shape
carat
color
clarity

Vespergirl and other pianists

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I took piano lessons starting at age 12 to when I finished high school at 18. I loved it and I practiced a lot. But then I went to college and didn''t have easy access to a piano so I sort of gave it up.

Now it''s 12 years later and I''ve got a cheapo keyboard in my apartment and I''ve love to try to pick up where I left off. Or at least get back there. But I don''t have the time or money to take lessons.

The last "lesson book" I completed was "Alfred Basic Piano Level 6", and I finished that about 2-3 years before I stopped taking lessons. After that we just played sheet music that my teacher supplied. But now I have already played and practiced all the music that I own and even from 12 years ago, the muscle memory is pretty powerful and it''s relatively easy and it''s getting boring.

So I need some new music, but I have no idea where to start? Do you have any recommendations for an adult intermediate? I''m hesitant to just buy something cause I''m scared it will either be too hard or too easy and then I''ll either get frustrated or bored.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:35:47 PM
Author:basil
I took piano lessons starting at age 12 to when I finished high school at 18. I loved it and I practiced a lot. But then I went to college and didn''t have easy access to a piano so I sort of gave it up.

Now it''s 12 years later and I''ve got a cheapo keyboard in my apartment and I''ve love to try to pick up where I left off. Or at least get back there. But I don''t have the time or money to take lessons.

The last ''lesson book'' I completed was ''Alfred Basic Piano Level 6'', and I finished that about 2-3 years before I stopped taking lessons. After that we just played sheet music that my teacher supplied. But now I have already played and practiced all the music that I own and even from 12 years ago, the muscle memory is pretty powerful and it''s relatively easy and it''s getting boring.

So I need some new music, but I have no idea where to start? Do you have any recommendations for an adult intermediate? I''m hesitant to just buy something cause I''m scared it will either be too hard or too easy and then I''ll either get frustrated or bored.
Hey Basil! That''s so great that you are getting back into playing again! At times that I had stopped playing (after spending 4 years earning a music degree, I needed some time off) I eased back into it by finding books that offered simplified versions of my favorite pieces.

The Alfred series actually has some excellent choices. For instance, they have ones with titles like "Chopin''s Easiest Piano Pieces," or Beethoven''s Simplified Piano Sonatas" or something like that. They have wonderful pieces (e.g. Moonlight Sonata) that are designed for an intermediate skill level. After I took a couple of years off from practicing, it was a lot of fun to ease into it again with those books. Another composer you may want to check out is Debussy - his minimalist compositions are very beautiful, and not that difficult to play.

That''s so great that you''re going to get back into it!
36.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I also want to get back into playing. My parents have offered me their yamaha piano from their living room because, although they both (used to) play, they don''t make time for it anymore. I''m not luggin that baby anywhere until I move into my dream four bedroom house. Plus it needs tuned and that''s a pretty $200.

I like "The Piano Bench of Classical Music"

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a music/piano store near you? I always enjoyed flipping through their racks of books, and most music shops frequently have a mix of both instruction and compilation book styles. Even stores like Borders will have a piano music section. Since you can open the books and flip through (something most online retailers can''t offer), you can usually get a feel for difficulty just by looking at the music. In the case of the music shops, you could even sit down at one of the pianos in store and give a song or two a stab.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I pulled a couple of my daughter''s music books:

John Thompson''s Modern Course for the Piano (the main objective of this book is to develop a comprehensive understanding of the basic laws of interpretation and has 24 short preludes in all keys as preparatory exercises in lieu of finger drills)

Piiano Literature (Vol 3) for Intermediate Grades- compiled & edited by James Bastien

Listed in the Bastien book is Bastien Piano for Adults - Book 1 (KP1) & Book 2 (KP2)
Older Beginner Piano Course Levels 1 & 2
Piano: the 2nd Time Around

If I find anymore of her old books I''ll post them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results