shape
carat
color
clarity

Venues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys! I''m the newest bride-to-be to stress about venues. I have a few options and they are already starting to give me a headache. First, I''d like to say that I''ve had the first "I wanna do a tiny bit of physical harm to my mother" moment because she started to get really pushy about wanting the reception to be at the ballroom commons at the university. She works there, and my fiance graduated from there and she thinks its pretty, etc etc...but neither my FI nor I really were that into it, plus we''d have to change the date because they are booked. I''m not willing to change my date for a place I''m not even that crazy about.

So, anyway...there are two frontrunners in FI and my minds. Now, remember this is Northeast Iowa and neither are as fancy as some of the breathtaking places I''ve seen on here...but they fit our comfort level and our budget. This place is a little more traditional and color neutral and could be decorated to look pretty.
The first one is at a golf course about 10 miles from where the ceremony will be held. It allows you to use their catering or bring in your own caterer.

http://www.golffoxridge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=6

The second place is in the woods. I don''t think I can go see it in person right now, because its right in the area that was majorly flooded. I figure it will be cleaned up, and maybe improved by next summer. My FI and I are very outdoorsy and love the woods. I do like the balcony and gazebo but I''m not thrilled with the darkness of the walls inside. I did attend one reception here, but I didn''t stay long and it was quite a few years ago.

Its the Rotary Reserve, scroll down past Hickory Hills (which I loved, but is too small to hold our estimated 250ish guests)
http://www.co.black-hawk.ia.us/depts/conservation.html

If money were no object, I''d go here.
http://www.barmuda.com/park_place/

Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks guys!

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock

Pics of Rotary Reserve

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Outside view

rotarydeckside.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Gazebo

rotarygazebo.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Inside

rotaryinside1.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Another view of inside.

rotaryinside2.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Fox Ridge

foxridge1.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Another view

foxridge2.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Last one from this venue

Sorry for all the pictures, but I figured it was easier than looking on websites.

foxridge3.jpg

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
First, what is your initial gut feeling when you look at each venue? Which one makes you really excited? Second, I would not count on the Rotary Reserve being all fixed up by next year. Remember Katrina? Often there are budget snafus, quibbling over which govt agency pays, etc. etc. The other consideration is...which place has the best food? People will remember your wedding by how good the food was (or wasn''t).

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Both places allow you to bring your own caterer. Fox Ridge has a caterer they contract with, but also lets you use your own if you wish. I just looked on the Conservation Board website and they say that the Rotary wasn''t flooded...which really shocks me because its very close to the river. Besides, our flooding has already been a whole different story than Katrina...so I hope the cleanup will follw along the same lines.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results