shape
carat
color
clarity

Very nice...window

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
915FA1F9-F69D-41ED-9C0F-9B08118E34CA.jpeg found this gem (pun intended) on instagram today. Textbook definition of a window and what NOT to buy. I believe it is a colorless sapphire. Let’s see who can top it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E17C4F4E-495C-4EDA-98D5-2C65C37F862F.jpeg B1C906A6-271B-45C8-986E-05F7A7369B34.jpeg No one can top the Hooker emerald or the Logan sapphire for windows though.

Attachments

• 66C83B2B-C544-467E-B08F-FC2304065E53.jpeg
    66C83B2B-C544-467E-B08F-FC2304065E53.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 51

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the colorless sapphire was done with that window intentionally for a certain look. That’s a matter of taste. Not telling someone what not to buy.
The blue sapphire and the emerald were done that way for other reasons, and the window is a result of those decisions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the colorless sapphire was done with that window intentionally for a certain look. That’s a matter of taste. Not telling someone what not to buy.
The blue sapphire and the emerald were done that way for other reasons, and the window is a result of those decisions.

I suspect the Hooker and Logan were cut to retain weight rather than for beauty, which is the case with many windowed gems. I am personally turned off by their windows because the concentration of color is only along the edges of these stones. For me, color trumps enormous size.

I think the only gems where I can personally accept a huge window are rose cut diamonds, because they have other aesthetic qualities that make them attractive, especially as side stones.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect the Hooker and Logan were cut to retain weight rather than for beauty, which is the case with many windowed gems. I am personally turned off by their windows because the concentration of color is only along the edges of these stones. For me, color trumps enormous size.

I think the only gems where I can personally accept a huge window are rose cut diamonds, because they have other aesthetic qualities that make them attractive, especially as side stones.

I thought I was ok with windows until I was hit with a set of windowed zircon melee. Now my rule is absolutely no windows and now I always state no windows, even if it can sometimes be hidden in the setting. I still think windows can be hidden and can be acceptable but it requires careful thought before commitment. Which I am now very careful of. Love rose cut diamonds as side stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes , zircon should be well cut to show off their full beauty. There’s a bit more leeway with diamonds due to their high RI and fine luster. However a perfectly cut diamond is amazing, especially as melee.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it all circles around to (of course) taste, the intended effect of the finished jewelry, and making those choices for an educated reason.
Totally different scenario of someone popping in with a windowed peice and asking if they have found a precision cut, top tier trade ideal specimen. Or most usually, “is it good?”

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it all circles around to (of course) taste, the intended effect of the finished jewelry, and making those choices for an educated reason.
Totally different scenario of someone popping in with a windowed peice and asking if they have found a precision cut, top tier trade ideal specimen. Or most usually, “is it good?”

Great point. That is the most common scenario (unfortunately). Very different from someone liking the aesthetic of a piece that was cut purposely to be "windowed".

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

Good point and I didn’t think about it that way. The window is actually perfect and it could be combined with an interesting setting, although I admittedly know nothing about jewelry.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Some old school diamonds are cut as tablets with some facets on the border - I will not protest...

- inlayed diamond mirror shards www
- nothing there www
- a blue window www
- FYI www

A couple of such IG items remind synchrotron screens - not so little slabs of defect-less diamond, that are not used in new devices (much that I know); surreal polish makes these invisible - spectacularly 'not there'.

No idea how many fans these diamonds have - likely more than one!

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
How about the ORLOV, looks like a "window" from the Imperial Sceptre picture?

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I follow Topnotchfaceting & Trebliganna on Instagram & they both cut stones like that. I’ve seen diamonds with windows like that called portrait. Definitely intentional and not for everyone’s taste!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only windows I like are those in a house to let in all the light and sunshine. Otherwise I am so not a fan of windows. Especially those you can drive a truck through...

drivingthroughwindow.jpg

Not a fan of the portrait cut but no judgments on my part. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I disagree that’s a “classic window”
To me a window is a faceted area that’s cut poorly causing that see through effect. Not a flat culet. To be fair - portrait cuts like that are as see through as can be- but different than a windows

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
F041B010-26D7-4B50-91FC-5E19A96D6779.png
Here’s my baby I was told “not to buy” because her window was as wide as a truck
That's stunning! And set so beautifully, too. Thanks for sharing this slightly opposing viewpoint.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always assumed huge windows in gemstones sucked but I watched people on IG describe them in the Victorian period as intentional showing the finger under or through a gemstone as something sensual, teasing, and how they could be viewed erotically. I have a collection of antique gems with windows, I now see them in a completely different way, in fact, I now actually like and can appreciate the historical context of the windows in many of them....

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I always assumed huge windows in gemstones sucked but I watched people on IG describe them in the Victorian period as intentional showing the finger under or through a gemstone as something sensual, teasing, and how they could be viewed erotically. I have a collection of antique gems with windows, I now see them in a completely different way, in fact, I now actually like and can appreciate the historical context of the windows in many of them....

I kind of like the intentional windows. Not something I would go out of my way to buy, but I do get their appeal.

I'm pretty new to gemstones and for now am very tolerant of windows because they're a way to get some fun coloured stones (that are a little bigger) for less. I think if I was picking a piece for "real" jewellery, I might be more discerning.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really interesting thread. Before I joined PS I had no idea what windows were in a stone. ;)2

915FA1F9-F69D-41ED-9C0F-9B08118E34CA.jpeg found this gem (pun intended) on instagram today. Textbook definition of a window and what NOT to buy. I believe it is a colorless sapphire. Let’s see who can top it!

I absolutely LOVE this! I can totally see this as a gorgeous pendant... I would do a highly polished metal back (maybe RG) with enamel painting with this stone on top, kind of like a bezel setting. In my mind’s eye that would be beautiful!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
So it seems I had no idea that this type of cut was a thing.

Not my taste but hey, I sort of see the point by now :)

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Obligatory post of Anna Gilbert (trebliganna)'s work. Absolutely an aesthetic choice. Not to everyone's tastes, but I think some of them have such a classic elegance. Intentionality of windows matters, I believe :)

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.32.50 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results