shape
carat
color
clarity

Videographer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of using a Videographer to get photos? My finace
9.gif
told me that some videographers will video the entire wedding and then will show you the wedding frame by frame to get pictures. I guess they will video tape groups pictures and what not. Has anyone done this or heard of it? I wonder how well the pictures turn out.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
My cousin did that, but she also had a "real" photographer in case the video ones didn''t come out as nice as she had hoped. Her video photos were just OK (IMO); they got a lot of cute candids and action shots but the professional photgrapher ones were much better. Much richer colors and more detailed than the video pics.

HTH!

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Pebbles....I love photography and neither I nor my fiance like to have our pictures taken, so the pictures are what I will splurge on. He mentioned this to me and, although, a cost savings I didn''t think it was a good idea.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
No problem!

I should have added in my first post that what she wound up doing, which I thought was a good idea, is have the videographer at places that the photographer wasn''t at. For example, she had the photographer at her parents house taking pics of her getting ready there, and the videographer at her fiance''s parent''s house b/c he had all the groomsmen meet there. There were some really cute pics and video of his dad walking in the house with 20 bags of food from McDonald''s for the guys, and his mom freaking out b/c the videographer was chasing her around the house when she was in only a robe.
2.gif
It cost more to do it that way (most videographers you pay by the hour or have a package for so many hours) but the stuff they have is priceless.
1.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Well that is a good idea.. I wanted to do that too, have a photographer at both places. Her photographer didn''t have an assistant? Or this is just what she choose to do?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Her photographer did not have an assistant - she would have to pay extra for that and decided not to since they were going to have a videographer either way.

fx1-guy

Rough_Rock
I just had to comment on this... Fair warning- I do event video (mostly dance/theater) and in the last few years have started doing weddings. I also enjoy photography, and I have shot stills at weddings too.

I put some still frames from one wedding video I shot online the day after the event, just to give the family something to look at while I edited the video (normally a minimum of several weeks). The bride's mother was eager to see them and had 50 copies of a "walking down the aisle" video-still printed out and handed them out to friends. I guess she didn't want to wait until she got the proofs from the real photographer. I thought the video prints were a bit blurry, but she really liked them. When the subject is really interesting, people tend to forgive slight technical imperfections :).

To me, there's no question that still frames from a real (film or digital) still camera are much better quality than video still frames. That's my opinion even though I mostly do video, and I bought my high-definition video camera hoping to get good stills from dance performances. I cannot get a satisfactory 8x10" still, even from good "high-def" video. But if you only want a small print (eg. 3x5) or for web use online, there are probably some great candids on the video that a photographer would never get.

Not that it may be relevant to you, but some photogs feel threatened when the video guy shoots over his shoulder during group shots, thinking they are loosing reprint sales because of it. We video folks always dismissed this idea, since we know the video stills don't compare in quality (particularly larger group photos where you want to identify faces). If brides are actually buying video stills now as a photo replacement, I can see their point though.

for what it's worth!
a (mostly) video guy

fx1-guy

Rough_Rock
Oh- a followup. I just realized why she may have printed out my video stills. She might have used a friend''s candid shot for this purpose, if she could have. But there were no candid shots from the audience at the ceremony, because this was a restrictive church that does not allow personal photos at all. They permit just one pro photographer in the very last row, and video from one of the choir lofts. So until the proofs came back, my video stills were all there was.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Fx1-guy....your input really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results