shape
carat
color
clarity

Vera Wang Sample Sale

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ladies -

I''m a newbie and wanted to know if anyone has ever been to Vera Wang''s sample sale in NYC?? If so, what was it like (besides crazy)?? What are the selections like and is it worth the trip??

Since I live in NYC, the very first place on my list of salons to visit was Vera Wang. I FELL IN LOVE with a strapless, mermaid gown that has a gorgeous eyelet pattern around the bottom of the skirt. If you go to her website it''s under Bridal > Vera Wang > #3. It truly is STUNNING on me and I feel like it''s the one (my sister, FI''s sister AND my mom agree). However, I''d like to check out the sample sale just to see what''s there since I''d be paying for something that''s significantly lower in price.

Let me know!
1.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering the same thing. You''re talking about the sample sale tomorrow (Sat 12/2) in NYC right? I wanted to know if I should wear specific undergarments to facilitate trying on dresses? I mean, I''m assuming a Vera Wang sale will still be more civilized than the giant Filene''s Basement Bridal Gown event...so hopefully I can dress in private?

Anyone have stories to share about bridal gown sample sales?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ladies,
How''d the sale go?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I wish there were a sample sale out here. I see the box sitting in my wife''s closet and it amazes me how much money is sitting in that box, never to be worn again.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
hudson_hawk...I ended up not going!
7.gif
I''m really sad I didn''t get to go. I wish I had some advice on what sample sales are like, but I guess I''ll just have to wait till the next one by some other designer! I''ll make sure to post if I do.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I ended up going to the sample sale and found my dream dress!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

However, my friend works for Vera Wang and apparently they let the friends and family of their employees in an hour before the sale is open to the general public. So, I was able to have the whole place practically to myself which was an amazing experience! There was one other girl there with me trying on dresses (she ended up buying her dress there too) and we both had so much fun!
31.gif
I felt so bad for the girls standing in the monsterous line outside the ballroom (they only let in 50 at a time). I'm not sure how long they've all been standing there, but the line was HUGE!

Now, on the plus side, we were amazed by the condition of the dresses - they were really in good shape!
6.gif
They probably had about 200 wedding dresses (maybe less). They also carried about 200 bridesmaid dresses which they were selling at $25 a pop! My sister and friend both ended up buying some dresses which they could wear to formal events. They also sell Vera Wang's line of lingerie and shoes.

All and all, it's definitely worth going to if you don't mind waking up at the crack of dawn and standing in line for hours. I probably wouldn't have gone at all if it wasn't for my friend getting me in early because I had fallen in love with a Vera Wang dress at the salon and would've just bought that - even though it was pretty pricey. The dress I found was marked down to $2,600 (not sure what the original price was, but her low end dresses usually start at around $4,000) and my friend got me 20% off of that. The cheapest dress I tried on there was about $1,700, but that doesn't mean they didn't have anything cheaper than that. The most expensive dress I tried on was $6,000, but it was part of their Luxe collection in which dresses start at $10,000.

The sizes were anything from a 4 to a 14. Most of the dresses were 8's or 10's (which would be 6 or 8 in regular women's sizes). I still have to get my altered a little, but not much other than putting in a bustle has to be done. I'm still trying to find a picture to post of it - I'm not sure what season it is, so it makes the search more difficult. I was told they only had a few dresses from this season most were from 2005 and 2006, but they aren't marked so you if you've done your research, you're able to tell which ones are from which seasons.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on finding The One--and at a sample sale! Good for you. Now don''t be a tease and give us some photos!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
oh..i got engaged dec 1st and wasn''t back home in ny till dec 3rd! it''s probabyl way too early to be buying a dress (need to do other planning first) but i would have loved to have gone to the sample sale! Are there any others or anything similar in the city? how expensive is a VW dress?

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
There are tons of sales this time of year - but you can find out all the best ones just by going to your favorite designer''s website. Vera Wang dresses typically start at around $4,000. You should at least go to the salon here in NY to try them on - what an experience that is! Take full advantage of what the city has to offer since we have so many great designers here and they all have sales at one point or another - I love NY!!
9.gif

Also, sign up for Topbutton.com which gives you weekly updates of all NYC''s sample sales. It''s a great resourse for brides looking to catch a good bargain!
36.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
My wife''s was around $4300.
6.gif
Her heart was set on one that cost over $6000.
14.gif
Luckily, she really realized $4000+ was already a TON of money for a dress and she really liked the cheaper one as well.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I hear ya Codex57 - the one that I wanted in the store was $4,350.
6.gif
I was going to buy it too because I absolutely loved it and couldn't get mind off of it - I compared every dress I tried on to it. BUT, since my friend got me into the Vera Wang sample sale early, I was able to find a dress which was equally as beautiful for a little less, so I would've been foolish not to buy it. Plus, it was the same color, style and shape as the one in the store.
36.gif

BTW - they tell you at the salon NOT to try on dresses that cost over the amount you want to pay for the fact that girls end up falling in love with dresses they can't afford and then become fixated on them. I learned that to be true! Thank god I didn't try on ones which were in the Luxe section!
9.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 5:18:41 PM
Author: blushingbride
BTW - they tell you at the salon NOT to try on dresses that cost over the amount you want to pay for the fact that girls end up falling in love with dresses they can't afford and then become fixated on them. I learned that to be true! Thank god I didn't try on ones which were in the Luxe section!
9.gif

My wife's got a good head on her shoulders, thank goodness. Yeah, she knew she'd be sorely tempted. But, we could afford the dress. The $6000 one too wouldn't have killed us, but there comes a point where you just gotta draw the line, ya know? Bill Gates doesn't buy a country cuz he can. I actually blame her friend (not like there's anything to actually blame). Super, super sweet girl. Only one who had the time and knowledge to really help her with some of the details of the wedding. Unfortunately, this girl comes from a sickingly rich family so she sometimes forgets that some of these luxe items really put a hurting on our finances, even if we can technically afford them. It just forced us to make sacrifices elsewhere in the wedding. Not too big a deal to us altho some other people thought we were crazy to cut out things like a videographer.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 3:01:55 PM
Author: codex57

BTW - they tell you at the salon NOT to try on dresses that cost over the amount you want to pay for the fact that girls end up falling in love with dresses they can''t afford and then become fixated on them. I learned that to be true! Thank god I didn''t try on ones which were in the Luxe section!
9.gif

My wife''s got a good head on her shoulders, thank goodness. Yeah, she knew she''d be sorely tempted. But, we could afford the dress. The $6000 one too wouldn''t have killed us, but there comes a point where you just gotta draw the line, ya know? Bill Gates doesn''t buy a country cuz he can. I actually blame her friend (not like there''s anything to actually blame). Super, super sweet girl. Only one who had the time and knowledge to really help her with some of the details of the wedding. Unfortunately, this girl comes from a sickingly rich family so she sometimes forgets that some of these luxe items really put a hurting on our finances, even if we can technically afford them. It just forced us to make sacrifices elsewhere in the wedding. Not too big a deal to us altho some other people thought we were crazy to cut out things like a videographer.

That''s so true. Since I live in NYC, most girls I know have designer dresses and don''t mind paying the price (whether they can afford them or not!
6.gif
). I was willing to pay for the one not on sale and it wouldn''t have done much damage to our finances, but my fiance felt like we could use the money on other things down the road - on something unrelated to our wedding. At the same time, he wanted me to be happy and love my dress, so it was hard.

BTW - I had to laugh at the videographer part! We aren''t having one either - if you think about it, how often do you/will you look at your actual wedding photos? You''ll look at that video even less than that. My friend had one and she''s been married for 5 years and watched it twice - once with her husband and the second time with me after I begged her to see. Other than that, it''s collecting dust.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 4:03:17 PM
Date: 12/8/2006 3:01:55 PM

Author: codex57

BTW - they tell you at the salon NOT to try on dresses that cost over the amount you want to pay for the fact that girls end up falling in love with dresses they can''t afford and then become fixated on them. I learned that to be true! Thank god I didn''t try on ones which were in the Luxe section!
9.gif

My wife''s got a good head on her shoulders, thank goodness. Yeah, she knew she''d be sorely tempted. But, we could afford the dress. The $6000 one too wouldn''t have killed us, but there comes a point where you just gotta draw the line, ya know? Bill Gates doesn''t buy a country cuz he can. I actually blame her friend (not like there''s anything to actually blame). Super, super sweet girl. Only one who had the time and knowledge to really help her with some of the details of the wedding. Unfortunately, this girl comes from a sickingly rich family so she sometimes forgets that some of these luxe items really put a hurting on our finances, even if we can technically afford them. It just forced us to make sacrifices elsewhere in the wedding. Not too big a deal to us altho some other people thought we were crazy to cut out things like a videographer.

That''s so true. Since I live in NYC, most girls I know have designer dresses and don''t mind paying the price (whether they can afford them or not!
6.gif
). I was willing to pay for the one not on sale and it wouldn''t have done much damage to our finances, but my fiance felt like we could use the money on other things down the road - on something unrelated to our wedding. At the same time, he wanted me to be happy and love my dress, so it was hard.

BTW - I had to laugh at the videographer part! We aren''t having one either - if you think about it, how often do you/will you look at your actual wedding photos? You''ll look at that video even less than that. My friend had one and she''s been married for 5 years and watched it twice - once with her husband and the second time with me after I begged her to see. Other than that, it''s collecting dust.

Hahaha. Thanks. Yeah, we were like, "When are we ever gonna sit for an extended period of time to watch the video? We''re already getting a ton of pictures." But, a TON of people kept telling us we were crazy and that we''d regret not having a videographer.

But we went through the same dilemna as your fiance. I just decided to go for the dress since it was the one thing that made her almost as happy and excited as the ring. Seeing her that happy, I just couldn''t say no. The practical side of me just couldn''t win that one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results