shape
carat
color
clarity

Very strange. Long story inside. Please help!

notanangel

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have a very strange question. I would be grateful if someone could tell something. Sorry, the story is long.

It is about my engagement diamond. My husband bought the stone online. It was amazing, beautiful diamond - E, VVS2 , Excellent cut and finish. And Evaluation report from local Gemologist confirmed all that and even higher price than it actually was. My husband sent it back to the diamond retailer to be set into the ring. Everything was fine and I loved the ring when I was proposed to. But later, already together, we bought the wedding ring from the same retailer and almost all the diamonds in it were badly chipped. We sent it back and the retailer received the ring but never credit us back. We actually managed to get money back only in a year, but I saw stories in internet that some people were less lucky and lost everything. That unpleasant experience made me to suspect even my engagement ring. So we brought the ring to the GIA (we live very close) and asked them to confirm that the stone was the same as was in the appraisal. We had to leave the ring in GIA for one week and to pay about $50.00 (I do not remember exactly). After one week we received my ring back and the document confirming the previous appraisal. The ring (stone) looked the same to me and I forgot about it for a while. Some day later I was looking at my ring again, I compared it with my fake earrings and noticed that the the diamond in ring is now more yellow that my fake stones in earrings. I did this comparison before giving it to GIA and I remember very well that the real diamond was kind of almost white to compare with fake stones. And now it is opposite. So, I do not know what to think. Is my diamond turning yellow itself? Is it possible?....Could be there any explanation? :cry:

Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How often do you clean it?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What metal is the ring including prongs?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your diamond's inclusions are plotted out on the diamond certificate that you had at purchase, it should be easy to identify the stone. Diamonds cannot turn yellow on their own and I would find it highly unlikely that someone working for GIA would switch out the diamond. Your stone - or fifteen stones for that matter - would not be worth the risk to an outfit such as GIA.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are little boxes of mirrors that reflect what's around them.

When it looked yellow were you wearing a yellow dress, blouse or hat?
Were the walls of that room painted Yellow?
Was the light source relatively yellow, as in tungsten light bulbs or sunset time?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you clean the diamond regularly before you sent to GIA? A dirty diamond can appear cloudy and somewhat WHITE, because any debris would scatter light. This is why clouds (in the sky) are white.

I am sure GIA gave the stone thorough cleaning before any inspection. Any yellow color now you see may be the true reflection of surrounding environment and lighting condition.

Also a clean diamond disperses light more effectively, giving off different colors, including yellow. Again, a dirty diamond would diffuse light, and is not so good at light dispersion.

I know this because I cleaned my mom's E VVS at a mall store first time in three years???? Yeap.. after cleaning, it was yellow under the store light.. in a good way of course. My wife's J is turning into H color, because she has not cleaned hers not a once in 10 months :naughty: actually, I am going to secretly clean hers and see how it changes. i am curious...

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Residues from hand sanitizer as well as hard water have been know to leave a film that causes "discoloration." The film can be removed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who did you take the ring to this last time? You said GIA, but I don't think GIA grades stones set in a ring. Was it the same gemologist that did the first appraisal? If so, I would take it to another appraiser, preferably an independent one who is not a jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results