shape
carat
color
clarity

Vibration or Shock affect Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that inclusions can extend in a diamond from using an ultrasonic. Can an ultrasonic actually start a new crack or feather in a diamond?

Also would the vibration or shock affect a diamond in the same room as where my husband was banging in nails into the floor and the shelf the jewellery box was standing on was shaking from either shock or vibration due to this activity?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The simple answer to all of this is "no".

Hitting nails into a shelf will not break a diamond in a ring sitting in a box on the shelf.

An ultrasonic has never been known to spontaneously create a break or cleavage in a diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your reply thankyou. The nails were not being knocked into the shelf but the floor in the same room.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think the vibration from knocking in nails would have enlarged an inclusion in my ring - which has a SI1 and a I1 diamond in it?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Refresh.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
no. this won't create damage in a diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it also be the case then than ultrasonic jewellery cleaning machines do not enlarge existing inclusions - I keep reading that it does?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This would be far more commonplace in emerald than in a diamond. I suppose it might happen in a diamond once in a great while, under special circumstances, but not normally.

One might have a diamond that had intenal strain that heat and ultrasound released. One might be using a strong ultrasonic suitable for metal parts and not gem material. Those would be the most common reasons for something weird to take place.

In using an ultrasonic carefully, I have never seen anyone break or increase the inclusions present in a diamond. Now doubt, there are hearsay tales around that it has happened to some unfortunate person, but I don't think I ever met one person who had it happen to them and had any proof of their being correct. Maybe they thought it was the ultrasonic, but they really were not 100% certain of it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again. Lastly are the cheap sonic cleaners safe as well on diamond as I read they vibrate due to the motor being off centre?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Again, I never saw a diamond injured by an ultrasonic. I sell an "inexpensive" unit myself and I believe it is safe for diamond and most jewelry. It is not good for emerald, tanzanite, pearl, peridot and a few others, but diamonds, no problem.

Vibration is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results