret *not* getting the videographer?

OR

Am I more likely to regret spending the extra money on the videographer?

~Heidi

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I had a videographer...and I am so so so happy I had one!

Let me tell you, as a post-bride...I spent a year pouring blood, sweat and tears into my wedding. Every detail was painstakingly thoughtout, each aspect was loveingly arranged for...and when the day arrive, it was over in the blink of an eye... I had a wonderful photographer who snapped the day in a sweet way, and we enjoy our photos...but our videographer really captured our wedding day. I can''t tell you how hard my husband and I laughed as we watched our guests dancing during the reception, or how special it is to hear the toasts our loved ones gave!

My husband and I went back and forth as to weither we should have a videographer or not...eventually, we came to the conclusion that -- given the opportunity -- we would love to have seen our grandparents wedding, or great grandparents wedding...and we will now have the chance to give that to our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren...Our wedding will now last forever, how special and cool is that?!?!?

I believe in being budget friend when the opportunity presents itself...but somethings are truly once in a lifetime, and if you miss it--it''s gone, there are no do overs... You''re already spending thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on your wedding...and in the end all you''ll have are the memories.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
It''s funny... I grew up with tons of home movies. My dad loved to film them. And they are great to watch again... I had a sneaking suspicion I might regret not doing it... My fi doesn''t want to do it at all so it will be a tough sell. I still somewhat dread seeing my adult self on camera... kind of like hearing your recorded voice or something... just seems odd.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock

In the battle of excess Nate and I are actually trying to agree on 1 videographer vs 2 heeh so I can understand what a hard sell these things can be.

Is there any particular reason your FI *doesn't* want a videographer (other than cost)?

I know Nate's main concern is that they will be obtrusive and I'm sure that's true to a point but no doubt a good videographer tries very hard to capture the important moments without being too "in your face". As Italiahaircolor said, the video is a gift both to yourself and future generations. In my mind, that's worth the financial cost and small inconvenience :)

Maybe if we know what is really keeping your FI from agreeing (besides the cost), we can help you come up with a more persuasive argument ;-)

~Heidi

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Also, the cost for a videographer can vary a lot from company to company. If budget is an issue, there are videographers out there that offer "raw" footage (unedited, no fancy effects) for well under $1000 (at least in my area). Adding on music soundtracks, special effects, editing, costs extra of course but if your main concern is capturing the day, an affordable "raw" footage option might allow you to get your wedding on video and potentially even have it edited in the future when you have more money.

~Heidi

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
We''re not doing one. Part of it is the cost of getting a good one. I personally don''t see much point in paying someone to make a poor quality video for you when you could just as soon have one of your friends bring a camcorder. The other part is I don''t want to be filmed all day. There is enough stress and anxiety involved in the whole process without feeling like my every move is caught on tape. The regular camera I can deal with, and we will probably put together a slide show from our photos. We may or may not have a friend film some of the reception if someone has a camera readily available, or I may even ask my dad to pull out his 8mm recorder that he used when we were kids. Also, because we are getting married in a planetarium, even getting still photos to come out is a challenge. I think it would end up being a mostly useless endeavor to try to film in there, unless we bring in extra lights, which then kills the effect of the stars (which is the whole point). I understand why people do them, and even though later there may be a small piece of me that would like to have a moving picture of the day, I don''t want it enough to go through the expense and discomfort, especially for something we are unlikely to watch. FI agrees. But this is a very personal decision -- I can only tell you why we have decided not to do it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We booked our videographer last week. It was one thing that D and I bought said that we definitely wanted as it will be so great to look back on the day for years to come. The one thing that I''m really excited to see is everyone arriving at the church before I arrive-I''m dying to see them talking and looking all dressed up and happy. There are some things that a camera can''t pick up. Our videographer starts at 12, when I''m getting ready and finishes at 11pm so he will catch footage of the first bit of the dancing as well. It''s definitely a personal decision but for us, we''re delighted that we have one. Plus our photographer has tiny microphone that we can attach to the inside of our dress/suit so he doesn''t have to be on top of us when we''re saying our vows.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Videographers are very expensive, I believe -- if memory serves me -- my parents paid about 6k for ours. We had unlimited hours, 3 videographers, many, many, many special effects, lots of music....watching it is really more like watching a movie than watching a boring old wedding video!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am really glad we got a video done as well. DH and I have watched it SO many times (and we have only been married 1.5 years). Plus it was nice to show to the family members who couldn''t/didn''t come to the wedding. If you can''t afford a professional I would at least get a friend to video it for you.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
The quote i got for an 80 person and under wedding raw footage was about 1700, with a highlights vid set to music. If you want two camera men and a nicer deal they have a $2800 package. Then it just goes up from there. That''s the problem though, we keep adding on $100 here, $500 there... we''re already over budget by 4k. It''s hard though when you REALLY get your heart set on things. I talked to my FI about it yesterday... he''s not totally against the idea but he''s frugal and cringes at the idea of shelling out yet another couple grand. Our flower budget already doubled. blah.

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 10:24:51 AM
Author: violet02
The quote i got for an 80 person and under wedding raw footage was about 1700, with a highlights vid set to music. If you want two camera men and a nicer deal they have a $2800 package. Then it just goes up from there. That''s the problem though, we keep adding on $100 here, $500 there... we''re already over budget by 4k. It''s hard though when you REALLY get your heart set on things. I talked to my FI about it yesterday... he''s not totally against the idea but he''s frugal and cringes at the idea of shelling out yet another couple grand. Our flower budget already doubled. blah.

The quote you received doesn''t seem totally ludacris but you may want to track down a few more videographers in your area and ask for quotes from them as well; you''ve got nothing to lose by asking. The first videographer I almost booked was about $1600 for the whole day (and that includes all the editing, not just the raw footage and a travel fee since my wedding seems to be miles from civilization) and then I found a videographer that I liked just as well who can offer me the same package for $1100. It really pays to ask around :)

When I find myself adding more cost to one area, I try to remove cost from another area but I''ve already run out of places to cut back so I can totally feel your pain :D I thought I had a realistic budget all worked out and all I can seem to do lately is add to it :razz: I find watching "rich bride, poor bride" really helps because I feel incredibly frugal when compared to most of the couples on that show ;-)

~Heidi

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Holy crap...I cannot believe 6k on a videographer! I''ve having a hard enough time trying to convince the Fi to spend a $1000 on one!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, 6k was a lot...believe me, I know that...but what I spent on vendors is really hard to gauge when talking to other people...I had absolutely no budget and my parents paid for everything--they never even discussed a budget with Mark and I and when we asked they made a point of always telling us that our wedding was there gift to us, and their formal send off to me. I was all set on hiring a videographer for about $1500, but then we found Robert
30.gif
30.gif
and his work was so so so much better, we had to have him...PERIOD! But, lol, I felt that way about most everything we had at our wedding.

**maybe someday I''ll start a thread about my wedding and share pictures...but I''m just to lazy to be that creative** Sorry to thread-jack, btw.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
There''s a videographer around here that starts at $5,500. Its a ton of money but in their sample DVD I can really see a world of difference from the less expensive videographer. A lot of the money is for the editing-- the talent and the hours.

That being said, we might end up with a basic package from a more affordable person because we just don''t have room in our budget. If things change somehow, the first thing I''d add money to is the video budget.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''m going to have to have a friend tape it. I think a photogapher is more important and our budget will only allow for $2000 for both!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results